• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFC confirmed for Smash Bros for Wii U

I was looking at the Skylanders figurines to get an idea on how much these may cost. $15? Is that right? Fucking highway robbery. I may buy one figurine just to have, but fuck it if they expect us to buy multiple in order to unlock things

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
If this means that characters are locked away without the figurines, I'll probably be slightly salty. If it means parts of the games are totally locked away, same deal. If it means continuous releases of new add-on characters, I'll be slightly less salty, but still salty. If buying the NFCs is a faster way to unlock stuff, I'll be fine with it. Just because I'm salty about it doesn't mean I won't purchase the fuck out of those NFCs.

I'll buy multiple Captain Falcons if the price is right, Nintendo.

If this means buying figures to unlock characters, count me out.

If it means using those figures to store fight data and move configurations, count me out.

I'm nearly 24. I don't want to buy toys, man.

I was looking at the Skylanders figurines to get an idea on how much these may cost. $15? Is that right? Fucking highway robbery. I may buy one figurine just to have, but fuck it if they expect us to buy multiple in order to unlock things

I can't speak to the quality of the Skylanders figures, but I know that $20 when you're looking for a figure that isn't puke worthy is dirt cheap.
I'd say if these things are $20, $25, and are at least on par with the $20 figures I have, I'll buy em all.

Vlade

My guess is the custom char movesets that he didn't want to get into detail with before.

sounds right, like unlocks moveset customization groups.

anyway, arg. This is going to cost me, and I probably cant blame the kids like I did for infinity.... or can I....

bumpkin

Assuming that they aren't outrageously overpriced and they look pretty good...
If the image floating around from a week or two of a Mario figurine is any indication, I'm expecting they're going to look great!

I will buy these at the very least:

Pit
Mega Man
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Link
Princess Zelda
Sheik
Greninja
Lucario
King Dedede
Marth
Rosalina & Luma
Toon Link
Pikmin & Olimar
Little Mac (if they have a wire-frame version)
Captain Falcon (I think this is a safe assumption)
Ness (I think this is a safe assumption)
My picks.

georly

If they don't have this as a base, I'll be very disappointed.

Item15_080305_57-l-1-.jpg

Well they won't get me unless... Mega Man you say? Oh man if Nintendo can get third parties on this I'll be very broke -_- Megggaaa maaaaaan.

I never could resist an OG Mega Man made up of plastic. He's just so toyetic.

I want little figures of all the original boss masters someday.

Tom_Cody

To anyone who's interested, here are Iwata's most recent comments on the NFP initiative from the last investor's meeting Q&A:
Iwata said:
As for utilizing character figurines, Activision has released video game titles from the Skylanders series over the past three years and Disney Interactive released the software title, “Disney Infinity,” last year. Both video game series are compatible with character figurines and have created an extremely large market for these products. In the overseas markets especially, a huge amount of space has been allocated to those product lines at retail stores with a large market presence. Our primary focus, however, is not to develop software that is compatible with figurines. Rather, we have been developing figurines since last year because we believe there may be different approaches or ways to appeal to consumers by using them, and this could also be one way for Nintendo to utilize its character IP. At the Corporate Management Policy Briefing in January this year, we talked about our policy of actively utilizing character IP imagining that we would be able to show you the actual NFP product, which I mentioned today, at E3. However, when we talked about actively utilizing character IP, people were only focused on to whom and how licenses would be granted. So today, I decided to talk about our own project. Still nothing has changed in our belief that, for video game platforms, hardware is driven by software and our basic approach of developing new, unique and incredibly interesting software has not changed at all. We will work hard to meet your expectations.
1) In the first bolded part, he directly states that the primary focus of this venture is on the sales of the figures themselves and not the software experiences that will be connected to them. This is kind of an extremely important distinction. Disney Infinity's justifies the price of their figurines with the content linked to them. Barring that, there is no way they could justify $10+ for those tiny things.

To me this indicates that, at least to start with, these figures will be more like the Kid Icarus AR Cards than physical DLC. They will try to sell the figures on their own merit and not simply link them to gated content within their games to blackmail gamers.

2) In the second bolded part, he specifically states that these figure will be their own venture and they won't merely be licensed. This is a big deal. This indicates to me that they are going to control the manufacturing of the figures themselves, just as they do with their gaming hardware. This greatly increases my expectations for the quality of the figures.

Also, here's the office picture that was shown:

ANM3fC3.jpg

To anyone who's interested, here are Iwata's most recent comments on the NFP initiative from the last investor's meeting Q&A:1) In the first bolded part, he directly states that the primary focus of this venture is on the sales of the figures themselves and not the software experiences that will be connected to them. This is kind of an extremely important distinction. Disney Infinity's justifies the price of their figurines with the content linked to them. Barring that, there is no way they could justify $10+ for those tiny things.

To me this indicates that, at least to start with, these figures will be more like the Kid Icarus AR Cards than physical DLC. They will try to sell the figures on their own merit and not simply link them to gated content within their games to blackmail gamers.

2) In the second bolded part, he specifically states that these figure will be their own venture and they won't merely be licensed. This is a big deal. This indicates to me that they are going to control the manufacturing of the figures themselves, just as they do with their gaming hardware. This greatly increases my expectations for the quality of the figures.
And this greatly increases my expectations for the value of Nintendo stock as well.

AdanVC

Finally the real concept that Smash has been using since the first game with all the characters as toys/figurines is becoming a reality! This is gonna be so damn cool!

My wallet is
not so
ready!

Mariolee

What if I and a friend have the same figure with different data saved to each of them and we mix it up? Sakurai done shot himself in the foot.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Pikmin with DLC, Mario Golf with Season Pass, Smash Bros with NFC figures... Nintendo finally gettin in the ARPU game!

About time they started employing this strategy. When you're struggling to get new customers, you "mine" your current custumers increase your revenue per user. It's why they didn't need to do it last gen due to the expanse userbase, and need to now. It seems kind of silly, but at least this will slowly get them to evolve their infrastructure, and drive them to be more service-oriented.

Proven

You know, while it won't be the same as actually having an "unlock all characters code", it'd be nice if sliding the figure over the sensor immediately unlocked that character. For the sake of tournament organizers.

Is there a large crossover between Smash players and toy collectors? It feels like the toys would be aimed at children while the game is clearly targeted at teens and up.

georly

they will not.
Nintendo Figurine Platform will be cross-games. Not "Smash bros" tied.

This is assuming there aren't NFP figures that are exclusive to smash bros. Or maybe they're smash bros EDITION, and have the smash bros base, to distinguish between other, non-smash bros NFP figures. Doesn't mean that a smash bros MARIO isn't identical to a non-smash bros MARIO, as far as the NFC tech is concerned. They might just LOOK different.

I agree with you, though. I think what you say is very likely. There will only be 1 Mario figure, and that 1 mario figure works on Smash, Nintendolanders, and whatever other NFC game they decide to use.

Is there a large crossover between Smash players and toy collectors? It feels like the toys would be aimed at children while the game is clearly targeted at teens and up.

HUGE. Aren't most toy collectors adult men?

L~A

Important tidibt : interview was edited... no mention of NFC for Super Smash Bros. anymore. Think a mod should edit the title.

Edit : actually, they just removed one mention of NFC for Smash Bros. Wii U.

Kouichi

I get the feeling my wallet is going to be crying during the entire Nintendo Digital Event.

If Smash Bros is getting NFC figurines, then that practically guarantees that every fighter will get one. Since the figurines will be used for multiple games to build the character, then there's a likely chance there will be more Nintendo crossover games using NFC.

ChrisD

Smash Bros. themed figurines please. I don't want a random Mario connecting to my game, gimme' one on the Smash Bros. pedestal.

I see this has been said numerous times above... whoops.

ChrisD

As a kid everyone knew and owned Smash Bros. Melee. The oldest one being around ten. Though things have changed over the years it is still very much a big game for children.

LAA

Should I be joyed over this...?

I've never liked the idea of this figurine gaming...
To me it simply seems like instead of a complete body of a game, you'll be buying a skeleton of a game and filling the skeleton by buying figurines.
Its just selling stuff to us which we used to get with the game, I don't get why its such a liked idea. Unless I'm missing something or got something wrong.

Hopefully SSB doesnt use it in a bad way, but I presume it will be something you need for 100%, which will annoy me...

Majukun

i'm not familiar with this nfc thing..how does it work on skylander?the characters are already in the code and you unlock them buying those statues?or the game is costantly updated with new characters and they release the statues to unlock them accordingly?

Hopefully the NFC figures store player stats for that character as well as any custom movesets or other customizations that they may have. Those are probably the main things I'm expecting/hoping for, but I could see the figures also unlocking an in-game trophy or music track as well. I don't think that Nintendo would tie stage or character unlocks to the figures unless they become wildly popular and even then I believe they would still offer the possibility of just buying the DLC pack on the eshop.

Sadist

i'm not familiar with this nfc thing..how does it work on skylander?the characters are already in the code and you unlock them buying those statues?or the game is costantly updated with new characters and they release the statues to unlock them accordingly?
With Skylanders (and Disney Infinity) you also receive a portal; you put a character on the portal and the figure is transported to the game. They all have different abillities though.

The Wii U however (I believe this will be the case for Smash) already has a built in nfc reader in the Gamepad.

Maybe vintage toys, but I would think something like this would be mostly bought by children.

Children will undoubtedly buy these (remember, these figures will work on MANY nintendo games, not just smash) but there are also a lot of serious collectors, see Skylanders, who drive up the prices of rare models, etc.

LAA

Quite the opposite, actually. If they are locking stuff behind useless plastic, I don't get how people can be joyed about the idea.

Yeah exactly, I don't get it, if they are anyway. Its just taking more and more of the game away, I'm not gonna be pleased over that ever. Its cool we get Nintendo figures...kinda, but I don't like it when its taking away my game. If I wanted a figurine, I'd buy it myself, not for the game.

Anth0ny

I would've thought that, much like how Melee and Brawl has more than one way to unlock hidden characters, the NFC figures would be a third way to do it. Sort of like:

TO UNLOCK CAPTAIN FALCON

Beat single player in 8 minutes

- OR -

Play multiplayer for 4 hours

- OR -

Scan your NFC character in

I'd be fine with that. I can carry my Ganondorf figurine everywhere and scan that shit in for guaranteed main in anybody's version. :D

they should totally do this

Top Bottom