• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Halo Title Might Get Released On All Platforms, suggests new job listing and rumors

I need to get high man. It will be fucking good laugh with all the meltdown when this happened.

Can't at work lol

The Simpsons GIF
I feel like getting high tonight will be the only way to really appreciate how fucked all of this info is.

Especially because I don't really care about games in the fanboy sense anymore.

But my whole life has been Playstation vs Xbox. Now Xbox is officially giving in and I'd never thought I'd see it happen this way.

This is nuts!

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I feel like getting high tonight will be the only way to really appreciate how fucked all of this info is.

Especially because I don't really care about games in the fanboy sense anymore.

But my whole life has been Playstation vs Xbox. Now Xbox is officially giving in and I'd never thought I'd see it happen this way.

This is nuts!

Ill spark one with you homie

Arnold Schwarzenegger Handshake GIF

Mister Wolf

Anyone else here watch the Xbox One announcement live? Do you remember feeling like something terrible was happening?

Sigh.

Yeah I remember that bullshit. We're about to see 2.0. The only thing that made it worse for Matrick were his smug responses. Us customers were like "who the fuck do you think you're talking to."

Shut0wen

Sony will port shit to Xbox. Not only it will defeat the purpose of owning a ps5. It won't sell shit because the Xbox user base is nothing. Not a valuable port.

They are happy giving the PC a bone 1 year to 2 years later at full price. They don't even bother to denovo their games. Just so they don't pay shit to anyone else.

Not gonna happen. If this turns out to be true. Then it's just game over for Xbox. It's a dead console. MS doesn't want to kill it and say they won't quite the hardware ? Sure but no one will buy it either. They will go third party if this turns out to be true
Your missing the point though, people would still buy a ps over xbox anyday if they did this, sony know this plus there games on pc arnt even making them the money they had hoped with god of war being they highest seller (which was 4 million) seriously use business logic with the scale of there games they are pretty much getting closer to being fucked unless you want movie style games for the rest of your life, even spiderman costing sony 250 million is a big wtf, depends, i cant see ms killing xbox when it cant even get it subscription service on other platforms, if ms was gunna die next gen would be make or break for them

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Your missing the point though, people would still buy a ps over xbox anyday if they did this, sony know this plus there games on pc arnt even making them the money they had hoped with god of war being they highest seller (which was 4 million) seriously use business logic with the scale of there games they are pretty much getting closer to being fucked unless you want movie style games for the rest of your life, even spiderman costing sony 250 million is a big wtf, depends, i cant see ms killing xbox when it cant even get it subscription service on other platforms, if ms was gunna die next gen would be make or break for them
It's you who is missing the point. People on Xbox don't buy games. If it's not on game pass it's a no buy.

Obviously there is a hardcore minority. I am one of them who prefer to own and I don't like rent services. But in general on Xbox ? Even god of war won't break a million. Specially when it's a dead platform and everyone jumping ship before it sinks.

Not to mention the marketing hell Sony has to go through. Remember when they announced couple of games on PC ? And how people started flushing horizon zero dawn disc in the washroom ?

I agree with you on the idea everyone should play anything. But that won't to Sony or Nintendo. Not anytime soon.

PC with its millions and millions of users. Barely making Sony any profit on their games. You want to them to sell on Xbox.... Yes ok lol 😅

Doom85

Pfft, you kids today. In my day, we rofl'd at the idea of Sonic the Hedgehog ever being on a Nintendo console.

Not really a comparable situation.

SEGA was not doing great post-Genesis. The Saturn was badly managed (including the bone headed decision to not import a ton of Japanese games purely based on genre, leaving western audiences with a less diverse choice of games). Game Gear didn’t pan out. The Dreamcast had the potential to turn things around somewhat, but then the PS2 walked into the room with backwards compatibility, a DVD player, and a strong launch library, and the rest was history.

Furthermore, SEGA had some money, but they weren’t stupid crazy rich.

Microsoft, on the other hand, yes they’ve failed to beat Sony in sales every gen even when they had their best shot with the 360, but their systems are still selling, and Microsoft is stupid crazy rich.

So this is what makes all this info coming out so insane. It’s like their mentality is, “well, if we can’t be #1, let’s just do crazy shit just to maybe make more money!”

It truly does feel like the inmates are running the asylum over at Xbox these days. Who knows, maybe they will make more money than they were recently with this move, but the days of Xbox having a chance at a #1 spot in any future gens, even if we were to go by US sales only, seem to be over.

Nydius

Microsoft, on the other hand, yes they’ve failed to beat Sony in sales every gen even when they had their best shot with the 360, but their systems are still selling, and Microsoft is stupid crazy rich.

I said this elsewhere but it bears repeating:

Just because a company has a Scrooge McDuck vault of fuck you money doesn't mean they're going to keep propping up a division that is losing money on each unit sold. Their systems aren't really "still selling"; They got a 3% YoY bump only because they put the XSX on firesale at $350, taking an even bigger loss on each unit sold. Their actual hardware revenues were in the toilet in FY2023, down 13% in Q2, 30% in Q3, and 11% in Q4 YoY, if memory serves. (Edited to fix a memory error; Edit 2: Added links.)

Microsoft has executives and shareholders to answer to and, as it always is with capitalism, if you're not growing, you're failing. That's why this potential new strategy isn't as crazy as you may think it is. 23 years of taking hardware losses only to end up further from Sony than ever? After spending God knows how much keeping Game Pass afloat (payment agreements for third party games can't be cheap) and after spending nearly a combined $90 billion on acquisitions?

Microsoft has let the Xbox hardware brand last longer than a lot of people, myself included, thought they would. Especially given their checkered history with past hardware efforts like Zune, Windows Mobile, Windows Phone, NOKIA, and the original table Surface. Microsoft gives hardware markets a very short leash. Xbox has been the exception, but even Xbox's leash would reach its end one day if they couldn't become competitive with Sony.

I don't think "we have to be #1 or we quit" is the issue here. I think they'd be quite content if they were within striking distance of Sony as they were in the X360 era. But they've watched the gap between them grow over the last generation and a half and all their endeavors to stem the bleeding (Game Pass, the lower cost Series S, buying new publishers) haven't worked.

Last edited:

Belthazar

"A newly found job listing and recent ongoing rumors suggest that the next Halo title might get released on all platforms."​

How do we know this isn't for revamping and porting Infinite? It was supposed to be the platform for halo for a decade, wasn't it?

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

How do we know this isn't for revamping and porting Infinite? It was supposed to be the platform for halo for a decade, wasn't it?

It launched 2021 and there's been zero expansion on the story, though the multiplayer I hear is getting a bit of a revival

I think the idea of it being a 10 year launchpad is probably out the window and things so far indicate they're working on a next game instead

Quixz

Anyone else here watch the Xbox One announcement live? Do you remember feeling like something terrible was happening?

Sigh.
Yep, I remember that day, I proceeded to pack away the family 360s and made a PSN accounts before buying PS4s that holiday.

Radical_3d

Maybe MS hires Sony to develop the game with Bungie.
Sadly there’s no one of the old guard left in Bungie. Infinite has a very good game loop. They just need to ditch all the modern open world, GAAS bs and play Halo 3 for 54 hours so they learn how to make a proper single player campaign and we’re golden.

Chiggs

Some of the reactions in this thread are fucking braindead.

For once, MS is doing the right thing (and smart thing) and yet they're catching flak for it?

The brand was dead with Xbox One...it's that simple.

Holy f.....g flaming hot cheetos.

Acknowledgement. No denial. Just acknowledge and promise to say more after the narrative solidifies. Wow.

Again. What else are they supposed to do? Keep failing and flailing so Sony fans get BIG LAUGHS on NeoGAF?

Hopefully part of this announcement is Phil leaving.

Sigh.

MS going full on 3rd party isn't a bad thing. They lost the war when Xbox One launched.

Last edited:

Phase

That's silly.

Resources + feedback = Hope

They have both.
They've gotten boatloads of feedback since H4 and they've continued to fail over and over. IP needs to be given to another studio or they need to have new devs. No contactors either.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They've gotten boatloads of feedback since H4 and they've continued to fail over and over. IP needs to be given to another studio or they need to have new devs. No contactors either.
I disagree. New leadership yields new results. The campaign was well recieved for Halo Infinite and they'll never make another arena shooter for its multiplayer. I have hope. You have to have hope man.

Phase

I disagree. New leadership yields new results. The campaign was well recieved for Halo Infinite and they'll never make another arena shooter for its multiplayer. I have hope. You have to have hope man.
Well all I want is an arena shooter so I may as well forget the franchise.

If the next Halo is developed by the same woke-first, good game second studio as Infinite, I really have no interest in this franchise.

John117

I can’t believe that the soul of consoles is dead. Seriously.

Exclusive are very important for market and users.

Halo should be the flagship of Xbox

I wonder how much MCC will end up selling on PS5 and Switch, if it gets ported to them.

10+ million (both consoles combined) is a safe guarantee. More if you port it to PS4 as well.

Nydius

Halo should be the flagship of Xbox

Should be but hasn’t been since Bungie developed it. I don’t think anyone would call Halo 5 the flagship of the Xbox One or Halo Infinite the flagship of the Xbox Series.

That, sadly, is part of Microsoft’s current problem. Their old flagships aren’t really flagships anymore. And, frankly, they feel old.

Halo went from setting trends (remember the pre-Halo CE days when everyone said a narrative driven FPS couldn’t work on consoles?) to chasing them.

Last edited:

BlackTron

People are in here talking about Sony putting games on Xbox now? I didn't know they made copium that strong my head is spinning. And I thought I knew some whacked out junkies DAMN

Fabieter

Well I wondered why they made the jump to unreal instead of using their own engine but it makes sense if they to port it to switch 2 and PlayStation 5 as well.

LordOfChaos

Well I wondered why they made the jump to unreal instead of using their own engine but it makes sense if they to port it to switch 2 and PlayStation 5 as well.
Crazy how much budget and years were put into the Slipspace engine for only one game before moving on tho

iirc they're going to try to license it, but I don't now how well that's going to take with UE5 so popular and the Halo studio itself going UE5

John117

Should be but hasn’t been since Bungie developed it. I don’t think anyone would call Halo 5 the flagship of the Xbox One or Halo Infinite the flagship of the Xbox Series.

That, sadly, is part of Microsoft’s current problem. Their old flagships aren’t really flagships anymore. And, frankly, they feel old.

Halo went from setting trends (remember the pre-Halo CE days when everyone said a narrative driven FPS couldn’t work on consoles?) to chasing them.
I'm not totally agree, Halo Infinite was the flagship of power Series X. Then MS was wrong in marketing and showing halo in those conditions

Halo really lost relevance when it reneged on its own promise of finishing the fight.

Chief was supposed to be dead.

The series died went they went back for him.

A whole universe of lore was established and the best they could do was make the enemy the forerunners of the forerunners of the forerunners.

Top Bottom