• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramblin

Banned
Like does this shit ever stop? I keep coming back to see if a discussion is taking place and all it is is one off trolls and bunch of hardcore xbox fans high fiving each other repeatedly with one line jokes like this over and over again, ugh jesus.

High five!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Yep, I did remember correctly.
SuperDAE also said those specs were 9 months old and wrote at least one comment implying there's something else we don't know/he didn't leak and made it sound like it could turn things around.
Just so people don't get their hopes up:
The first VGLeak for PS4 was in June 2012 where the specs were called 10 months old.
The TFlops amount never changed between June 2012 (-10 Months / Q3 2011) and the thing is launching Q4 2013.

This doesn't mean Microsoft won't have better specs than the leaks, but it's not a given that they will dramatically improve either.

Izick

It becoming a rumor specs warz (not even a fully confirmed spec warz, which is shitty in its own right) and "Microsoft makes no games. They don't care about the gamer no mo'." thread isn't healthy discussion to me, especially when the same points are just clearly and effectively rebutted by several people ad-nauseum.

Reiko

Banned
The first VGLeak for PS4 was in June 2012 where the specs were called 10 months old.
The TFlops amount never changed between June 2012 (-10 Months / Q3 2011) and the thing is launching Q4 2013.

This doesn't mean Microsoft won't have better specs than the leaks, but it's not a given that they will dramatically improve either.

I wonder if the Xbox Reveal crow thread will be bigger than the PS4 crow thread.

Ramblin

Banned
It becoming a rumor specs warz (not even a fully confirmed spec warz, which is shitty in its own right) and "Microsoft makes no games. They don't care about the gamer no mo'." thread isn't healthy discussion to me, especially when the same points are just clearly and effectively rebutted by several people ad-nauseum.

High Five!

Izick

High Five!

eF8kh6w.gif

benny_a

I wonder if the Xbox Reveal crow thread will be bigger than the PS4 crow thread.
Only because one side actual makes statements. I don't think it's fair to call others out on "eating crow" on any topic if you never take a stance on anything. Because then you can just retroactively say whatever you said was right all along.

I've made my statement in this thread. Now you do yours.

See I was right.
About what?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yeah, do we know exactly where it's taking place? I'd be interested to know how big the venue is, how many people are going, etc...

It's a small venue (as per aaron greenberg)

It's on campus, so the likeliness of being able to hold more than a hundred to two hundred people is unlikely

I think its going to be closer to surface unveil as opposed to the PS4 unveil or e3 conferences

I prefer anything to MTV unveil though, that was an atrocity

Ramblin

Banned
Only because one side actual makes statements. I don't think it's fair to call others out on "eating crow" on any topic if you never take a stance on anything. Because then you can just retroactively say whatever you said was right all along.

About what?

we can't lose... Either way it will be an epic day on GAF. Going to be hilarious.

Since when are 404's funny?

Ramblin

Banned
And by not taking a stance you don't get to call anyone out later. That is all.

This is a message board, you don't need a license, you don't need to vote to bitch about politics, all you need is an internet connection, you don't even need a brian.

OrangeOak

And by not taking a stance you don't get to call anyone out later. That is all.

Why do you think he wants to call anyone ?
There is a lot of posts from both sides so it is obvious that there will be a lot crow eaten from someone.
It's not like he knows something ?

DopeyFish

When is the last time a huge amount of crow was served because of a conference? I'm not really getting the anticipation for it.

And as much as any one person tries to push specs, that's all they are... Specs. Performance potential, Not performance actuals.

There really hasn't been any crow serving conferences except MS 2004 and 2007? (EA on XBL and FFXIII... Both content)

Even xbox 360 had really iffy showings before launch... It's hard to gauge anything until you have it in your hands

eso76

when someone said 'ps4 better' DAE commented 'LOL if you only knew...'.
Anyway, DAE aside, i don't expect to be surprised by the final specs, I think we more or less know everything.
But I do think MS has something rather big, something innovative and surprising to show.

benny_a

This is a message board, you don't need a license, you don't need to vote to bitch about politics, all you need is an internet connection, you don't even need a brian.

Why do you think he wants to call anyone ?
There is a lot of posts from both sides so it is obvious that there will be a lot crow eaten from someone.
It's not like he knows somethig ?
As I said before I think if you have an opinion about something like this and you just stand on the sidelines just to come back later to say "Told you so" (which crow serving is) without having taken a stance yourself, that's weak. :p

I think the next Xbox won't be impressive from a hardware perspective but the software (OS and games) will be MS focus and they will shine on it.
There are lots of cool shit they can do. What would "wow" me software wise would be switching between games without having to load them again. You suspend a game and can continue later while having a different game running in between. Essentially you would only see the company logo once per game.

Mik_Pad

Banned
I think the next Xbox won't be impressive from a hardware perspective but the software (OS and games) will be MS focus and they will shine on it.

PhatSaqs

Banned
When is the last time a huge amount of crow was served because of a conference? I'm not really getting the anticipation for it.
Tthe last time there was this huge of an expectation that a hardware company was going to shit the bed at a conference. And even if there is something comparable, it won't matter.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
when someone said 'ps4 better' DAE commented 'LOL if you only knew...'.
Anyway, DAE aside, i don't expect to be surprised by the final specs, I think we more or less know everything.
But I do think MS has something rather big, something innovative and surprising to show.

DAE then proceeded to say that the leaked specs that he released to Kotaku were accurate...which are lower than PS4's specs.

I don't find him to be a trustworthy source, and he even says openly that he does not like Sony.

Cidd

I can't wait to see what side of the aisle will be eating the most crow, It will be fun to watch the tornado that takes place after MS conference.

Xenon

So you are calling people out for not making statements about something the don't have any solid information about. Then you imply somehow that fact should exclude you from eating crow on a statement you made based on rumors. Okie dokie.

DAE then proceeded to say that the leaked specs that he released to Kotaku were accurate...which are lower than PS4's specs.

I don't find him to be a trustworthy source, and he even says openly that he does not like Sony.

You don't have to like someone to provide reliable info. Bkilian doesn't like Microsoft. Should we ignore him too?

Izick

I really hope we see Fallout 4 on the Nextbox or both consoles, because I just came back to Skyrim after about a year from not playing it and holy shit is it awesome.

Well there's the problem.

benny_a

So you are calling people out for not making statements about something the don't have any solid information about. Then you imply somehow that fact should exclude you from eating crow on a statement you made based on rumors. Okie dokie.
I didn't mean to imply that at any point and don't see where I did. But I didn't mean to imply it either way.

Just because there will be an eventual Xbox Infinity eat crow thread here are my predictions:

Hardware is the same as was reported by the recent VG leaks rumors: 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 8 core jaguar, Custom AMD GPU, 1.2 Tflops, 32 MB ESRAM. 1.5-2 GB are reserved for OS/kinect functions. Kinect 2 will shop with every console. No BC, no Xbox360 SoC.
BALLSY! ;-)

DopeyFish

Specs are specs, like an outline what it's potentially capable of, not what it IS capable of. Otherwise why the need for benchmarks.

If you honestly think that 1.8 TF GPU is hitting even 1.5 TF, would you like some snake oil? I'm selling some.

derFeef

I personally think that guy is full of shit, but that's a terrible way to measure his integrity.

Mario007

Just because there will be an eventual Xbox Infinity eat crow thread here are my predictions:

Hardware is the same as was reported by the recent VG leaks rumors: 8 GB DDR3 RAM, 8 core jaguar, Custom AMD GPU, 1.2 Tflops, 32 MB ESRAM. 1.5-2 GB are reserved for OS/kinect functions. Kinect 2 will shop with every console. No BC, no Xbox360 SoC.

If you honestly think that 1.8 TF GPU is hitting even 1.5 TF, would you like some snake oil? I'm selling some.
Harsh truths cut both ways, Ser Davos. Same can be said about a 1.2TF GPU not hitting even 0.9 TF GPU (I subtracte 0.3 TF simply to stay consistent).

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
You don't have to like someone to provide reliable info. Bkilian doesn't like Microsoft. Should we ignore him too?

I'm not ignoring him because he doesn't like Sony.

I'm ignoring him because the information that he has released to the public has not been consistent. But based on his tweets he comes across as a really immature troll at times.

DopeyFish

Harsh truths cut both ways, Ser Davos. Same can be said about a 1.2TF GPU not hitting even 0.9 TF GPU (I subtracte 0.3 TF simply to stay consistent).

Why do you think the DMEs and ESRAM is there?

To hit close to its potential... When the CU is waiting on memory access, reading or writing, its idling. ESRAM for memory access time, DMEs for reading and writing. Not going to be 100% but it will be close. (Relative to where GPUs are today)

Mario007

BALLSY! ;-)
Haha well it's realistic though I'd obviously would have preferred a higher GPU, if only for the multiplatform games to be able to set a much higher standard. I'd be gladly proven wrong though, for this exact reason.

To hit close to its potential... When the CU is waiting on memory access, reading or writing, its idling. ESRAM for memory access time, DMEs for reading and writing. Not going to be 100% but it will be close.
No, this 100% efficiency dream that some may have is really just a dream. DME and ESRAM are there to offset the lower bandwith of the DDR3. The console is pretty much designed around the DDR3 and I'm pretty sure at one point it was MS's trump card, having 8GB of RAM in a console is HUGE after all. To have this they had to work around the disadvantage of the DDR3 and thus ESRAM and Move Engines were used to transfer data and help to increase the bandwith. PS4 doesn't have these because it didn't need as Sony chose to prioritise bandwith and unified RAM pool over the RAM amount. They ended up getting lucky with the chip densitities and clampshell design that allowed them to increase their RAM amount to 8GB, but they easily could have shipped the console with just 4GB since they were clearly targeting GDDR5 for the ps4 (in fact at one point we know the devkits only had 2 GB of RAM). Different strategies to achieve their results as each console shows the differing design philosophy.

TheKayle

Banned

DAE then proceeded to say that the leaked specs on vgleaks (clearly based on superdae leaks) r old and for this reason ps4 specs look better

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

To hit close to its potential... When the CU is waiting on memory access, reading or writing, its idling. ESRAM for memory access time, DMEs for reading and writing. Not going to be 100% but it will be close.

They're there to mitigate bandwidth deficiencies by going with DDR3

DopeyFish

They're there to mitigate bandwidth deficiencies by going with DDR3

No, they aren't. DMEs use same memory paths. It's function is alleviate the R/W function from the GPU and CPU (whichever desired)

ESRAM is for latency

They could take same transistor budget and built 256 MB EDRAM with a throughput of 6TB/s, but they chose latency over bandwidth

benny_a

Haha well it's realistic though I'd obviously would have preferred a higher GPU, if only for the multiplatform games to be able to set a much higher standard. I'd be gladly proven wrong though, for this exact reason.

If I'm honest that's what I would go with as well, but I still have hope, that's why I'm going with 1.6Tflops, rest the same as yours. (Even though that was called in question due to a 12 CU config would run too hot and I don't know about the feasibility of a 14 CU setup due to die space.)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why can't you guys all be friends and excited together for the next generation of consoles that Nintendo failed to deliver us?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
as much as its probs not gonna happen, id love if the xbox was like completey different to the rumors spec wise, instead of amd it was nvidia and stuff like that (like the first ever rumor was ) just to see everyone go batshit crazy. but i think its pretty much confirmed what its gonna be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom