• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda: Breath of the Wild interview w/ Aonuma (transl. summary from French)

TheMoon

good god this thread. I'm so sorry for you TheMoon..

Very close to emailing Nintendo so they record 10 seconds of Aonuma in video confirming actual proper dungeons with unique wall textures in all languages. :D

Who cares about dungeons when we are all going straight to Ganon anyways.

Gonna save Zelda ASAP. Lonk is ready

No time for that. Have to find out how good those horses are at not running into trees very often.

Afrodium

Banned
It's been repeated several times by Aonuma himself that there are larger dungeons that feel more like traditional dungeons than the shrines, complete with bosses at the end.

You don't have to pick at semantics.

What is larger? What traits of a traditional Zelda dungeon will be present in the larger shrines? What Aonuma is describing could be anything from a large interlocking dungeon with locked doors and a boss key to a shrine with a few more puzzles and a boss fight.

Taking quotes from interviews and assuming the best version of the features described will be in the game always leads to disappointment.

Someone posted pictures of various non-default shrines here in the thread. Easy to find by quickly scrolling through.

How can you be so sure that these are shrines? It would be cool if they were but it may be something different and the fire screenshot could just be the interiors of death mountain. The screenshot with the Shiekah warrior could take place in a arena or something like that, doesn't necessarily mean that this is a shrine

Not want to destroy your hype but after the glorious trailer we really have to check our expectations and not go overboard with hype (I speak from experience).

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I can't believe that there isn't even going to be any gameplay, brb killing myself.

TheMoon

I'd rather see them than watch Aonuma go back and forth in interviews and people doing damage control. There was no problem showing off dungeon footage in previous games.

Where they spoiled every dungeon and location in the trailers? Yea no thanks. :)

Mostly-naked Link with a burning stick shall defeat the king of evil, as was foretold in prophecy. lol

Stop leaking the script pls.

How can you be so sure that these are shrines? It would be cool if they were but it may be something different and the fire screenshot could just be the interiors of death mountain. The screenshot with the Shiekah warrior could take place in a arena or something like that, doesn't necessarily mean that this is a shrine

Not want to destroy your hype but after the glorious trailer we really have to check our expectations and not go overboard with hype (I speak from experience).

Not the ones in the OP, the others in the thread somewhere on p3 or 4 or so. Outdoor shots of large structures.

Dungeons have been confirmed. Live in streams. I don't get this issue. We don't know what they will consist of, what kind of aesthetic they will have, how many there are, but we know they exist. Questioning that is just being ignorant.

I can't believe that there isn't even going to be any gameplay, brb killing myself.

If you kill yourself, how can you come right back!?!?!? Unless... g-g-g-g-ghost poster!

duckroll

I do think the question is worth asking though - the game is one month away, why haven't we seen any footage of a "traditional" dungeon yet, especially the typical early game "first dungeon" that they are always so proud to show off and excite people with? Why have they been showing nothing but shrines? I'm curious too. I don't think the answer being "BECAUSE SPOILERS!!!!" is really valid. That's now how marketing works, especially if this is a huge 50-100 hour open world game. If you have something impressive early in the game, you want everyone to see it.

This kinda reminds me of the MGSV situation with boss fights. I was certain that there would be pretty much no traditional MGS boss fights in the game. When I voiced this concern citing how they only showed Quiet over and over and had no mention or visuals hinting at any other bosses other than the Metal Gear, and pointing out how Peace Walker already followed this format, the diehard fans were telling me that I was being silly and that there's "no way" a numbered MGS would not have the traditional enemy squad bosses. Well, we all know how that turned out.

I trust Nintendo though. I will trust them until they break my heart. If they do I'll just open a bottle of vodka and play this while crying myself to sleep.

I do think the question is worth asking though - the game is one month away, why haven't we seen any footage of a "traditional" dungeon yet, especially the typical early game "first dungeon" that they are always so proud to show off and excite people with? Why have they been showing nothing but shrines? I'm curious too. I don't think the answer being "BECAUSE SPOILERS!!!!" is really valid. That's now how marketing works, especially if this is a huge 50-100 hour open world game. If you have something impressive early in the game, you want everyone to see it.

