• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Seeing as how this is a videogame forum I think these two should be added to the OP:

Manhattan
Videogames New York - http://www.videogamesnewyork.com/ A great place to find a whole bunch of old and obscure games and imported stuff. Also a great place to pick up arcade stick parts.

Brooklyn
Next Level Arcade - http://www.nycnextlevel.com/ If you are a fighting game fan, even just little bit, you should check this place out at least once. They have pretty much all the current fighting games you could be interested in playing and quite a few of old ones. It's called an arcade, but it isn't an arcade in the traditional sense. They only have 6(8?) SSIV arcade cabs, 1 KOF XII cab (although I'm not sure if it's still there since KOF XIII is out), a ghetto DDR copycat, and a touch screen rhythm game. It's mostly TV/console setups. Will also mod your arcade stick to work on both 360 and PS3 for a reasonable price. You can bring your own controller or rent them there (both regular controllers and arcade sticks).

Not worth it I say.

It's like you guys got the worst of both worlds. My condolences.

ima rep Phyre and add 8Bit and Up :)

for some reason i thought there was an nyu campus was by hells kitchen. i really need to update my mind map
NYU us all over the city but I don't there's any campus's on the west side of town. You have the bulk in The Village, a handful of NYU Medical campuses around Gramercy Park, the art institute up in the UES, the Business center down in Wall Street, and the Polytechnic Institute in Downtown Brooklyn (Metrotech).

I'm moving to NYC from London in March. Woo!

Very excited. My big worry at the moment is finding somewhere to live.
What's your price range for rent?

bob page

I'm moving to NYC from London in March. Woo!

Very excited. My big worry at the moment is finding somewhere to live.
I'll be writing up the living section this weekend. If you need any tips of finding a place, feel free to ask. I actually moved to NYC a little over 6 months ago.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
So is there gonna be a separate thread for the NYC GAF meetup?

OP updated with some Brooklyn stuff. If anyone wants to give me some content for Queens, that'd be great, since I haven't been there much.

You can't beat Flushing for some awesome Korean and Chinese restaurants.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
No 53rd & 6th Halal Cart =/

That $6 dish is heaven

Lamb with Rice with a little lettuce + some pita bread and the amazing white/hot sauce... Amazing

fJCnO.jpg

Oh and they start serving from 7PM to 7AM... and DAT LINE to eat *Bites Lip*

wXrvB.png

That line is double backed up, you know your shit is fucking amazing when people would stand in line for 20+ minutes in NYC moose testicle freezing winter weather

!

Also if you in NYC you can come visit me lol, I'm in Corona, Queens 10 blocks from Citi-Field

I live in Astoria and I stop by Rose and Joe's Bakery and Pizzeria every morning for an apple danish or chocolate croissant to start off the day. From what I can tell, most of the pastries are baked fresh every day, as well as the bread (it's where all the old women come for their loaves). Their pizza isn't half bad either. It's right under the Astoria-Ditmars stop near the Gamestop.

I've also gotta throw out some love to Fatty's Cafe and Crescent and Vine, which are both right around the corner from my apartment, and Sparrow (diagonal from the Astoria Bohemian Beer Garden), which is nearby.

I think you guys can cover Manhattan and Brooklyn pretty well.

aparisi2274

That $6 dish is heaven

Lamb with Rice with a little lettuce + some pita bread and the amazing white/hot sauce... Amazing

fJCnO.jpg

wXrvB.png

That line is double backed up, you know your shit is fucking amazing when people would stand in line for 20+ minutes in NYC moose testicle freezing winter weather

!

Also if you in NYC you can come visit me lol, I'm in Corona, Queens 10 blocks from Citi-Field

This man right here speaks the truth!! Best Street food in the city! I often find myself on that line at like 1am, in the COLD, waiting for that delicious combo!!

Pro-TIP: Don't forget to ask for the White Sauce, Hot Sauce combo!

NYC isn't so bad. I find most people are friendly if you're interacting with them. But if they're on the move, and don't know you...they're not going to stop and ask you your life story. Don't have time for that shit, just trying to get to work.

The city's been decent 99.9% of the time. Once in a blue moon I'll have an encounter, but I just swallow my pride and walk away. (Dude about to fight another dude on a train platform right next to me, Guy threatened to stab me, A few bumps here and there when walking. No biggie)

That $6 dish is heaven

fJCnO.jpg

wXrvB.png

!

I know the one that's there during the day isn't the real one but I still find myself going there every now and then for lunch during work.

bob page

A good quote: “Manhattan is a narrow island off the coast of New Jersey devoted to the pursuit of lunch.”

