• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nex Machina Announced

Colour Overload
giphy.gif

Miker

Looks awesome and I'm definitely in, but I was hoping for them to show off Matterfall instead. As much as I love twin stick shooters, especially Housemarque's, I'd like to see their take on a run-and-gun. Outland controlled so damn well that I'm sure they have it in them to make an amazing 2D action game.

5taquitos

I'll be there! I was actually a little let down by Alienation, felt it tried to do loot but stayed too shallow, so it wasn't really arcade nor was it really RPG. This looks like a true return to form.

Friendly Reminder:

Eugene Jarvis was the developer behind Robotron 2084, Defender and Smash TV, some of the most influential arcade games in the U.S. It's because of him that we have twin-stick shooting.
Oh, and he also worked on the Cruisin' games.

Friendly Reminder:

Eugene Jarvis was the developer behind Robotron 2084, Defender and Smash TV, some of the most influential arcade games in the U.S. It's because of him that we have twin-stick shooting.
Oh, and he also worked on the Cruisin' games.

Yeah, him + Housemarque should produce something really incredible.

eFKac

Glad it's the Jarvis project and not Matterfall rebrand.

Hoping Matterfall will be a 2D sidescroller.

Nex Machina looks like a good cross between Resogun and Alienation though, interested in this.

Protome

Looks great but I was a little bummed when the gameplay artstyle looked nothing like the animated one. I want a game that looks like that.

StoveOven

Banned
Looks really good and I'm looking forward to seeing some extended gameplay, but for a dream collaboration like this I was hoping for something that didn't look so similar to Alienation at first glance.

drotahorror

Looks kind of what I had hoped Alienation would be. Alienation was pretty solid though. Resogun still one of my top 5 games on PS4.

I hope they fully embrace the synthwave train and ride it all game long.

Zetta

This game looks fun as hell but dear god that soundtrack is going to be godlike as always. I don't mind waiting on the game since next year its packed but they should release the ost asap lol.

Servbot24

Banned
Watching this trailer makes me feel like this is what a top-down MegaMan spin-off series should be, and it feels sooooo good

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Looking good! PS4 exclusive?

It is at minimum a timed exclusive, though it may be a full exclusive.

However, given Housemarque is self publishing it, I would probably guess timed.

Relevant quote: https://www.engadget.com/2016/12/03/nex-machina-housemarque-resogun-sequel-interview-preview/

Engadget said:
Self-publishing is, in some ways, liberating. Housemarque has more creative control over the game, when it's released and how it's marketed. But it's also perilous. The company has chosen to focus on technology and gameplay over marketing. Its core strategy is to make the best game it can, and hope that enough press, streamers and fans pick it up and enjoy it to help make it a hit.

Of course, there will be other efforts. It's partnered with a video team to produce a "making of" documentary in the vein of Indie Game: The Movie. It's signed a deal with Sony to make the game a PlayStation 4 exclusive, which assumedly comes with a financial reward, and the chance to showcase the game to a captive audience at PlayStation Experience. Nonetheless, the press team for Nex Machina is essentially a guy with a desk, and its marketing budget is pretty much paying that guy's wage. I've seen how one person can help make a game a success, but I've also seen that same person fail to persuade gamers to care about another.

Makes me feel sad for the robots. Kinda wished the game was about being a robot fighting humans, we don't have enough of those. Or any, tbh.

DAY 1.

That looked awesome. Maybe matterfall was scrapped and this is it now?

Matterfall is still happening. Their twitter says there may not be any news until 2017.

Nex Machina looks great. Interested to hear about the scoring mechanics.

I was a little disappointed in Alienation but because this new game focuses very much on bringing that old school competition feeling back, they have me on day 1.

I didn't realize this was playable at PSX, saw it and immediately stepped up to try it out

It really feels like Alienation, but with the speed/pace/game flow of Resogun. It also feels a lot like Assault Android Cactus, though based on early impressions I think I prefer Cactus

Dodging is a focus, very useful for clearing/finishing enemies and quickly grabbing humans. Honestly I'm not sure I loved the human aspect, it was a bit too chaotic but it's just an extra objective. You have a set number of lives and dying means you redo the section (including humans). If you don't die there's a no death bonus obviously.

It's very much Alienation in an arcade format. I prefer Alienation but I could see myself playing this more due to it being run based vs. a slower loot based shooter

Devs said no release date but definitely 2017. They aren't going to put it out if it isn't ready

Top Bottom