• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

dr guildo

I think this is the kind of effect we could expect from GTsport rain patch :
n2kc466uu0j.gif

The reflections tech is already built in the game as shown by Dumb previous pages ago... and it is on par with what we can witness in this gif.

On PC, at max settings, F7 takes the cake by a wide margin. This is the best looking racer, period.

Most of these are gameplay shots

IQ wise sure, it would be considering its on a high end PC at 4K.

Graphics wise, it still looks very unrealistic and on XB1, without the high IQ that becomes even more apparent.

dr guildo

On PC, at max settings, F7 takes the cake by a wide margin. This is the best looking racer, period.

Most of these are gameplay shots
[...]

The game is beautiful indeed...
But I suggest you to visit the few previous pages of this thread to see where is the magic in GTS graphical showcase.

dr guildo

IQ wise sure, it would be considering its on a high end PC at 4K.

Graphics wise, it still looks very unrealistic and on XB1, without the high IQ that becomes even more apparent.

i agree, Pcars2 alone is way more photorealistic @almost any weather conditions than F7 overcast context.
Last night I was amazed by how the game could keep a photorealistic approach even by sunny day condition.

bombshell

dark10x from Digital Foundry is working on a Forza 7 vs GT Sport video, should be a fun thread :)

Here's his first impressions on how the track side details compare.

This is an unfair comment to make. The video isn’t what it is due to HDR - it required so much effort to make that I couldn’t dig in as deeply.

That said, I disagree with your assessment now after spending the morning comparing the two.

Forza and GT both use 2D trees but the tree textures are more detailed and better lit in GT. Forza just slaps two flat surfaces together but it’s still ultimately 2D in nature.

GT also uses a fully modeled 3D crowd on all tracks aside from the giant stadiums. Forza’s crowd is entirely 2D.

GT has more details than I expected when looking closely.

Again, this first video was limited because of the HDR production time. It was a nightmare.

I'm working on a more detailed video putting Forza 7 and GTS side by side and I think you're going to be genuinely shocked by the results. I honestly expected Forza 7 to crush GT in terms of track side detail but it's absolutely not the case.

I can see why, though. Forza has a lower contrast look even in HDR and its flaws don't stick out as much while racing, which is a very important thing, but if you look closely at individual assets, you can see that Polyphony put in the work. The tracks ARE detailed.

Noobcraft

dark10x from Digital Foundry is working on a Forza 7 vs GT Sport video, should be a fun thread :)

Forzas crowd is not "entirely 2D" like he says. There are 3D spectators speckled around tracks, just like there have been in previous Forzas this gen.

dr guildo

This is exactly what I thought, when I began to compare the trackside and tiny details in both games.
I was surprised by how good the pipes making grids standing looked, so detailed...

onQ123

I think I notice Forza 7 use 2D trees but the tree textures are more detailed and better lit in GT. Forza just slaps two flat surfaces together but it's still ultimately 2D in nature.

GT also uses a fully modeled 3D crowd on all tracks aside from the giant stadiums. Forza's crowd is entirely 2D.

if you look closely at individual assets, you can see that Polyphony put in the work. The tracks ARE detailed. ):

bombshell

I think I noticed Forza 7 use 2D trees but the tree textures are more detailed and better lit in GT. Forza just slaps two flat surfaces together but it’s still ultimately 2D in nature.

GT also uses a fully modeled 3D crowd on all tracks aside from the giant stadiums. Forza’s crowd is entirely 2D.

if you look closely at individual assets, you can see that Polyphony put in the work. The tracks ARE detailed. ):

I see what you did there lol

carsar

Forza and GT both use 2D trees but the tree textures are more detailed and better lit in GT.
I hope he will mention extremely low resolution of reflections in GTS, extremely bad trees' LoDs, blurry 4k visual compared to sharp 4k visual of FM7, baked cocpits and other ugly things of both games. Trees look very odd in GTS and trees' sefshadowing works not so accurate(look at the shadow line on the tree. It is a straight line) I can't ignore it while playing. The time was not yet ripe for 3D trees, imho.
4qgR1jG.jpg

Jamesways

Old enough to know I'd rather have a racing game include dynamic weather and TOD than fancy pit stop animations. Is there a problem with saying that?
I haven't played Forza yet. Can you choose the time and weather, say 4am at LeMans to watch the sunrise and have rain drift through midmorning like you can in pCARS?

carsar

Reflections look poor in both games. It’s a fair trade off considering the locked frame rates.
FM reflections are rendered in very high resolutin, I guess it is 4K.
Wk7dgJt.jpg

GTS reflecions look like 480p or something. It is very visible on 4K screen so you can see every huge pixel-square of reflection
ov6KyQe.jpg

I haven't played Forza yet. Can you choose the time and weather, say 4am at LeMans to watch the sunrise and have rain drift through midmorning like you can in pCARS?

Perhaps not specifically. However, you can experience a much bigger variation in weather and lighting during a race in Forza 7 than Gran Turismo atm.

Great thing about pCARS 2 is that you can have both.. thus not needing to choose. ;)

jett

D-Member
Honestly when these games are presented at "their best" (instead of nitpicking here and there), they more or less look the same to me.

But but but the sound?

.....Nope

But but but the trees?

.....Nope

But but but the reflections?

Never change Forza fans, never change. You'll win in the end, possibly, maybe.

Ehker

FM reflections are rendered in very high resolutin, I guess it is 4K.
Wk7dgJt.jpg

GTS reflecions look like 480p or something. It is very visible on 4K screen so you can see every huge pixel-square of reflection
ov6KyQe.jpg
I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Just taking a photo from the same set you grabbed that hood reflection, it isn't nearly as sharp outside the car in Forza 7 either:
nIgfYWU.jpg

In hood view doesn't the game just take the scene exactly as rendered and use that as the reflection on the hood? That's why they used to have actual UI elements like gamertags visible on the hood reflection, until they figured out a way to avoid that.

When in an outside view you don't get such sharpness because they can't just take the scene as it's rendered, they now have to show a reflection from the angle of the car's position.

onQ123

So people complained about 2D trees in GTS but didn't notice these fake 3D buildings in Forza 7? looking at what's going on with them buildings posted a few minutes ago is irritating the hell out of me.

CrayToes

But but but the sound?

.....Nope

But but but the trees?

.....Nope

While I agree GTS has outdone Forza in most key areas, sound still isn't one of them. It’s better than before but still amongst the worst in the genre.

carsar

Lets cherrypick the worst Screenshots to prove a point.
These screenshots can help to know reflection resolution of GTS,no more, no less.
Do not find fanboyism in objective things. Better find more appropriate shots to find out reflection res.

carsar

I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Just taking a photo from the same set you grabbed that hood reflection, it isn't nearly as sharp outside the car in Forza 7 either:
Yes, You are right. However it still looks better tnan GTS reflections
83RxnyH.jpg

Landscape :
[ig]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4492/36959286344_6f12e00bdf_o.png[/img]

Tarmac texture :
[ig]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4504/23816581948_9c6f95def2_o.png[/img]

Skybox :
[ig]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4473/23816577988_806cf237bb_o.png[/img]

Water reflections :
[ig]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4482/23816576828_7c77fdf1b2_o.png[/img]

3D spectators :
[ig]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4511/37620523276_e20c93c071_o.png[/img]

Bonux :
[ig]https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4444/36998129773_b654ced00f_o.png[/img]

More to come...

Did I miss a Bathurst Sport Mode race, or is that from one of the rolling demos?

Space_nut

Looks like the same 2D Trees/Leaves/(and some grass) tricks from DC. Bit more 2D though. Those reflections are really rough.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Just a very, very vague kinda looks like the environment low-res reflection. At 1080p quality it's very bad.

Yup reflections aren't high res

And gts uses prebaked shadows as the tree turns the shadow on the ground doesn't change ;)

Gaenor

Banned
But but but the sound?

.....Nope

But but but the trees?

.....Nope

Lost on cars.
Lost on tracks.
Lost on lighting and look of realism.

What else is there to win on lol

While it’s easy to see which person prefers which game/console by the way they post in this thread, the way you two post is 11/10 in the console war scale.

I find it kind of sad that some will choose to hate and downplay a game at every turn because it’s not on their console of choice, like they have to prove something and make themselves feel better. I’ll be able to play, enjoy and appreciate the graphical goodness of both games on the Pro and on the X, and for that I guess I should be happy.

DD

Is it just me or is the 3D coordination of the buildings off? what's going on here?

So people complained about 2D trees in GTS but didn't notice these fake 3D buildings in Forza 7? looking at what's going on with them buildings posted a few minutes ago is irritating the hell out of me.

You're seeing the high FOV distortion. In other words, this is actually something that Forza does better than GT, which is offering a field of view that allows you to see more of the surroundings. The problem is that in 3D graphics, the distortion becomes more prominent with a higher FOV, unless you simulate a lens distortion effect, which most games don't do.

Top Bottom