• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newegg: Gran Turismo 6 (PS3) listed for November 28th release date

Spending all that time making GT6 maybe?

yea they have been working on GT6 for a while...and I am guessing their PS4 engine as well. Probably waiting for final PS4 dev kits, playing around with tessellation, DX11 shaders, different types of AA etc

They were working on GT6 even before GT5's release. Also, Yoshida mentioned that some of PD's top members helped create the PS4. So at the very least they certainly have a lot of knowledge of the platform.

paskowitz

I know this sounds crazy but what if PD are building a scalable GT platform that would work on all PS systems (PS3, PS4 and PS4)?

All assets can be scaled. And unlike other genres the gameplay experience in a racing game can also be scaled. The biggest hurdles would be cross platform connectivity/online play and developing a game engine to seamlessly work across 3 different platforms. Once this foundation is set, content is universally added over time.

I know it's crazy, but... It falls in line with many rumors and fits Sony's cross play strategy.

ruttyboy

Sounds like Sony and PD are run by monkeys.

They are insane to even consider putting Gran Turismo 6 on the PS3. What is the point of even producing the PS4?

Madness.

I still don't understand this. A launch title GT would be huge, instead we get to wait until 2020 for a next gen GT.

This thread is amazing, 'insane' for putting out software that will sell at a minimum 5 million copies.

And this history will definitely repeat itself fallacy, because obviously monkeys are incapable of learning.

EDIT: @pask, it's not crazy at all.

spwolf

It is a possibility if they want to maximize sales of the PS3 version this year.
Also on PS4 there's Drive Club this year. But the game is probably multiplatform, so a PS3 version doesn't mean that they aren't working on PS4.

you guys keep putting companies into this small box, and then complain how come they are in the box.

GT6 can be both PS3 and PS4, launch in December, people who dont have money for PS4, will get PS3 version and people who do, will get PS4 and GT6.

Drive Club is different game and launching in September/October.

Sony needs stellar lineup right away if they want to launch PS4 out of the gate and one of the Sony guys said before something like - big difference between PS3 and PS4 launches will be that PS4 will have many games.

Boom. Games. Sell. Consoles.

Artifically limiting your expensive new console to 5 games at launch will not do you any wonders.

And via PS Cloud, they can deliver GT6 PS4 to anyone, PS3 owners, PS4 owners, Bravia Owners, Xperia Owners, anyone.

PS4 version can have more poly car models, more track details, more cars on the track, more physics, more damage... it can easily all be in the same engine, with 2 switches - PS3 and PS4.

This is how many of new games are PS3/Vita - Sony has given them tools to make transition as simple as a switch. Same will be done with PS4, with expection of big studio's doing their own tools.

By having both PS3 and PS4 versions of GT6, they are maximizing sales of both PS3, PS4 and GT6.

I know this sounds crazy but what if PD are building a scalable GT platform that would work on all PS systems (PS3, PS4 and PS4)?

Scalable between the PS3 and PS4 are certainly possible. Vita is out of question. Too weak and the card size would cause them to have to gimp the hell out the game. But we know that their car assets are above what the PS3 can handle. And the assumption is that they're doing the same with their courses.

Elios83

There's no way that they're going to be able to shrink that game down to fit onto a Vita card. Aren't Vita game cards limited to 4gb? Because GT5's updates alone are 4.4gb.

They'll find a way, it will be a 'customized downgrade' afterall. It's not the 'same' game.
I don't think that the memory card size is a issue, they could use 8GB cards specifically for it (there would be no problem for Sony) or they would just have to work with what they have and make it fit.
Fact is that PS4 and Vita need GT much more than PS3. A GT5 datadisk for PS3 is just a way to make more money in the process.

you guys keep putting companies into this small box, and then complain how come they are in the box.

GT6 can be both PS3 and PS4, launch in December, people who dont have money for PS4, will get PS3 version and people who do, will get PS4 and GT6.

Drive Club is different game and launching in September/October.

Sony needs stellar lineup right away if they want to launch PS4 out of the gate and one of the Sony guys said before something like - big difference between PS3 and PS4 launches will be that PS4 will have many games.

Boom. Games. Sell. Consoles.

Artifically limiting your expensive new console to 5 games at launch will not do you any wonders.

And via PS Cloud, they can deliver GT6 PS4 to anyone, PS3 owners, PS4 owners, Bravia Owners, Xperia Owners, anyone.

PS4 version can have more poly car models, more track details, more cars on the track, more physics, more damage... it can easily all be in the same engine, with 2 switches - PS3 and PS4.

This is how many of new games are PS3/Vita - Sony has given them tools to make transition as simple as a switch. Same will be done with PS4, with expection of big studio's doing their own tools.

By having both PS3 and PS4 versions of GT6, they are maximizing sales of both PS3, PS4 and GT6.

I see that you want to play GT on a PS4 but honestly if GT is available this year on PS4, Drive Club becomes a wasted investement, while on the contrary if it's THE racer on the platform for a while, it can sell really well, like happened with the original Motorstorm.

Has there ever been a major 1st party cross platform title? I cant think of anything and it seems hard to think GT6 would be the first. I really want it on PS4 though. Hopefully (haha!) all the talk about making cars for PS4 hardware and then downsampling for PS3 will mean a quick turn around for GT7 (or at least not like 4 years)

Takuya

Banned
There's no way that they're going to be able to shrink that game down to fit onto a Vita card. Aren't Vita game cards limited to 4gb? Because GT5's updates alone are 4.4gb.

Eh, they could always have it split on two cards (install + game runtime) and then have a requirement of XGB free on your memory card.

I see that you want to play GT on a PS4 but honestly if GT is available this year on PS4, Drive Club becomes a wasted investement, while on the contrary if it's THE racer on the platform for a while, it can sell really well, like happened with the original Motorstorm.

exactly, it would be a spat in the face of Evolution. GT6 on PS4 this year makes no sense at all.

And salable engines also doesn't make any sense, the gulf between PS3 and PS4 is too enormous

They'll find a way, it will be a 'customized downgrade' afterall. It's not the 'same' game.
I don't think that the memory card size is a issue, they could use 8GB cards specifically for it (there would be no problem for Sony) or they would just have to work with what they have and make it fit.
Fact is that PS4 and Vita need GT much more than PS3. A GT5 datadisk for PS3 is just a way to make more money in the process.

DriveClub looks great and all, but its doesn't look like a simulator. I think DriveClub and GT6 could co-exist. I'd buy both.

ruttyboy

exactly, it would be a spat in the face of Evolution. GT6 on PS4 this year makes no sense at all.

And salable engines also doesn't make any sense, the gulf between PS3 and PS4 is too enormous

Personally I know I would buy both DC and GT6 so I presume many others would too. Plus two months is plenty of time for most games to shift the majority of their copies.

Surely it's easier to scale for two known quanitities than what PC developers encounter everyday, a truely HUGE range of capability and variety. There's no reason they couldn't do it if they wanted to, the question is, do they want to?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Two full GT games per Playstation console, you guys should be pleased.

But I'll be playing Driveclub. :D

Takuya

Banned
DriveClub looks great and all, but its doesn't look like a simulator. I think DriveClub and GT6 could co-exist. I'd buy both.

It really depends... The only way for Driveclub to co-exist beside GT6 (on the same platform) is if Polyphony opts to not include social type features in their game.

The Vita doesn't need GT6. Because no one is going to go out and buy a Vita for that game when they can play it on their PS3 or possible PS4. The Vita needs game that you can only get on that platform, and games that actually fit the handheld experience. Sony has already thrown several of their major franchises at the Vita and it hasn't done shit for them. They should take that as an indication that what people buy on consoles isn't necessarily what they want on handhelds.

Has there ever been a major 1st party cross platform title?

No, but it's something that Sony's looking into

Eurogamer: Well I think if you can't play big PS3 games on PS4 [which is what David Perry said] --

Shuhei Yoshida: -- Right.

Eurogamer: And Beyond is a big PS3 game loads of people want to play, and The Last Guardian is something I really want to play - I want to play them on the new console. Because once that new console comes out, I'm going to move the PS3 to a different part of the room, you know what I mean?

Shuhei Yoshida: [Pause]

Eurogamer: So is it something you've talked about?

