• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 6 |OT| Moto takes the L

garath

Just got a notice from Verizon that they're selling this now. I must have been living under a rock. I have a Droid MAXX and love it but I've liked the nexus line even more over the years. So glad the new nexus has the low power on screen notification thing the droid has. That was one of my favorite features.

I'd switch immediately but I'm not sure if I can swallow the reduced battery life. I abuse the heck out of the droid MAXX's 48 hour usage.

Jzero

I'm steamed that it rebooted on me and played that at&t jingle during a final yesterday, and I have to reboot to get a dial tone sometimes.

Mine reboots by itself on rare occasions but i don't mind because i have the superior unlocked version with no bootup jingle.

NotBacon

Mine has never rebooted either. Don't think I would care much either now, as the 5.1 update lowered my boot time from over a minute to like 15 seconds now lol

Jzero

My new real wood backing is hot fire!

iqAM9YNAcwcrS.jpg

Everyone needs that extra grip.

dc89

I reallllllllllllly want to sell my Z3 and get this phone. But I don't know if I can afford to buy this at the moment whilst waiting for my Z3 to sell.

The wait goes on :(

Sky Chief

I feel like my Quick Charge is broken since I used a non QC car charger on a recent road trip. If you guys are charging from zero using the Moto charger what estimated charge time does it give you? I'm having trouble verifying this, it just seems slower.

Argyle

I feel like my Quick Charge is broken since I used a non QC car charger on a recent road trip. If you guys are charging from zero using the Moto charger what estimated charge time does it give you? I'm having trouble verifying this, it just seems slower.

Try getting "Ampere" from the Play Store and see what it tells you.

rc213

Traded my OnePlus one for this and aside from double tap to wake and camera app I'm quite happy.

Now what camera does everyone use? I just like using stud like slowmo and slow shutter.

Corsick

Hey everyone, I'm thinking pretty seriously about buying one of these phones and have a couple of minor questions/concerns. Is it ok to text and use while sitting on a table or do you need a flat backed case to stop it from wobbling? Also is screen brightness underwhelming at all? I've heard the display is a bit disappointing but still good. My last question is about the ergonomics of it. I've held the note 4 in my hand and while it felt big it wasn't overwhelming. I don't think I'll have the opportunity to hold the Nexus 6, so I was wondering how bulky it felt compared to a note 4 which I thought was ok.

Lulu23

You won't be abled to text with this while having it on a table due to the curved back.

The screen doesn't get very bright and looks kinda washed out and not that sharp (compared to my N5). Mine was also unevenly lit.

It's only a tad bigger than the Note 4, while having a mich bigger screen, so no problem there. It is heavier though.

Cryst

The way the Nexus 6 feels in my hand is probably my biggest disappointment with it. The plastic backing feels just slightly too slippery at times. I stuck a dbrand vinyl sticker on it just to give it more grip, without having to resort to a case.

In other news, the same plastic back cover is coming unglued (after 4 months of ownership). A quick Google search seems to indicate that it's due to an expanding battery, but it could just be shoddy glue.

Hasney

I love the feel of it, but I am coming off a Galaxy s4, so there is that.

Sucks about the peeling though. Should at least be under warranty.

Jupiter

Just had something strange happen. I sent a text while getting out of my car, put the phone in my pocket, walked to my bedroom, took phone out of pocket to set it on table and it was asking me to sign into google now. I pressed home and thats when i noticed that the phone was back to the original home screen with none of my apps or customizations, like it had been factory reset. I was panicking, but after shutting it down and up again it was back to normal. Weird.

uberluigi

Banned
Anyone here having issues with the sensor? Every time I make a call the screen stays black and it won't turn back on. Can't use the dialpad and can't end the call unless they hangup first. At first I thought it was my case but it still does the samething without it. Really starting to get on my nerves.

I've had my VZW Nexus 6 for a week now, and am absolutely in love with it. Such a massive improvement over the G3 I've been fighting with ever since picking it up last July.

LogicStep

Someone please help. How do I disable left and right swipe from lock screen? Doing those swipes from the lock screen automatically opens the phone or camera app. I hate this feature, countless times I do those swipes unintentionally and the phone goes to the camera and only way for me to get out of that is to lock it back and unlock it properly (bottom to top). I've tried searching google but I can't find anything on this.

Cryst

Someone please help. How do I disable left and right swipe from lock screen? Doing those swipes from the lock screen automatically opens the phone or camera app. I hate this feature, countless times I do those swipes unintentionally and the phone goes to the camera and only way for me to get out of that is to lock it back and unlock it properly (bottom to top). I've tried searching google but I can't find anything on this.

If I recall, Settings>Lockscreen, change screen lock to Swipe. An option for Shortcuts should appear under General, and you can change or set to none there. Then change back to whatever lockscreen security you use.

LogicStep

If I recall, Settings>Lockscreen, change screen lock to Swipe. An option for Shortcuts should appear under General, and you can change or set to none there. Then change back to whatever lockscreen security you use.

There is no General or Shortcuts section anywhere. I was already using Swipe. I can't for the life of me find this. They really should make this shit easy to find.

I have a Note 2 right now, which is a loaner from my sister, as I broke my HTC One M7 a while back.

Should I go for this or a Note 4? What do you guys recommend? The larger screen really entices me on this phone...

Hasney

I have a Note 2 right now, which is a loaner from my sister, as I broke my HTC One M7 a while back.

Should I go for this or a Note 4? What do you guys recommend? The larger screen really entices me on this phone...

Out of those 2, easily the N6. But we're very close to the sequel.

Hello Nexus 6 owners.

How is this phone holding up? Still liking the size?

I'm really considering picking one of these up to replace my aging Nexus 4 but my main concern is size - primarily reaching the navigation buttons one handed. I can deal with some tasks needing both hands.

Hasney

Love it still. I do everything one handed in portrait mode fine, the dimple is great for making it easy to hold and the thinness at the sides make everything simple. I do have fairly large hands, but from a one handed stance, my thumb can hit even the far corners.

The new Nexus 5 and 6 are out soon, so maybe wait a little to see what they offer. But since the new 6 is looking like it'll use an 810 and have a smaller screen, this one is still a consideration if you can get a good deal on it.

I really hate my Nexus 6. Like really and truly. It's the first Nexus that I did not enjoy.

The screen size is definitely nice, and I worry about downgrading in size. But, the camera and performance are horrible for me.

Hasney

Performance is smooth as anything to me, even with the Chrome beast. Camera has the annoying focus constantly problem, but I barely ever use it, so I can't say really.

I really hate my Nexus 6. Like really and truly. It's the first Nexus that I did not enjoy.

The screen size is definitely nice, and I worry about downgrading in size. But, the camera and performance are horrible for me.

I've heard complaints about the camera, but what are your performance issues?

I value a good camera, but this seems to be good enough and that's fine by me. I've thought about it and I definitely value stock Android over everything else in a device I use day in and day out.

My only concern with the camera is getting pics of my toddler in motion. My wife has a G4, which she gets amazing pics out of so I don't think we'll be missing out on too much.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The camera takes good pictures but the experience in using it is terrible. It can't focus well, particularly on close objects.

Phone performance is great. Not sure what else is better, to be honest.

I've had my Nexus 6 on Verizon Wireless for several months now, and really love it. Focusing with the camera can be a challenge sometimes, but the overall experience is top notch.

Don't think I'll be able to upgrade to anything other than another Nexus, as stock Android is the only way to go.

kinggroin

Banned
Outside of the galaxy S6 line of shit, its probably still the best smartphone with Android on it.

Maybe one day Google will make its camera app not suck (though HDR+ is beast mode), but otherwise its pimp. Phone is good enough to make this a skip year for sure.

So I've been messing around with the Nexus 6 for about a day now. I find it odd that it doesn't update to Android 5.1.1 (still stuck on 5.0.1). Isn't that an update that should get pushed to N6 or do I have to manually grab it myself?

So I've been messing around with the Nexus 6 for about a day now. I find it odd that it doesn't update to Android 5.1.1 (still stuck on 5.0.1). Isn't that an update that should get pushed to N6 or do I have to manually grab it myself?

Google seems to have some weird system on how the update is rolled out in batches. I only got 5.1.1 last week.

Kanyon

So I got myself a Nexus 6, been using it for 2 days but it seems I may have a small issue with it... Doesn't want to connect to my data! I can make calls and send texts but can't use any 4G data. It also tends to drop coverage altogether sporadically, which is quite strange as I never had this problem with my Moto X 2013.

I did check to see if the phone is compatible with Virgin Mobile (Australia) before I bought it and it is. I'm using the global XT1100 32Gb model and I've done the usual check of APN's, power cycling and factory resets to sort this out but to no avail. Was hoping NexusGAF would have some suggestions?

Outside of that I really like the phone, so good to have a big screen again and the performance is pretty spectacular. Took a 4K video for the first time and I think I'm in love with it!

Kanyon

I have and my 4G data is activated. I did a little more digging on the XDA forums and it seems to be a common issue relating to Project Fi and Android 5.1.1... There's a fix in the works but for now I have to play the waiting game.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Nothing but issues since 5.1.1

Problems connecting to wi-fi.. it just won't find networks.. sits there with the ! doing nothing.

Battery is draining like crazy with the phone just on stand-by. It drained last night from like 70% to 0 in 8hrs well I slept.

I never used to have to plug in the phone over night as I got always a full day of use out of it.. not anymore... it's constantly draining battery.

Nothing but issues since 5.1.1

Problems connecting to wi-fi.. it just won't find networks.. sits there with the ! doing nothing.

Battery is draining like crazy with the phone just on stand-by. It drained last night from like 70% to 0 in 8hrs well I slept.

I never used to have to plug in the phone over night as I got always a full day of use out of it.. not anymore... it's constantly draining battery.

Have you done a factory reset since the update? That tends to clear up a bunch of issues.

Top Bottom