• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Nintendo DS: Camera, Music Playback and confirmed by Nikkei

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
VicViper said:
The only new feature we really need is WPA encryption.

Which is the one feature you are most assuredly not going to get, as the entirety of the wifi code for the GAMES is located in each game's program. The best you can hope for is WPA for new DS online games.

wsippel

Banned
DavidDayton said:
Which is the one feature you are most assuredly not going to get, as the entirety of the wifi code for the GAMES is located in each game's program. The best you can hope for is WPA for new DS online games.
It might be possible to intercept the call and load a different WLAN setup (with WPA support) from the DS firmware instead. I don't think it's likely, but it's probably not completely impossible.

DavidDayton said:
Are you sure about that? I've never set up a connection in animal crossing, mario kart or picross and they work flawless since I set up the connection in Tetris. So those information switched over to the other cartridges by lying next to each other?

AFAIK are the 3 settings stored in the DS itself. Otherwise the above situation is not explainable.

Caesar III said:
Are you sure about that? I've never set up a connection in animal crossing, mario kart or picross and they work flawless since I set up the connection in Tetris. So those information switched over to the other cartridges by lying next to each other?

AFAIK are the 3 settings stored in the DS itself. Otherwise the above situation is not explainable.

The actual wifi-settings are indeed saved onto the DS itself - however, the actual wifi-accessing code is hardwired on the cartridges themselves. The only way Nintendo could allow older games to use a different wifi network (or WPA encryption) would be to release new editions of the games reprogrammed to use WPA or whatever. A diverting hack as mentioned above would be technically possible, but this is Nintendo we are talking about, after all.

uhm, how are the games and the encryption related? The encryption is done hardware wise, right? So the game triggers "start connection 1" and the DS states "done". Then the game can use TCP/IP for communication, right? So it should be totally irrelevant for the game which encrytion the ds uses?

Caesar III said:
uhm, how are the games and the encryption related? The encryption is done hardware wise, right? So the game triggers "start connection 1" and the DS states "done".

No. Every individual DS game that utilizes the Wifi modes actually includes libraries to make use of the hardware directly; the only thing the DS itself handles is storing the connection information. There's no OS or hardware layer to abstract the connection process; each game handles it separately.

charlequin said:
No. Every individual DS game that utilizes the Wifi modes actually includes libraries to make use of the hardware directly; the only thing the DS itself handles is storing the connection information. There's no OS or hardware layer to abstract the connection process; each game handles it separately.
okay...now that is stupid lol.

NotWii

Banned
charlequin said:
Classic Nintendo backwards logic :D

Perdew

Didn't see this posted:

http://kotaku.com/5056325/nintendo-new-ds-story-didnt-come-from-us

"The Nikkei newspaper wrote a recent story about a DS solely based upon their own research and speculation, without interviewing Nintendo. While Nintendo is always working on new hardware, we have not made any announcement about a DS and we cannot comment on the Nikkei story."

What's strange is that the original story (I had Ash check) never quotes any sources or in anyway indicates that the story is essentially rumor. The newspaper essentially reports it as fact. So I'm not sure what to make of this.

optimiss

I'd like it to look like this:

3343h53.jpg

Cygnus X-1

optimiss said:

Actually, I don't see why speakers should take place in the inferior screen; already filled with d-pad, buttons and touch screen.

FoneBone said:
Ah, Kotaku. Nintendo didn't use the word "rumor," and it's a classic PR non-denial denial.

A denial that don't deny anthing. A classic in journalism.

Caaz

Cygnus X-1 said:
Actually, I don't see why speakers should take place in the inferior screen; already filled with d-pad, buttons and touch screen.
And, you know, palms. Could be quite a problem...

Yazuka

optimiss said:

Good mockup. But you should move the speakers to the upper half.
Your hands would get in the way of them. Other than that, I thought it looked really good.

That is pretty much your classic "no shit we're announcing a new product but that's TWO DAYS FROM NOW YOU JERK" non-denial, but it would be pretty hilarious if this turned out to be all bullshit. :lol

Cygnus X-1

charlequin said:
That is pretty much your classic "no shit we're announcing a new product but that's TWO DAYS FROM NOW YOU JERK" non-denial, but it would be pretty hilarious if this turned out to be all bullshit. :lol

You know, even newspaper make mistakes. But I do think that's the point that's been reached is a "no turning back" point. Do you think that Nikkei would've risk its reputation like that without some decent sources? They're dumb if they did.
If this turn out to be false, some heads will rule out of Nikkei's!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
optimiss said:

That's nice but the DS will never have unbalanced screens. All the book-orientation software is ambidextrous and needs to be able to be held with either hand comfortably.

I already own two DS'. Before I even considering buying a third I need some compelling software. It's been years since I've seen a strong effort from Nintendo on the software front.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
evilromero said:
I already own two DS'. Before I even considering buying a third I need some compelling software. It's been years since I've seen a strong effort from Nintendo on the software front.

If it's really been years since you've seen a strong effort from Nintendo, then why did you buy two DSs? I mean, I can see someone looking at all of 2006 and 2007 and saying Nintendo's enormous amount of first-party high-quality titles are all junk, but I can't see that person then going ahead and buying two DSs.

Stumpokapow said:
If it's really been years since you've seen a strong effort from Nintendo, then why did you buy two DSs? I mean, I can see someone looking at all of 2006 and 2007 and saying Nintendo's enormous amount of first-party high-quality titles are all junk, but I can't see that person then going ahead and buying two DSs.
The DS lite came out one year after the phat. Year two and three had a lot of great software. At the time it was well worth the upgrade.

Cygnus X-1

evilromero said:

Actually, Rhythm tengoku and Band Bros. DX are developed by Nintendo.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
evilromero said:
The DS lite came out one year after the phat. Year two and three had a lot of great software. At the time it was well worth the upgrade.

Ah right, so you meant "2008 has sucked for first-party software".

Threi

notag
you know what the DS needs?

some Neon Lights.

and maybe a flame decal right across the top of the case that would be sweet

daCuk said:
This

though gamecube compatibility WILL make me upgrade...

LOL

Even if Nintendo ever comes out with a portable on par with the Gamecube, it'll never be disc based.

That would be awesome though :(

wsippel

Banned
Some Japanese site released this image more than a week ago:

2ppjvjd.jpg

The display at the top is a 3" DS Lite display (the top screen), the one at the bottom is supposedly a 3.25" display to be used in a new DS revision. This image leaked(?) a week earlier than the Nikkei article, and the article only mentions a slightly bigger screen - no camera or music playback.

Morts

I still don't get the bigger screen thing, since games would still have to have borders in order to not be stretched and ugly, right?

Morts said:
I still don't get the bigger screen thing, since games would still have to have borders in order to not be stretched and ugly, right?
not if they use bigger "pixels"
If it is really only this 0.25" the stretch is not noticeable I think. This would mean like 0,01mm/px

wsippel

Banned
Morts said:
If the leak is real, we're only talking about an 8% increase in size at the same resolution. Sure, pixels would be slightly more visible, but I don't think it'll make games look much worse or anything.

Top Bottom