• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Bro, thats people poking fun since some guy last page thought a Forza gif was GTS lol
Uh, yeah, that's what I'm referring to? I was the first of the responses on the last page to call back to that incident. There have been people before confusing the two plenty of times, as well as the person who thought the gif was GTS. I obviously know that the responses on the last page are sarcastic.

The fact that people have been legitimately confused as to which game is which suggests there isn't as vast of a gulf as you'd like to think.

I woke up after sleeping after a night shift (noticed my post was 2:30 pm) to make that post lmao. Probably a bit groggy.

I guess all the people who are on GAF all day sitting at their computers can judge me ^^

In all seriousness though, the GT sport stuff overall does look a generation difference in many screenshots.

Not saying the dynamic weather and lighting changes aren't part of it, it definitely is, but it's pretty clear overall that GT with the lighting and asset quality plus the HDR on top of all of that puts it above the competition in terms of matching realistic graphics.

There's plenty more comparisons to be made, and we've seen tons of screens of both games, they all look incredible, but GT is still again in a class of it's own in terms of lighting, and for once having a "most powerful console" for a good period of this generation helps the overall IQ too whereas in the PS2 gen it was always pretty far behind in IQ despite the great lighting.

It's just very silly that people don't make the argument for "small GIF makes easy good looking game" when it comes to saying GT doesn't look better. Because it does look better most of the time.

lcgyJXu.gif

When we see this in more lighting conditions as I'd like to and the VR in other games at the same time that'd be great.

And yea big giveaway of course being the hand positions on GT for this being GTS for sure XD

c0de

The general rule of thumb for this thread:

1. If something from Forza looks better, talk about the GTS being "last gen" and "lacking dynamic _____."
  2. If something from GTS looks better, pretend it doesn't exist and wait for #1.

We're simply in stage 2. Give it a half an hour, someone will start talking about trees again.

How can one make such a post when thelastword posts in the same thread?

It's really annoying, I wish people could be serious for once, this is the best year for racing fans in quite some time and people can't deal with it and starts to fight like little kids.

Yeah. What most don't want you knowing is that both look really good, both have strengths, both have weaknesses, and neither are "last gen."

Regarding stuff like that gif though, VR is always GTS/PC2. No Forza 7 implementation (unless I missed something, given there's no VR on XB1S/X).

How can one make such a post when thelastword posts in the same thread?

He's a performance act.

c0de

Yeah. What most don't want you knowing is that both look really good, both have strengths, both have weaknesses, and neither are "last gen."

Regarding stuff like that gif though, VR is always GTS/PC2. No Forza 7 implementation (unless I missed something, given there's no VR on XB1S/X).

I guess we will see VR in Forza mainline in 2 years :)

Uh, yeah, that's what I'm referring to? I was the first of the responses on the last page to call back to that incident. There have been people before confusing the two plenty of times, as well as the person who thought the gif was GTS. I obviously know that the responses on the last page are sarcastic.

Lmao stop saying people. Its one guy and he was tired. Its quite easy to tell FM7 and GTS in gameplay and replay.

dr guildo

I'm not developer, but is it so hard to bake lighting+textures? It's free in terms of performance, looks good, but absolutely static. SO no wonder why the most of devs try to make realtime lighting. Because it is challenge and it's hard to make realistic. Baking interiors(like UE4 demoes) is not chalenge. Am i right?

Again, what is your proof ?

I would definitely call that a generational difference. At a glance. Easily, I am sure I could show this to a random person and they would notice the difference (the camera motion might affect opinion too sure).

Yea I know the lighting is different, small screens for both, etc etc. And yea one isn't even in VR and we aren't looking at the materials in others.

One clearly has more natural looking lighting, but again dim lighting is easiest to get good material shading appearance.

More comparisons would be welcome. Idgaf if anyone calls me biased but I say the GT one looks far more realistic. Would like more similar and more side by side in car comparisons.

CrayToes

The general rule of thumb for this thread:

1. If something from Forza looks better, talk about the GTS being "last gen" and "lacking dynamic _____."
  2. If something from GTS looks better, pretend it doesn't exist and wait for #1.

We're simply in stage 2. Give it a half an hour, someone will start talking about trees again.
The shit flinging in this thread has gone both ways. If you think otherwise, you haven’t been paying attention.

Jamesways

How many more times can we expect you to say "debate over" or "thread's done"?

Just asking for a friend.

No kidding, especially with all the "Omg Forza wins everything!!" Posts the last few pages. Isn't it all settled?

I heard SMS, Kunos, and Sony closed down after reading these proclamations. Random internet homers, be careful what you post.
Lol

Lmao stop saying people. Its one guy and he was tired. Its quite easy to tell FM7 and GTS in gameplay and replay.
I'll stop saying people when it stops being multiple people that confuse it.

No kidding, especially with all the "Omg Forza wins everything!!" Posts the last few pages. Isn't it all settled?

I heard SMS, Kunos, and Sony closed down after reading these proclamations. Random internet homers, be careful what you post.
Lol

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna ignore any claims of "generation ahead" for either game. It's hyperbole on the verge of being inflammatory and I've fallen for it more times than I want to lol.

c0de

I hope so, although it appears that MS has cooled their jets on VR and are focusing way more on AR.

After trying PSVR at a local store today, I actually hope they go for something more convincing as the resolution was way too low, in my opinion but that's not the topic here.
I actually have more hope they will drop support for Xbox one and built the game only for Scorpio, though... The game is apparently held back to the 1.3tf machine.

The shit flinging in this thread has gone both ways. If you think otherwise, you haven’t been paying attention.

It's extremely cyclical. Right now we're in the "GTS is bad and last gen" phase. Next will be the "Forza looks flat and arcadish" phase, but there's always an off chance that we'll get a dash of "wow we're forgetting the true GOAT, DC."

After trying PSVR at a local store today, I actually hope they go for something more convincing as the resolution was way too low, in my opinion but that's not the topic here.
I actually have more hope they will drop support for Xbox one and built the game only for Scorpio, though... The game is apparently held back to the 1.3tf machine.

I've never tried VR in any form and I'm not going to start, tbh. I get motion sick too quickly to chance it and I can't imagine a console-based system would miraculously be fine.

I do like my PS VR a lot but I agree the resolution is a bit too low.

I hope the next iteration is at least 1440p x2 eyes.

It's hard for me to tell how much of headache and nausea I get from the low resolution versus the VR itself also because of that.

PS VR experiences are definitely really awesome, like Battezone and Resident evil 7, but yea I would like higher resolution in future, likely would be for PS5 though.

And I really hope CPU on PS5 is much meatier so we can get better framerates on overall better graphics there too (and of course meaty GPU is important).
I love you man. Keep fighting the good fight.

The lighting looks that much better to me I don't know what else to say. So does the overall asset quality especially for materials. Technically I'm sure in the background it's much more on par (resolution of textures, shaders, shadow resolutions, reflection complexities, etc), but the asset and lighting quality in terms of just how it is done just makes a massive difference.

I'm actually sure Forza technically in terms of resolution of some things, or car models for example in game, might be the higher res models compared to GT. But it doesn't overcome the lighting quality difference or the HDR implementation either definitely not.

Credit is due where credit is due. They all look good and great, GT just looks better for those reasons.

And yea I would like to see more PCars 2 especially PC version since I'm probably closer to getting that than Forza given a Steam version.

CrayToes

Honestly, when people say there’s a generational leap between game X and game Y, it’s usually ridiculous hyperbole. But when you see GTS in certain situations, it genuinely does look a generation ahead of Forza. All while maintaining that sacred 60fps.

Honestly, when people say there’s a generational leap between game X and game Y, it’s usually ridiculous hyperbole. But when you see GTS in certain situations, it genuinely does look a generation ahead of Forza. All while maintaining that sacred 60fps.

While we're getting slightly meta, I think Forza is generally ahead in skyboxes/environments while GTS is ahead in car modeling (interior/exterior) and lighting.

No it isn't. How do I know this? Cause I can't tell the difference most of the time.

One thing I will say is that at least this thread confines all the fanboy drive in the one place, its a godsend for that :)

Jamesways

Someone needs to post a few FM4 and GT5/6 comparison pics against the new ones. People need a refresher of what last gen looked like.
None of these games are that.

Except some early Milestone games. Coming into next gen now though...

CrayToes

Someone needs to post a few FM4 and GT5/6 comparison pics against the new ones. People need a refresher of what last gen looked like.
None of these games are that.

Except some early Milestone games. Coming into next gen now though...
Maybe GTS just looks next gen 🤔

cyen

The army has arrived including the guy that said that a pic of Forza was a generation ahead thinking it was a GTS shot. This thread continues to deliver the goods.

DD

I used to follow this thread to see some great pictures and gifs, gorgeous eye candy and read technical stuff, but it seems that there's a cycle that mandates this thread to follow under completely idiotic arguments that kills my faith in humankind from time to time.

Jamesways

Maybe GTS just looks next gen 🤔
And Forza and pCARS don't?
Like people said if you removed water marks and take out the hand/gloves, it's getting hard to tell them apart.

Ah I don't really have a dog in this fight. All I know is pCARS and the GTS beta sure make my beloved AC look dated!

Can't go wrong with any of these!

And Lmao at the above post. Haha!!

Gestault

Of everything going on, I think it's those who don't seem to understand lens distortion that I find most upsetting.

Edit: EvB is my hero right now.

Who are these "people".....meaning plural?
In addition to potatohead's post (tired or not, it was still a confusion), Fredrik also appeared to be non-sarcastically confused between the two:

If that's Forza 7, is it on PC with oculus rift or how is that video made?
(Not blaming you of anything here Fredrik)

Therefore, we have two separate people, ergo "people" itself. That's just from the most recent circle of this argument. There have been plenty of times further back but this thread is pretty long and frankly I just don't care enough about an argument of semantics to find more.

GTS hits higher highs, lower lows, and Forza is the most consistent. That's the likely result of all of this.
You can say that all you want (and I agree), but it's very likely that some usual suspects will refuse to accept your argument.

The lighting in GT: Sport is seriously impressive. Like it really stands out being one of the best aspects of its graphical presentation.

There's something about the lighting in Forza that's always seemed off to me. It doesn't look as natural and it makes the cars look like plastic.

Though weather effects in Forza 7 look quite nice. And dynamic too, right?

Will GTS have dynamic weather?

I'll stop saying people when it stops being multiple people that confuse it.

As much as you want Forza to be mistaken for GTS, only one person did it and they were tired xD

The others were joking but you seem to really want Forza to be mistaken as GTS. I think that says it all on which game looks better.

cyen

As much as you want Forza to be mistaken for GTS, only one person did it and they were tired xD

The others were joking but you seem to really want Forza to be mistaken as GTS. I think that says it all on which game looks better.

Tired? potathead was very specific in his post.

In fact, i think you, potatohead and thelastword are the same person.

In addition to potatohead's post (tired or not, it was still a confusion), Fredrik also appeared to be non-sarcastically confused between the two:

(Not blaming you of anything here Fredrik)

Therefore, we have two separate people, ergo "people" itself. That's just from the most recent circle of this argument. There have been plenty of times further back but this thread is pretty long and frankly I just don't care enough about an argument of semantics to find more.

You can say that all you want (and I agree), but it's very likely that some usual suspects will refuse to accept your argument.

I can't wait for the PS5 v. Xbox Two Y version of this thread!

thelastword

Banned
I think the GTS vs FORZA vid will be quite the eyeopener, at least to those who's eyes have not opened or purposefully closed for that matter....

As it stands...

GTS wins in

1.) Lighting
2.) Foliage
3.) Trackside Detail
4.) HDR
5.) Post Processing effects
6.) Textures and PBR, especially car detailing in and out and tarmac texturing
7.) Draw Distance and DD details
8.) ATD (tire walls, exhausts, brake calipers, headlights, pit crew)
9.) 60fps replays and VR
and of course..
10.) The cars...

+ Menus, UI et al....

Forza wins in IQ

1.) On PC at 4k 8XMSAA and supersampling

However, some PC folk have said that the 8XMSAA on Forza is not that great....Yet, for a game to do 8K 60fps and still muster 8xMSAA says alot about the base game's technical requirements...

I'd love to see a 60FPS at what cost for both games tbh.... in visual form. I think when people are shown a comprehensive video, they would be better able to understand and appreciate the differences.......

psn

GTS hits higher highs, lower lows, and Forza is the most consistent. That's the likely result of all of this.

I don't agree. Forza has really low lows as well. For example the cockpit of the Mazda Miata. I agree that GT hits higher highs, but lower lows, well, except for IQ - I don't think so tbh. There are ugly (parts of) tracks in Forza as well as in GT. They both take different shortcuts which leads to different highs and lows. There are things Forza does better than GT and vice versa. However, the lower lows argument (except for IQ on PC) is something I wouldn't agree.

ydMxsv.png

OX4T9u.png

I wouldve loved to play F7 with my Oculus Rift on PC though, maybe someone can mod it before F8 arrives.

Tired? potathead was very specific in his post.

In fact, i think you, potatohead and thelastword are the same person.

Haha I kind of like this conspiracy. I've never been a duplicate of a person before XD

Maybe if lastword is in Texas too we can have some sort of imposter meet up???

cyen

I think the GTS vs FORZA vid will be quite the eyeopener, at least to those who's eyes have not opened or purposefully closed for that matter....

As it stands...

GTS wins in

1.) Lighting
2.) Foliage
3.) Trackside Detail
4.) HDR
5.) Post Processing effects
6.) Textures and PBR, especially car detailing in and out and tarmac texturing
7.) Draw Distance and DD details
8.) ATD (tire walls, exhausts, brake calipers, headlights, pit crew)
9.) 60fps replays and VR
and of course..
10.) The cars...

+ Menus, UI et al....

Forza wins in IQ

1.) On PC at 4k 8XMSAA and supersampling

However, some PC folk have said that the 8XMSAA on Forza is not that great....Yet, for a game to do 8K 60fps and still muster 8xMSAA says alot about the base game's technical requirements...

I'd love to see a 60FPS at what cost for both games tbh.... in visual form. I think when people are shown a comprehensive video, they would be better able to understand the differences....

Funny that the weather was not mentioned. At least you didnt mentioned animated pitstops as a plus.

Edit: My mistake, you did mentioned pitcrews, oh well..

Why would I want it to be mistaken? What's there to gain? I was pointing out that it was mistaken and nothing more.

What a silly argument you're trying to make here.

IDK if this belongs in here but I thought it was a nice showcase of the M4 in GTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdBRb2Ezenc

Footage isn't bad, but the editing is pretty obnoxious. I don't see the need to twitch the footage with the beat, and I have no idea why they dubbed the drifting clip with sounds from a V10 BMW lol.

Top Bottom