• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
You know that it's alright to be in a neutral position right?

I'm not hoping for anything I just literally don't know and I'm waiting to find out.
I think it is neutral to assume that Kotaku and Edge and other's information is correct for the moment.
I've read the reasoning why it was easier for Orbis to up the RAM (which Edge called a month before) and why it would be a hurdle to do a similar thing for Durango. (Not that the RAM needs changing, that is fine. It's the GPU that is lacking more comparatively.)

As soon as games are announced I won't give a shit any more, as Baconsammy says "content is king."
But rumored and hypothetical specs are all there is at the moment. :p

TheKayle

Banned
Didn't Vgleaks specifically say that they're information was from 2013.

SuperDAE has even said that nothing has changed.

for me vgleaks isnt the bible ...of the holy truth....i think they know less than what they show
superdae say also multiple times durango>ps4

FordGTGuy

Banned
I think it is neutral to assume that Kotaku and Edge and other's

You have a very odd definition of neutral...

Believe in the rumors - Neutral(Don't Know) - Don't believe in the rumors.

Assuming that Edge and Kotaku(lol) rumors are true is definitely not a neutral position.

benny_a

You have a very odd definition of neutral...

Believe in the rumors - Neutral(Don't Know) - Don't believe in the rumors.
Even if you don't know, you believe something.
Knowledge and Belief are orthogonal concepts.

I know specs leaked. I'm hopeful they got slightly bumped. That's my stance.

artist

Banned
lol FordGTGuy explaining the definition of being neutral? He's as biased as they come, was trying to spin that Windows 8 was a success.

edit: Being neutral means no cherry picking. If you believe a source then you cant cherry pick stories according to your liking.

Nice strawman bro.

100 million sales and on pace with Windows 7, no longer considered successful.
lol okay. Better show up in those Win 8 sales threads in the OT. ;)

Welcome to my ignore list.
Well that escalated quickly. :lol

FordGTGuy

Banned
lol FordGTGuy explaining the definition of being neutral? He's as biased as they come, was trying to spin that Windows 8 was a success.

Nice strawman bro.

100 million sales and on pace with Windows 7, no longer considered successful.

BTW it took Vista 15 months to hit 100 million sales.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Even if you don't know, you believe something.
Knowledge and Belief are orthogonal concepts.

I know specs leaked. I'm hopeful they got slightly bumped. That's my stance.

No I don't I have a disbelief and I'm waiting to find out what is true when it's announced.

It's a logical fallacy to say that someone has to believe in something.

In other words I don't believe that the rumors are true and I don't believe that they aren't true, I don't know.

Into

I think it is neutral to assume that Kotaku and Edge and other's information is correct for the moment.
I've read the reasoning why it was easier for Orbis to up the RAM (which Edge called a month before) and why it would be a hurdle to do a similar thing for Durango.

Its EDGE in particular that i believe in when it comes to rumors, which is why i am still unsure what is going on with this always online debacle, last week there was a new rumor saying it wont be always online, yet EDGE seemed so sure. No real evidence or even a hint to either.

That is the only reason why i am slightly worried and cautious, i never expected Sony to do it with PS4, even though they had a patent for anti used games and such. But with MS i am still unsure..

If they confirm it is not always online i can finally relax and not worry about it. I do not care that it might be less powerful than the PS4. PS1 was a better console than N64 and PS2 was a better console than GC or Xbox, at least in terms of sheer volume of games, so power does not mean jack.

Spongebob

Banned
and what are they if you dont mind me asking.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised with the ''hardcore'' content on the durango, afterall they have plenty of new devs( 343,blacktusk, and some other i cant remember) plus there rumored to be aggressively getting 3rd party exclusives and DLC.

I think the idea that games will become an afterthought on the durango is pretty ludicrous

if sony spends $300 million on exclusives then so will MS but MS will spend another $300 mill on other stuff to.
Even with Kinect not being bundled in every 360 SKU we still saw a massive Kinect focus from MS towards the end of this generation that resulted in arguably some of the most cringe worthy E3 conferences that we've seen to date. How bad will it get when MS are building a console from the ground-up with Kinect as one of it's founding pillars?

I'm also not a fan of paying for online play and having advertisements splashed all over my console UI. I'm glad that it seems as though nextbox won't be always online, but the rumors of used games not being allowed are still up in the air.

While I'm sure some people care about exclusive DLC, personally I don't bother with DLC. Aside from Respawn's game (a shooter), I haven't heard about MS securing any other third party exclusives.

benny_a

Its EDGE in particular that i believe in when it comes to rumors, which is why i am still unsure what is going on with this always online debacle, last week there was a new rumor saying it wont be always online, yet EDGE seemed so sure. No real evidence or even a hint to either.
Things can change. I hope the outrage and the failure of SimCity and such helped change their minds.

That is the only reason why i am slightly worried and cautious, i never expected Sony to do it with PS4, even though they had a patent for anti used games and such. But with MS i am still unsure.
I was always of the opinion that they both do it or none of them do it. Maybe the leaks were them signaling to each other that they should do it and then Sony said they won't do it at the reveal and the interviews afterwards. This in turn means MS won't do it either.
(In addition to the huge issue in Europe of trying to pull that off.)

If they confirm it is not always online i can finally relax and not worry about it. I do not care that it might be less powerful than the PS4. PS1 was a better console than N64 and PS2 was a better console than GC or Xbox, at least in terms of sheer volume of games, so power does not mean jack.
The latest rumor put me at ease about mandatory internet connection.

artist

Banned

That is the only reason why i am slightly worried and cautious, i never expected Sony to do it with PS4, even though they had a patent for anti used games and such. But with MS i am still unsure..

At this point, Edge and VGLeaks have forked on the always online thing. Both have been pretty accurate in the past as well.

So at this point, I'm going with VGLeaks that the always online rumor is false and Edge got that wrong (or it was changed later?). Either way, there are only a limited amount of credible sources and at this late stage in the game, they must be scrambling with their sources for new info.

TheKayle

Banned
Didn't Vgleaks specifically say that they're information was from 2013.

SuperDAE has even said that nothing has changed.

i find the tweet

https://twitter.com/superDaE/status/298786387098992640

DAE
‏@superDaE
"Durango info released in past was old, which, when Orbis info came out, made Orbis look a whole lot better. Derp."

the leaks came from him right?

ps. with this i dont wanna poin that nextbox will be better than ps4.....we ened just to wait and the most smart thing is to trust that they will be on + or - same level

RayMaker

Banned
Even with Kinect not being bundled in every 360 SKU we still saw a massive Kinect focus from MS towards the end of this generation that resulted in arguably some of the most cringe worthy E3 conferences that we've seen to date. How bad will it get when MS are building a console from the ground-up with Kinect as one of it's founding pillars?

I'm also not a fan of paying for online play and having advertisements splashed all over my console UI. I'm glad that it seems as though nextbox won't be always online, but the rumors of used games not being allowed are still up in the air.

While I'm sure some people care about exclusive DLC, personally I don't bother with DLC. Aside from Respawn's game (a shooter), I haven't heard about MS securing any other third party exclusives.

I agree with all of that, at the moment PS4 is looking like my next gen console of choice but I dont think the durango is going to as bad as some ppl are making it out to be on here

I doubt it will be anything like the differences we have seen in previous generations.

I think it will be quite similar to the current generation but some roles maybe reversed.

and if the respawn game is exclucive + a blacktusk game+ryse+halo+forza+rare games, it seems that MS exclusive lineup will be as good or maybe better then sony's for both hardcore and casual crowds

All signs point to SuperDAE actually being right about most everything. Edge posts their lame always-online rumor, to which SuperDAE responds "That's bullshit". More sites report that used games will be blocked. SuperDAE also calls it bullshit. Gamestop CEO rants about the need for used games, decries any console that would block them. Month later after a meeting with Microsoft Gamestop CEO magically singing the praises of the next Xbox. Rumors. And yes, if you believe SuperDAE's belief that always online and no-used-games were bullshit, then you also believe the current NextXbox specs everyone is talking about. Because he provided them. I expect no surprises when it comes to specs next week.

Spongebob

Banned
I agree with all of that, at the moment PS4 is looking at my next gen console of choice but I dont think the durango is going to as bad as some ppl are making it out to be on here

I doubt it will be anything like the differences we have seen in previous generations.

I think it will be quite similar to the current generation but some roles maybe reversed.
The average Joe won't be able to tell the difference between a PS4 and XB3 game (which is all that matters), but I imagine that people who game more frequently will be able to tell the differences in IQ and smoother frame rates on the PS4.

With nearly identical architectures, utilizing the extra 50% more power on the PS4 will be simple.

Into

Its possible that the 720 will work sort of like Steam, rather than your connection goes boom and game instantly freezes with a spinning picture of Don Mattrick laughing in your face, telling you to fix your internet connection as previously thought.

Like Eurogamer said:

The document remains cagey about certain aspects of the installation process, so it's possible that one will still need an internet connection to install and activate a game online, but then be able to access the content offline for subsequent playthroughs ala Steam.

Luckily we wont have to speculate much anymore

ekim

Join the fun. Make some statements. Being on the sidelines is lame.

Afaik all the leaked HW specs are from early 2012. If VGLeaks claims otherwise, they are lying. They had exactly one source for their interesting leaks. IMHO MS developed 2-3, mostly similar in base architecture, systems in parallel to be prepared for Sony's machine. And yes - the other 2 options could be less powerful than the specs that we know as of now.

Izick

I want to play DA 2 before the next one comes out. Everyone shit talks it, but then again everyone shit talked Mass Effect 3 and it was an awesome game with a mediocre ending. The only thing I disliked that I felt like some of the experience was locked to DLC. From Ashes in particular.

iMax

This was in response to TheKayle who claimed that they're information was 18 months old.

I know. See my post:

Oh but wait, this guy told me that these specs are correct as of January 2013!!
What do you think's more likely?

a) the specifications haven't changed since the early dev kit leak.
b) Microsoft is firmly executing its NDA on people, drying up sources' information sources.

artist

Banned
All signs point to SuperDAE actually being right about most everything. Edge posts their lame always-online rumor, to which SuperDAE responds "That's bullshit". More sites report that used games will be blocked. SuperDAE also calls it bullshit. Gamestop CEO rants about the need for used games, decries any console that would block them. Month later after a meeting with Microsoft Gamestop CEO magically singing the praises of the next Xbox. Rumors. And yes, if you believe SuperDAE's belief that always online and no-used-games were bullshit, then you also believe the current NextXbox specs everyone is talking about. Because he provided them. I expect no surprises when it comes to specs next week.
He has also flip flopped ..

I want to play DA 2 before the next one comes out. Everyone shit talks it, but then again everyone shit talked Mass Effect 3 and it was an awesome game with a mediocre ending. The only thing I disliked that I felt like some of the experience was locked to DLC. From Ashes in particular.

It's not a bad game. It's also not a great game. The cut-and-paste dungeons were a complete and utter joke, though.

benny_a

I know. See my post:
Push comes to shove. WHO HAS THE MOST FLOPS OUT OF THE TWO. The decision must be made now!

It's not a bad game. It's also not a great game. The cut-and-paste dungeons were a complete and utter joke, though.
Those cut-and-paste dungeons are not an issue the first 8 hours but then it's just the laziest repetition and a total bummer.

MasLegio

Banned
Its like this, PS4 is Superman, Xbox 720 is Batman. Superman maybe more powerful, but Batman is way cooler.

xbox 720 with kinect 2.0
movies_batman_and_robin_1.jpg

Moze

Banned
of course third party exclusives are good for business but i just cant agree that they are good for gamers

will be disappointed if MS really is going to publishers like EA and paying them to make their games exclusive

Ramblin

Banned
of course third party exclusives are good for business but i just cant agree that they are good for gamers

will be disappointed if MS really is going to publishers like EA and paying them to make their games exclusive

It's just bad for poor gamers. If a company can focus on one console we should get a better game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom