• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Nintendo DS: Camera, Music Playback and confirmed by Nikkei

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Did some digging, seems that if the screens are going to be bigger they'll only be just slightly bigger. The size comparison change is like 3" to 3.25"...

Just a rumor, but still, it's good for speculations case. Ultimately here's my speculation if this slight screen size change is true:
-2 screens still, no 1 big screen for just a revision
-same clamshell design as NDSlite, better hinge though
-the size of the system will be comparable to NDSlite
-just as thick for ergonomic reasons but maybe smaller asthetically (when closed) to be a more practical portable multi-media device
-keeps the GBA cart slot
-nothing too fancy overall, this is just a phased-in redesign, not the "next" one

What's still up in the air is:
-if there will be better/upgradable firmware?
-will there be Virtual console or Virtual handheld games?
-NDS channels & NDS Ware doable???
-better Opera web browser (would require a memory upgrade)?
-will there be on board flash memory?
-if games will use camera/multi-media features (pics, custome soundtracks maybe, in game camera control...probably not)?
-if the camera is used durring gameplay, where would they possition it?
-if not, then it'd probably be on the back like iPhone or flip?
-camcorder possibilities???
-the SD card thing?
-will this open up Wii to NDS SD card transfers of data (probably with photo Channel, but what else)?
-overall, how to operate camera/multi-media features when device is in the closed possition (maybe not a clamshell design then)???
-what does this mean for Wii (will they open up executables on SD cards on it (therefore solving storage problems) and/or will there be a new hardware revision too)???

Speculate on...

DrGAKMAN

Banned
wsippel said:
Some Japanese site released this image more than a week ago:

2ppjvjd.jpg

The display at the top is a 3" DS Lite display (the top screen), the one at the bottom is supposedly a 3.25" display to be used in a new DS revision. This image leaked(?) a week earlier than the Nikkei article, and the article only mentions a slightly bigger screen - no camera or music playback.

DAMMIT, beaten...anyways...I think it's just a larger screen (therefore larger pixels) at this point, but what if they're slightly higher-res screens for portable VC purposes (playing SNES/Genesis VC games on the go)???

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
A bigger screen would be nice for the touchscreen functionality. Despite the potential I always resort to using the Dpad for drawing pixel art on DS apps that allow for it (like Animal Crossing) because the touchscreen/stylus is too inaccurate for my tastes. But a slightly larger one with larger pixels would be superb for such a thing.

I would like a better microphone in the new DS, though.

MisterHero

HK-47 said:
Wouldnt a larger touchscreen fuck with old DS touchscreen games?
If you stretched them, I'd think it would.

I think it's likely that we'll get a bigger touch screen though the it won't have the stretching function. (unless they have a solution for that too :p)

Parl

In far western time zones, such as the US, it'd be evening on 1st if the summit is to happen early on 2nd in Japan Time.

Filter

A camera in a future DS would be great. It'd allow for augmented reality games. A GPS would be a good addition as well. the two used together could make for some really interesting games that play on the DS's biggest strength... its portability.

Jaruru

Parl said:
In far western time zones, such as the US, it'd be evening on 1st if the summit is to happen early on 2nd in Japan Time.

good question. anyone has the schedule for any/both events happening on Oct 2nd?

R0nn

So I just skipped quickly through the thread, but this has actually been confirmed? Seems weird to me. DS is still doing way too good to already be succeeded by a new model.

PSGames

R0nn said:
So I just skipped quickly through the thread, but this has actually been confirmed? Seems weird to me. DS is still doing way too good to already be succeeded by a new model.

It's suspected this will be a premium model of some sort (think Xbox 360 Elite).

CaVaYeRo

Jaruru said:
good question. anyone has the schedule for any/both events happening on Oct 2nd?

I second this. It's very important to know the Tokyo conference time. It'll be first, and I think it'll be Euro 2nd morning time,but I don't have specifics.

Any J-Gaffer?

tabsina

CaVaYeRo said:
I second this. It's very important to know the Tokyo conference time. It'll be first, and I think it'll be Euro 2nd morning time,but I don't have specifics.

Any J-Gaffer?

and also, we need to find a way of tracking the proceedings throughout the meeting.. is this the kind of thing that'll have liveupdate blog of sorts?

Jaruru

tabsina said:
and also, we need to find a way of tracking the proceedings throughout the meeting.. is this the kind of thing that'll have liveupdate blog of sorts?

I remember Nintendo had an official live blog (with images) in the previous years.

I hope there're Gaffers who can provide more info :)

Pellham

Banned
Guled said:
if they included SD card support then they will open the gates for piracy

DS piracy is already freakin huge (particularly in asia). I think Nintendo doesn't care though, because their games still sell millions and SD card support would really help sell the new system to existing customers. I can see the slot being used to save photos taken with the digital camera.

I doubt I will get one of these new DS's but damn if it isn't a brilliant move.

sp0rsk said:
I wonder what the odds are this comes out in Famitsu tomorrow.

Nahhh prolly not.
Well, Famitsu 'should' be out on Friday, and the event is on Thursday...maybe they have some scoop on new games, or known games getting showed. [/positive thinking]

Jaruru

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Well, Famitsu 'should' be out on Friday, and the event is on Thursday...maybe they have some scoop on new games, or known games getting showed. [/positive thinking]

I'd want to get info from Nintendo conf = surprises.
but Famitsu may leak one game or two.. hmm

yankee666

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Wait, famitsu comes out allways on Friday? if so, how its that the famitsu news comes out on wednesday. Everyday you learn something new...:lol

HK-47 said:
Wouldnt a larger touchscreen fuck with old DS touchscreen games?
No. It's just as if you've modified its size with Rick Moranis's shrink/enlarge machine. Whether the screen is 3 inches or 3 feet or 3 centimeters, they could all have the same sensitivity and number of pixels.

swerve

Famitsu is widely available on Fridays but is available in some locations as early as Tuesday night. I think what sp0rsk was on about was that they might already have the scoop ready to go in this week's edition. Which would mean we could get news earlier. But that didn't happen with MH3 or Sonic, so I reckon the chances are slim.

The conferences will, if it follows all previous such conferences (last year's October conference, financial briefings) then it'll happen early-mid afternoon Tokyo time. 3pm perhaps.

swerve

JoshuaJSlone said:
No. It's just as if you've modified its size with Rick Moranis's shrink/enlarge machine. Whether the screen is 3 inches or 3 feet or 3 centimeters, they could all have the same sensitivity and number of pixels.

EBA would be a different experience because the distances between your taps will be different and the distance you travel.

Games that control with the touch pad as analogue input will control differently because you will have to travel further to achieve the same movement.

If they shrink it to the same exact size and give black borders, games which use the edges for pen-location or to stop the player moving will not work

SO I'm pretty interested to see what they are planning.

swerve said:
EBA would be a different experience because the distances between your taps will be different and the distance you travel.

Games that control with the touch pad as analogue input will control differently because you will have to travel further to achieve the same movement.
Being a different size it will feel different to our same-sized bodies, but I took "fucking with" to mean something more debilitating. By making the screen a different size and thus our actions slightly different to get the same result, it's more like the way buttons were moved or resized among different models of Xbox controller, or even the different models of GBA and DS.

If they shrink it to the same exact size and give black borders, games which use the edges for pen-location or to stop the player moving will not work

SO I'm pretty interested to see what they are planning.
Shrinking things to the same old size doesn't make sense; that presumes this larger screen has a larger resolution. Since it seems to just be a new model DS and not a successor, that shouldn't be the case.

swerve

JoshuaJSlone said:
Being a different size it will feel different to our same-sized bodies, but I took "fucking with" to mean something more debilitating. By making the screen a different size and thus our actions slightly different to get the same result, it's more like the way buttons were moved or resized among different models of Xbox controller, or even the different models of GBA and DS.

Shrinking things to the same old size doesn't make sense; that presumes this larger screen has a larger resolution. Since it seems to just be a new model DS and not a successor, that shouldn't be the case.

Sure, I think there are ways they could alleviate the problem. But there are lots of games out there where gesture recognition, etc, is mapped directly to the resolution of the current screen. Changing the size/resolution will be more serious than just moving buttons - some gestures will feel markedly different, and potentially game breaking, at different scales.

It's more akin to changing the size, resistance and sensitivity of the N64's analogue stick, I reckon.

All that said, I'm not saying it won't happen. Just that it's odd and I want to know how they're going to do it.

New DS confirmed tomorrow
EXCLUSIVE: MCV source in the Far East guarantees the news retailers wanted to hear

Nintendo will announce a new, updated version of its DS console at a press conference tomorrow morning, MCV has learnt.

According to our impeccable source in Japan, Satoru Iwata will make the announcement at 5am UK time – as first predicted by MCV last month.

Little is known about the machine's exact extra functions, but we do know the product will be the ‘multimedia’ model mentioned by Nikkei this week – with an MP3 player and camera function.

The launch date and price of the machine is still unknown – but it will be a surprise to see its arrival delayed until after Christmas.

It is thought that Nintendo is particularly keen internally to give the system a boost in Japan, where it has been trailing PSP in recent months.

The same can’t be said in the UK, however, where the latest ChartTrack figures highlight the console as the most successful in the territory – with a whopping 7.1 million installed base.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/31913/New-DS-confirmed-tomorrow

tabsina

5am UK time.. is that when the conference will start? seems feasible, as that is around 12-1pm japan time isn't it?

nvm.. just saw the other thread and that says 5:30am, which is 12:30pm in japan.. seems good for me.. i can wake up at 2 :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MCV's "exclusive source" is Nikkei, and the article inaccurately says that the DS has been trailing the PSP in "recent months" when in reality the DS has been back on top for the last two.

swerve said:
Sure, I think there are ways they could alleviate the problem. But there are lots of games out there where gesture recognition, etc, is mapped directly to the resolution of the current screen. Changing the size/resolution will be more serious than just moving buttons - some gestures will feel markedly different, and potentially game breaking, at different scales.

What he's saying is that you are incorrectly correlating screen size with resolution.

Two different size screens, in this case 3" and 3.25" can and probably will (for the reasons you mentioned) have the same resolution.

It's just like my television (37" 1080p) has the same native resolution as a 52" 1080p set. Same number of pixels (1920x1080=2,073,600), just the pixels themselves are physically larger.

swerve

gregor7777 said:
What he's saying is that you are incorrectly correlating screen size with resolution.

And what *I'm* saying is that I'm not incorrectly correlating the two. The DS's screen resolution and touch panel resolution are 1:1. If you make the screen bigger, then the *physical distance* (nothing technical) that is required to carry out gestures, and the *physical size* of the circles in EBA, become different.

Now, I'm not saying it wouldn't work. In fact I've consistently said I'm really looking forward to seeing what Nintendo have decided to do in this regard. It'll work, but it's a change. EBA circles will be an easier to hit on a DS with a bigger lower screen. But the spinning sections may be tougher because you'll have further to spin.

But if the size difference is minimal, it'll be a minute difference and probably one that most people won't notice.

swerve said:
And what *I'm* saying is that I'm not incorrectly correlating the two.

swerve said:
But there are lots of games out there where gesture recognition, etc, is mapped directly to the resolution of the current screen. Changing the size/resolution will be more serious than just moving buttons

OK.

You just worded that badly then.

swerve

Yeah, I could have said 'mapped directly to the screen size (as it's one to one with the resolution of the touch panel)'.

swerve said:
But if the size difference is minimal, it'll be a minute difference and probably one that most people won't notice.

I can't see it being any more than 20% bigger. They could make the stylus tip fatter to compensate ...maybe.

Tomorrow morning will be either a good or bad explosion in this thread, i'm interested more in this new model if it plays mp3's as standard.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so a DS with moonshell built in? so what? Maybe a 'lifestyle' redesign? But I still don't get why adding mp3 and a camera makes it compelling.

mp3 would surely mean some kind of external display - who wants to have to open the DS to change anything?

I'm still surprised Nintendo hasn't done anything interesting with connectivity between the Wii and DS. Wireless 4 swords would take about 10 minutes to knock up.

mrklaw said:
so a DS with moonshell built in? so what? Maybe a 'lifestyle' redesign? But I still don't get why adding mp3 and a camera makes it compelling.

mp3 would surely mean some kind of external display - who wants to have to open the DS to change anything?
So now the DS will have three screens? :eek:

mrklaw said:

L and R buttons might still work but that would ruin any ability to stick the ds in your pocket while playing music without a song randomly changing.

A small external screen would be nice imo.

Fireblend

Banned
Well well, I just sold my fat DS planning to get a lite like tomorrow, but I might as well import one of the new ones if it's that worth it. All I need is for my flashcart to work and I'll be in. If not then I'll wait for the lite price drop and get one instead as originally planned. Either way, my win :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Diablohead said:
L and R buttons might still work but that would ruin any ability to stick the ds in your pocket while playing music without a song randomly changing.

A small external screen would be nice imo.

so transport keys and a little display?

although they might take the position that you can just flip it open from sleep mode to change/set up playlists etc. once you're listening you could close it. ipod touch doesn't have any hard transport controls either.

Fireblend said:
Well well, I just sold my fat DS planning to get a lite like tomorrow, but I might as well import one of the new ones if it's that worth it. All I need is for my flashcart to work and I'll be in. If not then I'll wait for the lite price drop and get one instead as originally planned. Either way, my win :D

Don't worry. I'm sure compatibility with the most popular flash carts is high on Nintendos must have list.....

Top Bottom