• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 4 |OT| Quality for everyone

Groof

Not the sparks. When it came out, the backside of the phone was completely flat. I have this one. Without anything on it, it slides around.

They updated it not long after with tiny little nubs of ruber on the back to give it a bit more grip and to not let it slide around as much.

They didn't help that much tbh. After sending mine in for warranty purposes they sent it back with one of the new backs. Still slid around like nobody's business.

I'm updating to 5.1.1 right now. I'll need to give it a day or two before I can figure out if my battery life improved or not.

I wonder what else got changed. Gotta reroot too...thanks wugfresh!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Not the sparks. When it came out, the backside of the phone was completely flat. I have this one. Without anything on it, it slides around.

They updated it not long after with tiny little nubs of ruber on the back to give it a bit more grip and to not let it slide around as much.

They didn't help that much tbh. After sending mine in for warranty purposes they sent it back with one of the new backs. Still slid around like nobody's business.

As far as I know, the nubs were never for sliding around. What I heard is that since the back was super flat, it would lay super flat (obviously) against desks and stuff. Since the phone gets fairly hot and stone/glass desks are cold, the shock would crack the glass. With the nubs, there's enough distance from the surface and the cracks stopped.

That's the argument I heard for when they were introduced anyway.

http://www.androidcentral.com/confirmed-nexus-4-now-shipping-updated-design said:
This small design change has a couple of effects. It lifts phone up ever so slightly, allowing sound to escape the flush speaker. We can confirm that sounds are a little fuller and louder. Not a great deal, but we can tell. The change also should help keep the glass back from getting the little hairline scratches it's been prone to pick up.

And perhaps more important, it should keep the ultra-slick phone from sliding off any similarly slick surfaces

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Aw, this thread is back :) And for such a bummer reason :/

I'm still using my OG N4 every day for everything, still loving it except for the stupid silver painted plastic frame, the color came off everywhere and it just ruins the look of the whole thing now. No problems with glass, non-existing nubs or battery though.

Just a few days ago I ran into my first serious problem, screen went all red/green/flickering and after that I was stuck with a weird zoomed-out main screen on the actual screen. Completely wiped/recovered the thing and everythings fine again, plus I have a decent amount of free space again.

I'll probably look for something new at some point I guess, but for now it's doing alright still.

Groof

As far as I know, the nubs were never for sliding around. What I heard is that since the back was super flat, it would lay super flat (obviously) against desks and stuff. Since the phone gets fairly hot and stone/glass desks are cold, the shock would crack the glass. With the nubs, there's enough distance from the surface and the cracks stopped.

That's the argument I heard for when they were introduced anyway.

That would make sense. Then again, my phone is mostly in my hands so I don't notice these things lol.

Goldrush

I went through two Nexus 4. One got caught in the rain and now half the screen doesn't respond to touch. The other one overheats from doing nothing at all. Just wondering what is the easiest combination to salvage one working Nexus 4 from the two. I moved on to a different smart phone, but it'll be nice to have an extra on hand.

maharg

idspispopd
Mine, which is one of the first round, is definitely showing its age. The mic is going and the volume is quieter than ever, the USB jack is starting to flake out a bit (new cables with strong pins tend to pop out), the paint is definitely coming off the chrome finish, the back is pretty smashed up, and it's started to randomly turn itself off every now and then.

I'm so annoyed the nexus 5 was a giant expensive phone. I'm pretty much planning to replace it soon, but I'm not sure with what. None of the recent phones that can have stock or cyanogen android really appeal to me for one reason or another. :/

Mine, which is one of the first round, is definitely showing its age. The mic is going and the volume is quieter than ever, the USB jack is starting to flake out a bit (new cables with strong pins tend to pop out), the paint is definitely coming off the chrome finish, the back is pretty smashed up, and it's started to randomly turn itself off every now and then.

I'm so annoyed the nexus 5 was a giant expensive phone. I'm pretty much planning to replace it soon, but I'm not sure with what. None of the recent phones that can have stock or cyanogen android really appeal to me for one reason or another. :/

I get the "randomly turn itself off every now and then" issue too. It seems like certain apps just shut it down, like Snapchat and Instagram specifically. Haven't quite figured out the cause yet. Otherwise, it's holding in there pretty well considering I bought it when it was a year old as a used phone for $175. Definitely doesn't hold a charge quite the same anymore though which is probably the main reason I'll eventually have to replace it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

The new Nexus line of phones is rumored to have two phones: Nexus 5 2015, made by LG, an "upgrade" to the Nexus 5 and a 5.7 phone made by Huawei, more akin to the Nexus 6. Sure, the Nexus 4 is a 4.7 inch phone (perfect size, imo) while reports say that the Nexus 5 2015 will be a 5.2 inch phone, but still.. Better than the 6 inch monstrosities that are showing up nowadays.

