• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda: Breath of the Wild interview w/ Aonuma (transl. summary from French)

The only thing you're right about there is that all the shrines have the same theme. There are major dungeons (as is clear if you read the OP's edits) and 120 smaller shrines that can have combat, puzzles or both. We've already seen one clear example of an overworld boss so the idea that they'll all have the same boss is factually wrong as well.

EDIT: Oh wait, sarcasm? With all the hot takes in this thread this seems genuine.

I think that the "spinoff of the witness part" made it pretty clear :p

Weird - I read this, but this makes it sound like he wrote King of Red Lions in a way his son (and by extension children) would respond to. Not some secret message for his son, which is what the interview made it sound like.

Maybe I misunderstood. The little part in the interview made it sound like Aonuma would write little messages for his son into the dialog of characters that his son, in turn, would know were from him.

TheMoon

awesome!! what else is in the game?? can't wait til I get more visuals spoilers!! after all, why would I want to wait til I experience it myself if I can get it all spoiled with a shitty pic on an internet forum?

->

I am about to go from day 1 to day 0 with this game if there are no dungeons and instead we get a shitton of small shrines.

I really hope this is a mistranslation.

What are you doing in here then.

Seriously.

Right now, my only concerns about the game are the dungeons. We haven't heard from them. We haven't seen them. When asked about dungeons, Aonuma constantly switches to the shrines. There are some possible scenarios:

1. The dungeons in this game are just larger shrines with similar themings

2. The
4 Guardians
are the dungeons and they all have a similar machine theme

3. The Guardians are part of a dungeon but are not the dungeon. (For example you need to purify them in order to gain access to the different themed dungeons)

4. These Hylia Statues we have seen in the Treehouse Gameplay are the access to the dungeons.

1 and 2 would be extremly disappointing because then all the dungeons would share a similar theming and that is not what Zelda dungeons are about.

3 and 4 would be good and should be expected, it looks like a perfect Zelda game right now, I doubt Aonuma would ruin the game by making every dungeon and every shrine look the same, he knows that different themings are important in Zelda. Don't worry guys.

I'm still concerned though

Kamek Koopa tried to warn ya!

Seriously, though, I don't think we're getting any "traditional" dungeons in this game. I'm talking about the compass -> map -> item -> use that item to defeat boss kind of traditional.

I think we'll get some shrines that are bigger and have more complex layouts with bosses at the end but I think to some people that won't be an acceptable replacement.

Also I don't think all shrines will have the same textures/tileset. There's more than 100 of them and that would be super lazy of the devs.

Deku Tree

I feel like Nintendo designed or redesigned BotW around the switchs paltry 3 hour battery life and it's gonna hold the game back.

PrimeBeef

Kamek Koopa tried to warn ya!

Seriously, though, I don't think we're getting any "traditional" dungeons in this game. I'm talking about the compass -> map -> item -> use that item to defeat boss kind of traditional.

I think we'll get some shrines that are bigger and have more complex layouts with bosses at the end but I think to some people that won't be an acceptable replacement.

Also I don't think all shrines will have the same textures/tileset. There's more than 100 of them and that would be super lazy of the devs.

Honestly I quite tired of the same old, compass-map-item-use item on boss, dungeon idea. Been doing that every game. I'm ready for something fresh. At least fresh to the Zelda series.

I feel like Nintendo designed or redesigned BotW around the switchs paltry 3 hour battery life and it's gonna hold the game back.

The game was designed for the wii u, the only redesign taking the switch in consideration were the controls. Dungeons, items, progression doesn't indicate anything that the game would be redesigned for the battery life. The game also autosaves and you can save at any time. In interviews aonuma even mentions this.

PrimeBeef

BotW for Switch started in spring of last year. It is clearly designed around being a WiiU title. And what battery? That thing will be in the dock while I play on my couch. :)

TheMoon

It has a paltry 3 hour battery life when playing this game. It goes way beyond that with others. You are completely off the mark and what you say makes absolutely no sense. Just from a dev standpoint alone.

duckroll

I'm very disappointed that it seems BotW is nothing more than an upscaled 3DS game that Nintendo decided to release on the WiiU. The Switch port was probably originally a 3DO game too. I'm going to wait for the next Zelda on Jaguar.

takriel

I'm very disappointed that it seems BotW is nothing more than an upscaled 3DS game that Nintendo decided to release on the WiiU. The Switch port was probably originally a 3DO game too. I'm going to wait for the next Zelda on Jaguar.
Total insanity has finally come :p

Vidiot

I'm kinda worried about dungeon design. I liked them how they were. I mean I don't need them to be themed to the area they are in but they do all need their own look/personality. Also worried how they might be structured now. I'm not ready to say good bye to keys and maps and puzzels designed around specific items. Last but not least I'm worried about dungeon count. I just feel the rumored four to sound really underwhelming.

Still keeping an open mind until I play for myself. Not gonna cancel my preorder and punch a gamestop employee just yet.

jariw

My uncle who works at Nintendo, said that BotW is not a port on Switch. BotW apparently runs as a 3DS VC game on Switch.

I know there will be dungeons on top of shrines, my big fear is the structure we know is going to change a bit and these dungeons won't be as elaborate in the past.

I want this game to be perfect and it seems perfect so I am just looking for things to fear and I bet the dungeons is going to be the negative point for me.

I don't think Nintendo ever developed for the 3DO console but maybe it would have fared better if they did.

God I miss 3DO the company... Might and Magic VII is the GOAT

Branduil

I've heard it's actually an upscaled NES game. As proof, look at this concept art from the NES game:

legend_of_zelda_conceptart_tcdh9.jpg

It's pretty obvious that Breath of the Wild did, in fact, start its life as an NES game. It's quite easy to see that legacy in the low-res textures and the fact that, just like an NES game, it does not run at 1080p resolution.

RRockman

Banned
I've heard it's actually an upscaled NES game. As proof, look at this concept art from the NES game:

It's pretty obvious that Breath of the Wild did, in fact, start its life as an NES game. It's quite easy to see that legacy in the low-res textures and the fact that, just like an NES game, it does not run at 1080p resolution.

Top tier post. plz nerf

Placebo effect? HD Rumble confirmed as fraud technology!

Once you feel HD Rumble, you never stop. It's all around you. It's the wind blowing through the trees. It's cool water on your face. It's the painful memory of loved ones lost. It is a beautiful and mysterious force and we are all ice cubes in the great glass of the universe.

I still can't create new threads so I'm going to post this here. Eiji Aonuma told Gameblog that the Switch version of Breath of the Wild won't support "HD Rumble":

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/65465-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-sur-nintendo-switch-voila-ce-qui-au

Placebo effect? HD Rumble confirmed as fraud technology!

A Treehouse employee also stated that there is HD rumble. Are we sure Aonuma's not referring to the Wii U version in that article?

BY2K

Membero Americo
I still can't create new threads so I'm going to post this here. Eiji Aonuma told Gameblog that the Switch version of Breath of the Wild won't support "HD Rumble":

http://www.gameblog.fr/news/65465-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-sur-nintendo-switch-voila-ce-qui-au

Translated it to the best of my abilities.

"Of course, if the game had been created exclusively for the Switch, we could have benefited from the particular capabilities of the machine. I'm thinking notably of the HD Rumble. There are extraordinary, for example you can try to guess the number of balls hidden in the controller. It's something that I would loved to use.

But the problem is the goal of the Switch version is to live the exact same experience as on Wii U and vice versa. If we had started to adapt the game to the functionalities of the Switch, it wouldn't have been the same game. Because of this, asside from the graphical display, we didn't explore the specifications of the new system."

Translated it to the best of my abilities.

