• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

jasonng

Not as cool as the old Chinese guy who walks around the projects near my house BACKWARDS every morning at 7:30.
Either you're talking about the same guy I'm thinking about or it's a common exercise among the elderly. I dismissed this as the latter.

El Sloth

Banned
Seeing as how this is a videogame forum I think these two should be added to the OP:

Manhattan
Videogames New York - http://www.videogamesnewyork.com/ A great place to find a whole bunch of old and obscure games and imported stuff. Also a great place to pick up arcade stick parts.

Brooklyn
Next Level Arcade - http://www.nycnextlevel.com/ If you are a fighting game fan, even just little bit, you should check this place out at least once. They have pretty much all the current fighting games you could be interested in playing and quite a few of old ones. It's called an arcade, but it isn't an arcade in the traditional sense. They only have 6(8?) SSIV arcade cabs, 1 KOF XII cab (although I'm not sure if it's still there since KOF XIII is out), a ghetto DDR copycat, and a touch screen rhythm game. It's mostly TV/console setups. Will also mod your arcade stick to work on both 360 and PS3 for a reasonable price. You can bring your own controller or rent them there (both regular controllers and arcade sticks).

Never. Keeping Staten Island was part of the deal to keep the Statue of Liberty.
Not worth it I say.
Crazy we are no way part of Jersey. We share the same dumbass mayor.
It's like you guys got the worst of both worlds. My condolences.

The Bulldog at Blockheads is worth the trip to NYC alone. Also Hogs'n Heffers and Lit Lounge are rad.

Nice thread idea though, would love to know some more great spots from some local NYC gaffers. I'm in the city at least a few times a year on bidness and always grab and extra night or two for fun

El Sloth

Banned
Also, locals who have a hard time finding a single place to check out some cool stuff happening in the city every week I recommend subscribing to http://nonsensenyc.com/ .

Quick example of what it looks like:
Jeff Stark said:
XXXXX FRIDAY, JANUARY 6 XXXXX

First Fridays at Fireproof

We at Power5 and Cluster Mag are pleased to present our second Installation of First Fridays at Fireproof #FFF in the historied Temporary Storage Gallery. A vodka company is generously providing a sponsored open vodka bar from 10-11p and slitherin' drink specials till that drink is drank. The night will be featuring sets by Mad Decent's DJs SEGA, Tameil, and Tiga of the world renowned Brick Bandits. On top of that we're bringing our JBL PRX600 setup to the mix, providing 9kw of sub bass and treble to bang hard all night long.

Other talent on display at this event includes Power 5's own Wizard K-Jee (founding member of Public Enemy and the Bomb Squad), JONQ, and Cluster Mag's Kat Fyte. Expect everything from Baltimore club, ghettotech, deep house dubstep, and good old hip hop at this one.

Brooklyn Fireproof
119 Ingraham Street, Brooklyn
10-4a; $7

***** Also on FRIDAY *****

SlideSerious MagicShare

Please join us for the third installment of Seriesous, when virtuous (and virtuoso) magician Noah Levine presents a magical workshop (quite literally) when he turns the Reliquary into a Petri-dish for the development of new close-magic tricks.

City Reliquary
370 Metropolitan Avenue, Williamsburg, Brooklyn
7:30p doors, 8p lecture; $5 suggested donation at the door
noahlevinemagic.com/

---

XXXXX SUNDAY, JANUARY 8 XXXXX

Improv Everywhere presents:

No Pants Subway Ride

The 11th Annual No Pants Subway Ride will be taking place in New York and dozens of cities around the world.

Details online.

Various locations, Manhattan
3p sharp; $free
improveverywhere.com/2012/01/03/no-pants-subway-ride-2012-details-for-new-york/

***** Also on SUNDAY *****

Fifth Annual Pro Pants Rally

The Pro Pants mission is to inform pantsless subway riders about the joys and advantages of pants and to persuade them to accept pants into their lives. The campaign's methods are highly effective: an estimated 100 percent of pantsless people enter a long-term pants-full lifestyle within 24 hours of encountering a Pro Pants representative.

Last year, Pro Pants representatives issued hundreds of questionnaires, distributed thousands of pamphlets, and gave away dozens of pairs of pants.

