• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL '23/'24 |OT| Bradyless Edition

Who will win Super Bowl LVIII

• Kansas City Chiefs

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Philadelphia Eagles

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Buffalo Bills

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dallas Cowboys

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Miami Dolphins

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • San Francisco 49ers

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Cincinnati Bengals

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Baltimore Ravens

• Jacksonville Jaguars

• New York Jets

• Detroit Lions

• Los Angeles Chargers

• Seattle Seahawks

• Pittsburgh Steelers

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Minnesota Vikings

• New Orleans Saints

• Atlanta Falcons

• Cleveland Browns

• New York Giants

• Denver Broncos

• Green Bay Packers

• Tennessee Titans

• New England Patriots

• Carolina Panthers

• Tampa Bay Buccaneers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kilau

We all know he has nothing to do with his twitter account.

Can someone explain to me why wanting the 49's to win last night makes you maga? I couldn't stand the chiefs before the Swiftys got involved.
Taylor endorsed biden in 2020, so maga people hate her for that and by proxy kelce and by proxy again the Chiefs. Personally, I spent all my culture war points supporting the Chief's kid that got called a racist for face paint.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
So a singular player liking trump makes all its fans maga? Really?
Screenshot_2024-02-12_at_6.46.54_AM.png

AJUMP23

Gold Member
We all know he has nothing to do with his twitter account.

Can someone explain to me why wanting the 49's to win last night makes you maga? I couldn't stand the chiefs before the Swiftys got involved.

It doesn't there are just of dumb people on Twitter that think Swift will influence the election so they make a big deal about her. But people from al political walks can agree that support for either team has no bearing on ones political affiliation.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It doesn't there are just of dumb people on Twitter that think Swift will influence the election so they make a big deal about her. But people from al political walks can agree that support for either team has no bearing on ones political affiliation.
I can't stand the politicizing of absolutely everything by a certain group of people these days. I don't know how they live like that.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It's not, ppl are mental

I bet it’s also fake. The mentalness is: “hey let’s buy a cheap TCL TV and smash it and hope it goes viral and launch our tick tock careers!”

Although the second one at least looks less staged. I mean in the first one a lady starts cleaning the TV

Last edited:

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
This right here also shows Purdy's inexperience; Mahomes, Rodgers, or Brady would have had the TD there.
Uh no. He was about to get hit even before BA beat his man and the ball had to come out in a way where there was zero chance of an INT. Chiefs had 9 unopposed pressures in the game...most of that on the right side of the offensive line (their weakest unit) which just caved in the entire 2nd half yesterday.

Dural

Uh no. He was about to get hit even before BA beat his man and the ball had to come out in a way where there was zero chance of an INT. Chiefs had 9 unopposed pressures in the game...most of that on the right side of the offensive line (their weakest unit) which just caved in the entire 2nd half yesterday.

If he would have recognized the man to man coverage to the left before the ball was snapped like the best QBs do he would have had the TD. He was looking to the right the entire time. The defender fell down almost immediately, he had time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Amazingly too, Pacheko did nothing all game and even fumbled. And Kelce got some good receiving yards, but neither guy even got a TD. And KC still won.

offtopic

If he would have recognized the man to man coverage to the left before the ball was snapped like the best QBs do he would have had the TD. He was looking to the right the entire time. The defender fell down almost immediately, he had time.
Not a single NFL analyst (whether ex-QB or not), even the Purdy doubters who love to take shots whenever they can, have had that wild take. Just some rando on a forum I guess. No QB would have completed that without just guessing what would happen and taking a massive risk on a blind throw on a 3rd down where you could not do that.

offtopic

I find it strange that people keep calling the most important play of the game (and NOTHING to do with Purdy or Mahomes) a "muffed punt". I have always thought that implied someone tried to catch the punt and failed. In this case it was a short punt that RANDOMLY went off a 49er foot and they couldn't get back on it in time. That doesn't happen this entire game changes dramatically.

I find it strange that people keep calling the most important play of the game (and NOTHING to do with Purdy or Mahomes) a "muffed punt". I have always thought that implied someone tried to catch the punt and failed. In this case it was a short punt that RANDOMLY went off a 49er foot and they couldn't get back on it in time. That doesn't happen this entire game changes dramatically.
They didn't get that extra point blocked and it would have been a different game too

2 critical special teams mistakes doomed the 49ers

offtopic

They didn't get that extra point blocked and it would have been a different game too

2 critical special teams mistakes doomed the 49ers
The extra point block was a bad kick/mistake for sure. The punt off the ankle is way more of just bad luck than a bad play/mistake. Any time a punt is shanked short bad things can happen as punt blockers are focused on blocking their guy and even if the returner is screaming to get out of the way they have no idea where the ball is.

I mean, I think Mahomes is the best QB in football but in this game I think it was more just how he managed it and that the 49ers defense without Greenlaw was compromised and got tired. I wouldn't call any of his throws or runs particularly memorable or difficult. They were simply "solid/good, smart plays" (except for 3 throws that were definitely mistakes).

offtopic

Kyle has some weaknesses and blind-spots but is overall a great coach. I complain about him a lot (and I think receiving first was a mistake) but I don't want him fired by any stretch. The defense definitely took a big step back this year so I'm not surprised Wilks was fired.

None of that matters and they win this super bowl if the right side of their offensive line didn't play like they were a high school JV team in pass protection - bottom 1/3 of the league by PFF (even with the best left tackle in the league) all year long and it was always extremely apparent when they played good, smart teams who just abused that fact. For comparison, the 3 teams they faced in the playoffs all had offensive lines ranked in the top 6 for pass protection. Haters love to point our Purdy had a lot of weapons but always ignore that he had very little protection.

The top priority has to be to fix the offensive line.

demigod

Kyle has some weaknesses and blind-spots but is overall a great coach. I complain about him a lot (and I think receiving first was a mistake) but I don't want him fired by any stretch. The defense definitely took a big step back this year so I'm not surprised Wilks was fired.

None of that matters and they win this super bowl if the right side of their offensive line didn't play like they were a high school JV team in pass protection - bottom 1/3 of the league by PFF (even with the best left tackle in the league) all year long and it was always extremely apparent when they played good, smart teams who just abused that fact. For comparison, the 3 teams they faced in the playoffs all had offensive lines ranked in the top 6 for pass protection. Haters love to point our Purdy had a lot of weapons but always ignore that he had very little protection.

The top priority has to be to fix the offensive line.
The OL got injured and his replacement didn’t do his job on that last play.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The hindsight about getting ball first in OT or not is a controversy only because KC won with a TD. If SF blanked KC on their drive, or it was tied and SF scored again on their second possession ending the game it would had been a great call by Shanahan.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
The hindsight about getting ball first in OT or not is a controversy only because KC won with a TD. If SF blanked KC on their drive, or it was tied and SF scored again on their second possession ending the game it would had been a great call by Shanahan.

Going second is more advantageous because you know what you need to do. Had San Fran not scored, KC would play call normally and if needed, play the field position game with punting. Since SF scored, you know you are in four down territory until you are in field goal which that changes your play calling. The same would have been true if San Fran scored a TD except you'd play four down football until you matched the score or turned it over. You still have to execute, but given the choice, you'd want the ball second.

Last edited:

Moneal

The hindsight about getting all first in OT or not is a controversy only because KC won with a TD. If SF blanked KC on their drive, or it was tied and SF scored again on their second possession ending the game it would had been a great call by Shanahan.
nah, you never give the best QB in the league an extra down. the mindset when you know you have to score and get 4 downs every time changes everything. we even saw that on the last KC drive. SF held them to a 4th and 1 on the 34. If they had done that taking the ball second, KC would have punted. As soon as the 9ers kicked the FG, KC was going to go for it on 4th every time until they got into field goal range. The smart play would be to give your QB the extra down all the way down the field instead of giving it to Mahomes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Crazy mass shooting at KC Chiefs parade. 1 dead, 20+ wounded, some suspects arrested.

offtopic

Hard to blank the Chiefs when you didn't have Greenlaw, your defense was sort of getting solved, the Chiefs had 4 downs to pick up firsts, and (worst case for Chiefs) their kicker is money from anything less than 65 yards. I'm not of the opinion that it was the stupidest decision of all time but it was still the wrong one. Always be the one in control when you know what, exactly, you need.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Crazy mass shooting at KC Chiefs parade. 1 dead, 20+ wounded, some suspects arrested.

Normal day in KC, sadly

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

get in an argument and start spraying AR15s into a crowd of thousands. Stay sane, America.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
apparently the chiefs picked up a star rugby player? should be interesting

The Rugby signings are always interesting. If it pans out even halfway they get a rostered player for essentially nothing.

If it works out and they get a fucking Pro-Bowler like the Eagles did I'm gonna be pissed.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Anyone want to volunteer to start the 24-25 thread ?

Fucking 49ers I watched at least part of almost every game last year just for them to lose AGAIN on the last play in the Super Bowl. Im not going to be as heavily invested this year I imagine they will get semi far in the payoffs again but I have no faith that they can actually win :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom