• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2017 Week 7 |OT| Kraft Money Rules Everything Around Me

gutshot

Yeah Im sure its a regional thing. We have them in Texas but I never see them very busy.

Same here in the Raleigh/Durham area. I'm not even sure how their locations in the South stay in business tbh. Why would any one go there when the hole-in-the-wall places are not only much better quality but oftentimes cheaper as well?

We're pretty heavy on BBQ in Durham area. Have like 2 dozen different BBQ joints. One Dickeys, and only in the richer area where they don't know better.

Oh shit, you live in Durham? Q Shack is the best BBQ place IMO. But yeah, they are everywhere here.

@MaryKayCabot
I expect DeShone Kizer to be reinstated as the #Browns starting QB today for the #Titans game, and they'll ride w/ him as long as possible

Gobias! Road to 10-6 starts now!

MechDX

How do you finally 'fix" the Browns? Reading about the state of their franchise right now I feel bad for their fans at this point. No one should have to go through this.

Serious question so no "contract them" answers.

Rvaan

Banned
Pipe dream, now its time to anti-tank their way out of good draft picks.

Ah. So they will become the Jets North.

How do you finally 'fix" the Browns? Reading about the state of their franchise right now I feel bad for their fans at this point. No one should have to go through this.

1. Fire everyone.
2. Hire Scot McCloughan as GM
3. Hire Josh McDaniels as HC
4. Draft Josh Allen.
5. Pray.
6. Pray more.

Serious answer, I don't think you can.

MechDX

Serious answer, I don't think you can.

There were rumors this week that Tony Dungy and P Manning were going to be brought in to run the franchise. Allbright shot that down on Twitter but I do think something like that is the way to go.

Strong presence to run the operation with hands off by the owner. That person hires the GM and new coach. As for HC get a new face not a retread

Hindl

Send Belichick to them and take the franchise away from Haslam

I'm mostly serious. Not to beat up on Browns fans but the stench of failure just emanates from the franchise. FAs don't want to go there, and even previously successful coaches have a Sisyphean task creating a winning culture in that locker room and city. Only BB has the resume and culture to counteract that

dionysus

Yaldog
Ah. So they will become the Jets North.

1. Fire everyone.
2. Hire Scot McCloughan as GM
3. Hire Josh McDaniels as HC
4. Draft Josh Allen.
5. Pray.
6. Pray more.

Why would anyone want Josh McDaniels as HC? When John Fox can do more with your team than you can...

Rvaan

Banned
If the owner isn't willing to give people more than 2 years to fix things it won't matter who's running things for the Browns. This is not a quick turn around. This is going to be a long rebuild.

Owner can't meddle

GM/Scouting personnel and coach have to be in lockstep on what players they want for the team.

forget about a QB for now. Build the defense and o-line. Commit to being the browns. Then when you have cohesive talent, draft a QB.

Hue was the best HC they could find that still wanted to deal with the brand that is The Cleveland Browns. Not one of the best, the best.

The roster he pulled together this year by the end of the draft and free agency looked miles more talented than the team's looked in a while, not just including last year

Despite all this, the team looks easily worse than last year, and it can be argued that they look worse than they've ever looked since coming back to the NFL

People are really overestimating the value that any one or two or three or five or even ten names, wherever they may be on-field or off it, can bring to this utter wasteland of hope

Same here in the Raleigh/Durham area. I'm not even sure how their locations in the South stay in business tbh. Why would any one go there when the hole-in-the-wall places are not only much better quality but oftentimes cheaper as well?

Same reason Chipotle somehow stays in business here in so cal, people are stupid

If the owner isn't willing to give people more than 2 years to fix things it won't matter who's running things for the Browns. This is not a quick turn around. This is going to be a long rebuild.

Pretty much. You cant build rome in a day, ypu cant turn that team around in twp seasons.

But at the same time, no matter who they bring in they cant help but flub everything. Dont they have like a 10 year first round bust streak as well or something stupid like that? Thats not just the owner, they everyone screwing the pooch.

Florio today said he has heard that the owner is already talking to people around the league and putting together a list of people to interview for next year. He said expect a full house cleaning.

Browns first round picks by year

2017: Myles Garrett, Jabrill Peppers, David Njoku
2016: Corey Coleman
2015: Danny Shelton, Cameron Erving
2014: Justin Gilbert, Johnny Manziel
2013: Barkevious Mingo
2012: Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden
2011: Phil Taylor
2010: Joe Haden
2009: Alex Mack
2007: Joe Thomas, Brady Quinn

Rvaan

Banned
Why would anyone want Josh McDaniels as HC? When John Fox can do more with your team than you can...

That Denver situation was weird. I think he's learned from that situation and has become better because of it.

forget about a QB for now. Build the defense and o-line. Commit to being the browns. Then when you have cohesive talent, draft a QB.

They are trying that now and it's not going to well for them. For what it's worth I don't think that's a bad plan, it's just been executed poorly.

Boy those are some bad picks there. 3 of those guys aren't in the NFL anymore and 1 of the 3 is an analyst.

Hindl

That 2017 class is looking alright tbh

That Denver situation was weird. I think he's learned from that situation and has become better because of it.

They are trying that now and it's not going to well for them. For what it's worth I don't think that's a bad plan, it's just been executed poorly.

They aren't though. We've had more than one report saying Hugh is in disagreement with the FO and their analytics,

That's the Browns problem. The GM and the coach are always fighting, and the owner can't resist sticking his neck in.

If this grooming replacement stuff is true as Mech says, then they were never committed to a 2 year plan.

This idea to build the rest of the team and then take a qb is not a good one. You build up your defense and your OL and get some other pieces and suddenly you are still a bad team, but you are not a terrible team anymore. Now you are drafting 10th not 2nd and you cant get one of the top qb's coming out. If you are in a position to get a QB that you really like in the draft you have to do it. Passing on guys like Wentz and Watson has done more damage to the current Browns team then any other moves that they have made. If the Browns had the same team now but they had a young franchise QB people would be looking at their situation totally different. Get the most important piece first then figure out the rest.

Rvaan

Banned
They aren't though. We've had more than one report saying Hugh is in disagreement with the FO and their analytics,

That's the Browns problem. The GM and the coach are always fighting, and the owner can't resist sticking his neck in.

If this grooming replacement stuff is true as Mech says, then they were never committed to a 2 year plan.

I meant they were trying the whole build up a decent team before you throw a QB into the fire.

This idea to build the rest of the team and then take a qb is not a good one. You build up your defense and your OL and get some other pieces and suddenly you are still a bad team, but you are not a terrible team anymore. Now you are drafting 10th not 2nd and you cant get one of the top qb's coming out. If you are in a position to get a QB that you really like in the draft you have to do it. Passing on guys like Wentz and Watson has done more damage to the current Browns team then any other moves that they have made. If the Browns had the same team now but they had a young franchise QB people would be looking at their situation totally different. Get the most important piece first then figure out the rest.

The problem there is the QB needs pieces around him to help him. Yes a QB can cover up many of a teams flaws, but if he doesn't have a line to protect him or receivers to catch the ball he's not going to last long. Throwing a young QB out there with little to no help can easily lead to him developing bad habits or being hit so many times he becomes scared to do anything.

dionysus

Yaldog
I also think that the trade back/stockpile future picks strategy might be less effective for losing culture teams because you are intentionally extending the bad culture/vibes the organization has. Yea you will have a boatload of draft picks eventually but you are bringing them into a demoralized organization that went 1-15 the year before. It is harder for those guys to thrive and reach their potential. Incremental improvements might be a better way to fight the culture.

The problem there is the QB needs pieces around him to help him. Yes a QB can cover up many of a teams flaws, but if he doesn't have a line to protect him or receivers to catch the ball he's not going to last long. Throwing a young QB out there with little to no help can easily lead to him developing bad habits or being hit so many times he becomes scared to do anything.

The one thing the Browns have going for them right now is that they have 5 picks in the first two rounds, one of which SHOULD be high enough to snag one of the QBs that is coming up, along with a bunch of other talent. They are also looking to have something like 50 million in cap space next season with which to sign those 5 picks.

Now, are any of those QBs going to be any good? I have no idea, I don't watch college ball. But regardless, they should be able to get enough talent in those picks to do something other than wallow at the bottom of the league.

But then again, this is the Browns so.....

browns-dumpster.jpg

All it needs is the fire.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Who the fuck wants to kill themselves working for the Browns, deal with all the infighting, and then probably get booted out of the NFL because you can’t succeed in two years?

So the problem probably perpetuates itself when you’re getting less than ideal applicants for every position. They really need to be looking at unproven talent from the college level.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Who the fuck wants to kill themselves working for the Browns, deal with all the infighting, and then probably get booted out of the NFL because you can't succeed in two years?

So the problem probably perpetuates itself when you're getting less than ideal applicants for every position. They really need to be looking at unproven talent from the college level.

Call me Browns.

jbug617

Banned
Who the fuck wants to kill themselves working for the Browns, deal with all the infighting, and then probably get booted out of the NFL because you can’t succeed in two years?

So the problem probably perpetuates itself when you’re getting less than ideal applicants for every position. They really need to be looking at unproven talent from the college level.

I will fix the Browns

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Taking a qb is fine. Just don't force the issue. If the organization thinks the right guy is there, then draft him. The Browns should have enough draft picks to move into position to draft whomever, while still adding some decent pieces.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
You need a head of scouting?

Youre in. I say we just dont even bother with a qb though. It's not working so why even play the game of finding one? Just run the ball or have the kicker kick it to our own guys.

Rvaan

Banned
Youre in. I say we just dont even bother with a qb though. It's not working so why even play the game of finding one? Just run the ball or have the kicker kick it to our own guys.

What if we draft Lamar Jackson as the QB and run the triple option? Flexbone for the win!

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
What if we draft Lamar Jackson as the QB and run the triple option? Flexbone for the win!

Hire a bunch of sumo wrestlers for the offense but one and have him play RB. If we can get like 3-4 yards all the time then we win and the other team wont even have time to play. We can even let the sumo wrestlers try for the field goals.

Clockwork5

Relocate them to Baltimore.

Hire a bunch of sumo wrestlers for the offense but one and have him play RB. If we can get like 3-4 yards all the time then we win and the other team wont even have time to play. We can even let the sumo wrestlers try for the field goals.

As president and Chief Sorrow Officer of the Cleveland Browns, I am going to need your resignation on my desk by the end of the day. I am promoting the homeless guy that said to draft JFF to new GM. At least he knew about football players and such.

Top Bottom