• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York City |OT| GAF's Guide to the Greatest City in the World - Meetup on 18th

I don't really think people moving into the city want to live in those areas, though- they seem to be a better fit for native New Yorkers. Most people who move to the city want to be close to the action. For me, it's worth paying the price premium to have easy access to things that interest me.
Honestly, how close you are to "the action" is more about what subway line you're close to than what neighborhood you're in... and let's face it, you need to ride the subway from wherever you live if you honestly want to experience the city. You can live in the heart of Manhattan and would still need to hop the train over Brooklyn for all the cool parties going down there, or ride uptown if you want to experience even half of the cities museums, or walk around Central Park. My point being: A place in Mid Brooklyn, in those $1100 1BR apartments is still less than 20 minutes away from anywhere you'd want to be and even closer to some places than someone with a $3000 studio in Midtown... AS LONG AS you're near the L or JZ line - which isn't hard considering they run the full length of the borough (or if you're downtown, obviously the other trains).

My first apartment before I moved to Manhattan was out in the "boonies" of East Brooklyn, in the ghetto, I paid ~$400 a month. My ride to Union Square was literally 25 minutes, and my ride downtown into LES was even shorter - on the express. On top of that I could get to all the shit going down in Brooklyn all the time in less than 15 minutes. And as I said, that was in EAST Brooklyn... if you're around the mid section you're in an even better position.

The only real problem spots in that area is when you get out near Rockaway where it can take you an hour+ since the A line basically runs out before it reaches the island. Queens in general is also relatively terrible - there's a few decent spots along the 7 and Q but for the most part not very good subway coverage.

bob page

My ride into midtown on the JMZ from East Williamsburg takes about 40 minutes every morning and I really wouldn't want a longer commute than that, especially during rush hour.

I like Williamsburg and Park Slope because I can find cool places to go for food/night life within 10 minutes walking distance (if I feel too lazy to trek to Manhattan).

Kisaya

No, it isn't. For some reason this tradition developed of calling certain areas "South Brooklyn" when they're really North (Cobble Hill is Northwest). Not sure how it happened, but you can verify it on a map - maybe it has to do with the fact that they're South of Manhattan. South Brooklyn is Coney Island, Gravesend, and Sheepshead Bay.

o.o I always thought South Brooklyn was like, Red Hook and such. But I could see what you mean ;x When I used to live in Cobble Hill I just told everyone I lived downtown Brooklyn

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
btw whats the average rent/money per square meter anyway in NYC?

I believe it's around $1300 per square foot in Manhattan right now. Many newer buildings are asking upwards of $3000 per sqft though.

The most expensive apartment in the city sold last month for 88 million. it was over $13,000 per sqft. That shit Cray.

My ride into midtown on the JMZ from East Williamsburg takes about 40 minutes every morning and I really wouldn't want a longer commute than that, especially during rush hour.

I like Williamsburg and Park Slope because I can find cool places to go for food/night life within 10 minutes walking distance (if I feel too lazy to trek to Manhattan).
Like I said, it depends on the subway you're near, specifically which stops you're next to.

I believe it's around $1300 per square foot in Manhattan right now. Many newer buildings are asking upwards of $3000 per sqft though.

The most expensive apartment in the city sold last month for 88 million. it was over $13,000 per sqft. That shit Cray.

Well 7-8k per 2^meter here is normal so 3k doesnt sound so extortinate.

LQX

Speaking of burgers, you guys should try out Korzo Haus in the East Village for delicious deep fried burgers and home made everything.
a843e61647389567b063d669e7d2f.jpg

Edit:

Forgot to mention that everyone who works there seemed to be really cool too.

How can anyone eat something with so much blood coming out of it? Yuck.

Wow, really?

Brooklyn Bowl
Southpaw
Bowery Ballroom
Mercury Lounge

And there are countless dive bars all in the Lower East Side and Alphabet City. Yeah, it's not as strong as it was 10 or eve 5 years ago, but it's still there.
Bowery Ballroom doesn't allow anyone like they use to. The only place that keeps it solid, and true. Is SOB's and BB King's.....Divebars, lol. Go to cheapshots and call it a day. Divebars are trying to be clubs now with their serato DJ's that can't beatmatch for shit. Fuck New York nightlife, that shit is dead and corporate(Look at williamsburg and meatpacking district).NYC is turning into what happen to Vegas after the mob got taken out of the biz. No soul...Don't get me wrong, I still have fun, but the mayhem is gone..:(

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Well 7-8k per 2^meter here is normal so 3k doesnt sound so extortinate.

Where do you live? The only place comparable in the world is Paris. 1 Square foot = .09 square meters.
I believe that the apartment I mentioned sold for almost $150,000 per square meter.

If you still don't find it too expensive, may I suggest buying some property in Manhattan? There are some great deals out there, and now you know a great broker.

Going to NYC this weekend to hear my brother play piano in the basement of Carnegie Hall. Will be staying with my aunt in Brooklyn, who will coincidentally be holding a party that weekend.

Bowery Ballroom doesn't allow anyone like they use to. The only place that keeps it solid, and true. Is SOB's and BB King's.....Divebars, lol. Go to cheapshots and call it a day. Divebars are trying to be clubs now with their serato DJ's that can't beatmatch for shit. Fuck New York nightlife, that shit is dead and corporate(Look at williamsburg and meatpacking district).NYC is turning into what happen to Vegas after the mob got taken out of the biz. No soul...Don't get me wrong, I still have fun, but the mayhem is gone..:(

I'm a relative NYC noob (7 years) but the mayhem is still here but you have to look/be connected to people who look. I'm probably just too old anymore lol.

Donos

Woohoo going to NY from 30.4 - 8.5.2012 (my first time) with my gf.
Hope to get a flight straight from Berlin. Going to scan the thread today for good advises.

Fusebox

Banned
Things I loved about New York:

Hayden Planetarium
MOMA
Museum of Natural History
Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Centre (and Nintendo World and Lego World downstairs)
Toys R Us at Times Square
Lion King on Broadway
5 Napkin burgers
Central Park

Things I hated about New York:

New Yorkers

Hayden Planetarium
MOMA
Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Centre (and Nintendo World and Lego World downstairs)
Lion King on Broadway
5 Napkin burgers
Central Park

New Yorkers

Yeah, well we're not too fond of you either.

Fusebox

Banned
Lol! But seriously, I encountered so many unabashedly, blatantly rude people, especially after having just been in San Fran where the people were amazingly cool.

Lol! But seriously, I encountered so many unabashedly, blatantly rude people, especially after having just been in San Fran where the people were amazingly cool.

Sorry to hear that, in my experience I've found most people here are pretty cool as long as you aren't obnoxious(I'm a pretty laid back guy but when tourists bunch up at the corner of a sidewalk and make it impossible for anyone to get through I'll get pissed off pretty quickly).

In fact in my experience most of the people who are really rude and play up to that stereotypical New Yorker image are people who aren't even from New York.

Ikael

Whenever someone talks about how awesome New York is, it automatically gets a load of "New Yorkers are rude and ugly and sucks" type of responses. Envy much? As a foreginer with no stake in regional US rivaries, New Yorkers seemed to me like extremely nice people, nicer than the average American (albeit I have yet to visit the South). Oh, and the city itself FUCKING RULES. Best place on Earth. How can anyone compare L.A with this concentration of awesome?

Some of my recent photos:

media
media
All of those are great, but I'd love to know where and how you made these? (I know the left is TS, but how did you get up there? =D) There should be a section in the OP giving tips to photographers who want to take pictures from above/the skyline! I'd love to know some great places for taking pictures from above apart from the standard places like Empire State.

I'm a relative NYC noob (7 years) but the mayhem is still here but you have to look/be connected to people who look. I'm probably just too old anymore lol.

Dude, I DJ, lol. Been in the nightlife industry since 1997, but grew up with it. Family full of bouncers and bartenders. Shit is dead. Mayhem is gone. You don't have insane spots like the Tunnel, Limelight, SoundFactory(Best sounding Club till this day, even worldwide Dj's agree)EXIT, Speed, ROXY, Batcave, Carbon, Spirit, NYC Club, Flamingo, Palladium, Barcode and so on. And the 70's and 80's had it even better with fucking Plato's retreat. Guiliani started the clean up, and Bloomberg killed it. All this corporate spots are bullshit(Meat Packing District). Can't even enjoy a good line of coke in the bathroom while getting head form some barley legal college chick anymore. The shit that went down at Limelight was on some roman shit. Lotus(RIP) was the last club of the late 2K's that got down.

Google most of this clubs, or look up NYPost or NYTimes stories how shit went down. Whatever, if you never experience such things, you obviously not missing anything.

Dude, I DJ, lol. Been in the nightlife industry since 1997, but grew up with it. Family full of bouncers and bartenders. Shit is dead. Mayhem is gone. You don't have insane spots like the Tunnel, Limelight, SoundFactory(Best sounding Club till this day, even worldwide Dj's agree)EXIT, Speed, ROXY, Batcave, Carbon, Spirit, NYC Club, Flamingo, Palladium, Barcode and so on. And the 70's and 80's had it even better with fucking Plato's retreat. Guiliani started the clean up, and Bloomberg killed it. All this corporate spots are bullshit(Meat Packing District). Can't even enjoy a good line of coke in the bathroom while getting head form some barley legal college chick anymore. The shit that went down at Limelight was on some roman shit. Lotus(RIP) was the last club of the late 2K's that got down.

Google most of this clubs, or look up NYPost or NYTimes stories how shit went down. Whatever, if you never experience such things, you obviously not missing anything.

I live for nightlife in this city and you are right, it's not nearly as crazy as it was in the late 90's early 00's. I was a bit too young to be a regular at the time (was around 16) but I went to Exit, Sound Factory, Limelight and Tunnel a few times and it was too much. I am happy it changed to more lounge type places where you can get some bottles and chill out. The trance scene back in the day was too crowded and you couldn't move a bit. It can easily take an hour to leave a place like Exit and even longer to get served a drink.

The problem with the nightlife today is that it is a bit too pretenous. It's all about who you are and how much you are spending and how you look. If you want to go out with a few of your boys expect to throw down some dough or they ain't letting you in.

Loki

Count of Concision
Is that for a month? That's so cheap. No idea how Sydney property prices became more expensive than NYC, ;_;

Generally only heat and hot water are included, not electricity and other utilities. Maybe it's different where you are.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire

Hayden Planetarium
MOMA
Lion King on Broadway
5 Napkin burgers
Central Park

New Yorkers

I can confirm 5 Napkin Burgers' awesomeness

bob page

All of those are great, but I'd love to know where and how you made these? (I know the left is TS, but how did you get up there? =D) There should be a section in the OP giving tips to photographers who want to take pictures from above/the skyline! I'd love to know some great places for taking pictures from above apart from the standard places like Empire State.

I actually work in TS so I have exclusive access ;)

The other pic with the ESB is from The High Line, which is an amazing place to take photos (as is Central Park).

Whenever someone talks about how awesome New York is, it automatically gets a load of "New Yorkers are rude and ugly and sucks" type of responses. Envy much? As a foreginer with no stake in regional US rivaries, New Yorkers seemed to me like extremely nice people, nicer than the average American (albeit I have yet to visit the South). Oh, and the city itself FUCKING RULES. Best place on Earth. How can anyone compare L.A with this concentration of awesome?
Yeah, I don't really see the rudeness since moving here.. I'm from the Midwest and people are just as cranky there, if not more so (since they're always so damn bored). The only times I've see NYers be rude is if they're in the middle of something, like trying to do their job or get to work, and someone comes up to them to force out an answer.

In general, NYers are extremely passionate about the city and are usually willing to talk to tourists about it- just make sure you don't burden them while they're trying to get things done. Be considerate and we'll be considerate back.

Tawpgun

I live about an hour from the city in CT. I LOVE visiting it.

However I could not imagine living there. It's far too big, daunting, and rushed to me. Too busy.

I love living in Boston (for school) though. It's the perfect city size.

Angry Fork

Although I agree with you, it's something we don't mean to do. In other words many new yorkers who act like assholes aren't genuine assholes and hate everyone, they just have shit to do and they hate people bothering them or wasting their time. They get stressed easily and have little patience for people who don't know what they're doing, especially on busy streets and in subways.

For example I like tourists and have no problems giving directions if I can help or offering advice and so on but one thing that really bothers me is when people walk slowly on staircases while everyone is behind them, or they take up the middle of the sidewalk with their whole family and so on. Tourists don't always do this plenty of new yorkers do it too but I wish there was some kind of short list of rules that was printed in every map that says "if you don't know where you're going, step to the side and figure it out without stopping in front of everyone else and forcing them to go around you".

This is pretty much the only thing that genuinely annoys me but I consider myself really understanding and helpful to others so maybe other new yorkers are less forgiving. I've encountered a lot of douchebags but for every asshole there's 10 normal, down to earth people I think.

