• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Yeah but that gameplay video.

We're all here focusing on the most minor detail like the windows of some buildings in the background, which 2d trees are worse and whether or not things are 3d (!!) but then you come across a video like this and think wtf:

https://youtu.be/BSLaJBnWZnk

Serious query: if you played it and you know it doesn't look that bad, then do you think PD downgraded the graphics in the full release?

If no, why not question the video?

If yes, then...this is beyond lost.

deoee

F7 Nürburgring

p4Nv8bD.gif

The thing is - you absolutely don't see this during normal gameplay.

There have to be trade-offs to enable todays lighting on shit console hardware :-/

Septic360

Banned
Serious query: if you played it and you know it doesn't look that bad, then do you think PD downgraded the graphics in the full release?

If no, why not question the video?

If yes, then...this is beyond lost.

Mate it's not rocket science. I'm not saying the game got downgraded. But LOOK AT THE VIDEO. It looks shit No? That's all I was alluding to.

That looks crap. So you please explain it to me why it does.

Jamesways

This is embarassing.
You mean amazing...

This thread always delivers.

Reminds me of my kids. Mine is better! No mine!
Then the pushing, then the screaming, then the timeouts.

All three big games look pretty incredible to me, a far cry from "terrible" or "last gen".
Graphivs have come so far the past few years, it's unreal.
Yeah, old man yells at cloud, I know.

But hey, keep putting down those games and planting that brand flag. It's great fun to read.

Sebmugi

yes I know that in game we do not see that .. and fortunately .. but there are similar gifs on GT sport so I try the same thing on F7 and the result is about the same .. ;)
and it would be the same on PC2 surely

Septic360

Banned
You yourself said you played the demo and it didn't look that bad.

I never did the rally stuff. I played very briefly. Wasn't overly impressed with the visuals at all. I even commented on that earlier.

But once again, does the video distort the quality of GT Sport in those settings? If we had the same setup of that track and car etc, the actual visuals would be vastly better than whats depicted in the video?

I never did the rally stuff.

Once again, does the video distort the quality of GT Sport in those settings? If we had the same setup of that track and car etc, the actual visuals would be vastly better than whats depicted in the video?

It looks a bit compressed. It doesn't look "last gen"--even in that video.

bombshell

New hot topic for the next three pages: trees.
Suggestion for what's next after that: crowd.

So are the topics where Forza doesn't look good forbidden or something?

I never did the rally stuff. I played very briefly. Wasn't overly impressed with the visuals at all. I even commented on that earlier.

But once again, does the video distort the quality of GT Sport in those settings? If we had the same setup of that track and car etc, the actual visuals would be vastly better than whats depicted in the video?

No, the rally tracks do look like shit, always have in GT. The driving on gravel is shit too, don't know why Kaz insists that it's included.

Septic360

Banned
So are the topics where Forza doesn't look good forbidden or something?

No, the rally tracks do look like shit, always have in GT. The driving on gravel is shit too, don't know why Kaz insists that it's included.

Ah okay that explains it. Just a weak element of the game (visually anyway).

ObT06A3.jpg

Yes, FM7 buildings look very odd. Maybe is it FOV behavior?

As stated already, it's lens distortion. Shouldn't be found as a new thing though, some games in the past have used such lens/fov effect - GTA V being one, very easy to notice in that game. Looks really good in motion, especially on curved monitors. In screenshots, maybe not so much unless it's used in an artistic way to achieve a certain look.

Nothing to see here it's just FoV distortion stop embarrassing yourself.

There's only one person embarrassing themselves here...
You tend to do this quite a lot, it seems. Someone will prove you wrong, then you'll go on a tirade, quoting pictures which show completely unrelated problems (in this case 2D billboard/sprites), sarcastically claiming that it's the thing you were just proven wrong about.

There's nothing wrong with taking a break from this thread if it's causing you such grief, you know.

GHG

You mean amazing...

All three big games look pretty incredible to me, a far cry from "terrible" or "last gen".

But hey, keep putting down those games and planting that brand flag. It's great fun to read.

Yep. I occasionally come in to read and I'm never dissapointed.

tenor.gif

That's just the style, which is fine. FH3 is the same thing. I personally love it.

Yeah, the loudness really doesn't matter to me because that's the one thing I can control. The tone is right, and considering any difference in conditions can affect the volume, I don't really care too much about that. As long as it's accurate sounding I'm good.

You mean amazing...

