• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

bj00rn_

Banned
If Bethesda were showing off an Elder Scrolls game or Rockstar was showing a Red Dead game with this lighting, people would be losing their minds.

Are you saying Driveclub is an open world game?

Edit: Ah, it's not.. Oh well..

Oh, god, I just looked around this thread, recycling of gifs, the usernames and rhetoric..

CriminalUnsightlyFantail.gif

This truly is the best marketing gif for Driveclub, just put sound on and cut to Driveclub logo in the end, drop the mic.

Its crazy how Evolution who are new to real life car racing, have beaten the top dogs.

PD lets see what you've got.

fasTRapid

Banned
Woah. That GIF is extremely close to TV footage.
That's due to the heavy downsampling happening when GIFfing. The original footage doesn't look half as impressive. :/

GIFs are not an adequate way to show off or compare graphical fidelity, goddammit!

DP.

I did an awful comparison of F5, PCars and DriveCLub in an earlier thread. Bare in mind, two of the ProjectCars shots and 1 Forza 5 shot are direct feed captures and not captures from video like the rest, including all the DriveClub one's. So be warned, there's compression artefacts galore lol.

Forza top.
Project Cars middle.
DriveClub bottom.

---

image_forza_motorsport_5-23307-2721_0018.jpg

13908171700_5c153280d7_o.jpg

ScreenShot2014-05-16at115043.jpg~original

---

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ScreenShot2014-05-16at114904.jpg~original

---

recording_2014-03-08_flja6.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ScreenShot2014-05-16at114826.jpg~original

---

image_forza_motorsport_5-23307-2721_0014.jpg

mediumish249j00.jpg

ScreenShot2014-05-16at114525.jpg~original

Wow, Drive Club looks to have been given a serious visual boost since the delay. Played it at a pre PS4 launch event last year and it looked nowhere near that good. Looking pretty amazing now though!

Its crazy how Evolution who are new to real life car racing, have beaten the top dogs.
If you put it like that, it's like you're suggesting that Evo were able to achieve what other studios could not, due to talent or hard work or something. There's no doubt that they are a talented, hard-working bunch, but the reason why they have created a game that looks like this is down to priorities. You can be sure that if the 'top dogs' were given a clean slate and a design brief to create a semi-realistic driving game with a focus on being a visual showcase for a new console and allowed to drop to 30fps, they'd all be able to create similarly-impressive games.

theWB27

If you put it like that, it's like you're suggesting that Evo were able to achieve what other studios could not, due to talent or hard work or something. There's no doubt that they are a talented, hard-working bunch, but the reason why they have created a game that looks like this is down to priorities. You can be sure that if the 'top dogs' were given a clean slate and a design brief to create a semi-realistic driving game with a focus on being a visual showcase for a new console and allowed to drop to 30fps, they'd all be able to create similarly-impressive games.

Pretty much....I think Turn10, PolyphonyD, Slightly Mad could do serious stuff considering there's even a debate about which looks better when all three are pushing simulation physics, 60fps, mechanical damage.

Gestault

Pretty much....I think Turn10, PolyphonyD, Slightly Mad could do serious stuff considering there's even a debate about which looks better when all three are pushing simulation physics, 60fps, mechanical damage.

This may feel out-of-place in a graphics thread, but simply the man-hours dedicated to modelling the number of cars and reproducing tracks for the simlulation titles gets a nod from me. (That's not to say Driveclub hasn't exceeded expectations in almost every other area we've seen.)

cgcg

Eh no. A lot of how Drive Club looks due to getting the lighting and color right. That has more to do with art talent than tech. At least with Forza games, every single entry got lighting wrong. That's why it's always one of the least impressive looking racing games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have noticed this before with Drive Club but its graphics style and 'look' remind me of the end train sequence in 'The lone Ranger' which was almost all cgi -

CriminalUnsightlyFantail.gif

lone-ranger-o.gif

loneranger.jpg

Now Drive Club doesn't look as good obviously but it has the same look and feel, everything looks really 'solid' and real world. It really does look like a step up for racing games while Project Cars just looks like a videogame if that makes sense.

I'm not sure I get your Lone Ranger comparison, but I agree with your general point. PCars seems to be taking 'standard' racing game tech but at a very high level - the graphics are similar to what you'd see in forza or GT photo idea for instance. But Dc appears to be using a different approach - perhaps one more often used with other kinds of games - eg killzone or infamous - and IMO it is reaping dividends.

I also hope that it encourages other racing game developers to look again at the techniques they are using for rendering- maybe it can shake things up a bit for racing games?

Nafai1123

Banned
I like how people talk about graphics, binding them to the things their game does best, ignoring all the rest. So enviroments look prettier in one game? That game has the best graphics, ignore everything else.

What about resolution? What about framerate? what about AA? what about texture detail? Nah, enviroments are better, thus the game has better graphics. Why? Just because.

And BTW, DC doesn't have more advanced lighting than pCARS. It's better toned now, but the tech isn't better. pCARS is still tweaking the lighting, not the tech, but the tones. It's what gives a life-like image. For reference, check the AI lights in DC, tell me they work real time, like the player's do. Do they? No, they don't. Many of the effects are baked, it's easy to see. Is it the same for pCARS. No, in pCARS every light for every car works the same, be it AI or not. So, please, stop claiming the lighting in DC is far better, when it is not. You could perfectly tell: it looks more real, that's ok. But the tech is not better.

If DC wasn't exclusive, all the people supporting it wouldn't be so adamant about it. You want to defend your 400€ machine and believe that it sports a better looking game than one that requires a 1000€ machine to play with ultra options 1080@60? Ok, go with it, but keep in mind you're being silly.

All of those things have been discussed in this thread, so I'm not sure why you're complaining.

I will refer to my post earlier in the thread to debate your claim that the lighting is not more advanced in DC.

I did some research and I think I know why Driveclubs lighting looks better than PCars despite both of them having time of day.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...alileo-engine/

Image-based lighting is key to pCARS’ often photorealistic looks, a dynamically convolved cubemap driving its ambient lighting to avoid the flat, CG-like surfaces of mere mortal car games.

Ambient lighting is an approximation and is not a true form of global illumination. It is, however, significantly less intensive than true global illumination.

IBL is a capture of lighting conditions to simulate the lighting of objects in the world. It is an algorithm used in global illumination, but it is not what defines global illumination.

If Driveclub is using "true" global illumination, it must be using diffuse inter-reflection, which ambient lighting attempts to approximate.

There are many things that PCars is doing dynamically (that article talks about some crazy fucking sound dynamics involving wind/temperature/altitude) but in regards to the lighting, Driveclub is by all technical means a step above PCars and it shows.

fresquito

All of those things have been discussed in this thread, so I'm not sure why you're complaining.

I will refer to my post earlier in the thread to debate your claim that the lighting is not more advanced in DC.
And I'll say it again, light sources for headlights are baked for all the cars but the player's in DC. The point here is that people ignore whatever they want an claim some game has more advanced tech, just because one aspect is better.

There's a LOT going on in pCARS that people like to ignore. Things that condition the visuals in a big way. For istance, DC has no problem defining the ligthning. It's true there's a day-night cycle, but is there a season cycle, a year cycle? In pCARS there is. There're six different type of climates too, each one with its own tones and special visuals. Defining and fine tuning the lightining for all of them is much harder than defining one sky with one day-night cycle. The fine tuning comes last, but people jump to conclusions without taking into account all these aspects. Add dynamic weather and we're ready about ambient lighting.

The tech in pCARS is far more complex than most people are willing to understand. pCARS is a true sim, DC is an arcade racer.

Edit: BTW, that article is so old that it talks about the Galileo engine, when it's been months since it got a name change. Now it's called Madness.

Nafai1123

Banned
And I'll say it again, light sources for headlights are baked for all the cars but the player's in DC. The point here is that people ignore whatever they want an claim some game has more advanced tech, just because one aspect is better.

There's a LOT going on in pCARS that people like to ignore. Things that condition the visuals in a big way. For istance, DC has no problem defining the ligthning. It's true there's a day-night cycle, but is there a season cycle, a year cycle? In pCARS there is. There're six different type of climates too, each one with its own tones and special visuals. Defining and fine tuning the lightining for all of them is much harder than defining one sky with one day-night cycle. The fine tuning comes last, but people jump to conclusions without taking into account all these aspects. Add dynamic weather and we're ready about ambient lighting.

The tech in pCARS is far more complex than most people are willing to understand. pCARS is a true sim, DC is an arcade racer.

Edit: BTW, that article is so old that it talks about the Galileo engine, when it's been months since it got a name change. Now it's called Madness.

I'm not discounting the tech in PCars, nor am I claiming that DC does everything better. I am merely commenting on why I believe many (myself included) think that Driveclub is a more impressive and "realistic" looking game and I think a lot of that comes down to what I mentioned in my quote.

Feindflug

Which of the top dogs for "real life car racing" are making 30fps games?

Some people have a hard time realizing how demanding 60fps titles are, everyone has become an expert on resolutions and can tell you how many more pixels a 1080p title can push when compared to a 900p title but everyone seems to ignore how much more demanding 60hz were/are like last gen where almost every 60fps title had being heavily criticized for running at sub-HD but even if they weren't sub-720p they were dismissed from any "best looking game" thread due to simple geometry/lower res textures e.t.c.

So yeah it's not hard to see why the vast majority of the devs/publishers don't give a crap about 60fps, all people care about is eye candy and if this is the case also in an enthusiast forum like gaf then you can imagine how the average joe will not give a crap about 60hz. So the question here is why push for 60fps if you can get away with it with 30fps?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What do you mean by 'light sources for headlights are baked'? The headlights of other cars still light each other, they just don't cast shadows.

Still seems like more than most racing games do - don't most just have your own headlights?

Gestault

That's due to the heavy downsampling happening when GIFfing. The original footage doesn't look half as impressive. :/

GIFs are not an adequate way to show off or compare graphical fidelity, goddammit!

I do notice that you bring up the way gifs can artificially give a better impression of a game for times various titles get praise from people, but I've never seen you do so for the same reactions to Driveclub gifs, even within the same thread. Is that an unfair observation?

I can't claim I have some encyclopedic knowledge of your interactions, but from other threads where I would throw up beautiful Driveclub gifs, others would say how excellent it looks, but you'd never say a word to downplay their enthusiasm (even when you were in the thread for the discussion). I see you doing it quite a bit here and elsewhere for anything except for Driveclub. In fact, here's a post of your where you specifically gawk at how good Driveclub looks in gifs. It's just my observation that your downplay of the quality of gifs (which is fundamentally correct) seems a little selective.

dr guildo

Could be because FM5 is the first game I've seen it in or, that I don't see the reflection in DC other than parts of the dash. Which is great, but I haven't seen any steering wheels/hands/arms being reflected. Not saying it doesn't do it or that it can't... maybe it being more pronounced in FM5 just left me in awe when I play the game. Cockpit view is where FM5 looks next-gen most, to me.

The problem is the following : Due to the incline of the glass, technically and physically, the light beams cannot reflect the driver. It works the same way a mirror does. Just make the test at your home, take a mirror and slant it at the same incidence as a windshield, and see by yourself if you manage to see your face on it...
The FM5 windshield reflection is maybe more nextgen, but it is definitely not realistic if we refer to the physical laws.

Er there is a clear reflection of the driver, how can you not see it?.

In real life, you can't see your own reflection in a windshield unless the windshield is almost completely vertical like a car from the 20's-50's (some 60's). Cars from the 70's-now all have (AFAIK) tilted windshields. Tilted windshields tend to only reflect the top of the dashboard.

720259d1365971772-dash-windshield-reflections-beige-psa-photo.jpg

And this is the Porsche Cayenne. Telling you guys this in case anybody's ever thinking about buying one, people find this particular car's windshield reflections to be quite an annoyance.

He is talking about the hands/wheel being reflected in real-time. This is not present in Driveclub

ijeCgLthwFHoz.gif

Same point I made above. Windshield reflections tend to only show the top of the dashboard, though that looks like the Ferrari 250 GT which has a fairly vertical windshield compared to modern cars, so it's possible that that's accurate. Not sure if it is since I've never driven in one... And probably won't in this lifetime :(

Edit: beaten by dr guildo while I was searching for a picture, lol.

Alex

Drive Club looks the best based on the footage I've seen but it being 30 FPS really sucks.

It's not really able to relate, but Mario Kart looks quite nice too. 720p with no AA is going to be pretty rough on my TV, though.

Gestault

It's down to the angle of the windshield and distance from the dash for whether the wheel and driver's hands should show up. For example, my Cobalt has enough distance that you'd never see the wheel unless you sat in a weird, upward-looking position. The gif of the old Ferrari looks about right, but I imagine some others may have their placement in the reflection exaggerated to look more compelling.

Sini

And I'll say it again, light sources for headlights are baked for all the cars but the player's in DC.
Ohoho lol, do you even know what baking lighting means? I saw same dumb comments in Watch Dogs thread when people found out how bad it looked during bright day.

Baking lighting means baking light information into lightmaps during lighting build. Lightmaps are used for completely static lights in games that aren't very dynamic. Are cars static? I don't think so.

Reflecting movements in real-time? Because thats the subject of discussion. So far Driveclub windshield reflections has been static.

The guy said DC has it, and its incorrect.

Test it out yourself. Next time you get in a car, look at the windshield reflections, you most likely won't see your own reflection, the reflection of the steering wheel, or your hands on the steering wheel. What you will see is the top of the dashboard, atleast that's how it is with every modern car with a slanted windshield.

Only cars with vertical windshields like those from the 20s-60s can show your reflection/wheel/hands, atleast that's what I'm guessing. I don't know for sure since I've never been in a car from those generations but that's the only logical way that you can see your reflection/etc. That GIF of the Ferrari 250 GT looks to be accurate since the car has a fairly vertical windshield.

Test it out yourself. Next time you get in a car, look at the windshield reflections, you most likely won't see your own reflection, the reflection of the steering wheel, or your hands on the steering wheel. What you will see is the top of the dashboard, atleast that's how it is with every modern car with a slanted windshield.

Only cars with vertical windshields like those from the 20s-60s can show your reflection/wheel/hands, atleast that's what I'm guessing. I don't know for sure since I've never been in a car from those generations but that's the only logical way that you can see your reflection/etc. That GIF of the Ferrari 250 GT looks to be accurate since the car has a fairly vertical windshield.

How can this even be an discussion, there are automobile safety regulations. Seeing your own reflection while driving is not recommendable.

fresquito

Ohoho lol, do you even know what baking lighting means? I saw same dumb comments in Watch Dogs thread when people found out how bad it looked during bright day.

Baking lighting means baking light information into lightmaps during lighting build. Lightmaps are used for completely static lights in games that aren't very dynamic. Are cars static? I don't think so.
You know extacly what I mean, why you discuss? Baked, faked, whatever the term you want to use, they don't work the same as the player's.

Sini

You know extacly what I mean, why you discuss? Baked, faked, whatever the term you want to use, they don't work the same as the player's.
Thing is, those lights aren't baked or faked at all. They are dynamic lights just without dynamic shadows turned on. You can just say that from now on if you actually thought the same I'm thinking.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Reflecting movements in real-time? Because thats the subject of discussion. So far Driveclub windshield reflections has been static like other games.

The guy said DC has it, and its incorrect.

What are you talking about. Driveclub reflects the exact same way based on the stuf we've seen.

But because the cars shown have very steeply angled windshields, (they are supercars for a reason) it's physically impossible to reflect the wheel and hands from the cockpit view.

Show me Driveclub footage where the reflection should have been visible but it isn't.

fresquito

Thing is, those lights aren't baked or faked at all. They are dynamic lights just without dynamic shadows turned on. You can just say that from now on if you actually thought the same I'm thinking.
The thing is, that's not true. It's pretty clear that they don't iluminate the same way the player does. And yeah, they don't project shadows eiher. So, how can you people still say it's the best lighting engine?

dr guildo

Just because a light doesn't cast a shadow per object, that doesn't make it a baked one, it's still a dynamic light.
Baked lighting is what you can see in a game like Rage for instance, if you were able to shoot the static light sources, the environnement would remain lit even without them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The thing is, that's not true. It's pretty clear that they don't iluminate the same way the player does. And yeah, they don't project shadows eiher. So, how can you people still say it's the best lighting engine?

From the videos I've seen they do illuminate like the players car. They just don't cast shadows.

The fact that other cars headlights light reach other up is already something I've not seen before. Then add in the environmental lighting and the intra-car reflections and it is clearly a pretty special engine

As much as I'm looking forward to PCars on PS4 to get my console sim fix, the reflections in this shot are soooooo off.

The fuck is the Mitsu even reflecting lolol not to mention the painfully obvious broken reflection on the driver's car windshield, wut.

Driveclub is in its own league regarding especially lighting and reflections. The windshield reflections in Forza are also so off it's amazing, I can't believe they barely change at all depending on the lighting conditions the car is in and T10 thought that looked good.

fresquito

From the videos I've seen they do illuminate like the players car. They just don't cast shadows.

The fact that other cars headlights light reach other up is already something I've not seen before. Then add in the environmental lighting and the intra-car reflections and it is clearly a pretty special engine
i99BcyYvGV3yO.gif

They do? Check the signs, check the flags in the left. Now tell me they're lighten by other cars. They don't. It's the same effect (or a more advanced one) MGS has been using for the guards for a long time. This is not dynamic lighting. And nobody is denying DC looks fantastic in many aspects. But the lighting engine is not the most complete or the best out there. The colors are perfectly toned though.

As much as I'm looking forward to PCars on PS4 to get my console sim fix, the reflections in this shot are soooooo off.

The fuck is the Mitsu even reflecting lolol not to mention the painfully obvious broken reflection on the driver's car windshield, wut.

Driveclub is in its own league regarding especially lighting and reflections. The windshield reflections in Forza are also so off it's amazing, I can't believe they barely change at all depending on the lighting conditions the car is in and T10 thought that looked good.

Let's talk about DriveClubs static image 'reflections' in the rear view mirrors

http://youtu.be/ny3JYGXCmFg?t=57s

(At 58sec)

A little birdie gave me a heads up about MotoGP 14 for PC/PS4. Some slow-motion replay footage can be found here , in particular if someone would be able/willing to put together some WebM clips.

ibeRoPfLe8mzhn.gif

Replay mode WebMs. Looks real. Damn.

Unfortunately actual gameplay graphics seem less than stellar...

Rockyrock

Forza 5 is a true launch title.

Pretty hard to compare it when you're comparing it to stuff with over half a year more polish time.

Top Bottom