• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Xbox Reveal Set For May 21, 10:00 A.M. PST, Livestreamed

Status
Not open for further replies.
if ppl think that ms will let sony go on the market with 50% of more power
they just live on mars

console need to be on market at least for 5 years...

Well I mean Wii U makes it look like a friggin alien technology, it's not bad at all. I think most fans are just dissapointed since Xbox brand has always been a mark of very powerful console. That was the deal with the OG Xbox especially and for 2005 machine so was 360 and it definately gave PS3 a run for its money with multiplats. The rumors make the console feel powerful but toned down to get that Kinect in there. Probably a good idea but dissapointing for the old Xbox group.

If Microsoft doesn't mention specs then they have pretty much changed for good.

Spongebob

Banned
I'm hoping for betrayals during E3. Like MS getting Metal Gear and Final Fantasy exclusively and Sony getting Gears of War. I'm buying both consoles, so I can be an asshole like that.
GAF would completely meltdown if that happened. Though the current rumor is that FF is going to be exclusive on PS again.

I doubt they mention the specs, if they do it will be just a bullet point. The mass market doesn't care as long as the machine can run the likes of Cod and Fifa.

Specs dont get you on the news. CoD reveal and showing the console gets you on the news. There's really no other reason to do a public reveal.

artist

Banned
I'm hoping for betrayals during E3. Like MS getting Metal Gear and Final Fantasy exclusively and Sony getting Gears of War. I'm buying both consoles, so I can be an asshole like that.
Apt username. :lol

they just live on mars

ill never trust this until i see
The most powerful console has never won the generation so far. Seems like a good strategy.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
This thread has gotten amazing.

"I'm not a Sony fan, MS could still blow me away on the 21st"

"I don't see how they could blow away the Michelangelo's David of consoles."

-James Sawyer Ford.

Nice logic there, my friend.

PS4 already blew me away.

720 has the ability to blow me away as well.

Which is not the same as "blowing PS4 out of the water". 720 could have an outstanding announcement that gets me excited for its launch and not blow PS4 out of the water. The statements aren't linked.

Into

Same, tough i am very worried about any company that decides to make their game exclusive, especially in this climate, with these rising costs, on consoles that wont have much of a user base.

If i had to guess Fallout 4 and Respawns game could be timed exclusives, but they do not really fit the bill of betrayaltons, most Sony users dislike Bethesda for the shoddy ports of Fallout, Oblivion and especially Skyrim.

For Sony i expect FF15/Versus/Whatever it is called to be exclusive, but like the above, i do not think most Xbox fans will really care, considering the questionable quality of FF game as of late

Spongebob

Banned
they just live on mars

ill never trust this until i see
MS focus this time around will be more on entertainment and delivering apps. They don't need the most powerful specs to do this, all they need are competent specs that are competitive with the PS4 (which the current leaked specs are).

Somnia

I'm a few pages behind (thread is moving too fast) and judging by the number of people who had to breakdown a simple math equation for you, I thought it was quite hilarious.

It made sense what they were talking about when they brought it up, I didn't take it that way at first, I thought they were saying it was overall xx%, sorry for misunderstanding and only 1 person had to explain it to me I got it as soon as they said it, thanks for being a straight up dick though.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
They watched and mainstream reception to Sony's event was pretty tepid. I'm a nerd so I found the presentation interesting, but from a marketing perspective I thought the event was terribly conceived and executed.

It managed to be one of the most watched youtube videos for that month.

I think it was pretty well executed and marketed to the base that Sony is going after.

Mainstream press harped on lack of console showing, derp. Who cares.

think we will see a pretty similar hardware setup
only way i'd MS going with a less powerfull box, would be because of going for a lower pricepoints then Sony

Izick

Specs dont get you on the news. CoD reveal and showing the console gets you on the news. There's really no other reason to do a public reveal.

Yeah. Microsoft is aiming to get front paged on every major news site with this announcement, so they're going to make sure the event is big, event-filled and exciting.

Specs only excite very few people compared to the masses that are going to watch/hear about this event.

Is that an exclusive or punishment?

An exclusive punishment maybe?

RayMaker

Banned
You don't know why a GPU that is 33% weaker won't be able to produce graphics on par with the PS4?

Please tell me that you're trolling.

Edit: I'm also not sure why you're comparing Gen 1 PS4 games running on alpha hardware to tech demos.