This year we expect to continue our perfect record. We need pamphleteers, questionnaire issuers, sandwich board wearers, pants fitters and distributors, and documenters. (We're shooting our first recruiting video.) If you're passionate about pants, get in touch.

acceptpants]at]gmail.com for details
3p; $free

And so on for all the days of the coming week and a few for the following week.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
OP, I would add Totonno's at Coney Island under Pizza. I don't know how many would venture to Midwood for pizza but if any gaffers visit Coney, Totonno's is pretty close.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Not American but live in NYC and I'm well travelled to metropoli around the world, Mumbai, cape town, london, Paris, Mexico city, Rome etc etc and NYC seems to have the whole major world city thing down the best out of what I've seen so far.

You're entitled to your views and i respect that, but if there was some sort of poll for the 'best city in the world', id be annoyed to see it be NY, IMO i just find it annoying when everything has to be a comp, all 'landmark' cities have there qualities, i don't see why there has to be a 'best'

Don't lump the rest of America in with NYC people please. We don't like them either.

Noted, i'll keep that in mind for next time

Mully

Fuck all yall. NYC is the best city in the world. There's going to be jerks everywhere. Don't let some richy rich mafioso with a flat brim ruin your day. The city has a ton of great people and so many great attractions.

If you really want to see NYC, walk up and down Broadway from Harlem all the way to City Hall and you'll really see the city. You don't need to go to the Empire State Building or anything like that. Just people watch in Madison Square Park and you'll really enjoy the city.

jasonng

Fuck all yall. NYC is the best city in the world. There's going to be jerks everywhere. Don't let some richy rich mafioso with a flat brim ruin your day. The city has a ton of great people and so many great attractions.

If you really want to see NYC, walk up and down Broadway from Harlem all the way to City Hall and you'll really see the city. You don't need to go to the Empire State Building or anything like that. Just people watch in Madison Square Park and you'll really enjoy the city.

pffft whatever Long Island.

I love your secluded beaches.

Axalon

Heartily recommend the Copper Barrel, if you're in Lower Manhattan, near the City Hall/WTC area. Good things on tap and a pretty diverse bottled beer selection.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-copper-barrel-new-york

+1

And it may be touristy as fuck, but I've always liked sitting in that plaza space on Broadway at Herald/Greeley and Times Square, and just watch people go about their day.

Mully

pffft whatever Long Island.

I love your secluded beaches.

Woah woah woah. LI isn't that bad. I live in Nassau county which is basically just an extension of Queens. Awesome place to live, you're only 25 miles away from Manhattan and only 19 miles from Brooklyn. Brooklyn can be so magical at night. Especially near Bedford and 4th.

EDIT:

Someone put the Radegast Hall & Biergarten in the bar section. That place is amazing. We should start our next GAF NYC meetup there and just bar crawl up Bedford.

bob page

Woah woah woah. LI isn't that bad. I live in Nassau county which is basically just an extension of Queens. Awesome place to live, you're only 25 miles away from Manhattan and only 19 miles from Brooklyn. Brooklyn can be so magical at night. Especially near Bedford and 4th.

EDIT:

Someone put the Radegast Hall & Biergarten in the bar section. That place is amazing. We should start our next GAF NYC meetup there and just bar crawl up Bedford.

It's already on there in the BK food section. I'm reorganizing everything right now, so BK stuff will be easier to find in a bit.

I'm actually going there this Saturday for my friend's bday.

Mully

It's already on there in the BK food section. I'm reorganizing everything right now, so BK stuff will be easier to find in a bit.

I'm actually going there this Saturday for my friend's bday.

Yeah I went there for my Brother-In-Law's Stag Party and really enjoyed the place. Great atmosphere and pretty good looking servers.

You're entitled to your views and i respect that, but if there was some sort of poll for the 'best city in the world', id be annoyed to see it be NY, IMO i just find it annoying when everything has to be a comp, all 'landmark' cities have there qualities, i don't see why there has to be a 'best'

Agreed about the competiton part and right now my personal 'best city' is Berlin. I will However anecdotally add that nearly everywhere I have been when I mention I live in NYC (and increasingly Brooklyn) I get that little smile and nod 'I love new york you are so lucky', I even got it in...gasp Paris!

Washington Square Park is nice if you want to people watch. It's a young crowd mostly around those parts, lot of hipsters due to it's proximity to NYU in the Village. Not teaming with tourists though and it's almost always busy... especially when it's warmer and the big fountain's running.

bob page

OP updated with some Brooklyn stuff. If anyone wants to give me some content for Queens, that'd be great, since I haven't been there much.

Barrett2

Pretty sure I'm going to NYC soon basically to buy some stuff at Uniqlo. Love that store so much.

Go to the new location on 5th Avenue, it's enormous.

While I love living in NYC, I might jump at the chance to move to Irvine, CA if I had the chance. Weather here is a little tough to handle sometimes.

bob page

Go to the new location on 5th Avenue, it's enormous.

While I love living in NYC, I might jump at the chance to move to Irvine, CA if I had the chance. Weather here is a little tough to handle sometimes.

I actually like the other new one on 34th St better. It's still large but isn't as confusing.

Oh, and since I'm from Michigan, the weather here is child's play, haha.

I practically never hear the stereotypical "New York accent". People like imagining half in the city talks like that but it's extremely uncommon in reality and pretty much a token of the past at this point or maybe parts of Staten Island. A majority of the people who speak without a foreign accent have no drawls at all (think California, South Florida, etc.. the default American TV dialect). The being said, tons of people have accents - Spanish is extraordinarily common as is Chinese and, to only a slightly lesser extent, Russian and other Eastern European accents. I'd definitely say we have some of the most diversity in regards to foreign accents.

GAF, tell me the best place to get trashed and hear good live music in NYC.

LOL! Live venues in NYC, LMAO! That shit is dead, and I mean the good ones. Good solid live venues in NYC are dead. Brooklyn has some solid spots, but nothing to crazy. Coney Island High, Wetlands, CGBG's...etc Those were the jumpoffs...Clubs are a joke since 2005 and so on. Everything is some lounge shit. A lot of bars are tiny as fuck. Jake's, Down The Hatch, SLP, Thunder Jacks, Village Underground, Pour House, Karma, SiP, BaBaloos, Aztec Lounge, Melodia's and so on, shit is corny. That's why I stop working in the nightlife industry. Last spot I was at was, Avalon AKA Limelight. After that, every other club started to vanish....Fucking Bloomberg. Stay away from the Meatpacking district. Is not worth it.

For a great sandwich spot, I would recommend Parm in the Nolita/SoHo area. Their menu is small but you really can't go wrong with any selection. Their House Turkey on a roll or hero put them on the map and their meatball parm is probably the best sandwich I've ever eaten. Only downside is that the space is very small and there is almost always a crowd (on avg 15 - 25 minute wait for take out).

http://parmnyc.com/

Bleepey

NY seems to be like LDN, a city you't really say you have been to, unless you have lived in and not visited. It's my life's wish to visit there and i am kinda surrpised a lot of NYers feel the same way about LDN .

aparisi2274

Best Burger in NYC is JG MELONS on the UES.

Also, if you are looking for a GAF Meetup on the 28th, here is the perfect place to have it:

3798498108_152e2724eb.jpg

Speaking of burgers, you guys should try out Korzo Haus in the East Village for delicious deep fried burgers and home made everything.
a843e61647389567b063d669e7d2f.jpg

Edit:

Forgot to mention that everyone who works there seemed to be really cool too.

Zilch

Banned
NY seems to be like LDN, a city you't really say you have been to, unless you have lived in and not visited. It's my life's wish to visit there and i am kinda surrpised a lot of NYers feel the same way about LDN .

I assume by "LDN" you mean London and yes as an NYCer I plan on living there at some point in my life. Haven't visited... yet.

great OP and thread title, haha

Best Burger in NYC is JG MELONS on the UES.

Also, if you are looking for a GAF Meetup on the 28th, here is the perfect place to have it:

3798498108_152e2724eb.jpg

isnt this by NYU? ive walked past this a few times and i always assumed the nyc meetups happened here

Top Bottom