• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Zelda: Twilight Princess HD Footage

Oh snap, isn't this out March 5? This is sneaking up on me.

So ready for this. It's been 7-8 years since I last played Twilight Princess.

TheJoRu

Looks alright. I definitely recommend the game for anyone who hasn't played it, this should be the definitive version for sure. But as someone who's played it before I find there to be too little to be excited about.

Seik

Banned
Looks good to me, can't wait for it to come out.

I've been holding up on re-doing it on Dolphin for a long time.

I wish they'd just release it early!

Edit: The textures look good, but the lightning it still lackluster. The flashback scene of Zant's takeover looks SO bad.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Ugh... first hour and he only just turned into a wolf. I'm beginning to be reminded of some very specific problems with Twilight Princess...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Looks alright. I definitely recommend the game for anyone who hasn't played it, this should be the definitive version for sure. But as someone who's played it before I find there to be too little to be excited about.

I agree. Must have for those who still has to play it. Me I already finished this 50+ hours game ten years ago so not particulary tempted

Not because of the game, that is great, or the remake, that is good (reviewing right now) but because of the kind of game it is

TheJoRu

Ugh... first hour and he only just turned into a wolf. I'm beginning to be reminded of some very specific problems with Twilight Princess...

I've always seen the slow opening in the village as a remnant of a time where everyone and everything wanted to be Lord of the Rings, mimicking the long stay in The Shire.

NeoBob688

Overall it looks good. As someone who has played the original in HD with Dolphin I do appreciate significant efforts here in terms of redone textures in a lot of segments and new HUD, as opposed to a simple upscale. Some effects could use more work, e.g., the water texture in the village. The lack of a good anisotropic filtering solution is a bummer (e.g.: top surface of the bridge in the intro section). Would buy if I had a WiiU.

maxcriden

Nate, I assume you have the game now? Can you confirm whether the soundtrack has been remastered? There's been some speculation over this the last few days as the CD being released does include some remastered tracks but we are unsure if the actual game's sound was improved at all and it's hard to tell from online vids. Thanks!

Ninjimbo

I've always seen the slow opening in the village as a remnant of a time where everyone and everything wanted to be Lord of the Rings, mimicking the long stay in The Shire.
The way I see it: if your game is going to be 40 hours long, I don't mind having an hour or two of tease and introduction before the game starts going all out. As long as there is payoff for my patience, there isn't a problem. Fortunately TP delivers in that area.

Persona 4 is another one of those games with a long intro that goes without a single battle for an extended period of time, but it sets up all the story beats perfectly.

Revven

Hey Nate (if you have the game), I don't know how far you are in the game as of yet to check but do you know if any of the areas of Hyrule Field that had loading zones before if they are still there? In the Iwata Asks for Wind Waker HD (I think that's where this came from?) they discussed what Zelda games they tested to HD remaster and one of them was TP. At the time, for their test they messed around with removing all the loading zones in Hyrule Field because the Wii U could handle it -- handle the entirety of Hyrule Field being loaded at once instead of having some parts of it with loading zones.

If you aren't far enough to check for this, when you do get far enough can you look into it? This is one of the things that hasn't been said one way or the other.

Oh and no, loading zones into villages don't count. It's just loading zones into other parts of Hyrule Field -- so like I think one example is the Eldin Bridge area. I believe there's a loading zone to go into that area in the original. Another example might be going into one of the parts that leads to Castle Town. But my memory could be foggy lol.

NateDrake

Hey Nate (if you have the game), I don't know how far you are in the game as of yet to check but do you know if any of the areas of Hyrule Field that had loading zones before if they are still there? In the Iwata Asks for Wind Waker HD (I think that's where this came from?) they discussed what Zelda games they tested to HD remaster and one of them was TP. At the time, for their test they messed around with removing all the loading zones in Hyrule Field because the Wii U could handle it -- handle the entirety of Hyrule Field being loaded at once instead of having some parts of it with loading zones.

If you aren't far enough to check for this, when you do get far enough can you look into it? This is one of the things that hasn't been said one way or the other.

Oh and no, loading zones into villages don't count. It's just loading zones into other parts of Hyrule Field -- so like I think one example is the Eldin Bridge area. I believe there's a loading zone to go into that area in the original. Another example might be going into one of the parts that leads to Castle Town. But my memory could be foggy lol.

I just returned to the main world after becoming Wolf Link, so about 2-2.5hrs into the game at this point. Will be playing the game plenty today. I'll check this out.

Nate, I assume you have the game now? Can you confirm whether the soundtrack has been remastered? There's been some speculation over this the last few days as the CD being released does include some remastered tracks but we are unsure if the actual game's sound was improved at all and it's hard to tell from online vids. Thanks!
Any specific track I should be on the listen for? So far I'd say the soundtrack sounds the same as it did when I played on Wii, but I'm only 2hrs or so into the game at this point.

braves01

Banned
It looks really nice in these videos, much better than the reveal. I'm getting really pumped for release, even the first couple hours of the game which I think are actually pretty nice for showing rustic, pre-hero of time Link's life.

TheMoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI3w7L62IPs&feature=youtu.be&a
Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - Entering Hyrule Field, Twilight Realm, & BRIDGE!

balgajo

For those wondering Nate confirmed in the other thread the lack of intro trailer, which is pretty sad.

As far as I can tell there isn't one. I recall the Wii/GCN playing that lengthy trailer immediately after the title screen sequence, and I let this play through the title screen 4 or 5 times expecting one to pop up.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
loading zones seem the same but loading time are reduced
link transformation is way faster too, dialogues are skippable faster and so are cut scenes
these and the collection phases now more streamlined make the game fresher

PtM

Banned
No, it's a remnant of "everybody's grandma needs to be able to play it on the Wii".

Miyamoto specifically ordered to make it over three days.

Even more a reason why this negligence sucks.

Revven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI3w7L62IPs&feature=youtu.be&a
Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - Entering Hyrule Field, Twilight Realm, & BRIDGE!

^ Yep, looks like the same loading zones

I said loading zones into villages don't count because it's obvious those wouldn't be altered, especially Kakariko Village since that place also includes the trail leading to Death Mountain. Where that video takes place is too early into the game to see the loading zones I'm talking about.

Hyrule Field itself, meaning the areas outside of Castle Town, Kakariko Village, Lake Hylia, and so on. Just the field areas. That is what the game defines Hyrule Field as.

Man, they dropped the ball with this for sure. There's so much they could have improved on. Still a decent baseline remaster, but not what I expected at all...

Not 2-3 hours long, though Skyward Sword got close. Ocarina of Time was like, what, 20-minutes until you got to the first dungeon?

They still all start with "the Shire."

I think OoT is only seen as fast because people know what they're doing now. First time playing it, you talked to everyone, learned how to move around in a 3D world, etc. Probably took 1-2 hours for many people.

Kinsei

Banned
Haven't all 3D Zeldas had a long intro in a happy little village?

Nope. OoT's is over in a snap if you know what you're doing, MM throws you right into the action, and WW is over very quickly if you know what you're doing like OoT. The only games with long intros are TP and SS.

They still all start with "the Shire."

I think OoT is only seen as fast because people know what they're doing now. First time playing it, you talked to everyone, learned how to move around in a 3D world, etc. Probably took 1-2 hours for many people.

And the problem with the TP intro is that it still takes hours even if you know what you're doing.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Any impressions on the reworked controls via the gamepad and map system? Looked great in the videos.

Ma is.pretty useful inside dungeons
Controls are good. Having played it in wii, I am appreciating the second stick to move the camera a lot, and aiming with both stick and gyro is simply great

Revven

Not really. Wind Waker's intro is about 20-30 minutes on the intro island (Outset) with the next half taking place in a mediocre stealth-based section in a fortress (the latter of which is certainly more engaging than what TP has you do). It maybe takes like an hour to an hour and a half to start the first dungeon in WW depending on how well you can get through the Fortress and how quickly you buy the Sail in Windfall. OoT barely has any kind of intro to speak of, go get the sword and get 40 ruppees to buy the shield and you'll be able to go into the first dungeon in under 20 minutes.

MM I'll give you, you have to spend a full three day cycle in Clock Town before you can actually start doing anything significant or noteworthy (let alone start the first dungeon).

Skyward Sword had a decently long intro but it was definitely shorter than TP (but that isn't saying much).

All the 3D Zeldas have an intro but their lengths vary but TP takes the cake for the longest one out of all of them simply because you do so much shit before you can even get to the first dungeon. If you know the game well, it's probably like an hour and a half if you mash through dialogue, skip cutscenes, and rush on through. Otherwise if it's your first time (or if you're taking your time and you've played it before) it's at least 3 hours before you get into the first dungeon and all for narrative and tutorial reasons.

Everybody was hoping they'd tweak the intro for TP somehow but they've done nothing to address it (other than I guess now you only need to catch the fish for the cat once?) It was the most glaring flaw with TP but due to how the narrative is structured in the beginning it's (understandably and frustratingly) unchanged. The optimal way to fix it would have been allowing the player to actually opt out of doing the chores by having a simple "No" option that actually let's you skip doing them but alas.

Kevin

Yeah I actually prefer the slower intros as it helps build up the story, characters and events more. I play Zelda for the adventure, story and exploration more so then the action.

PtM

Banned
OoT, which TP mimics, has a way more optional and exploratory beginning. In the Wii days, Nintendo took the handholding to the extreme. Also, recent Zeldas are shackled by clumsy storytelling, pushing you to the next cutscene.

Kevin

OoT, which TP mimics, has a way more optional and exploratory beginning. In the Wii days, Nintendo took the handholding to the extreme. Also, recent Zeldas are shackled by clumsy storytelling, pushing you to the next cutscene.

I just wish Nintendo would finally start showing off the new Zelda game which has been in development for a very long time at this point. I bought a Wii U for the new Zelda and the Wii U's lifespan is almost over with and the new consoles are being talked about. Where's my new Zelda? Ugh...

Tookay

Nope. OoT's is over in a snap if you know what you're doing, MM throws you right into the action, and WW is over very quickly if you know what you're doing like OoT. The only games with long intros are TP and SS.

MM is my favorite game of all-time but I'd hardly say that its intro "throws you right into the action."

All these discussions seem to show is how arbitrary people are in defining what exactly an "intro" is, so as to fit some narrative.

MM is my favorite game of all-time but I'd hardly say that its intro "throws you right into the action."

All of the discussions about the 3D Zelda intros seem to show how arbitrary people are in defining what exactly the "intro" entails, so as to fit some narrative.

Well, MM does throw you right into the action, with the chasing down of Skull Kid. Granted, it slows down right after, but it at least starts with something exciting, which Twilight Princess takes hours to get to

The Boat

I hate that people need to get to a dungeon to feel as if they're playing. The opening hours are fantastic, you get to know the village, the characters, some mechanics, Link's day to day all with only small amounts of dialog. It's the perfect set up for the adventure, but peope are always in a rush to get to the action.

Tookay

Well, MM does throw you right into the action, with the chasing down of Skull Kid. Granted, it slows down right after, but it at least starts with something exciting, which Twilight Princess takes hours to get to

But that's the thing. You can't really imply that 30 seconds of chasing Skull Kid is an exciting intro and then exclude from the conversation the subsequent three days you have to spend in Clock Town doing stuff.

I hate that people need to get to a dungeon to feel as if they're playing. The opening hours are fantastic, you get to know the village, the characters, Link's day to day all with only small amounts of dialog. It's the perfect set up for the adventure, but peope are always in a rush to get to the action.

I agree. I think it's really bizarre to treat the "time until dungeon" as the most meaningful metric and sign of quality in a Zelda game's intro. Setting up the world, characters, mood, and context of the story are meritworthy goals. And, yes, given that these games only come out now every 4-5 years and have virtually no equivalent means that they should be teaching people the mechanics through them too.

PtM

Banned

All these discussions seem to show is how arbitrary people are in defining what exactly an "intro" is, so as to fit some narrative.
Tbh the first cycle does kinda introduce you to the people and Groundhog Day mechanics, but you can speed it up anyway.
I agree. I think it's really bizarre to treat the "time until dungeon" as the most meaningful metric and sign of quality in a Zelda game's intro. Setting up the world, characters, mood, and context of the story are meritworthy goals. And, yes, given that these games only come out now every 4-5 years and have virtually no equivalent means that they should be teaching people the mechanics through them too.
No, they should enable players to learn them if necessary, but let different folks progress at their own pace.

Top Bottom