• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next issue of Famitsu: “something surprising for Metal Gear Solid fans”

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
A Wii U version of ANYTHING would certainly be surprising. Since Konami seems to treat Metal Gear and Nintendo systems as if they were picking up some sludgey mould off the floor.
How so? We saw Snake Eater on 3DS, Twin Snakes on Cube, MG Ghost Babel on Game Boy Color and 2 MG games on NES. There are more MG games on Nintendo platforms than Xbox. They really only ignored the underpowered Wii.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Not sure if serious.

With so much obfuscation about every other aspect of that trailer, why would you trust the platform disclosure?

This would be an absolute riot.

As great as the phantom pain thread pretty much everybody assumes its PS3 / 360 simply because of what the site says. Which is utterly bizarre.

That makes me feel good about it. It would bum me out if this was supposed to be some sort of huge prank that was totally ruined by the Internet age.

Yeah, if he didn't want people to really know what it was then I think we would've seen model swapping. He did this back with MGS2. Raiden's model was swapped out in favor of Snake's during some Big Shell sections. The hair alone for the character in TPP trailer is a giveaway.

Derrick01

Banned
I'd eventually be ok with a big Vita game but in all honesty I'd prefer them to be ps3 games just to get the most out of them possible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, uh, is Phantom Pain related to Ground Zeroes, or are they two separate MGS games? I know no one knows anything about Phantom Pain, but are we operating under the assumption that Ground Zeroes no longer exists and the project became Phantom Pain?

So, uh, is Phantom Pain related to Ground Zeroes, or are they two separate MGS games? I know no one knows anything about Phantom Pain, but are we operating under the assumption that Ground Zeroes no longer exists and the project became Phantom Pain?

Theories:

1. They are two separate games
2. Ground Zeroes is one part of MGS5 (which is open world and happens in the "real world" of MGS) and The Phantom Pain is another part and is a dream sequence with Big Boss in a coma.

I think there are others, but I haven't followed it too much.

Vamphuntr

My personal guess is that Phantom Pain is the name given to the trailer or is the intro to Ground Zeroes. The soldiers in both footage are identical afterall. Moreover if you read the Phantom Pain thread, you will see pictures of the ambulance and assets from the phantom pain trailer Kojima was tweeting about during the summer.

I really doubt KP are making two HD MGS games at the same time.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I'm thinking it will be like Black Ops 2 where technically Black Ops 2: Campaign, Black Ops 2: Multiplayer, and Black Ops 2: Zombies are treated as separate parts of the Black Ops 2 whole.

Here it would be MGS5: Ground Zeroes, MGS5: The Phantom Pain, and MGS5: Metal Gear Online.

Izick

From what I can tell, we have a few options and scenarios. Here is what is most likely to least:

A.) Phatnom Pain is viral marketing for Ground Zeroes

B.) Phantom Pain is viral marketing for Metal Gear Solid V (5) (let me get to why I put the 5 there in a second)

B.) Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are chapters in Metal Gear Solid 5; sort of a play on the tanker and big-shell levels in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

C.) Phantom Pain is actually Metal Gear Solid V, but instead of V standing for 5, it is actually standing for Vita, thus Metal Gear Solid Vita

Is everyone forgetting this quote?

I'm in the Vita MGS guessing group.

Seriously, citing a quote from E3 2011? I think the fact that KojiPro hasn't reiterated those plans since TGS last year, combined with the silent cancellation of ZOE HD for the platform, speaks for itself.

Anyway, I have no doubt that it's exclusive to [whatever platform you least want to see it on].

It seems highly improbable that KojiPro has the resources to simultaneously develop two HD MGS games internally.

FStop7

Banned
Calling a game Metal Gear Solid V but having the V stand or Vita rather than the Roman numeral is totally the kind of thing I would expect from Kojima. Totally.

But the graphics I saw during that Phantom Pain trailer... I can't accept those are in-engine on a Vita.

Izick

people are assuming ps360 because it doesn't look THAT great.

I think it's funny that the VGA thread was flooded with "this has to be next-gen"/"this is next gen for sure!" throughout the trailer when it initially debuted, and then quickly turned and said there's no way in hell that it is.

The reason it doesn't look as good as Ground Zeroes is most likely due to the lighting and weather effects found in that trailer. You're game is pretty much naked, so to speak, in that completely clean, bright hospital setting that the Phantom Pain trailer mainly takes part in. The Ground Zeroes trailer had a nice dark outside environment with harsher floodlights that washed things out, not to mention some killer weather effects to boot.

Derrick01

Banned
Calling a game Metal Gear Solid V but having the V stand or Vita rather than the Roman numeral is totally the kind of thing I would expect from Kojima. Totally.

But the graphics I saw during that Phantom Pain trailer... I can't accept those are in-engine on a Vita.

It would be weird if the V did stand for 5 because he already considers Peace Walker to be MGS 5. As crazy as that is since the game's quality is so low for a numbered title.

fallagin

My guess: the guy in the phantom pains trailer was liquid snake because ocelot took his hand and except it was the right hand, but they switch it so that it is the left hand.

Izick

It would be weird if the V did stand for 5 because he already considers Peace Walker to be MGS 5. As crazy as that is since the game's quality is so low for a numbered title.

I'm sure that he could have changed his mind over the years. Not to mention it doesn't really matter since it doesn't actually use the number five. I'm not sure if Kojima would be against using the number 5 in a future MGS title, but I'm thinking Konami would push hard to get a number in there just to get as many sales as possible. People love "main entries" and a lot of people don't understand that a lack of a number doesn't always mean a spin-off or off-shoot.

Tookay

I'm pretty sure that was marketing (and pre-release art) talk.

I think it's funny that the VGA thread was flooded with "this has to be next-gen"/"this is next gen for sure!" throughout the trailer when it initially debuted, and then quickly turned and said there's no way in hell that it is.

The reason it doesn't look as good as Ground Zeroes is most likely due to the lighting and weather effects found in that trailer. You're game is pretty much naked, so to speak, in that completely clean, bright hospital setting that the Phantom Pain trailer mainly takes part in. The Ground Zeroes trailer had a nice dark outside environment with harsher floodlights that washed things out, not to mention some killer weather effects to boot.

well, web streams do mask some of the graphical flaws with that shitty compression. personally, after watching the direct feed trailers, if ground zeroes and/or phantom pain are what's coming out from kojipro for next-gen, i'm disappointed. i still believe it's ps360, it's been 4 years that they've been working on their new engine which will bring along optimizations. although i would love for this to be a vita game just to see the meltdowns lol.
i don't think the vita has the power for that kind of stuff though so that's probably not gonna happen unfortunately.

Izick

well, web streams do mask some of the graphical flaws with that shitty compression. personally, after watching the direct feed trailers, if ground zeroes and/or phantom pain are what's coming out from kojipro for next-gen, i'm disappointed. i still believe it's ps360, it's been 4 years that they've been working on their new engine which will bring along optimizations. although i would love for this to be a vita game just to see the meltdowns lol.
i don't think the vita has the power for that kind of stuff though so that's probably not gonna happen unfortunately.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think this game or games from Kojima are coming out for the current-gen consoles as well. I was just thinking it was interesting to see how many people said it had to be next-gen because they were expecting a next-gen unveiling at the VGA's.

Like I said in this thread for the Wii U: if a major Metal Gear game comes out for a console then I will probably buy that console just for that game. Metal Gear Solid has its hooks far enough down into me that it's one of the few franchises that can do that to me. So I would buy a Vita solely for that game.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
But it wasn't a numbered title! They were initially thinking about it but decided otherwise--maybe because of the game's low quality as you said.

Derrick01

Banned
But it wasn't a numbered title! They were initially thinking about it but decided otherwise--maybe because of the game's low quality as you said.

It's possible I guess. I've kind of grown tired of Kojima's mind games and twists so I don't pay too much attention until something actually gets announced. People trying to decide whether phantom pain is a new MGS game, a new IP, or ground zeroes renamed in that one thread makes my head hurt.

Vamphuntr

Why are people thinking it's a Vita game? The website itself says 360/PS3. Unless you think MS would allow someone to hype a Vita game with a 360 logo...

Moreover, if the PSP wasn't good enough for MGS 5 Peace Walker I doubt the Vita is good enough since no one has one.

It's more likely he used the V for style as we don't even have an official logo for this anyway.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It's possible I guess. I've kind of grown tired of Kojima's mind games and twists so I don't pay too much attention until something actually gets announced. People trying to decide whether phantom pain is a new MGS game, a new IP, or ground zeroes renamed in that one thread makes my head hurt.
I think it's hilarious and interesting to see people come up with all kinds of theories. MGS fans kind of love talking about it, though, that's why a new MGS game reveal is mostly hyped to enormous levels. I know Kojima plays a lot of mind games, but there really aren't many devs like him out there. You can never take anything for granted from Kojima until it's officially revealed, but sometimes he tends to mess with you in-game as well like he did with MGS2.

I think both Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are different chapters of MGS5 with the former being the prologue of the game because, a) he already said Ground Zeroes was a prologue b) it makes no sense to reveal two major games of a series in quick succession and dilute the brand that way.

Let's see, there probably will be a third viral video released in a few months.

Sky Chief

Why are people thinking it's a Vita game? The website itself says 360/PS3. Unless you think MS would allow someone to hype a Vita game with a 360 logo...

Moreover, if the PSP wasn't good enough for MGS 5 Peace Walker I doubt the Vita is good enough since no one has one.

It's more likely he used the V for style as we don't even have an official logo for this anyway.

Kojima said multiple times that all his games going forward would be 360/PS3/PC/Vita and eventually PS4/Nextbox thanks to the FOX Engine, I think that is the root of all the speculation. He has also been making a big deal of cloud saving and transfarring as well. I'm surprised there's no PC logo on the website.

Vamphuntr

Kojima said multiple times that all his games going forward would be 360/PS3/PC/Vita and PS4/Nextbox thanks to the FOX Engine, I think that is the root of all the speculation. I'm surprised there's no PC logo on the website.

Kojima is also always saying his next MGS will be his last too btw.

That was before Vita ended up being a disaster too. He even canceled the ZOE collection vita port :lol

Kojima is also always saying his next MGS will be his last too btw.

That was before Vita ended up being a disaster too. He even canceled the ZOE collection vita port :lol

seeing how the ps360 versions turned out, i don't even wanna think about a vita version...

SJRB

Gold Member
"something surprising" is a bit tame when you've got an exclusive for the next Metal Gear..

Top Bottom