So he's saying they could have used the HD rumble much better, but that's not to say it's not being used at all. It's very strange to me how much misinformation and lack of clarity there is around this particular feature in Zelda.

HylianTom

Banned
I don't think Nintendo ever developed for the 3DO console but maybe it would have fared better if they did.

God I miss 3DO the company... Might and Magic VII is the GOAT
Consigned. I typically sided with the Elves, and usually picked the Dark path.

And I always - always - killed the Emerald Island Dragon to loot it for artifacts before departing to the mainland.

shiyrley

Banned
gyBqt9e.jpg

People are trying REALLY hard to go mental gymnastics to prove that a more powerful console is holding the version of the game for a less powerful console back. This is super fun. Please keep at it.

I feel like the Switch version of the game is holding the Megadrive version back. Does the Switch even have blast processing!?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Not having themed dungeons would suuuuuuuuuuuuuck, if true. This, plus the ~4 main dungeon limit would really kill a lot of the excitement I have for the game.

Actually, it's because there are over 100 shrines in the game that would lead me to believe there would be constant reusing of textures/tiles.

Consigned. I typically sided with the Elves, and usually picked the Dark path.

And I always - always - killed the Emerald Island Dragon to loot it for artifacts before departing to the mainland.

Wow, we're like the opposite. I'm usually light and humans, and the one or two times I killed the dragon I didn't get much interesting loot and decided it wasn't worth it. Also grandmaster alchemy is totally not worth it. Sounds great on paper- as many free stat boosts as you want! But it really doesn't do much for you.

Not having themed dungeons would suuuuuuuuuuuuuck, if true. This, plus the ~4 main dungeon limit would really kill a lot of the excitement I have for the game.

Actually, it's because there are over 100 shrines in the game that would lead me to believe there would be constant reusing of textures/tiles.

Look at the images in the OP. We will have some themed interiors, although they may not be dungeons in the traditional sense.

TheMoon

They even showed footage of the NES build of the game in 2014!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6e8F2UBmTg

Raitaro

I'm in two minds about it myself. On the one hand I generally also like to see themed dungeons in Zelda games because they offer aesthetic variety and such, but on the other hand it is not that surprising to me that they've gone a different route in BotW when the rest of the game is so different from previous 3D entries as well.

Also, if Zelda 1 is kind of the base from which they're rebuilding the series here in a way, that game also had dungeons that shared a general "dungeon" theme so it would make sense to have them like that again.

That said, as soon as I saw how they presented this new game with its large open world I instantly started to think about what they would need to cut to as a concession to make this game even possible to create under 10 years time. Towns and big themed dungeons were the first I thought about (as both are very much the antithesis to large open landscapes in terms of needing unique art and having a high content density), especially after seeing the shrines pop up, and I guess I was right about that one.

Hopefully we won't see an interview next (week...see below) where they mention that the towns we were promised are in fact just travelling merchants like the one seen in the Switch presentation trailer or Lon Lon ranch type small outposts of a handful of people. I want a few bigger towns like in Twilight Princess at least, as well as a more fleshed out Hyrule Castle Town this time.

This game keeps getting worse, Aonuma is ruining Zelda. I was looking forward to March 3rd, now I have no reason to live anymore.

TheMoon

This game keeps getting worse, Aonuma is ruining Zelda. I was looking forward to March 3rd, now I have no reason to live anymore.

Please always tag your posts with [sarcasm] from now on. We have no standards to judge anything by anymore. The world is in shambles.

Efejota

Aren't the shrines essentially the same thing we got with A Link Between Worlds?
Like that small cave focused on the pegasus boots.

Edit: Regarding the HD Rumble, maybe Aonuma meant that he wanted to make gameplay based around the feature, like how the keys in Skyward Sword were 3D puzzles that used the motion plus.
But rather, they implemented it as a quick extra to make the game feel more inclusive. Like the wiimote sounds in Twilight Princess.

Top Bottom