• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Nintendo DS: Camera, Music Playback and confirmed by Nikkei

jts

...hate me...
Oblivion said:
I must say, it's also quite hypocritical of Nintendo to put in all these other media functions after talking about how they're only a gaming company for so long.
photochannel.jpg

jax (old)

Banned
I posted in the OCT2nd thread asking if there'd be a new DSlite. Seems like my patience has been rewarded. Nice. I'll hold off on play OOE til I get this baby :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
blu said:
well, i was merely speculating what nintendo may have already done ; )

Pfft, clearly you've not followed all these patents infringments court fights of late?
I'll back you up c'mon

fifty/fifty?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Dash Kappei said:
Pfft, clearly you've not followed all these patents infringments court fights of late?
I'll back you up c'mon
see, the thing is, i don't believe that wake-on-lan feature was thrown in just randomly ; )

fifty/fifty?
40/60 and hop in

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
There is no reason to worry about alienating DS Phat and DS Lite owners.

This new DS is obviously just a Third Pillar, and will not affect the current DS generation games or systems whatsoever.

tenritsu

Banned
Bigger screen and camera usage for games? Is this fo real?

I'm a phat user, and I'll be pretty pissed if they release games that utilize those features... which I won't be able to use.

which means I'll prolly just buckle down and buy one :\

The Hermit

TheGrayGhost said:
Is this a redesign or the next handheld from Nintendo?

pretty sure is a redesign... Nintendo won´t stop the DS until 2100.

WORLDWIDEWII said:
they can have larger screen if the the new model support the same aspect ratio as the original.

i personally hope they will remove the gap between the two screens.

It won´t. There are some games that implement the gap into the gameplay (Yoshi Island DS for example)

I also think there will be camera peripheral for the regular DS, for those concerned about being left out (around 80 millions I think...)

bdouble

I'm not so sure about this. Doesn't seem like an update that Nintendo would bother putting out. Yes they updated the GBA to SP and micro but those didn't add much functionality or new features.

Better screens and redesigns yes but I just don't think they are going to add functionallity (media functions and camera with games requiring it ect) to it when they will inevitably release a whole new handheld in the not too distant future. Not like they need to add these things when the DS is going strong right now.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Just an FYI, the English Nikkei Net version of the story features the estimated price and something I hadn't seen before. Kill if old.

It is expected to be priced below 20,000 yen, putting it in the ballpark of the 16,800 yen for the current version. Nintendo plans to offer several hundred thousand units in Japan before considering overseas sales.

It sure would be interesting if this new model was the Wii storage "solution" as well. I'd be in for a third DS. :(

tenritsu said:
Bigger screen and camera usage for games? Is this fo real?

I'm a phat user, and I'll be pretty pissed if they release games that utilize those features... which I won't be able to use.

which means I'll prolly just buckle down and buy one :\

There's a camera on sale already (although I imagine an embedded camera and one on the GBA slot would provide different viewing angles), and the bigger screen probably doesn't mean an increase in resolution. It probably just means physically bigger pixels, which I'm blown away that people are saying is "impossible". Higher resolution and bigger are two very different things.

What would be nice is if this DS had double resolution screens for non-DS game functions, but for DS games it would revert to the standard output. It would give them a lot more options for extra media functions, video chat, etc. But I think we're just going to get physically bigger screens.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Great... *sigh* well at least the Lite did have a good cycle... I wonder how much it'll cost outside Japan if it's really going to be ~$200 there.

Link1110

It is expected to be priced below 20,000 yen, putting it in the ballpark of the 16,800 yen for the current version. Nintendo plans to offer several hundred thousand units in Japan before considering overseas sales.

Before considering overseas sales? This pretty much confirms that it's a redesign and not a new system.

NotWii

Banned
Sounds great if it's a NEW system with texture filtering, WPA support, etc.

Darklord said:
You know what? Looking at this, I KNOW it is a fake.

1. Everyone has a camera or camera phone. The camera would also be dated too quickly.
2. Almost everyone has an MP3 player.
3. Releasing it this year when DS lite sales are still massive? Why?
4. Restricting games to people with only the new DS? I can't see that.
5. SD slot? With the crazy amount of piracy on the DS they would make it easier? No chance in hell.
6. Both the DS and Wii have been so big because it is a casual GAMING system. Why add multimedia crap that they won't care about?
BY THAT LOGIC
1/2. Everyone has a computer at home, why would anyone need a Photo Channel, Weather Channel, News Channel, Internet Channel, etc.

3. DS Lite sales are sort of lagging in JPN. That's the region Nintendo care to do well in.

4. Which is why I think this has to be a NEW DS, it has been 5years, it's about due time

5. Why does the Wii have a SD Card Slot? It'd make transferring saves from Wii->DS much easier and you'd be able to backup DS saves (hopefully)

6. You can have BOTH.

JaMarco

Geek said:
It sure would be interesting if this new model was the Wii storage "solution" as well.
I doubt it. What if a person already owned a DS that works perfectly fine? They have to buy a new expensive one just to get more storage on their Wii?

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Case said:
I doubt it. What if a person already owned a DS that works perfectly fine? They have to buy a new expensive one just to get more storage on their Wii?

Geeks and otaku can afford it.

donny2112

Link1110 said:
Before considering overseas sales? This pretty much confirms that it's a redesign and not a new system.

They probably don't want a bomb like GBMicro again. Let Japan test it out, and if it's a hit, bring it over.
It'll be a hit.
;)

Rpgmonkey

I like how they say they'll offer several hundred thousand to test it out...

Or is that a normal number for testing a new model?

If they're selling ""information terminal" stuff it's probably going to be something they couldn't just quickly launch in the US at the same time as Japan. Maybe they have partners for a bunch of non-gaming tools the system can do. Kobun mentioned restaurant information and so forth.

donny2112

Wii said:
4. Which is why I think this has to be a NEW DS, it has been 5years, it's about due time

GameBoy.jpg

Rpgmonkey said:

It's going to be at a premium price compared to the DS Lite. As such, they don't want to throw themselves full bore into this "Elite" model until they're sure it's wanted. The "few hundred thousand" is probably all they'll produce for launch, so that they won't have unsold stock just sitting around.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Rpgmonkey said:

Reads to me as less of a test marketing attempt than it does an attempt to prevent hardware shortages in the region.

NotWii

Banned
donny2112 said:
Exception to the CURRENT Rule

GB/GBP 1989-1998

GBC 1998-2000
GBA/GBASP/GBM 2000-2005
NDS 2004-2008 ?

Besides, Nintendo's development for NDS has trickled to a halt this year, obviously they're working on something new.

Hive

Banned
donny2112 said:
GameBoy.jpg

It's going to be at a premium price compared to the DS Lite. As such, they don't want to throw themselves full bore into this "Elite" model until they're sure it's wanted. The "few hundred thousand" is probably all they'll produce for launch, so that they won't have unsold stock just sitting around.

a lot of people are still basing their belief in a DS2 on the amount of years it's been out..

Guys, it's still making tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and TONS of money.

profit > time as a justification for introducing a new generation portable

Hope i'm making sense.. :/

Normally I would'nt post this link but someone posted it on a different site and it caught my eye since it was in japanese and the rest of the site looked kinda reliable...I dont know how reliable this site is but according to it;

It basicly lists everything we already know. It even links to neiko.

Then it goes on tosay the GBA slot is rumored to be gone.
Then it "confirms" the SD card slot and VC for the DS

Then it goes on to say a 3GB HD for the Wii is coming this year for 5800 yen. And additional content for Brawl.

Probally fake but figured I would post it anyway:

http://translate.google.com/transla...0080928/1222556693&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=ja&tl=en

Oh and Nuclear Muffin thats a pretty good mockup!

EDIT: oopps looks like I meant 5800 yen :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Eteric Rice said:
IT WOULD BE LIKE A TARDIS WITHIN A TARDIS. :eek:

If Doctor Who has taught us anything is that this would bring forth the destruction of the entire universe.

OH NOEZ WE GOTTA AVOID THIS CALAMITY

jay

The main info that leaked was that it'll have a camera, hook up to hotspots in Japan, and not be available in other markets yet. This seems to be clearly some revamped DS model and not a new handheld. That's good, because there's no reason to cut short the life span of an excellent system when great games are still coming out regularly.

MoogPaul

WiiRevolution1 said:
Normally I would'nt post this link but someone posted it on a different site and it caught my eye since it was in japanese and the rest of the site looked kinda reliable...I dont know how reliable this site is but according to it;

It basicly lists everything we already know. It even links to neiko.

Then it goes on tosay the GBA slot is rumored to be gone.
Then it "confirms" the SD card slot and VC for the DS

Then it goes on to say a 3GB HD for the Wii is coming this year for 58 yen. And additional content for Brawl.

Probally fake but figured I would post it anyway:

http://translate.google.com/transla...0080928/1222556693&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=ja&tl=en

Oh and Nuclear Muffin thats a pretty good mockup!

3Gigs... that would be a bigger cockslap than E3. I think I'd rather not have one. Although 58 yen? Isn't that like 80 cents?

MoogPaul said:
3Gigs... that would be a bigger cockslap than E3. I think I'd rather not have one. Although 58 yen? Isn't that like 80 cents?
Yea I think I meant 5800 yen. My mistake.

Tho if true I would buy it day one. 3Gigs is tons better than 256mb.

donny2112

Wii said:

GB/GBP 1989-1998

GBC 1998-2000
GBA/GBASP/GBM 2000-2005
NDS 2004-2008 ?

Nintendo groups GB and GBC together. Most of the games could be played on either system (sound familiar?). That extends the GB's timespan to 12 years, and there were still major games (e.g. DWIII) coming out after the GBA's introduction.

GBA's lifespan was truncated due to Nintendo needing to push out the DS to counteract the PSP. If you recall, the GBA consistently outsold the DS and PSP in the U.S. until the DS Lite was released.

Wii said:
Besides, Nintendo's development for NDS has trickled to a halt this year, obviously they're working on something new.

It's called the Wii. *looks at username* You might have heard of it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Wii said:

GB/GBP 1989-1998

GBC 1998-2000
GBA/GBASP/GBM 2000-2005
NDS 2004-2008 ?

They were forced to react with the Ds to the PSP. Dont be stupid. This isnt a new DS, its got too much life left, regardless of your wants and desires

DuckRacer

donny2112 said:
It's called the Wii. *looks at username* You might have heard of it.
To be fair, Nintendo's output on Wii post-Mario Kart has been anemic. And for the DS, I'm pretty sure Nintendo is large enough to develop more than a Kirby remake and a Pokemon re-release.

Duck said:
To be fair, Nintendo's output on Wii post-Mario Kart has been anemic. And for the DS, I'm pretty sure Nintendo is large enough to develop more than a Kirby remake and a Pokemon re-release.

They have in Japan (Band Bros DX, Rhythm Tengoku, Fire Emblem) but their NA/EU lineup does suck (except for Kirby of course).

WiiRevolution1 said:
Then it goes on to say a 3GB HD for the Wii is coming this year for 5800 yen. And additional content for Brawl.

El oh el. Wouldn't that be a flash drive rather than a hard drive? 3GB hard drives are so 10 years ago. Srsly, a few game demos from XBL would fill up that hard drive.

It's about time a new REAL portable system was announced by Nintendo. The Gameboy advance is getting really old. I know they released some third pilliar machine after the GBA but I'm ready for a real successor.

Some of you actually think that Nintendo would release the actual honest-to-goodness succesor to the DS (a) way before they have any reason to and (b) with less than two months lead-up?

Wow. :lol

If anything, this model makes it clear that Nintendo has no plans to replace the DS with a successor system any time soon.

Hive

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
It's about time a new REAL portable system was announced by Nintendo. The Gameboy advance is getting really old. I know they released some third pilliar machine after the GBA but I'm ready for a real successor.

why are u a Junior Member??

Jaruru

can we call it the DS 1.5 instead of 2? :p since I'm 100% sure it can play DS games.
yet it's not a new portable line. just a DS with MORE functionalities...

Azure J

Jaruru said:
can we call it the DS 1.5 instead of 2? :p since I'm 100% sure it can play DS games.
yet it's not a new portable line. just a DS with MORE functionalities...

Thing is, if you do this then the trolls will start recycling the classics a la "LOLZ Gamecube 1.5" in response.

All of this without having touched one once.

Osuwari

Death_Born said:
El oh el. Wouldn't that be a flash drive rather than a hard drive? 3GB hard drives are so 10 years ago. Srsly, a few game demos from XBL would fill up that hard drive.

flash usb drive that holds 3+ GB would be great. no clunky stuff hanging around like a big HD since flash drives are small. i got an 8GB usb flash drive for like $50.

only problem would be pirating. they probably won't enable usb drives like they haven't enabled sd cards.

Top Bottom