• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Nintendo DS: Camera, Music Playback and confirmed by Nikkei

Somnid said:
-The e-card reader is not fully compatible with the GBA:SP or DSL. It is completely incompatible with the Micro, and DS fat.
I don't recall trying it with the fat, but I know I used it with Micro; I wanted to see how ridiculous it looked.

Rolf NB

I hope they do something about the ergonomics. The DSlite is really uncomfortable to just hold. Inputs too low, center of mass too high etc.

wsippel

Banned
What if this actually really is the DS2, which means that there is no DS2?

This might sound strange, and I don't know whether or not it's feasible, but what about this: Instead of releasing a completely new generation of systems every few years, which is basically a new deal and could result in a loss of market leadership, Nintendo only releases revisions every so often. Some of these revisions are not only cosmetic, but encompass actual hardware upgrades as well. Not a redesign, just upgrades - slightly more powerful, a few additional features, but still binary compatible. They'd encourage developers to actually use that additional horsepower, but won't allow them to require it. Every new DS game should offer improved graphics on the latest hardware revision, but still has to run on the standard DS. Basically similar to how PC development works, the DS becomes the "minimum spec", the DS2 would be the "recommended spec".

donny2112

Somnid said:
-They removed the Digital out from the Gamecube because the online-only, never stocked cables weren't selling.

-GB and GBC BC chips were cut from the GBM, most likely to reduce space.

-On the SP they removed the headphone jack, I can only imagine, for space reasons.

-They've redesigned the Micro's plug to be both a gamelink port and a power port and required an adaptor to use normal link cables. Ironically they added the headphone jack due to outcry.

-The e-card reader is not fully compatible with the GBA:SP or DSL. It is completely incompatible with the Micro, and DS fat.

Loss of peripheral use happens and Nintendo has consistanly removed near cost-less parts to impove cost or form factor. Neither the DS rumble pack nor the Opera browser were very popular and they weren't required. GH is an issue but it means the for the next iteration it will have to be redesigned. Luckily for them GH is a yearly thing so it won't matter so much in the long run.

It's also possible that in the case of rumble, browser or GBA games that any of those can possibly be included as either a hardware feature or as software via the proposed SD card slot. It seems possible that older gameboy titles ranging from GB all the way to advance can simply be incorporated into the VC if they so will it. This is not unlike PSPs Playstation Classics.

As far as comfort goes the system can be redesigned to a different form shape but more likely they don't care because it's not a problem in Japan.

NotThisCrapAgain.jpg

* Digital out isn't a gameplay mechanic, and it was to reduce the cost of the system 500 yen to compensate for the new Japanese law that required sales tax to be included in the price of an item. Nintendo was too cheap to just lower the price of the system, so they removed the digital out.

* GBM was never meant to replace the GBASP (like I believe the DS Next to not replace the DS). The GBM was also a sales failure due to its lowered feature set and higher price.

* You could still use headphones on a GBASP. You just had to buy a proprietary plug-in from Nintendo to do so.

* GBM. See previous point.

* The eReader worked with all the GBAs. You just had to do some form modifications to get it into the GBASP. Support was dropped (WHERE'S MY SERIES 3 AND 4 SMB3 CARDS, NINTENDO!?!) which is why they didn't go out of their way to make it seamlessly work with future handhelds.

Again, Nintendo are not idiots. The GBA slot will remain.

Rumble Pack. GBA game extras on DS games. Band Brothers expansion. Paddle controller. Mag-kid. Facening Training. DS Browser. Guitar Hero.

POKEMON

Can we drop this stupid line of thinking now, please?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Lindsay said:
Besides PSP-3000 is getting a built-in camera and now the DS is how suspicious! (not!)

You think Nintendo got a hardware revision from R&D to market in fewer than 6 months?

Wait... what are you even talking about? The PSP 3000 doesn't have a built-in camera.

The M.O.B

Here is a few Fan-mockups that fit the decription of a larger screen(everything else, who knows)

giz-wants-ds-open.jpg

2100765814_cf8723033a.jpg

(Gaf's very own Shogmaster)
51973-1.jpg

thumb463x_3d-nintendo-ds2-front.jpg

Im just hoping for a even slicker handheld.
The iPhone one looks hawt

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I would buy a DS if it looked as slick as the last two.

Then I would do things with it that would make me worthy of my tag.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Stumpokapow said:
You think Nintendo got a hardware revision from R&D to market in fewer than 6 months?

The not! was serious not sarcastic btw but anyway I'm dumb see below!

Hcoregamer00 said:
Really? I had no idea.

Too bad the PSP-3000 wont have build in GPS.

Oh wait no its a built-in microphone n/m! x_x

donny2112 said:
* The eReader worked with all the GBAs. You just had to do some form modifications to get it into the GBASP. Support was dropped (WHERE'S MY SERIES 3 AND 4 SMB3 CARDS, NINTENDO!?!) which is why they didn't go out of their way to make it seamlessly work with future handhelds.

THIS!!!!!! I bought into all of Nintendo's GBA scams...

e-reader? HAHA WE WILL BARELY SUPPORT THIS
gbplayer? NO IT WON'T WORK WITH THE REVOLUTION
gba video? WE SELL HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF THESE THEN DECIDE TO STOP FOR NO REASON (granted this wasn't Nintendo-specific but still)

But I did still enjoy 'em all for what they were worth~

Baconbitz

Banned
Cammie Dunaway said recently that its selling to well. I know she is trying to cover up the rumor but, I think it might be sorta true.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
wsippel said:
What if this actually really is the DS2, which means that there is no DS2?

This might sound strange, and I don't know whether or not it's feasible, but what about this: Instead of releasing a completely new generation of systems every few years, which is basically a new deal and could result in a loss of market leadership, Nintendo only releases revisions every so often. Some of these revisions are not only cosmetic, but encompass actual hardware upgrades as well. Not a redesign, just upgrades - slightly more powerful, a few additional features, but still binary compatible. They'd encourage developers to actually use that additional horsepower, but won't allow them to require it.[b/] Every new DS game should offer improved graphics on the latest hardware revision, but still has to run on the standard DS. Basically similar to how PC development works, the DS becomes the "minimum spec", the DS2 would be the "recommended spec".

dunno about the graphics, but i'm pretty sure some new titles will require some of that new functionality, graphics-related or not. and the moment they do that, they'll face the quintessential dilemma of the pc game reality: do new games target the top 10% of the market, or do they try and expand downwards?

and here comes the console reality - with the generational leaps, where new software runs only on the latest hw, but latest hw is often capable to do old software. i think the next ds (with new features and all) will not differ much from that model - it will just be nintendo's own handgeld quasi-generation - nintendo have the luxury to define their own handheld generations as they wish.

Hcoregamer00

TheGrayGhost said:
Is this a redesign or the next handheld from Nintendo?

I hope it is the latter, just because I want to see Nintendo on a more powerful system, but the former is just as good because my DS lite has a hinge crack and a dead L button.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
2100765814_cf8723033a.jpg

I said wow!

And it could even arbitrarily put a line of seperation in the middle of the screen in "vertical/button mode" to play old DS games too! Touch-screen-only mode would be awesome too.

NINTENDO, USE THIS DESIGN

Edit- Wow, everything in the mockup apart from the date falls almost exactly within the report by Nikkei. This person must have inside info or something.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Seems more like a redesign, but I suppose we'll find out soon enough.

Me too.

The DS/Wii connection via the SD sounds intriguing. If it is what I think it is, allowing you to play VC games on the go, than that is the most fucking genius move in the history of this business. It would make the WiiShop Channel the hub for all of Nintendo-dom. I mean, right now, many Wii owners don't even know the service exists, and this connectivity would rectify that problem in the best possible way. Sadly, this is unlikely. MASSIVE changes would have to be made, I think, especially if the game has a multiplayer mode (wouldn't they have to add code for wireless gameplay?)

Jaruru

some of the fans-made mock up look nice, but I think they should keep both screens the same size. some games are trying to connect both screens to produce a bigger in game map or battle screen.

- bigger screens and get them close to each other :D

any other new spec = surprises ^^

Hcoregamer00 said:
I hope it is the latter, just because I want to see Nintendo on a more powerful system, but the former is just as good because my DS lite has a hinge crack and a dead L button.

I think expecting GameCube-level graphics on DS hardware is unrealistic for many reasons. One, it would make handheld development costs rise. Two, 3D gameplay is not conducive to handheld gameplay and handheld demographics.

donny2112

Lindsay said:
THIS!!!!!! I bought into all of Nintendo's GBA scams...

e-reader? HAHA WE WILL BARELY SUPPORT THIS
gbplayer? NO IT WON'T WORK WITH THE REVOLUTION
gba video? WE SELL HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF THESE THEN DECIDE TO STOP FOR NO REASON (granted this wasn't Nintendo-specific but still)

But I did still enjoy 'em all for what they were worth~

The eReader was great. Mario Party-e was a blast! Animal Crossing cards were really fun, especially the Nintendo Power inserts. I wish they had brought the Pikmin cards over and actually done the Game & Watch lineup, too. They gave away Air Hockey cards at the Cube Clubs, and the game was hard but fun! eReader was a ton of fun for a "failure" platform.

I only bought a few GBA videos, but I liked them. You had to be into cartoons to have a good shot at enjoying it, though, as the only live action piece I saw on GBA video was a pixelated mess.

GBPlayer is good if you just have to play GBA and below games on your TV. I still like it. :)

*toasts the "GBA scams"*

Well there's your Wii storage solution. They'd rather you play your VC games on a redesigned handheld then letting it go for "free." So I guess it's a mini fridge in addition to your fridge.

donny2112

realraptor said:
Well there's your Wii storage solution. They'd rather you play your VC games on a redesigned handheld then letting it go for "free." So I guess it's a mini fridge in addition to your fridge.

I just realized the exact same thing. It's a good stopgap measure, but too many N64/WiiWare games will still fill up a Wii's flash memory.

Jaruru said:
- bigger screens and get them close to each other :D

That would break all DS games that had action across both screens. No deal. :p

blu

realraptor said:
well, if that mini fridge would be able to play content off its SD slot then it wouldn't be so clear which of the two fridges is the 'mini' ; )

edit: ok, i was jesting with the above, assuming a fictional scenario and all, but it just struck me real hard:

the listed wake-on-wifi feature of the new ds makes it a _very_ plausible candidate for a network-storage solution! if we assume the device will normally go 'deep sleep' (like it does now at closing the lid), rather than a complete power-off, then the ds2 (sorry, but i'm assuming this nomenclature for simplicity from here on) will need just be somewhere within wifi reach of your wii, and the wii will be able to activate it and use it as external (possibly secure) storage. that'd be brilliant.

Eteric Rice

blu said:
well, if that mini fridge would be able to play content off its SD slot then it wouldn't be so clear which of the two fridges is the 'mini' ; )

IT WOULD BE LIKE A TARDIS WITHIN A TARDIS. :eek:

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
[Nintex] said:
Everything is fine with me as long as they don't patch in Region protection.

Shhh, don't give 'em ideas ffs! :-/

blu said:
the listed wake-up-on-wifi feature of the new ds makes it a _very_ plausibel candidate for a network-storage solution! if we assume the device will normally go 'deep sleep' (like it does now at closing the lid), rahter than a complete power-off, then the ds2 (sorry, but i'm assuming this nomenclature for simplicity from here on) will need just be somewhere withing reach of your wii, and the wii will be able to activate it and use it as external (secure) storage. that'd be brilliant.

WOW.
That'd be genius.
Go get them tiger!
(And make them pay you big bucks)

Jammy

Banned
Yikes!

This thing could have some sort of Virtual Handheld announced for it with that SD/Wii support, as well as an AIM/Skype-like PictoChat now. And seeing how awesome the GameBoy Camera was, I have faith that whatever Nintendo does with this DS re-design will lead to great games or applications.

But yeah, I think a DSlite price drop to $100 with this DS priced at $150 would be killer.

Hcoregamer00

TheGrayGhost said:
I think expecting GameCube-level graphics on DS hardware is unrealistic for many reasons. One, it would make handheld development costs rise. Two, 3D gameplay is not conducive to handheld gameplay and handheld demographics.

I would agree with you, but the DS doesn't have enough 2D games.

Nothing would make me happier than having the DS be the 2D powerhouse, but developers are making mainly 3D games. Since they are doing that, I prefer that Nintendo should go forward with a more powerful handheld, since they don't want to push the 2D boundaries beyond games like Castlevania and Phoenix Wright.

Heck, they could have done that easily with the Valkyrie Profile game for the DS, instead they go in a direction that is not as 2D friendly.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jammy said:
Yikes!

This thing could have some sort of Virtual Handheld announced for it with that SD/Wii support, as well as an AIM/Skype-like PictoChat now. And seeing how awesome the GameBoy Camera was, I have faith that whatever Nintendo does with this DS re-design will lead to great games or applications.

But yeah, I think a DSlite price drop to $100 with this DS priced at $150 would be killer.

Nintendo is all about less confusion for the consumer, not more. Lite is phased out for the DS New

Hcoregamer00

HK-47 said:
Nintendo is all about less confusion for the consumer, not more. Lite is phased out for the DS New

Too bad that other console companies seem to have forgotten this long held hardware philosophy.

If this is revealed in their Oct. 2nd conference, there's definitely going to be new games, assuming the whole "games making use of the camera" thing pans out. No way you'd announce a feature and not even announce any game to take advantage of it.

So what will be announced? I bet a Brain Age game that will support a Mii-like format with the camera function.

But the camera thing will definitely be a good idea with the Photo Channel - a convenient way to move pictures to your Wii.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Jonnyboy117 said:
You don't know what "happy" means until owning a DS Lite.
I know what happy is. I'm happy with it. I've played my friend's DS Lites and I just don't see the need to upgrade for a brighter screen. Maybe when my Phat completely stops working I'll buy a Lite, but until that day happens I'm sticking with it.

grandjedi6 said:
pfft, Phat lovers unite!
High 5!

blu

Dash Kappei said:
WOW.
That'd be genius.
Go get them tiger!
(And make them pay you big bucks)
well, i was merely speculating what nintendo may have already done ; )

Jammy

Banned
I only have a Phat...

I also had a mini DS revival earlier this summer when I bought an Action Replay DS (re-igniting my love for Pokemon Diamond), The World Ends With You (amazing), and Space Invaders Extreme. Now, with this apparent re-design coming out, I can't wait to use it with Chrono Trigger, Moon, the new Castlevania and Kirby games, etc.

Top Bottom