• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Newest AMD R9 300 series rumors: 380 ~$330, 380X ~ $400, 390 ~$700, 390X ~$700+ 300W+

God dammit I really can't decide if I should jump on a 970 for my first build or wait a bit until new stuff comes out. I don't know much about this stuff, but the info in the OP doesn't seem impressive.

Well, the OP is just rumors. Nothing's confirmed so far. As for new stuff, the last rumor for the 300 series was June (and for Nvidia's next card, summer/fall). If you're not in a hurry, maybe just wait till then.

UnrealEck

The sad thing is that these days, I only really look forward to AMD's cards releasing so I can see what nVidia's answer to it will be.
The last red card I bought was an X800XT PE. When was that thing out? 2005? 2006?

Kezen

Banned
The sad thing is that these days, I only really look forward to AMD's cards releasing so I can see what nVidia's answer to it will be.
The last red card I bought was an X800XT PE. When was that thing out? 2005? 2006?

Nvidia's answer will be a higher clocked GM200 chip. Nothing too exciting and probably 699$ MSRP.

vg260

Same. I used to buy AMD cards, but after the last few Nvidia cards I've owned, I can't really go back.

riflen

Why is 300w considered bad? Aren't 500w PSU standard for a gaming PC? Wouldn't more Watts equal more power?

Well, aside from just being not a very energy efficient design, the problem is heat. A lot of the power pulled through these components is converted into heat. More heat = more pressure on the cooling system, perhaps more than it can handle. This can mean your component hits thermal safety limits, and performance could be scaled back to reduce the temperature.

So, more and more watts means you need a more and more effective cooling system. There's only so much heat that these air coolers made with common materials can transfer away from the components. This is partly why we're staring to see liquid coolers being offered by AMD on some GPU products.

tuxfool

Banned
Well, aside from just being not a very energy efficient design, the problem is heat. A lot of the power pulled through these components is converted into heat. More heat = more pressure on the cooling system, perhaps more than it can handle. This can mean your component hits thermal safety limits, and performance could be scaled back to reduce the temperature.

So, more and more watts means you need a more and more effective cooling system. There's only so much heat that these air coolers made with common materials can transfer away from the components. This is partly why we're staring to see liquid coolers being offered by AMD on some GPU products.

Yeah, more power complicates things from heat and delivery. But one cannot categorically state that if something uses more power then it is less efficient. It could be more efficient depending on the performance of the GPU.

ZOONAMI

God this whole tdp thing is ridiculous. A titan x pulls 250w, and will pull 300 if OCd. We're not even talking about 50 watts. My guess would be that while gaming they average close to the same tdp in the 200-275 watt range. At idle and non-gaming scenarios they will pull the same. In fact, amds cards have been pulling less than nvidias at idle lately - and I would think that would actually save more power over time than saving 25-50 watts at load here and there. I have no idea how nvidia has convinced you all that tdp is such is a big deal. And then the board partners release 300 watt special edition titan x, and you all go and buy those. Lol.

riflen

Yeah, more power complicates things from heat and delivery. But one cannot categorically state that if something uses more power then it is less efficient. It could be more efficient depending on the performance of the GPU.

Yes, of course we can't say that about unreleased GPUs. I kind of had Hawaii XT in mind when posting that. Nothing wrong with 300 Watts if the power is going to good use.

The Llama

God this whole tdp thing is ridiculous. A titan x pulls 250w, and will pull 300 if OCd. We're not even talking about 50 watts. My guess would be that while gaming they average close to the same tdp in the 200-275 watt range. At idle and non-gaming scenarios they will pull the same. In fact, amds cards have been pulling less than nvidias at idle lately - and I would think that would actually save more power over time than saving 25-50 watts at load here and there. I have no idea how nvidia has convinced you all that tdp is such is a big deal. And then the board partners release 300 watt special edition titan x, and you all go and buy those. Lol.

I think it comes down to where you live. My understanding is that electricity rates in Europe are like at least 5x higher than in the US. So basically, I don't really care how much electricity my GPU's use since it really doesn't affect me but I guess it can make a difference to Europeans.

It's a new line of gpus... performance is supposed to go up, comparing it to the previous gen of gpus for pricing makes absolutely no sense
The old high end becomes the new midrange
If this rumor is correct the old high end remains at the old high end price and the new high end comes at a big price hike.

What will you do when the 490x comes out and is 50 percent faster again? pay 1200 dollars for it? And the one after that? 2000?
And don't shrug this off because it's already happened and is about to happen again, prices doubled once in the past 4 years and they're about to nearly double again.

Your next phone is going to be 2x faster than your current one and will be the fastest phone available for a while, are you going to pay double for it too? A fool and his money I guess.

I can't believe I even have to explain this to you, I hope you are getting paid for your shilling.

I have to agree with this

It will certainly be interesting to see how much faster the 380x is over the 290x in that price range. 25% should put it past the 980, and maybe 50% or more on the 390x. Sounds good..

Now get these damn cards out AMD!

I don't know too much about this stuff but shouldn't the 380(x) be cheaper than the current 290(x). I'll use nvidia as an example. The 970 is faster than the 780 and its a lot cheaper than the 780 was. I think that's what sneakystephen is also saying. Performance increase is a given. If these rumors are true it seems like AMD is raising prices on all of their cards

tuxfool

Banned
I don't know too much about this stuff but shouldn't the 380(x) be cheaper than the current 290(x). I'll use nvidia as an example. The 970 is faster than the 780 and its a lot cheaper than the 780 was. I think that's what sneakystephen is also saying. Performance increase is a given. If these rumors are true it seems like AMD is raising prices on all of their cards

It should be whatever price amd decides is competitive against the bracket.

the 380x could be stronger than the 970 or even equivalent to a 980 thus it will be priced accordingly. It should be noted that the 290x is priced so cheaply because it is a very old gpu and is a generation behind maxwell2, beyond being in the same perf bracket.

ValfarHL

AMD-Radeon-R9-390X-vs-290X-performance.jpg

Well if the 390X is really 50-60% faster than the 290X then $700+ is okay.....but over $1000 would be to much if you ask me.

290X in BF4 in 4K:
minFPS:28 avgFPS:37

390X would be
minFPS: 44 avgFPS:59

4K gaming on single GPU is now pretty good!

Gotta love graphs like that. I wonder if my 970 purchase two days ago was a bad idea..

I feel like AMD are missing their chance here. GTA 5, Witcher 3, pCARS are all here and there's no new line of cards to upgrade to...

tuxfool

Banned
I feel like AMD are missing their chance here. GTA 5, Witcher 3, pCARS are all here and there's no new line of cards to upgrade to...

GTA5 runs really well on current cards. Witcher 3 is bundled with Nvidia cards, pCars probably doesn't have a massive audience (it seems very scalable too).

Top Bottom