• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

eso76

Here's the video you've posted doubled up. Difference is still stark.

http://youtubedoubler.com/cveV

I've been saying that Pcars doesn't look AS good as someone makes it out to be outside of staged shots (or particular weather conditions) for a long loooong time, but Its development flow makes it hard to compare to other games:
Instead of finalizing the code and one small chunk of the content; packing it, showing it in a near final form and move to the next batch of cars and tracks to work on, everything we're seeing of pcars is WIP, everything is being upgraded constantly and the game is indeed looking better with every iteration,
It will be interesting to see how the final version turns out, particularly on PS4 at 60fps.

Both games are using some interesting "next gen" tech and i think they're both driving (duh) the genre forward in terms of graphics.

I think i'm liking the sense of scale better in that pcars video.
DC has great sense of scale, with those huge mountains covered in a million trees, it really does have breathtaking vistas, BUT something about FOV and the speed at which everything passes by seems a bit off; i guess they had to boost the sense of speed there, but i don't like it when my car zips by a 1000 mt tall mountain in 3 seconds, really breaks the immersion.
I think Pcars looks great here in regards to that, more accurate.

GHG

Last one for now:

HatefulSadAmurminnow.gif

Eh I know how reflection works and You exactly know that cubemaps are the most dominant ones in any image. SSR are rare, because they are proximity and angle dependent, specular is only from light [no it does not bounce light].
And PCars has SSR and speculars as well, so the comparison is only for cubemaps, again dominant reflection in a game.

this was hardly an answer, was it? SSR are not so rare in DC. they are on the interior materials in cockpitview..
CriminalUnsightlyFantail.gif

... as they are on the cars side, hood and back and rims....

iQIKybpMYPg3m.jpg

..and wherever. i'm not sure if i would call cubemaps still predominant with that in mind. especially considering the resources expense of both technics.
yeah specular reflection only work with light. read my post, i've said that. nevertheless this is how reflections work in real life. if you had a fully functioning lighting simulation where everything would emit light (direct and bounce), you wouldn't need anything else than specular for a perfect reflection simulation. so every step in this direction imo is worth mentioning.

i did not see you answering to this:

have you got a video material of PCs cubemaps under a comparable viewing point?

how about you show a bit more, than just claim?

GHG

Are you playing with a keyboard? :p very direct movements

360 Controller for now. Had to sell my g27 when I moved abroad towards the end of last year :( . I'm waiting until next gen wheel support is confirmed for the PS4/Xbone before deciding which wheel to buy.

Hoo-doo

Banned
PCars looks amazing. Especially in the rain when it goes from visually kind of sterile to one of the best looking games I have ever seen and played. No contest.

But to me personally, DriveClub sells it's graphics on the overall visual package.
Not just the car details, AA or texturework separately, but everything around it. The lighting and reflections, sense of speed, environments, ridiculous in-car and trackside details, little lighting quirks that make everything feel genuine, it all looks like it fits together so well. It completes the image and registers in my brain as "whoa".

Pcars has the best image quality and car models I know of. The highest detail textures. In screenshots, it's unmatched.
But when driving on a normal dry course during the day, it doesn't wow me like the driveclub footage. It's hard to pin-point exactly why that is.

fresquito

I don't get the pcars graphics fascination, to me it's just a regular sim like game that runs in super high res. I think if GT5 was just ported to pc and was down sampled also like crazy it would have identical results to pcars or even look better depending who has the better rendering technology. The only thing I find impressive about pcars is the image quality, what would be the difference between pcars and Assetto Corsa because they look the same to me.
Get a new pair of eyes. You clearly haven't played pCARS and AC if you think they look the same. And you clearly don't know what you're talking about when you compare GT5 to pCARS.

It's fascinating how people can be so ignorant. You're comparing games from different generations and saying the older game looks better than the newer, It's crazy.

p3tran

Banned
Sorry I'm not as good as the others in this thread when it comes to this. But why does it look like your headlights are much, much stronger than the ones on the other cars? Same goes for the shadows your headlights seem to be the only one to generate shadows.

yeah, well, this was pointed out to me by graphics horse in another dc thread (and i still owe him thanks, I just cant find the thread :D), but after reading his observation I am also quite sure that out of those 12 cars, that theoretically we should have at least 24 sources of light and shadow, ONLY the player's car projects light and casts shadows. the rest of the cars, they use what we have used to call "prebaked" or something for their light cone, they dont have the properties of light, where when you have two sources of light lighting the same spot, their common area is more brightly lit, and furthermore all the cars minus your car, do not seem to cast shadows either.

btw:
I really cant understand those people dismissing nfs rivals. are you guys for real?

Cygnus

Banned
360 Controller for now. Had to sell my g27 when I moved abroad towards the end of last year :( . I'm waiting until next gen wheel support is confirmed for the PS4/Xbone before deciding which wheel to buy.