If you guys like the cart on 53rd & 6th, be sure to check out Comme Ci Comme Ca (www.chefsamirtruck.com to see the schedule)- it's Moroccan food and they have a lemon chicken & rice that's amazing (one of the best). Served with chickpeas, peppers, etc, and awesome with white & hot sauce.

azDO4l.jpg

Also, if you're looking for a good, inexpensive lunch in Midtown, go to Qi, a Thai place with some good specials. $8 pad thai with an appetizer:

media

fucking lol @ the first post. My buddy who has been there for 5 years says the rudeness is starting to get to him...but is totally infected with the attitude himself. Can't say that anywhere else in the world I've been threatened to get knocked out by a guy several times larger than me just because I pushed his drink closer to him when it was completely out of his reach. If I decipher the yelling, I think it had something to do with me being white.

Gonna hit up brooklyn for a weekend at the end of the month. I think Nextlevel will be my only "tourist" spot, the rest will be hanging with friends. I'll be sure to bring my hazmat suit and nose plugs for the dirtiest and smelliest city in the world <3

also, put Cakeman Raven in the OP:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/cake-man-raven-brooklyn

sells slices of red velvet cake and that's about it. It's fucking amazing and I go out of my way to get about 5 slices every time I visit.

nel e nel

The "Greatest city in the world" has the worst people in the world. Rude fucks.

You sound like a tourist.

Count me in for the 28th meetup, I like making new friends.

A few restaurant suggestions for Brooklyn:

Grandma Rose's: http://mypizza.com/restaurant/menu/566-grandma-rose-s-pizza?gclid=CLzctqbVza0CFcZM4AodMC1UiQ
Five Leaves: fiveleavesny.com/
Calexico: http://www.calexicocart.com/page/page/4364476.htm
Blue Ribbon Sushi: http://www.blueribbonrestaurants.com/rests_sushi_brook_main.htm

Parks:
McCarren Park: http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/mccarrenpark

Bars:
Brooklyn Bowl: http://www.brooklynbowl.com/
Southpaw: http://spsounds.com/
Nights & Weekends: http://nightsandweekendsny.com/

Zilch

Banned

Actually this huge line just proves that hype works. I mean their shit is good but I'd just as soon eat at any of the other dozen+ carts in that general area too.

charsace

If you're in a shady neighborhood and you're hungry or need directions or whatever and the place you're thinking of going into looks shady, don't go into it. Shady looking places can turn out to be fronts for drugs/whore house.

bob page

If you're in a shady neighborhood and you're hungry or need directions or whatever and the place you're thinking of going into looks shady, don't go into it. Shady looking places can turn out to be fronts for drugs/whore house.

Yeah, my neighboring apartment building looks shady and I just found it's actually a meth den.

/sarcasm

I've encountered lots of shady looking places that ended up being totally fine. Hell, my apartment isn't in the greatest of areas but the inside is nice as hell.

East Village Resident checking in!

Love the Paquito's Restaurant and Dumpling Man near me. Need to start branching out more though, been here exactly for a year.

Zilch

Banned
I'm working on getting into Manhattan more for dining/drinking, it's hard to get motivated to leave the wburg/greenpoint area when all the food and drinks i like are right here.

GraveRobberX

Actually this huge line just proves that hype works. I mean their shit is good but I'd just as soon eat at any of the other dozen+ carts in that general area too.

Maybe to you, I've tried others, no one can compete with them

Dude I can devour 2 plates like nothing, others are very greasy, sometime wrong mix of spices or add shit in to stand out be different ruining all the flavor of the food

< Look at that pic, that's me

There is a place on 79th Street and 1 st Avenue Szechuan Kitchen, Mother of God their food is delicious

http://www.yelp.com/biz/szechuan-kitchen-new-york

I love their Ginger Shrimp, spicy, they make this amazing "hot oil", good god my mouth is already watering
Their fried rices are heavenly and the noodles are decent

Please go try this, trust me you will go damn good stuff, it maybe not the greatest, but that taste lingers and calls you back from time to time to go back there and eat it again

I would come out on the 28th to meet GAFfers, but with the way I look, I'll get racially profiled to hell and back, a fatty al-qaeda agent =/

Zilch

Banned
Ha, I'm not trying to be a hater, I like their food, I just wouldn't wait 20+ minutes for street meat.

I also work in the immediate area and if I waited that long I'd be blowing too much of my lunch hour in queue.

charsace

Yeah, my neighboring apartment building looks shady and I just found it's actually a meth den.

/sarcasm

I've encountered lots of shady looking places that ended up being totally fine. Hell, my apartment isn't in the greatest of areas but the inside is nice as hell.

It depends on the neighborhood. I live near corona and at least twice a month while waiting for a bus or standing out in front of a bodega I'll have an hasidic jew, muslim or business man in a nice car roll up on me and play like he's asking me for directions and then they'll say to me, "do you know where I can find black/spanish girls/boys."

Places that run drugs/prostitution or easy to pick out because they look fucking terrible or if you look at the fridges in those places they are never stocked properly. They raid businesses in corona/junction blvd and homes on a yearly basis. Last summer they raided block of homes hear by me because they stacking coke and other shit.

Jhoan

A meetup on the 28th? I'd like to but I agreed to volunteer from 6-10pm. I'm gonna email the folks and tell them that I'm not gonna be able to do it. Meeting GAFers is way more important than volunteering so count me in.

I'll be writing up the living section this weekend. If you need any tips of finding a place, feel free to ask. I actually moved to NYC a little over 6 months ago.

I'll be moving there with my wife this summer, can't wait. She lived there for a year, in Washington Heights. We'll probably have to get a place around there unless I get a great job. What do you think would be the best way of finding a house if you're moving there as a student (which my wife is), and still looking for a job?

I'm just saying there are plenty of people from Long Island that infest the city on Friday and Saturday nights. Especially the east side.

And Queens and Brooklyn are both parts of NYC and are on Long Island if you want to get technical :p.

I'm from LI, and it's definitely true about people from the island going into the city on weekends.(I do when I'm here and not at school) And while technically queens and Brooklyn are on physical LI, No one argues that they are in anyway similar or related to Nassau and suffolk counties.

GraveRobberX

Corona Info Dump

I've come to the realization that a lot of the Hispanics want to live in Corona, just for the name

"Drinking Corona's in Corona... The Good Life"

I love Corona and the area I live, 30 minutes away from the city, 15 minutes from Flushing Meadows, huge influx of all races, so much diversity, everything with-in reach

Miss the Movie theater on Corona Plaza, pay $4.00 watch 4 new movies and enjoy the day (2 screen, 2 movies per, 1 was shown, then the next, repeat, also door in middle that gave access to the top floor where the other screen was and you just went up there to catch the other 2, also all the times were synched perfectly to watch almost all 4), stupid Walgreens and Church took over =/

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I'm from LI, and it's definitely true about people from the island going into the city on weekends.(I do when I'm here and not at school) And while technically queens and Brooklyn are on physical LI, No one argues that they are in anyway similar or related to Nassau and suffolk counties.

It could be argued that eastern Queens has more in common with Nassau county than NYC.

bob page

I'll be moving there with my wife this summer, can't wait. She lived there for a year, in Washington Heights. We'll probably have to get a place around there unless I get a great job. What do you think would be the best way of finding a house if you're moving there as a student (which my wife is), and still looking for a job?

Craigslist is pretty much your best bet for finding an apartment. Washington Heights is a bit lower income than other places in Manhattan and Brooklyn, so you can probably find a place for cheaper there. Brooklyn is usually $1500+ for 1BR and Manhattan is $2000+ for 1BR.

It depends on the neighborhood. I live near corona and at least twice a month while waiting for a bus or standing out in front of a bodega I'll have an hasidic jew, muslim or business man in a nice car roll up on me and play like he's asking me for directions and then they'll say to me, "do you know where I can find black/spanish girls/boys."

Places that run drugs/prostitution or easy to pick out because they look fucking terrible or if you look at the fridges in those places they are never stocked properly. They raid businesses in corona/junction blvd and homes on a yearly basis. Last summer they raided block of homes hear by me because they stacking coke and other shit.
That's a bit further outside the main parts of the city than most people in this thread will venture, though. I think for the average person visiting, they won't have deal with things like that (especially in Manhattan below 120st).

GraveRobberX

Craigslist is pretty much your best bet for finding an apartment. Washington Heights is a bit lower income than other places in Manhattan and Brooklyn, so you can probably find a place for cheaper there. Brooklyn is usually $1500+ for 1BR and Manhattan is $2000+.

Damn when did Brooklyn become that super high

In my building 1 bedroom is $950.00-$1000.00 (depending on how many people) and 2 bedroom is $1250.00

bob page

Damn when did Brooklyn become that super high

In my building 1 bedroom is $950.00-$1000.00 (depending on how many people) and 2 bedroom is $1250.00

I pay $1700 base rent in East Williamsburg (around $1850 after electric, gas, etc) for a 1BR. It's pretty new though but isn't in the nicer area of Williamsburg.

I am so happy my lease is up soon. I am in the Times Sq/Hells Kitchen area and have an option of buying a place on the Lower East Side or gonna rent a bad ass duplex on Central Park West. If I live on the LES I fear I would get nothing done and have late nights 6 days a week.

nel e nel

LOL! Live venues in NYC, LMAO! That shit is dead, and I mean the good ones. Good solid live venues in NYC are dead. Brooklyn has some solid spots, but nothing to crazy. Coney Island High, Wetlands, CGBG's...etc Those were the jumpoffs...Clubs are a joke since 2005 and so on. Everything is some lounge shit. A lot of bars are tiny as fuck. Jake's, Down The Hatch, SLP, Thunder Jacks, Village Underground, Pour House, Karma, SiP, BaBaloos, Aztec Lounge, Melodia's and so on, shit is corny. That's why I stop working in the nightlife industry. Last spot I was at was, Avalon AKA Limelight. After that, every other club started to vanish....Fucking Bloomberg. Stay away from the Meatpacking district. Is not worth it.

Wow, really?

Brooklyn Bowl
Southpaw
Bowery Ballroom
Mercury Lounge

And there are countless dive bars all in the Lower East Side and Alphabet City. Yeah, it's not as strong as it was 10 or eve 5 years ago, but it's still there.

bob page

I am so happy my lease is up soon. I am in the Times Sq/Hells Kitchen area and have an option of buying a place on the Lower East Side or gonna rent a bad ass duplex on Central Park West. If I live on the LES I fear I would get nothing done and have late nights 6 days a week.

What are the prices like in LES? My lease is up in June and I want to move to Manhattan (I commute to Times Square for work). I'll probably look in downtown, LES, UES, and Murray Hill. If none of those work out, I'll probably just do Park Slope.

Negaiido

Just rename the thread to "Best city of USA" then you can have your discussion with other people that think something is the "The best of the world".

GraveRobberX

$950? Where do you live?

$1100 seems to be the minimum for even Washington Heights.

Corona, Queens

#7 train 3 blocks away, 2 stations closest to me, Junction Blvd or 103rd Corona Plaza
20-25 minutes into the city
10 Blocks from Flushing Meadows Park
15 from Citi-Field
L.I.E. + G.C.P + Van Wyck all 10 minutes away, both airports are 25 minutes away

We own the building

That's a good list, but those are all $$$$ Manhattan chic clubs. Bottle and models. Needs more grimy locales.

How about the Blind Barber. Its located on the LES/Chinatown and its disguised as a barber shop but you go through a door and its a pretty cool lounge. Its defiantly more of a local NY scene than the major clubs in the city.

If anybody has any questions on the nightlife let me know. Ill do my best to contribute to the thread since the NYC nightlife is more my lifestyle lol. I just can't sit in while living in this city.

What are the prices like in LES? My lease is up in June and I want to move to Manhattan (I commute to Times Square for work). I'll probably look in downtown, LES, UES, and Murray Hill. If none of those work out, I'll probably just do Park Slope.

Looking to buy or rent?

nel e nel

Yep- I'm pretty sure I'm the only white person living within 4 blocks.

You'd be surprised. I lived right off the Flushing stop on the JMZ line and there were plenty of us gringos around.

You been to Roberta's? Great brick oven pizza and American twists on Italian food. Supposed to have a kick ass disco party in the summers too.

charsace

Wow, really?

Brooklyn Bowl
Southpaw
Bowery Ballroom
Mercury Lounge

And there are countless dive bars all in the Lower East Side and Alphabet City. Yeah, it's not as strong as it was 10 or eve 5 years ago, but it's still there.

Sometimes you have to check the internet for live shows. My brother rented out a place and he got Cam to perform. The indy scene is pretty strong in NYC. You just have to do a little digging.

East Village Resident checking in!

Love the Paquito's Restaurant and Dumpling Man near me. Need to start branching out more though, been here exactly for a year.

East Village? Check out this cool bar called Sons of Essex. Fun spot for a drink.

I must seem like an alcoholic in this thread.

bob page

You'd be surprised. I lived right off the Flushing stop on the JMZ line and there were plenty of us gringos around.

You been to Roberta's? Great brick oven pizza and American twists on Italian food. Supposed to have a kick ass disco party in the summers too.

You're about a 5 minute walk from my apartment, then. I'm in between the Lorimer stop and the Montrose L near Graham.

The only nearby pizza place I've been to is Danny's II, which is decent.

Kisaya

This is a great thread :) I used to live downtown Brooklyn all my life and it really is a great place to check out in the city. I'll try to contribute whenever I can!

Top Bottom