Air

Banned
Advice from a new yorker:

If you're touring the city, stay away from 42nd street and time square. It's nice to see because of all of the energy, but its the absolute worst place to hang out, and too many people around that area love picking fights.

nitewulf

you can't, but west coast is the best coast. and i'm a native new yorker.

DAT weather!

my dream is to move to SF. but i'll definitely miss the concentrated awesomeness. LA is very spread out to be comparable, but different hubs are definitely very awesome...

El Sloth

Banned
Sorry to hear that, in my experience I've found most people here are pretty cool as long as you aren't obnoxious(I'm a pretty laid back guy but when tourists bunch up at the corner of a sidewalk and make it impossible for anyone to get through I'll get pissed off pretty quickly).

In fact in my experience most of the people who are really rude and play up to that stereotypical New Yorker image are people who aren't even from New York.
This.

Transplants trying to act like they think they should. Although I've learned through my extended family that what they perceive as being rude I perceive as being busy, so there may just be some cultural differences as well.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Hahaha my brothers were big in the NYC nightlife back in the day when I was a kid. I remember them going to all these clubs. Especially when Danny Tenaglia spun.

For me though, now that I'm of age to go out and shit, not really a club goer. Definitely not looking for mayhem. Places like Bowery Ballroom, Mercury Lounge, Rockwood Music Hall are places that I like. Whatever, to each his own right?

Zilch

Banned
There's a small secluded spot in Brooklyn that touches the Hudson river that overlooks Manhattan's skyline. Absolutely beautiful and I'm reluctant to share. I plan my dates around it.

Let me guess, that's on the waterfront in Red Hook somewhere.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
While in PA, doing some house work for a family friend, I asked if we could do a power vacation in New York.

We got up at 6am, got to New York at about 7, and was parked in ridiculously expensive parking by 7:30.

My GF of the time had gone a few times, and had interned all summer the summer before. She just could.not.stop.talking. about how amazing it was. She graduates in May, and has been saving up to move there as soon as she does. She's a journalism major, and I suppose it is the news center of the country; but even past that, she just adores everything about the city.

We're from Missouri, and so it wasn't hard for me to believe how amazing it was. I expected to be blown away. ... I wasn't.

We hit several places:

Rockefeller Plaza
Times Square
The Nintendo World Store
I was interviewed live on the street by Fox News
Hit up a bar on Times Square
Rode the subway a few times
Walked through central park, rode the carousel
Got "Levain" cookies
Saw the WTC memorial
Ate at a pizza place right near China Town
Walked through China Town
etc, etc.

It was a busy day, and I managed to see a lot of Manhattan. Sure, there is A LOT to do. I suppose it would be very difficult to stay bored in the city for any extended amount of time. But, gah... I just, I dunno... just random things that drove me nuts:

- All sorts of low-life, unsupervised teenagers and irresponsible and worthless young adults. There were at least three times that a group would come up to me or those around me and just start doing the whole "hey my *****, the fuck is going man? You wanna hang out? You my friend? Are you too cool to be my friend?" Bullshit. If you talk to them, they're more aggressive. If you ignore them, they're more obnoxious. If it happened in my home town, I would have attempted to knock them the fuck out right there - but in NYC, I swear it felt like every other person was packing a gun.

- The subway system is fucking nasty. It stinks. The people are gross. It's crowded. There are druggies passed out on the subway, and homeless sleeping outside. A bunch of weirdos everywhere. Trash everywhere. Ugh.

-Everything is ridiculously expensive. Just about everything cost 2x or more as much as I'm used to.

-People are just ruuuuuude. Not New Yorkers in general. The public seemed at least decent. But it's the employees everywhere. Because, I assume, they know if you don't come back, they havd 100000 other people that will.

I don't feel like going on; I know I'm already pretty OT as it is. My apologies. But, I just didn't get the hoopla. It's UNIQUE... I'll give it that. I've lived all over the country, and been to more than half the states; and I gotta say, I've never been anywhere like NYC. There's always something to do, there's always somewhere to go, and it really is a place that is so much bigger and more crazy than any one person could get used to. There are a lot of neat things there, and traditions that only NYC could partake in.

But man, I don't think I'd ever *choose* to live there.

Kisaya

Why would i plan dates around Red Hook?

Red Hook is actually a very pretty neighborhood ;o I recently just moved there and the only complaint I have is the transportation. There's lots of nice restaurants and art galleries that you can check out if you're in the area :)

I love my city, love it to death. But I was in London and Paris recently and I could see myself living there for a few years then coming back to NYC

Top Bottom