Ah yes I am in the same boat, I'm sure they will improve gamepad usability for final release though, as it's coming to consoles.

Dilly

Banned
They are releasing one month apart, whatever arbitrary label the devs want to put on their game's state is not really that important when their release dates are so close.

Different stages of work in different stages of completion. I can see the milestone lists on their forum, so it is relevant.

And yeah, DriveClub's media output is fully controlled by the developer, while everything about pCARS is out in the open because of it's crowd-funding model. As a result the worst of pCARS is getting compared to the best of DriveClub. Not a fair fight.

Majanew

Banned
I need those window reflections in all racing games.

Driveclub has set the standard.

I'm not seeing much of reflections in that gif, just a dirty windshield. Forza 5's winshield reflections are still the best I've seen. The way it reflects the interior, steering wheel, and your hands when the sun hits. Good stuff.

fresquito

Different stages of work in different stages of completion. I can see the milestone lists on their forum, so it is relevant.

And yeah, DriveClub's media output is fully controlled by the developer, while everything about pCARS is out in the open because of it's crowd-funding model. As a result the worst of pCARS is getting compared to the best of DriveClub. Not a fair fight.
Indeed. I used to upload videos at medium settings a while ago. Whoever saw that could think it was the best the game could do.

Besides, most videos are from YT and have been heavily compressed when rendered. The game looks so much better than what most people think. Many people judge it by how gifts look, but I play my game 1080@60, I don't play gifts.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm not seeing much of reflections in that gif, just a dirty windshield. Forza 5's winshield reflections are still the best I've seen. The way it reflects the interior, steering wheel, and your hands when the sun hits. Good stuff.

Like this? Because it looks kind of ridiculous. There's no reflection at all.

iPCCKhkgOOpPC.gif

Edit: barely any reflections, I do see some dash upon second viewing.

Can you give some examples?

Korezo

Get a new pair of eyes. You clearly haven't played pCARS and AC if you think they look the same. And you clearly don't know what you're talking about when you compare GT5 to pCARS.

It's fascinating how people can be so ignorant. You're comparing games from different generations and saying the older game looks better than the newer, It's crazy.

I never said anything you just wrote.

RetroStu

Banned

Man this looks amazing, the graphics look really 3D if you know what i mean, the graphics look really 'deep' and real looking. The game looks almost like movie cgi rather than a videogame, the Project cars gifs look poor in comparson imo.

Zeth

It's a shame Assetto Corsa doesn't have PCars or DC visuals - it'd be the best driving/racing experience ever (it already is with regard to the driving model). Alas, this thread isn't about physics. Props to the guy who posted a bunch of AC screens on the first few pages. It's a shame it doesn't get more attention. Maybe Kunos consider doing something on PS4 down the road.

edit: AC does have the "dirty windshield" effect everyone is drooling over though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Er there is a clear reflection of the driver, how can you not see it?.

I'm more bothered by the godrays just flowing through the windshield with no reflection, refraction, diffusing, nothing. It does not look like there's even a window in there.

man the reflection simulation in DC is made out of three components:
- you have SS reflections of immediate surroundings (at least under the right viewing angle),
- specular reflections of actual light sources (which include nearby cars lights and maybe bounce light
i99BcyYvGV3yO.gif
)

- and cubemaps to imitate further surrounding reflections

and you really discredit his point with the example of one rough cubemapreflection under a kind of extreme (as in very near to the reflecting surface) camera position?
have you got a video material of PCs cubemaps under a comparable viewing point?

Every engine does that. That is how rasterizing light models work. Also, there is no bounce light from the head lamps. At all.

Or the "just a bit better quality than Youtube footage" as most people call it.

Don't know if anyone has any idea but what bit rate are Youtube 1080p videos and what bit rate were the Driveclub HQ videos ?. I felt like they were still quite a bit off what we would see on our own PS4's.

Theecliff

Banned
I'm pretty sure Driveclub does this as well, it's just not noticeable in some of the more recent footage.

Honey Bunny

I'm not seeing much of reflections in that gif, just a dirty windshield

You need glasses!

http://giant.gfycat.com/CriminalUnsightlyFantail.gif

Man this looks amazing, the graphics look really 3D if you know what i mean, the graphics look really 'deep' and real looking. The game looks almost like movie cgi rather than a videogame, the Project cars gifs look poor in comparson imo.

I know what you mean. Most racers very obviously have a thin strip of detailed environment around the track and the rest of it is 'filler' low detail stuff that you try not to look too closely at. DC doesn't have that.

RetroStu

Banned
I have noticed this before with Drive Club but its graphics style and 'look' remind me of the end train sequence in 'The lone Ranger' which was almost all cgi -

lone-ranger-o.gif

loneranger.jpg

Now Drive Club doesn't look as good obviously but it has the same look and feel, everything looks really 'solid' and real world. It really does look like a step up for racing games while Project Cars just looks like a videogame if that makes sense.

wapplew

This truly is the best marketing gif for Driveclub, just put sound on and cut to Driveclub logo in the end, drop the mic.

p3tran

Banned

iPCCKhkgOOpPC.gif

I'm more bothered by the godrays just flowing through the windshield with no reflection, refraction, diffusing, nothing. It does not look like there's even a window in there.

funny how you pick the same .gif (a image dithered down to 256 colours) to prove your point.
I mean, its not like you havent even seen a youtube video of forza 5, is it? here, let me help you with a video at the same exact spot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbBYy21YYhQ&feature=youtu.be&hd=1&t=1m41s

Gestault

If you haven't seen the driver/interior reflections on the the glass interior details in Forza 5, with respect, I don't think you've ever played the game.

Majanew

Banned
Looks great. But these reflections are present in literally every single driveclub gif out there. Not seeing what makes F5 stand out.

iRW2oDKOrO9Iz.gif

i9ZuY8i7Roht3.gif

Webm:

http://a.pomf.se/weziez.webm

Could be because FM5 is the first game I've seen it in or, that I don't see the reflection in DC other than parts of the dash. Which is great, but I haven't seen any steering wheels/hands/arms being reflected. Not saying it doesn't do it or that it can't... maybe it being more pronounced in FM5 just left me in awe when I play the game. Cockpit view is where FM5 looks next-gen most, to me.

KKRT00

this was hardly an answer, was it? SSR are not so rare in DC. they are on the interior materials in cockpitview..
... as they are on the cars side, hood and back and rims....

..and wherever. i'm not sure if i would call cubemaps still predominant with that in mind. especially considering the resources expense of both technics.
yeah specular reflection only work with light. read my post, i've said that. nevertheless this is how reflections work in real life. if you had a fully functioning lighting simulation where everything would emit light (direct and bounce), you wouldn't need anything else than specular for a perfect reflection simulation. so every step in this direction imo is worth mentioning.

i did not see you answering to this:

how about you show a bit more, than just claim?
OMG, its not about how many surfaces use SSR, because all of them are, its screenspace technique, but its about how many times its visible. Its not visible a lot, because it works only for close geometry at low angles from the surface.
Most of the time and for most surfaces You only see cubemaps.

And about PCars You have tons of good trailers on youtube and gamersyde. Its really not that hard to find.
Like this trailer which has even some scenes from PS4 build. There is high quality on gamersyde too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDIXSouz5LA&feature=player_detailpage#t=36

velociraptor

Here is my take on it

- PCars looks amazing during rain and dusk, average during daytime. IQ is superb. No jaggies, no jaggy shadows etc. Highly detailed cars.
- Driveclub appears to be more consistent. Very detailed environment. IQ is a bit poor.

Obviously it's more difficult to do an apples to apples comparison between these two games since we're showing screenshots based on different platforms. I think Driveclub would be the best looking racer if: they improve the AA and motion blur.

Sini

OMG, its not about how many surfaces use SSR, because all of them are, its screenspace technique, but its about how many times its visible. Its not visible a lot, because it works only for close geometry at low angles from the surface.
Most of the time and for most surfaces You only see cubemaps.
Much simpler explanation would be that it can't reflect what you can't see.

jett

D-Member
More fuel: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/05...arison-two-gorgeous-faces-of-the-racing-coin/
Examples:

Similar angles and almost similar lighting. Btw the first PC cockpit shot has a car with headlights behind it.

That's a good comparison. These two shots really highlight for me the difference between DC's lighting and what you see in other games:

If Bethesda were showing off an Elder Scrolls game or Rockstar was showing a Red Dead game with this lighting, people would be losing their minds.

Cygnus

Banned
A little birdie gave me a heads up about MotoGP 14 for PC/PS4. Some slow-motion replay footage can be found here , in particular if someone would be able/willing to put together some WebM clips.

http://i.minus.com/ibeRoPfLe8mzhn.gif[/IM][/QUOTE]

Looks pretty good, Milestones games have never exactly been graphical showcases though.

[quote="Remij, post: 113271175"]Durante used one of my pCARS shots, nice :)

A couple new 4K pCARS shots I just took (sorry for the size)[/QUOTE]

Is the game playable like this? it must be insane playing the game with that level of IQ

JLeack

Banned
Forza 5 KILLED IT for a launch title. Very impressive.

That said, Driveclub and Project Cars look considerably better. I'm particularly excited for Project Cars since it's more of a conventional racing sim.

saladine1

I think we've come to a time where all these games are just going look ridiculously good.
Of course, 30fps games are going to have that little edge over their 60fps counterparts but still, good days ahead.

I wonder what Horizon will look like or GT7 for that matter!?

Top Bottom