So your saying nextbox exclusives wont look technically as good as driveclub and killzone:sf?

and whats wrong with comparing gen1 PS4 games to tech demos and BF4? while the DC+SF are impressive they do not completely blow my socks off and tell me the next generation is here!

You seem awfully sensitive to my observation, whats wrong?

They should,then they will be suspect on hiding potentially inferior hardware. One way or another someone will find out.

Outside of the 5-10 people on GAF constantly talking about numbers, who really cares though? If they're hiding anything, the third parties will let it slip once the reveal is over and the shackles/muzzles come off.

jaypah

Sony did it and the masses were watching,they got high numbers.

Oh, the masses saw it. I just don't think the majority cared. You can make the masses watch a man juggling lemons (he can't hold them all) but it doesn't mean they understand why you're showing it to them. I doubt MS will go in depth about the specs, partly because they don't need to and partly because I don't think they can win a straight-up comparison. But as I'm buying it anyway it'd be nice to be surprised!

Izick

Isn't Final Fantasy doing pretty poorly nowadays?

Would think they would want to be on every platform possible.

People argue that FF XIII sold well, but I don't think the initial fall-off is going to be the game that sells poorly. I don't think the games after that have done too well in terms of sales.

With that said, I think Square can definitely redeem that brand with a good game again.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Because nobody else is putting down some dollars I think they will have bumped it a bit.

1.6TFlops GPU with 8GB DDR3 + 32MB eSRAM.
CPU identical to rumored PS4

Edit: If either 1.6 (which I just made up) or 1.23 is true, it won't be revealed until DF makes an analysis later in the year. I don't think they will include that information in their released specification, if they intend to release those on the 21st.
This is what I think as well. A bit of a bump but nothing huge. I also expect the OS reserve to be much smaller than rumored.

Spongebob

Banned

Final Fantasy XIII still managed to sell something like 7m copies. The brand has definitely been damaged, but it still holds some weight.

The rumor is that Sony are co-developing/financing FF XV.

It managed to be one of the most watched youtube videos for that month.

I think it was pretty well executed and marketed to the base that Sony is going after.

Mainstream press harped on lack of console showing, derp. Who cares.

I think you agree with me A lot of people watched and mainstream outlets left (rightfully, IMO) disappointed. I really don't think that's what Sony was after.

Into

There was some rumbling about Sony helping finance Versus, which is heavily rumored to be FF15 now

Final Fantasy Versus XIII Will Not be Released on Xbox? Sony Gains Exclusivity

Several details revealed that Final Fantasy Versus XIII becomes exclusive to Sony PlayStation 4 and will not be released on Xbox. A report details the financial help from Sony to Square Enix for Final Fantasy XIII development.

According to Game Blog, Sony Computer Entertainment is helping Square Enix financially transition the game to the next-generation system. The rumours spreading which claims that game has been cancelled are all untrue and assuring the game's release to both PS4 and PS3.

http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/4611...rsus-xiii-will-released-xbox.htm#.UY6T5ErYFmE

Obviously rumors, but if it does happen to be true, people should not be shocked.

Frillen

I want Versus as a Durango title now, just to see Spongebob's and other people's meltdown. FFXIII meltdown is the best yet, closely followed by DQIX.

Izick

I just pray to everything I hold holy that Microsoft and Sony have Blast Processing 2.0. Going to be hard to compete with the SEGA Spectrum without it.

Spongebob

Banned
I want Versus as a Durango title now, just to see Spongebob's and other people's meltdown. FFXIII meltdown is the best yet, closely followed by DQIX.
I honestly couldn't care what platforms the game comes to, I just want to play it.

If Sony really are co-developing/financing it, then it's going to be a PS4 exclusive.

Versus is done by different people than XIII. Mainline games have always been different. They can ''save'' the brand if the game delivers just like they did with IX and X after poorly received VIII.

Or of course it could be even worse than XIII and the brand could fall into irrelevancy for good.

TheKayle

Banned
Well I mean Wii U makes it look like a friggin alien technology, it's not bad at all. I think most fans are just dissapointed since Xbox brand has always been a mark of very powerful console. That was the deal with the OG Xbox especially and for 2005 machine so was 360 and it definately gave PS3 a run for its money with multiplats. The rumors make the console feel powerful but toned down to get that Kinect in there. Probably a good idea but dissapointing for the old Xbox group.