Shuhei Yoshida: Yes, so, we've been making some of our PS2 games available upgraded and published on PS3, and in some cases like God of War or Shadow of the Colossus, some people say this is the better version of the original game, so something like that, we find it very satisfying from a development standpoint, and those who create original titles are thrilled to see more people playing their games, because of the update. So I think for some games it will make sense for us to look at, but we are not talking about any more about our titles other than the four titles.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-the-big-interview-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-on-ps4

Eh, they could always have it split on two cards (install + game runtime) and then have a requirement of XGB free on your memory card.

But that's just the updates. GT5's actual file size is around 16gb. And all indications are that GT6 is going to be much bigger than that. You can look at past GT games as an example of just how much bigger the second entry is compared to the first. So you probably looking at a dual layered Blu-ray for GT6. So 25gb+.

GT6 will be a PS3 game for the same reasons GTAV is.

1. Already been in development for years.

2. Massive install base ready to eat it up.

Takuya

Banned
But that's just the updates. GT5's actual file size is around 16gb. And all indications are that GT6 is going to be much bigger than that. You can look at past GT games as an example of just how much bigger the second entry is compared to the first. So you probably looking at a dual layered Blu-ray for GT6. So 25gb+.

GT PSP wasn't that big (1GB?), I don't see them doing a straight on "build for Vita" from original GT6 code, but they could make a separate "gutted" game for Vita.

GT6 will be a PS3 game for the same reasons GTAV is.

1. Already been in development for years.

2. Massive install base ready to eat it up.

Same could be said that GT is a system seller and will move consoles at launch, building up a pretty substantial userbase.

Elios83

The Vita doesn't need GT6. Because no one is going to go out and buy a Vita for that game when they can play it on their PS3 or possible PS4. The Vita needs game that you can only get on that platform, and games that actually fit the handheld experience. Sony has already thrown several of their major franchises at the Vita and it hasn't done shit for them. They should take that as an indication that what people buy on consoles isn't necessarily what they want on handhelds.

You're talking like that just because you probably don't care about playing GT on a handheld and you want to see them focused just on home consoles.
But infact the PSP version of the game sold really well in the long run (5m?) and having the possibility to play a modern GT on Vita while you're on a train is a selling point for many. They need new original experiences but they also need big names.
It's just that maybe you're not interested in it and so you're discounting it.

Niks

This thread is amazing, 'insane' for putting out software that will sell at a minimum 5 million copies.

And this history will definitely repeat itself fallacy, because obviously monkeys are incapable of learning.

Trick question: What is Sonys best interest, sell consoles or sell games?

spwolf

All assets can be scaled. And unlike other genres the gameplay experience in a racing game can also be scaled. The biggest hurdles would be cross platform connectivity/online play and developing a game engine to seamlessly work across 3 different platforms. Once this foundation is set, content is universally added over time.

I know it's crazy, but... It falls in line with many rumors and fits Sony's cross play strategy.

Assets are already built at maximum level and PS3 is displaying only small part of poly's because it cant do better... but PD has said that they already built GT5 models for next gen, 6-7 years ago.

But for online and such, i doubt it, since they are similar but not the same games... so you would have to built it to lower common denominator and cant have advanced physics if Vita cant use it for instance... or cant have 16 car races if PS3 cant do it, etc, etc.

ruttyboy

Nope, it would shift PS4's, not PS3's. GT fans will already have a PS3, which is why they hope it's on PS3, instead of wanting the best game possible.

The market that buys games is not static. Since GT5 was released there have been millions of children who have grown to an age where they can be introduced to/would be interested in the GT series. Couple this with a price dropped PS3 and watch it fly.

That is a nonsense answer and you know it.

Kyoufu

That is a nonsense answer and you know it.

It's not though unless you think people who would be interested in Gran Turismo do not already own GT5.

And even if GT6 manages to bring in a new audience, it'd still be less than the existing audience shifting over to PS4.

I just don't understand why they'd put their biggest IP on PS3 and not their new system other than to make money from their PS3 engine.

ruttyboy

It's not though unless you think people who would be interested in Gran Turismo do not already own GT5.

As per my answer in my previous post, new customers are literally created all the time. By your reasoning only people who bought the first game would ever buy any of the sequels...

And even if GT6 manages to bring in a new audience, it'd still be less than the existing audience shifting over to PS4.

I just don't understand why they'd put their biggest IP on PS3 and not their new system other than to make money from their PS3 engine.

You really think a $99 console and an amazing game with outstanding pedigree would be less popular in the mass market (which is where the real sales numbers are) than a bleeding edge console at upwards of $400 which for all we know will be stock limited anyway?

That's exactly why, to make money!

ruttyboy

Surely there are more existing fans than new customers? That'd be the whole point of a PS4 release.

Perhaps, but only a very small percentage of those fans would convert to a PS4 immediately. The majority of people cannot justify a launch console.

GT PSP wasn't that big (1GB?), I don't see them doing a straight on "build for Vita" from original GT6 code, but they could make a separate "gutted" game for Vita.

Well, what you're talking about there is something completely different from GT6. There's no way that they'd number the Vita version if it's as stripped down as GT PSP.

You're talking like that just because you probably don't care about playing GT on a handheld and you want to see them focused just on home consoles.
But infact the PSP version of the game sold really well in the long run (5m?) and having the possibility to play a modern GT on Vita while you're on a train is a selling point for many. They need new original experiences but they also need big names.
It's just that maybe you're not interested in it and so you're discounting it.

Well, just look at what happened with One Piece PS3 and Vita. The Vita version sold 60k in its first week in Japan while the PS3 version sold 274k. And that's a country that's in love with handheld gaming right now.

As much as I want a GT on PS4... I think I'll be OK with Drive Club (assuming it's 60fps) until Polyphony is ready to wow the world once again. I just hope we see a prologue release early 2014 and the final game in late 2014 on the PS4.

ruttyboy

Hence the term "system seller game". See nintendo.

I'm not denying that it would be a reason for many to buy (including myself), I'm contesting the assertion (by many here to be fair, not just whoever I quoted) that this move is 'insane' and 'the worst decision ever'.

Every console release people are up in arms because there's not some killer title at lauch and yet the companies continue not to throw away keystone titles on a launch and consoles continue to sell. Launch titles are largely throwaway games for a reason. They know that the very first people who are buying the console would probably buy one no matter what games are available and the install base will never be there to support a major title.

Is DriveClub a simulation? I always thought it was more of an arcade racer like NFS or something. If they are both simulation, then I agree ... but I think having a sim and an arcade is an OK bet. Especially if they have GT6 with expansions and such could see a yearly release of content from the get-go.

Yes, I am dreaming.

There are two ways for Sony to look at the DriveClub and GT6 situation

1.) GT6 on the PS4 would take all hype away from DriveClub, even if it's just sort of an HD-remaster.

2.) GT6 on the PS4 would cause a big increase in initial PS4 buyers who might then want to check out DriveClub if there's a lot of positive buzz around it.

Not putting this on the ps4 would be one of the dumbest things Sony has ever done.

I mean, even GT5 is already next gen ready. Just make it a cross platform title. MS will have Forza at launch. No need for Sony to allow that series any unnecessary attention.

Drive Club is an Open World Arcade-style Racer. As stated by the devs. GT is a "Sim".

Also, they released Motorsrotm Apocalyplse three months after GT5. So it wouldn't be the first time they released two first-party racing games close together.

ascii42

Has there ever been a major 1st party cross platform title? I cant think of anything and it seems hard to think GT6 would be the first. I really want it on PS4 though. Hopefully (haha!) all the talk about making cars for PS4 hardware and then downsampling for PS3 will mean a quick turn around for GT7 (or at least not like 4 years)

Twilight Princess?

I was staying out of this thread because i refuse to believe in this BS until it´s official, but last night i was thinking: we made a huge deal about PD protecting their IP, so that they wouldn´t borrow the name to Evolution, but with this move, releasing a game nobody wants (timewise) in an obsolete machine is more damaging to the GT brand then letting someone do a spin off.

Sure it probably sell five millions or so, but the damage on the brand will be noticiable.

We´ve been through this before, and i´n holding on to what Verendus said, that the next GT is a next gen game.

Hopefully it´s just retailers reading GAF and creating BS.

saladine1

1.) GT6 on the PS4 would take all hype away from DriveClub, even if it's just sort of an HD-remaster.

2.) GT6 on the PS4 would cause a big increase in initial PS4 buyers who might then want to check out DriveClub if there's a lot of positive buzz around it.

That will be a tough sell I think.

"Why would I ever need another racing game when I have a beast that is Gran Turismo?"..

Kyoufu

3.) Releasing GT6 in the same time-frame as DriveClub. regardless of system, is bad for DriveClub.

Top Bottom