This kinda reminds me of the MGSV situation with boss fights. I was certain that there would be pretty much no traditional MGS boss fights in the game. When I voiced this concern citing how they only showed Quiet over and over and had no mention or visuals hinting at any other bosses other than the Metal Gear, and pointing out how Peace Walker already followed this format, the diehard fans were telling me that I was being silly and that there's "no way" a numbered MGS would not have the traditional enemy squad bosses. Well, we all know how that turned out.

I trust Nintendo though. I will trust them until they break my heart. If they do I'll just open a bottle of vodka and play this while crying myself to sleep.

A lot of this reminds me of MGSV honestly. It's a bit unnerving. But they're really only showing the beginning of the game so far which does give some validity to the they're trying to avoid spoilers arguement.

Aonuma's standard answer for this (and towns actually) has been about how they tie too heavily into the story for them to be spoiled. I don't know how much I buy this, but it's certainly possible that there is some huge twist mid-game a la all of this being a simulation and the dungeons actually take place in the real world in Kyoto.

With the amount of conventions they're changing though I wouldn't be that surprised if it's just the four divine beasts who all share a similar aesthetic. The world itself has been their focus during development. And the 120 shrines.

Afrodium

Banned

It's becoming more and more clear that you should never trust something is in a game unless it's been shown in a trailer or gameplay footage. If the game comes out and it had traditional dungeons, great, but I'm not gonna argue with people that they're definitely in the gave because the people selling it told me so. Show me the receipts.

TheMoon

I don't think the answer being "BECAUSE SPOILERS!!!!" is really valid. That's now how marketing works, especially if this is a huge 50-100 hour open world game. If you have something impressive early in the game, you want everyone to see it.

Because the new and impressive thing they wanna sell people on is all the other stuff, the big world physics dance surfing horses.

atr0cious

It's becoming more and more clear that you should never trust something is in a game unless it's been shown in a trailer or gameplay footage. If the game comes out and it had traditional dungeons, great, but I'm not gonna argue with people that they're definitely in the gave because the people selling it told me so. Show me the receipts.
Dark souls ii and nms trailers sure were forthcoming about what was in the game right? Maybe one of the dungeon designers (Aonuma) will tell us.

What is larger? What traits of a traditional Zelda dungeon will be present in the larger shrines? What Aonuma is describing could be anything from a large interlocking dungeon with locked doors and a boss key to a shrine with a few more puzzles and a boss fight.

Taking quotes from interviews and assuming the best version of the features described will be in the game always leads to disappointment.

I don't assume this. What I do assume is that there will be "traditional dungeons" in the game that aren't just a small sample of puzzles, enemies, and obstacles strung together with a prize at the end, like the shrines we've seen so far. And at least some of them will have bosses at the end. That's all been said point-blank by Aonuma.

But I'd be happy with any flavor of traditional dungeon, from the generic labyrinths of the NES games to the atmospheric dungeons of the later games. I don't have any preconceived notions about what these dungeons will be like. And, honestly, I'd be super fine with a giant overworld + shrines and no larger dungeons, provided we still get some areas in the overworld that are dangerous and somewhat tricky to navigate.

Thank you for being reasonable. I don't mean to imply the game will be bad or anything, but one of my big hopes for a HD open world Zelda was how much bigger and more detailed the Dungeons can be. The dungones are my favorite part of the series.

atr0cious

How hard is it to think that the company that won't let reviewers talk about games past certain levels or events all the time won't talk about one of the main reasons Zelda fans play the game? Maybe they're trying to sell the game to non Zelda fans and are focusing on the familiar relative to Western output?

Plum

I don't see why "because spoilers" is invalid? The marketing so far has done an amazing job at selling the game and if it weren't for these misconstrued comments the fact we haven't had "dungeon gameplay" shown off wouldn't be an issue at all. We've even seen this before with towns, where people were decrying the game for not having any despite it being made clear that they didn't want to show them at that point (E3). It's been said from the very start that the game is all about exploration.

When you find your first dungeon naturally it's going to feel nothing like the highly scripted introductions to the Deku Tree or Dragonroost Island dungeons. Seeing as they seem to be going for few but much more involved and expansive dungeons (with the room-to-room puzzle solving being handled mostly by the Shrines) that will likely be very different to what we've seen before it's no wonder they don't want to show them off. I also don't see it as any coincidence that the only snippets of footage we've seen so far that people think to be the major dungeons are from the launch trailer which also introduced people like the Gorons, Zora and Gerudo (on top of showing Zelda in full) that hadn't even been hinted at before. I haven't seen a reasonable explanation for those other than "they're dungeons"; they can't be shrines as I discussed above, and they're obviously not parts of the overworld. If your idea of Zelda is that it needs a simple first dungeon ten minutes after you first control Link then yeah, you're going to be disappointed I think.

EDIT: I understand being skeptical, I too was severely, SEVERELY disappointed by MGSV, but so much points to their being dungeons that I think to imply that it will just be the Shrines is way too cynical. Remember that MGSV still had bosses, it just reused them way too much and they were overall not that great. I'm open-minded about BotW, they're doing so many things differently this time around that if the amount, or the structure, of dungeons isn't exactly like the previous games then I won't be disappointed.

I don't think there is a true "first dungeon" in this game. The great plateau is there to introduce you to the key game mechanics and if there are really just 4 or 5 big dungeons they really don't wanna spoil anything.
I still thibk we saw some glimpses of the dungeons in the last trailer. They maybe aren't your traditional "forest, water, fire" type but is that really important as long the riddles inside are interesting and they are just fun to play?
In a few weeks a lot of people will receive their review copies and then we will find out for sure if there are dungeons in that damn game or not.

Its clear they haven't said anything said anything about dungeons because the thing they are most proud of in this new Zelda is the open world, the physic engine, the weapon system, horses etc. and since these are all new things they would rather focus on selling them than shit that have been in pretty much every other Zelda already.

brad-t

Good points. One thought would be that we haven't seen the "first dungeon" because there isn't one; I expect you can tackle the dungeons in whatever order you want.

Agreed. I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask these questions. We only have small bits of vague information about Shrines and or Dungeons. No one can draw a conclusion about how big, what's in them, what they'll look like. There's no real info there.

I have a feeling many of these "can't you read? it's so obvious" posters are going to end up a bit underwhelmed.

Afrodium

Banned
Dark souls ii and nms trailers sure were forthcoming about what was in the game right? Maybe one of the dungeon designers (Aonuma) will tell us.

If you only watched NMS trailers you saw a game where you went to planets and shot rocks. The main lie of the trailers was that the planets were prettier than they ended up being. The people most disappointed by the game were the ones digging through interviews confident that every feature mentioned would be present in the best form imaginable.

Anyway, the conclusion of your argument is that trailers as well as interviews can be misleading so one shouldn't have any expectations until a game is released, which I don't disagree with.

bart64

Banned
There are a couple shots in the latest trailer with interiors filled with complex machinery that looked nothing like the shrines. Wouldn't these have to be dungeons?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't see why "because spoilers" is invalid? The marketing so far has done an amazing job at selling the game and if it weren't for these misconstrued comments the fact we haven't had "dungeon gameplay" shown off wouldn't be an issue at all. We've even seen this before with towns, where people were decrying the game for not having any despite it being made clear that they didn't want to show them at that point (E3). It's been said from the very start that the game is all about exploration.

When you find your first dungeon naturally it's going to feel nothing like the highly scripted introductions to the Deku Tree or Dragonroost Island dungeons. Seeing as they seem to be going for few but much more involved and expansive dungeons (with the room-to-room puzzle solving being handled mostly by the Shrines) that will likely be very different to what we've seen before it's no wonder they don't want to show them off. I also don't see it as any coincidence that the only snippets of footage we've seen so far that people think to be the major dungeons are from the launch trailer which also introduced people like the Gorons, Zora and Gerudo (on top of showing Zelda in full) that hadn't even been hinted at before. I haven't seen a reasonable explanation for those other than "they're dungeons"; they can't be shrines as I discussed above, and they're obviously not parts of the overworld. If your idea of Zelda is that it needs a simple first dungeon ten minutes after you first control Link then yeah, you're going to be disappointed I think.

EDIT: I understand being skeptical, I too was severely, SEVERELY disappointed by MGSV, but so much points to their being dungeons that I think to imply that it will just be the Shrines is way too cynical. Remember that MGSV still had bosses, it just reused them way too much and they were overall not that great. I'm open-minded about BotW, they're doing so many things differently this time around that if the amount, or the structure, of dungeons isn't exactly like the previous games then I won't be disappointed.

Bahaha... bahahahhaaha, 10 mins I wish Zelda was like that. The bloat these recent Zelda's have had in their intro's 10 mins is some alternative reality dream.

Bahaha... bahahahhaaha, 10 mins I wish Zelda was like that. The bloat these recent Zelda's have had in their intro's 10 is some alternative reality dream.

Have you actually seen gameplay of BotW? There is no tutorial in this game, you have 100% freedom within the first 3-4 minutes.

Bahaha... bahahahhaaha, 10 mins I wish Zelda was like that. The bloat these recent Zelda's have had in their intro's 10 mins is some alternative reality dream.

I'd label the Great Plateau's shrines as collectively the functional equivalent of Breath of the Wild's first dungeon. They're layering your first taste of dungeon-ing in the midst of an area that seems like a microcosm for the kinds of exploration you'll be doing throughout the rest of the game. It's an interesting way to ease players into the game without having a heavy-handed, purely scripted tutorial.

And, yes, it looks like you can get into one of those shrines within the first ten minutes of the game.

I'm curious how quickly you'll be able to reach a major main quest dungeon once you leave the plateau, of course.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Have you actually seen gameplay of BotW? There is no tutorial in this game, you have 100% freedom within the first 3-4 minutes.
I'm not talking about BOTW. I'm talking about the implication that the Zelda's before that have you an introductory dungeons with 10 mins of play or anything even close to resembling that. It's an absurd notion only true in an alternative reality.

I'm not talking about BOTW. I'm talking about the implication that the Zelda's before that have you an introductory dungeons with 10 mins of play or anything even close to resembling that. It's an absurd notion only true in an alternative reality.

Gotcha, yeah. If your last Zelda game was OoT then it might be true, but all the more recent ones take far longer to get to the first dungeon.

When are we getting more info on the switch, UI , network stuff, all that other important stuff. ?

"Soon"? I think they said before launch. Hopefully that means we get a February Direct.

Does Link to the Past count :p

Dungeon in the first 1min

Plum

That's just being pedantic as my point would work just the same if I replaced "10 minutes" with "early into the game." The idea is that every 3D Zelda has an early, very simple 1st dungeon that you're railroaded towards which Breath of the Wild doesn't seem to have.

kunonabi

I don't think there is a true "first dungeon" in this game. The great plateau is there to introduce you to the key game mechanics and if there are really just 4 or 5 big dungeons they really don't wanna spoil anything.
I still thibk we saw some glimpses of the dungeons in the last trailer. They maybe aren't your traditional "forest, water, fire" type but is that really important as long the riddles inside are interesting and they are just fun to play?
In a few weeks a lot of people will receive their review copies and then we will find out for sure if there are dungeons in that damn game or not.

Not necessarily forest, water, etc. but I want dungeons that feel like they're part of the world. The shrines feel very detached since they're these generic challenge rooms with very simplistic ways in. I want dungeons that feel like part of a lost civilization or born out of the environment. They don't necessarily all need to be like Snowpeak but I loved those little segments in SS where you unlock the dungeon entrance and Link steps into the unknown. Especially with this huge world that BotW has and the focus on exploration it just seems like a waste to not go nuts with the dungeon design. If they all just look like a machine from the inside I'm going to be pretty disappointed.

Pineconn

This is a BotW thread. Seems pointless to pretentiously bitch about past titles' intros when the upcoming entry fixes this.

Mael

I don't get the issue with the dungeons being bigger shrines?
IF they're like that, it's going to be like Zelda 1 or Zelda 2 and these games had great dungeons.
Certainly better than whatever the fuck WW had to begin with.
Heck even with simple enemy position and some physics puzzles if they last more than 20-40 min it's could more challenging than anything Zelda threw at me since Link's Awakening.

Mostly-naked Link with a burning stick shall defeat the king of evil, as was foretold in prophecy. lol
Ok, this is my head canon now.
Goddamn the reading incomprehension on display in this thread is incredible

Wouldn't be a thread about a French article otherwise...

That's just being pedantic as my point would work just the same if I replaced "10 minutes" with "early into the game." The idea is that every 3D Zelda has an early, very simple 1st dungeon that you're railroaded towards which Breath of the Wild doesn't seem to have.

Like I say above, I'd argue the first set of shrines in BotW is the equivalent of this, except they've layered those very simple dungeon-like zones in a very simple overworld zone as well. It's a microcosm of the entire game.

CronoShot

Am I the only one who's kinda excited about the lack of themed dungeons?

I mean, I know people have enjoyed the obligatory forest, fire, water, etc. dungeons, but I'm more than ready for the mixup.

When are we getting more info on the switch, UI , network stuff, all that other important stuff. ?

Gotta be a Direct before March 3rd actaully explaining Accounts, purchases of content including VC titles, friends and ways to connect, etc. Just hope its soon. They have communicated the features so poorly.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It was a reality in ALBW

Yeah and I'm talking about 3D Zelda's as a comparison point to the dude was talking about. I just found it a funny notion, BotW doesn't need a super early introductory dungeon since it's has a different focus in objective and 3D Zelda's haven't had super early dungeons for a long time either. I just found the idea that someone would have that expectation to be very funny.

I don't get the issue with the dungeons being bigger shrines?
IF they're like that, it's going to be like Zelda 1 or Zelda 2 and these games had great dungeons.
Certainly better than whatever the fuck WW had to begin with.
Heck even with simple enemy position and some physics puzzles if they last more than 20-40 min it's could more challenging than anything Zelda threw at me since Link's Awakening.

Ok, this is my head canon now.

Wouldn't be a thread about a French article otherwise...

No, its about the theming. If dungeons just are bigger shrines it would be a huge disappointing since they would have no unqiue theming and no story which are huge part of what makes dungeons great.

Zelda 1 and 2 are old. It doesn't matter today. Dungeons have a certain standard in Zelda games today and that standard is unique theming and integrated in a story. If the new Zelda fails to meet that standard it will disappoint many people.

And not, that won't be better than WW. WW's dungeons were integrated in the story and were unique.

No, its about the theming. If dungeons just are bigger shrines it would be a huge disappointing since they would have no unqiue theming and no story which are huge part of what makes dungeons great.

Zelda 1 and 2 are old. It doesn't matter today. Dungeons have a certain standard in Zelda games today and that standard is unique theming and integrated in a story. If the new Zelda fails to meet that standard it will disappoint many people

This thinking is a mistake.

Zelda 1 and 2 were more popular in their day than current Zelda games are today. That means there are millions of Zelda players Nintendo has left behind. Those people likely didn't just disappear; they're still around, they just aren't playing current Zelda games.

You shouldn't dismiss old games because they're old. Old games can teach you a lot about how to make new games.

?
We know that the world is what we get, there's an absurd amount of content already layered in the overworld.
It's not going to change significantly.
The dungeons could be different in that they're no longer sitting there for you to complete.
The "forest temple area dungeon" isn't going to radically change midgame for some random event when there is something like 40 quests that are in that area to be missable.
Would make for a very underwhelming experience.

I have no idea what point you're trying to make, here.

I'm just talking about the early part of the game being a basic introduction to the kinds of exploration and puzzle solving that exist in Breath of the Wild. And I'm talking about the Great Plateau being functionally equivalent to the tutorial sections in other Zelda games.

Mael

Like I say above, I'd argue the first set of shrines in BotW is the equivalent of this, except they've layered those very simple dungeon-like zones in a very simple overworld zone as well. It's a microcosm of the entire game.

?
We know that the world is what we get, there's an absurd amount of content already layered in the overworld.
It's not going to change significantly.
The dungeons could be different in that they're no longer sitting there for you to complete.
The "forest temple area dungeon" isn't going to radically change midgame for some random event when there is something like 40 quests that are in that area to be missable.
Would make for a very underwhelming experience.

Top Bottom