Maybe wait for that?

Well my Nexus is finally dying. There's a strip going from top to bottom on the middle left side of my screen that doesn't work at all, and gives me phantom touches a lot.

Well, it's health is only downhill from here. My girlfriend is letting game borrow her zenfone 2, and I'm using that now. Gonna figure out how to root it, and in the meantime, I hope I can find some work that'll let me upgrade to the next wave of nexus phones this fall.

It was a good almost 3 year run. I don't know what to do with it now. Sell it for parts?

My flash stopped syncing with the camera months ago.

Is there any fixes for this?

I meant to reply to this ages ago, but to my knowledge, there isn't an easy fix. Did you ever find one?

In other news, maybe this is a pointless bump, but my Nexus 4 16 GB is still chugging along. At this point I just refuse to let it die. This shit will be in my pocket until the day it no longer boots.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Mine is perfect when it comes to the core hardware: Performance, storage space and Ram have not been a problem yet. However, outside of the core hardware, I had a couple issues:

1) This battery sucks. And i'm not talking about duration: The actual battery is poorly constructed. The original one got swollen and, luckily, didn't crack anything, but it unglued the entire glass+screen+digitizer combo. I was in the bus one time, looking outside of the widow and I just felt it pop in my hand. I replaced the battery for an original one at a service shop and 1 year later I'm having the same issue (as a comparison, my original Galaxy S battery from 2010 only got bad enough that needed replacement 2 months ago). The screen (which was never glued back on, to avoid cracking if it ever happened again, which was a common issue, as described by the technician) started rising up and not being "flush" with the external frame anymore.

2) The digitizer (maybe because of the faulty batteries, maybe because of the rise on the screen or maybe because of the third fall I had in four years) finally presented the same "phantom touches" followed by a bottom strip the size of the soft navigational buttons not being responsive. I temporarily solved that issue by installing an XPosed module that allows me to increase the size of the navigational soft buttons strip to 115%, which allows the buttons to go to ta section of the screen that still works.

Other than those two issues (the battery one is a real fucker. The digitizer one was probably my fault for tangling the charger cable in my feet and pulling it from the night stand) and the Camera Flash thing, I didn't have any problems with it - i'm even using Pure Nexus mod to get 6.01 and it runs wonderfully.

I bought a new Battery and a new set of Frame+Glass+Digitizer+Screen to replace the faulty ones on my device. If they work and are good quality (which I can't be sure, because they're not official replacement parts), I can see myself using this Nexus 4 for another year or two. Unless you want to jump on the VR wagon, there's no need to replace it... unless it finally breaks down.

In either case, I'm also buying a used Moto X 2nd gen (2014) from a friend for real cheap, in the case that the replacement parts are not good.

I meant to reply to this ages ago, but to my knowledge, there isn't an easy fix. Did you ever find one?

In other news, maybe this is a pointless bump, but my Nexus 4 16 GB is still chugging along. At this point I just refuse to let it die. This shit will be in my pocket until the day it no longer boots.

Hi!

Yeah I still have the same issue, been using Open Camera when I need the flash but the results are a little inconsistent and the UI not nearly idiot proof if someone else is using the phone.

maharg

idspispopd
I still use my nexus 4 as an alarm clock, but that's pretty much it. I have the bottom strip problem, the battery is on its last legs, and the microusb port can't hold a plug in at all, so charging is quite difficult even when I want to.

I still use my nexus 4 as an alarm clock, but that's pretty much it. I have the bottom strip problem, the battery is on its last legs, and the microusb port can't hold a plug in at all, so charging is quite difficult even when I want to.

I had that problem with the USB, turns out the port was just filled with fluff and shite from my pocket. Picked it out with a pin and now USB cables clip in just as good as new.

My digitizer is busted. I scrapped it on a rock somewhere at Boston common, so my phone still works great, except the screen. I upgraded to a used N5 cause it was cheapish through TMobile, and like a month and a half ago, I managed to afford a 6P.

Anyone interested in it? No problems besides the screen.

Top Bottom