• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Could be chromatic aberration.

No Chromatic Aberation is this. https://digital-photography-school.com/chromatic-aberration-what-is-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/

----

I've just fired up the game on the same track and had a look round. This is not a 3d building issue. It's just the way camera lenses and focal lengths work.

With the default cockpit view the FOV is quite wide and there's some distortion around the edges of the screen as you'd get using a camera this wide.

Using the photo mode it's really easy to see this is the standard issue (and difficulty for us photographers) using wide angle lenses. If you don't get the camera level you get all kinds of crazy distortions.

On a regular race track you're not going to notice this much. But surrounded by buildings it becomes really obvious. Set the focal length to wide and pitch the camera up and down, you get distortions. One way the buildings lean forwards, the other way they lean back.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...rspective-distortion-photographic-composition
https://digital-photography-school....ive-distortion-and-correction-in-photography/

TBiddy

While it’s easy to see which person prefers which game/console by the way they post in this thread, the way you two post is 11/10 in the console war scale.

I find it kind of sad that some will choose to hate and downplay a game at every turn because it’s not on their console of choice, like they have to prove something and make themselves feel better. I’ll be able to play, enjoy and appreciate the graphical goodness of both games on the Pro and on the X, and for that I guess I should be happy.

The good thing about extreme posts like those are that it's obvious that noone needs to take them seriously.

onQ123

You are still crazy, because it's a FoV problem, not 2D, fake 3D or 3D problem :p

No Chromatic Aberation is this. https://digital-photography-school.com/chromatic-aberration-what-is-it-and-how-to-avoid-it/

----

I've just fired up the game on the same track and had a look round. This is not a 3d building issue. It's just the way camera lenses and focal lengths work.

With the default cockpit view the FOV is quite wide and there's some distortion around the edges of the screen as you'd get using a camera this wide.

Using the photo mode it's really easy to see this is the standard issue (and difficulty for us photographers) using wide angle lenses. If you don't get the camera level you get all kinds of crazy distortions.

On a regular race track you're not going to notice this much. But surrounded by buildings it becomes really obvious. Set the focal length to wide and pitch the camera up and down, you get distortions. One way the buildings lean forwards, the other way they lean back.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...rspective-distortion-photographic-composition
https://digital-photography-school....ive-distortion-and-correction-in-photography/

I'm not just talking about the way they are leaning , the windows don't really match up with the direction that the buildings line up either.

I'm not just talking about the way they are leaning , the windows don't really match up with the direction that the buildings line up either.

the windows line up to the distortion of the fov which increases the closer to the edge of the screen you get, looks exactly as it should.

onQ123

the windows line up to the distortion of the fov which increases the closer to the edge of the screen you get, looks exactly as it should.
If this look as it should I would hate to see the world through your eyes
PU44A59.png

There should be a rule against shaming of games. You people destroy the magic these games do. Shame on you. Shame.
While I agree to an extent, this is a graphics thread. People will find the worst in the game don’t prefer and minimize the criticism of the game that they prefer. This is what it is.

If this look as it should I would hate to see the world through your eyes
PU44A59.png

Its basically the same as if the game is using a fishbowl perspective, not sure what is so hard to understand. the further out from the center you get, the greater the distortion. its not a question of if I think it looks good, just a matter of the perspective they have chosen to use.

5-point-perspective-grid-fish-eye.jpg

No it's not it would be some curving in the buildings & windows & effect more than just the building
ever consider they have the effect just for the buildings and select geometry from a certain point in the screen? you were saying the windows looked wrong, myself and others have shown you how this can happen with certain perspective choices. it has properties of the fishbowl perspective, didn't say it actually used it wholesale.

No it's not it would be some curving in the buildings & windows & affect more than just the building

Nope. Wide FOV in a game does have more distortion as you approach the edges, but with no curving unless the game specifically aims to do so. Here's an extreme example, yet it's consistent with what's going on in the Forza shots.

I do wonder though why you always seem to ask "wow this is weird what's causing this effect?", then when people respond with an explanation you're always like "no, it's not that, you're wrong"

onQ123

ever consider they have the effect just for the buildings and select geometry from a certain point in the screen? you were saying the windows looked wrong, myself and others have shown you how this can happen with certain perspective choices, not sure what your point is anymore.

I'm not being awkward I know this is not right & I'm sorry if that bothers you for some reason.

I use cameras with interchangeable lenses all the time I know about FoV distortion & that's not the only problem here.

onQ123

Nope. Wide FOV in a game does have more distortion as you approach the edges, but with no curving unless the game specifically aims to do so. Here's an extreme example, yet it's consistent with what's going on in the Forza shots.

I do wonder though why you always seem to ask "wow this is weird what's causing this effect?", then when people respond with an explanation you're always like "no, it's not that, you're wrong"

Yeah right but I can see that you're upset & starting to make things up.

No it's not it would be some curving in the buildings & windows & affect more than just the building

No there wouldn't be curving using a rectilinear wide angle lens. Which is the kind of perspective the game simulates.

You would get curving with a fish eye wide angle.

That's definitely an FOV problem. I dont understand the argument.

Why would Turn 10 make skewed buildings? Do you guys understand that it's so easy to spot that problem that it wont happen?

Why would Turn 10 make skewed buildings? Do you guys understand that it's so easy to spot that problem that it wont happen?

Some people really really hate Forza. They'll be claiming it was born in Kenya next.

There's an interesting discussion to be had on differing priorities and techniques in modern racing games. Some people don't seem capable of having that.

I've got PCars 2, Forza 7 and the GTS demo. There's plenty of interest in discussing how they approach things, their differing priorities and techniques. But some folks just really hate the products of a rival corporation that they don't even have shares in.

That's definitely an FOV problem. I dont understand the argument.

People would rather believe that a game developer can't model buildings properly than accept that they're wrong.

I was responding to him saying that they could be using a fishbowl prospective

i didn't say they were using a fishbowl perspective wholesale, just used that as an example to show how the point of perspective can become more exaggerated the further toward the edge of the screen you get.

I'm wrong because I can see that it's something wrong with them buildings? lol ok they are perfectly fine

You're conveniently ignoring the example I posted of FOV distorting things exactly like how Forza does it. Scroll up.

Forza Motorsport 7 vs Gran Turismo Sport - Mazda MX-5 at Brands Hatch Indy (Cloud Weather)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIDXBpG1uJY

Damn, the difference in sound even on street cars is huge. I said the same on the video, but does GTS' version of the car have its roof up?

Septic360

Banned
lol.

The rally stuff isn't terribly good, but these types of comments are becoming absurd.

Here's a take: they both look pretty good and have different strengths and weaknesses!

Mate I played the demo and I don't remember it being as bad as that video. Pretty sure it's probably the rally stuff as you say. But I legit had to check wtf was going on there.

Mate I played the demo and I don't remember it being as bad as that video. Pretty sure it's probably the rally stuff as you say. But I legit had to check wtf was going on there.

That's because it wasn't/isn't. You should know that, and thus, I still don't understand your baity comment.

onQ123

Honestly, even if you are just trolling you're just making it bad for some of us who are trying to have a decent debate about the games in this thread.

So I'm making it bad for people to have a decent debate by pointing out a graphical problem in a racing game in the 'Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off' thread?

Top Bottom