If Microsoft doesn't mention specs then they have pretty much changed for good.

nintendo isnt microsoft
nintendo isnt sony
nintendo is nintendo

thinkin about how much the wii gone good on the market...also sony could follow nintendos way.....make psn a paywall like xbl..etc etc....and being the company in the most economical trouble that "wii way" would fit exactly in their pants...but they didnt....coz their customers know sony as a console for hardcore players....

companies dont change their vision and change direction with a 180*....also if they would most of the time they know they cant

xbox customers (MOST of them) want a powerful console
a console that after 3 years compared with the ps4 (direct rival) would make them still say ...."i did right to buy a xbox"

ms know as everyone in the market know...that casual gamers arent the one that keep the console alive buying every game they put on the market......casual consumer come and go....and ms pointed at them just at the end of the x360 cycle honesly in a stage where the market was stagnat..so was a good GOOD idea...

they will do the same again.....

1-4 years...initially pushing the consoel for the hardcore gamers

then wll start pushing more on the casuals...like they did with the x360

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
How do you know it will be the better version?
I'm going by the rumors that have existed for months that involved developers as sources and devkits as leaks.

I don't know it to be true, but right now it seems to be the safer bet than hoping that Durango is stronger than PS4.

Ramblin

Banned
If you think that I'm a Sony fanboy then you're sadly mistaken.

Many here on GAF know that I was very critical of Sony and Orbis prior to the PS meeting. Hopefully like Sony, MS will also quell my fears and concerns.

I don't think my fears will be quelled until both systems are on the market for a while.

iMax

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. In all likely hood with nextbox were going to get a 1.23TFLOPS GPU with DDR3 memory.

I think you've missed my point.

Designing a console is something that takes years, changing something as significant as the CPU, GPU, and or memory configuration is something that would result in a 1+ year delay, that's just how these things work.

How can you publicly delay something that doesn't officially exist? Also, if that's the case, maybe it was delayed?

With 12CUs you would need to clock the GPU at 1.04GHz to reach 1.6TFLOPS. This would result in a GPU that is uses significantly more power and as a result produce a lot more heat.

The other option would be to increase the # of CUs, but for that to happen changes to the APU would have to be made which would result in a large delay.

So those rumours about Durango overheating...

FordGTGuy

Banned
I'm going by the rumors that have existed for months that involved developers as sources and devkits as leaks.

I don't know it to be true, but right now it seems to be the safer bet than hoping that Durango is stronger than PS4.

You know that it's alright to be in a neutral position right?

I'm not hoping for anything I just literally don't know and I'm waiting to find out.

TheKayle

Banned
MS focus this time around will be more on entertainment and delivering apps. They don't need the most powerful specs to do this, all they need are competent specs that are competitive with the PS4 (which the current leaked specs are).

u basing an entire marketing strategy build up on a unconfirmed 1.5 years old leak that is on vgleaks....who no one know where it came from??

cmon i think this is too much

an opposite strategy could work too eh...sony is in big financial problem...in this years ms gained and take big parts of their market

this would be the right time to hit them hard...

Into

I'm really interested in the OS/UI. Games will be there but how will Xbox LIVE 3.0 will be implemented is what I want to know.

I hope they improve some of the most basic things, just wanting to message one of my friends is annoying. It takes so long because the menus are so freaking slow (obviously old ass console that the 360 is now), pulling up the menu, finding them etc. its just slow and archaic

Especially since we are used to having phones today that are super fast, on my Iphone 5 i never have to wait or experience delays just sending a message or messing around with menus.

RayMaker

Banned
If you think that I'm a Sony fanboy then you're sadly mistaken.

Many here on GAF know that I was very critical of Sony and Orbis prior to the PS meeting. Hopefully like Sony, MS will also quell my fears and concerns.

and what are they if you dont mind me asking.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised with the ''hardcore'' content on the durango, afterall they have plenty of new devs( 343,blacktusk, and some other i cant remember) plus there rumored to be aggressively getting 3rd party exclusives and DLC.

I think the idea that games will become an afterthought on the durango is pretty ludicrous

if sony spends $300 million on exclusives then so will MS but MS will spend another $300 mill on other stuff to.

Spongebob

Banned
u basing an entire marketing strategy build up on a unconfirmed 1.5 years old leak that is on vgleaks....who no one know where it came from??

cmon i think this is too much

i think is just the opposite...sony is in big financial problem...in this years ms gained and take big parts of their market

this is the right time to hit them hard...
Didn't Vgleaks specifically say that they're information was from 2013.

SuperDAE has even said that nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom