• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Offseason Thread |OT3| - With the 29th pick of the 2016 NFL draft...

FMT is a dad! How best to celebrate?

Results are only viewable after voting.
NFL-Draft-Main-500-300-2016.jpg

The NFL draft will begin on Thursday April 28th at 8pm EST. The full draft dates are April 28th-30th.

As usual, we'll do our annual mock draft in this thread.

Mock Draft Rules:

Rules:

1. No trades (sorry)
2. Folks should be picking who they think their front office would select. No who YOU would select. Try to make the best consensus pick possible.
3. Once a team is on the clock - they have 3 hours to make their selection. If no selection is made after the 3 hours is up, it turns into a consensus pick and all NFL-GAF will be able to chime in.
4. Teams with no representation is an automatic NFL-GAF consensus pick. Those teams will have two hours to arrive at a consensus before moving to the next pick.
5. Team reps should do a short write-up justifying their pick. It doesn't have to be war and peace the NFL edition. Just tell us your thinking.

That's it!

Volunteers so far:

AFC

East

Buffalo Bills - WanderingWind
Miami Dolphins - Chris, SkLa
New England Patriots
New York Jets - Fox318

North

Baltimore Ravens - Nakazato, BaltimoreLarry
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns - FloydtheFathead
Pittsburgh Steelers - AngmarsKing701, chuckddd

South

Houston Texans - Mech, Dega
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars - Dutch
Tennessee Titans - Eleuin

West

Denver Broncos
Kansas City Chiefs
Oakland Raiders - Beach, McKenzie, OfficerRob
San Diego Chargers - Bread

NFC

East

Dallas Cowboys - Farooq, CrocMother
New York Giants - Futurevoid, Striker, Draxal, BigAT
Philadelphia Eagles - Hindl, yankeehater, Jabee
Washington Redskins

North

Chicago Bears - Minx
Detroit Lions - Kastrioti
Green Bay Packers -brentech
Minnesota Vikings

South

Atlanta Falcons - RBH
Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Syrinx

West

Arizona Cardinals
Los Angeles Rams - Fantomex
San Francisco 49ers - Doomsayer, bigosc2k
Seattle Seahawks - cdyhybrid

The NFL-Gaf Mock draft is officially open for business

Draft Results:

1. Los Angeles Rams - Carson Wentz - QB - Himynameischris - Wentz has the size and strengths that NFL teams look for in a QB, he's got a big arm and he's athletic too. However on the field he's got a lot of work to do, He's got very sloppy footwork and he'd succeed in an offense that would limit his throws to the short/Intermediate routes, at least until he works on his deep ball accuracy. Surrounded by a strong run game that features Gurly and a good defense might be enough to help Wentz learn on the job.

Fantomex - With the first pick in the 2016 NFL Draft, The Los Angeles Rams select Carston Wentz from the University of North Dakota State. A two year starter (Hi Tannehill!) who went 20-3. Raised in an under center offense, pro style reads and standard progressions. His lack of big name competition seems to be one of the big knocks. But he has good arm strength, great reads, pocket presence and decent footwork in the pocket. He also possesses great athleticism, doing better in the shuttle than even some Cornerbacks in this years draft combine. Carson Wentz seems to have all the tools to be an NFL starter and learn on the go in 2016. Wether it’s Jon Gruden, Mike Mayock, Ron Jaworski, or Trent Dilfer, they all seem to be head over heels for this guy the more they talk with him, draw up plays and go over film together. Jon Gruden called him “the most NFL ready QB to come out of the draft in years”. Most analysts compare him to Troy Aikman, based on arm strength, pocket presence and footwork. I vehemently disagree on the pocket presence, he seems to be sorely lacking this trait. The Los Angeles Rams now in their new market, hope to make a splash. They have decided to bet big on Wentz, by trading with the Tennesse Titans to move up from #15 to #1 in this years draft. The terms are as follows: Tennessee gets: Rams' first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016) third-round pick (2016), first-round pick (2017), third-round pick (2017).Rams get: Titans' first-overall pick (2016), fourth-round pick (2016), sixth-round pick (2016).

2. Cleveland Browns - Jared Goff - QB - FloydtheFathead - With the 2nd pick in the Draft. The Cleveland Browns select Jared Goff, QB from the University of Cal. Now personally, I think the Browns will trade down because Wentz is not available and I don't know if they are that sold on Jared. But for now, they'll take Jared Goff who will lead Cleveland to the Promised Land.

He's got good size. But needs to bulk up and has decent arm strength and vision and works through progressions and not just quick to dump off to the hot read.

He isn't as accurate from deep as other QBs and has played in the Spread rather than a pro style offense. But he performed well and set dozens of school records and I think Hue will develop him on the bench while RG3 hopefully stays healthy and might surprise us with a new version of himself somehow.

3. San Diego Chargers - Jalen Ramsey, DB - Bread - My San Diego Chargers select the next Deion Sanders, the next Malcolm Hero Butler, DB Jalen Ramsey.

My Chargers need a playmaker to replace old friend Eric Waddle. Ramsey should provide ball hawking skills and leadership. Bolt up or something I don't know what do we say? Save our bolts!

4. Dallas Cowboys - Laremy Tunsil, OT - CrocMother - There was discussion amongst Cowboys-GAF about Bosa and Zeke, but in the end neither were deemed worthy of such a high pick. There are reports the FO aren't fans of Bosa, and it's pretty clear that they don't have a lot of confidence in Myles Jack's knee.

Tunsil is 6'5", extremely athletic and widely regarded as the all-around best player in the draft. While the Cowboys obviously have no pressing need at OLine right now, Tunsil could significantly lower their cap hit in the coming future when their current studs' contracts come up.

There's also the possibility that Tunsil could be packaged in some sort of trade deal.

Either way, worst case scenario the Cowboys have one of the most dominant OLines of all time secured for years to come.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars - DeForest Buckner, DE - Dutch Patriot - The keyword voor the Jacksonville Jaguars this upcoming draft seems to be defence. The team is lacking some talent overall, but with Bortles at the helm, the offense could play well enough that with a good defense they can actually win games and hell, maybe even challenge for the AFC South title.

Looking at the stats, they ranked 31st in overall scoring defence, 29th in defending the pass and 15th in defending the run. They added some bodies on defence, including a rather big one in DT Malik Jackson, the lead actor from Coming to America at CB and Donte Fowler for the first time really joining the team after his injury last year.

Ramsey would probably be ideal, but just as in our draft, I assume he'll be gone before the Jags pick. Thus that leaves us with a few options: Joey Bosa, Myles Jack and DeForest Buckner. At first Jack seemed like no-brainer here, however, the injury news (smokescreens?) with regard to his knee has thrown me a bit of a curveball, so I think they might pass on him, since long-term talent will be crucial for the up-and-coming Jags. This also eliminates Bosa, who looks like a fuck-up waiting to happen.

6. Baltimore Ravens - Myles Jack, LB - Baltimore Larry - Simply put, he's the best player available, and that's what Ozzie Newsome does. If Jack does fall to six, the Ravens will happily grab him, where he looks to be an impact player from day one (if healthy). Pair him with CJ Mosely, Brandon Williams, and Jimmy Smith, giving the Ravens a nice nucleus. Adding Jack would immediately improve the defense, and despite the injury, there's too much talent to pass on here.

7. San Francisco 49'ers - Joey Bosa, DE - bigosc2k - 2015 the 49ers had an abysmal season on both sides of the ball. Figures 49ers would go defense in the first round towards the front 7 to get pressure towards the QB. Joey Bosa is the type of pass rusher this team needs to get back to their winning ways.

Philadelphia Eagles are no on the clock
The team has until 10:00am EST 4/19 to get their pick in.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
2016 NFL first round draft results with video highlights*.

1. Los Angeles Rams (from Tennessee Titans) - Jared Goff, QB, Cal
2. Philadelphia Eagles (from Cleveland Browns) - Carson Wentz, QB, NDSU
3. San Diego Chargers - Joey Bosa, DE, The Ohio State University
4. Dallas Cowboys - Ezekiel Elliot, RB, The Ohio State University
5. Jacksonville Jaguars - Jalen Ramsey, CB, FSU
6. Baltimore Ravens - Ronnie Stanley, T, ND
7. San Francisco 49ers - DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
8. Tennessee Titans (from Cleveland Browns, from Philadelphia Eagles through Miami Dolphins) - Jack Conklin, T, MSU
9. Chicago Bears (from Tampa Bay Buccaneers) - Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia
10. New York Giants - Eli Apple, CB, The Ohio State University
11. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (from Chicago Bears) - Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida
12. New Orleans Saints - Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville
13. Miami Dolphins (from Philadelphia Eagles) - Laremy Tunsil, T, Ole Miss
14. Oakland Raiders - Karl Joseph, S, WVU
15. Cleveland Browns (from Tennessee Titans, from Los Angeles Rams) - Corey Coleman, WR, Baylor
16. Detroit Lions - Taylor Decker, T, The Ohio State University
17. Atlanta Falcons - Keanu Neal, S, Florida
18. Indianapolis Colts - Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama
19. Buffalo Bills - Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
20. New York Jets - Darron Lee, LB, The Ohio State University
21. Houston Texans (from Washington Redskins) - Will Fuller, WR, ND
22. Washington Redskins (from Houston Texans) - Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
23. Minnesota Vikings - Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss
24. Cincinnati Bengals - William Jackson III, WR, Houston
25. Pittsburgh Steelers - Artie Burns, CB, The U
26. Denver Broncos (from Seattle Seahawks) - Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
27. Green Bay Packers - Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
28. San Francisco 49ers (from Kansas City Chiefs) - Joshua Garnett, G, Furd
29. New England Patriots - Richard Astley, QB, Oxford
29. Arizona Cardinals - Robert Nkemdiche, DT, Ole Miss
30. Carolina Panthers - Vernon Butler, DT, La Tech
31. Seattle Seahawks (from Denver Broncos) - Germain Ifedi, T, TAMU

* Highlights may not be available and you'll get some low rent interview or breakdown instead. This happens mostly for offensive linemen. Enjoy!

Chargers are so fortunate that Laremy Tunsil fell to them!

That's obviously a no brainer pick for them, just like QBs are for CLE/LA.

Not that it matters to me at all...

Line_HTX

Since the Osweiler signing, I have not done much research on other offensive positions like WR and TE and even less on DE and LB.

I'll leave it to Mech and Dega.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
18 mil a year for Von?! That's crazy.

That's a minimum.

He'd get paid 21 mil per year if he was on the open market. The franchise tag will only pay 18 I think...so he's in a weird position right now.

This shit is going to drag on all summer and don't be surprised if he doesn't show up until the last second.

Least invested I've been in the draft maybe ever. I haven't researched players AT ALL

Partly because fuck football and partly because the Panthers have no real needs to be addressed and pick so far down.

Yall just take BPA and I'm straight

Rflagg

Least invested I've been in the draft maybe ever. I haven't researched players AT ALL

Partly because fuck football and partly because the Panthers have no real needs to be addressed and pick so far down.

Yall just take BPA and I'm straight

This is also me when it comes to the draft.
The Seahawks, however, have needs at every o-line position, heck it feels like we have more holes then we ever had in the Russell Wilson era. :(

Farooq

Banned
If Jerry thinks Goff is a franchise QB would he trade next year's first to trade up?

Especially if he thinks next year's first is going to be a pick in bottom half of the round. Would Kroenke give Jerry a heads up on who the Rams were picking since Jerry helped the Rams move to LA?

Wasting too much time on this.

If Jerry thinks Goff is a franchise QB would he trade next year's first to trade up?

Especially if he thinks next year's first is going to be a pick in bottom half of the round. Would Kroenke give Jerry a heads up on who the Rams were picking since Jerry helped the Rams move to LA?

Wasting too much time on this.

That's not that crazy, but I imagine it would cost a lot more than that. The Browns need a QB badly.

Farooq

Banned
That's not that crazy, but I imagine it would cost a lot more than that. The Browns need a QB badly.

Sent you a PM btw, I am procrastinating and reading about the draft.

I understand they scheduled Goff's workout well in advance of the Rams trade, but why would Jerry go? I wonder if he knows who the Rams are taking.

Broaddus, who I assume has a similar chart that Cowboys use, said it would cost next year's first or this year's 2nd and 3rd to move up ahead of SD. But I get your point, would Cleveland demand more value? They still get to pick in the top 5.

JJ's chart is outdated though. I wonder if Cleveland will overhaul their value chart.

Sent you a PM btw, I am procrastinating and reading about the draft.

I understand they scheduled Goff's workout well in advance of the Rams trade, but why would Jerry go? I wonder if he knows who the Rams are taking.

Broaddus, who I assume has a similar chart that Cowboys use, said it would cost next year's first or this year's 2nd and 3rd to move up ahead of SD. But I get your point, would Cleveland demand more value? They still get to pick in the top 5.

If you don't need a QB, moving up or down within the Top 10 or so isn't a big deal in this draft.

If you do need a QB, the top 2 picks are invaluable. That's why I thought the Browns would probably want more than the pick is actually "worth" on the various value charts out there.

If you get to the Vikings and Treadwell is available take him.

If not, Doctson.

If not Doctson, take Fuller.

The Vikings need a WR. They will take one even if the options aren't the blue chip burners we've seen over the last two years. I have Doctson and Treadwell up front because they are tall and can win contested balls which is what Teddy needs more than anything.

I like fuller but he isn't the type of guy we need to really take a productive step forward.

That order. The Viking coalition has spoken. Sorry for the early picks, I won't be on too much during the selections.

Godslay

Banned
What is this RFA tender on Brandon Marshall?

He signed a waiver releasing the Broncos of liability if he gets hurt in OTAs.

It's risky but does two things. Allows him to negotiate by not signing the tender, and shows the Broncos that he cares about the team enough to show up for work and do his job.

It's basically a more risky option of negotiation as opposed to holding out, but shows good faith.

I hope it works out for him.

Yep. He's the Key to the D. I just hope if they do pay him the money he doesn't slag off.

I don't think he will. I think we all underestimate who Von has become with Ware molding him in his image. If Von is the key, then Ware is the key maker. He's been that important.

Farooq

Banned
If you don't need a QB, moving up or down within the Top 10 or so isn't a big deal in this draft.

If you do need a QB, the top 2 picks are invaluable. That's why I thought the Browns would probably want more than the pick is actually "worth" on the various value charts out there.

I am just speculating. I hope they don't do it. I think they will be fine if QBs go 1 and 2. Pairing Ramsey with Jones would be amazing. If Ramsey is not there, Tunsil should attract some trade offers.

edit: I did not address the point of Cleveland wanting a trade in their favor in lieu of picking their QB. Even though I read Browns prefer Goff, I think since they are in the beginning of major rebuild, they covet picks more than anything.

If you get to the Vikings and Treadwell is available take him.

If not, Doctson.

If not Doctson, take Fuller.

The Vikings need a WR. They will take one even if the options aren't the blue chip burners we've seen over the last two years. I have Doctson and Treadwell up front because they are tall and can win contested balls which is what Teddy needs more than anything.

I like fuller but he isn't the type of guy we need to really take a productive step forward.

That order. The Viking coalition has spoken. Sorry for the early picks, I won't be on too much during the selections.

Noted

Top Bottom