Yep.

The pros and cons of these games can be fairly discussed without the hyperbole. I guess it is ultimately about defending particular purchases and brands. Got to make it seem like you (this is a general you) made the right choice by tearing apart the other choices.

That Gamestop video and the the Miata comparisons are more examples that they need not show GTS in chase cam view unless they change the settings first. That is an absolute horrible view, with what appears to be the ground changing directions underneath the car and not the opposite.

The nitpicking of details otherwise is somewhat interesting. What compromises or artistic choices the devs take in order to deliver the good so to speak.

bosseye

This thread continually delivers.

As for the 'wonky' building, it's simply a wider field of view. You can test this if you happen to have a copy of sketchup 3D modelling software (or want to download the free trial).

Make a rectangular object. Default camera field of view is 35 degrees. Change the camera field of view to more like 90-100 and voila, your perfectly straight model distorts. It's still straight, but looks like it isn't. I do a lot of commercial modelling, views of new buildings etc; it's finding the balance between a wide enough field of view to fit everything you need in without making everything look like it's distorted.

There are some serious fingers in ears la la laaa types in this thread, I love it.

Bliman

Banned
It's seems to me the distortion that I see in this thread is mostly fanboys against each other.
But this is understandable, if you have one console you will always (or most of the time)be more biased for your console games.
For every game you can in this time and age show great pictures and video's and also bad ones.
There is only preference.
It is clear that GranTurismo chooses a different lighting engine then Forza or Project Cars.
Which the better is , is just preference.
What is also important to me is the consistency, so that you don't get pulled out of the experience, like for example the low reflections in GranTurismo or the cardboard people in Forza.
The better these graphics become the more important the details become, and to me it looks like GranTurismo is trying to implement those the best.
But there is one thing that helps graphics enormously and that's the physics and here there is no question imo is where Project Cars 2 shines above them from a great distance.
I don't have the latest GranTurismo but when I look at some races like this rally stage then it looks so wrong with the physics that no matter how good those graphics would be it wouldn't made a difference.
I also played the Forza demo and those cars don't feel really believable and different.
So the further we become the more the gameplay has an effect on the graphics imo.

I think GTS has the right tone too just muted but Forza is way too loud. Perhaps a middle ground between the two is how the car actually sounds like.

GTS doesn't sound too bad in that instance provided that the roof is actually up. I can't tell from the video because they never change the camera, but it's definitely too muffled if the roof is off.

I think GTS has the right tone too just muted but Forza is way too loud. Perhaps a middle ground between the two is how the car actually sounds like.

I would rather they not tone it down. The mechanical noises make it way more interesting from a game perspective to me.

Personally I would rather they crank the engine sounds up more especially in cockpit view. Make is sound more like the hood cam.

dr guildo

Why is Pcars2 lacking of love in here ?!
I played last night on Pro, and graphically wise, it is an actual tour de force running on consoles with a real dynamic weather system. The game is so gorgeous ! In term of photorealism, SMS nailed it completely !!
Track sides' assets quality is often on par with GTS... barriers, grass, tarmac texturing, puddles, lighting... really impressive showcase.

jaypah

This thread is so fucking dope lmao. Awesome pics, crazy gifs, nice videos and a ridiculous amount of fanboy bickering. Then those OTT posters leave this thread and act like they aren't die-hard warriors. Like, I know this is a safe space for shit talking but some of this stuff is just...Wow. Sure, you can fuck a goat during The Purge but I'm still going to look at you funny on Monday.

Why is Pcars2 lacking of love in here ?!
I played last night on Pro, and graphically wise, it is an actual tour de force running on consoles with a real dynamic weather system. The game is so gorgeous ! In term of photorealism, SMS nailed it completely !!
Track sides' assets quality is often on par with GTS... barriers, grass, tarmac texturing, puddles, lighting... really impressive showcase.

Honestly? Probably because it's not exclusive. It does look great though. Love the TOD.

Septic360

Banned
This thread is so fucking dope lmao. Awesome pics, crazy gifs, nice videos and a ridiculous amount of fanboy bickering. Then those OTT posters leave this thread and act like they aren't die-hard warriors. Like, I know this is a safe space for shit talking but some of this stuff is just...Wow. Sure, you can fuck a goat during The Purge but I'm still going to look at you funny on Monday.

Honestly? Probably because it's not exclusive. It does look great though. Love the TOD.

LMAO

Top Bottom