• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2K to make a comeback next year? HipHopGamer firmly believes so

gogosox8

Would the nfl allow this though? I'm sure they would want have the license go to one publisher. That's how EA got the license in the first place. Maybe the nfl does the same deal with 2k but I don't see them allowing more than one company to make nfl games.

The NFL can't be that stupid. They must know how stale Madden is getting and how much buzz 2k14 is generating. No more exclusivity bullshit. Let them battle it out.

racismsolved8bcv5.gif

let's see 2K solve racism like EA did though

:lol :lol

AlphaK

A proper NFL2k15 next year would do absolute gangbusters.

Return of the king indeed.

it won't happen :(

Actually the deal in place right now is the fault of the NFLPA, not the NFL. 2K offered more money last time around, but guys in the PA have tight connections with guys at EA.

Do you have a source for the idea that 2k would be able to bring more cash to the table than EA for the NFL exclusive rights?

Do you guys really think the next NFL2K will even be good.

It's been nearly 10 years; the team who did the old 2Ks have most certainly dispersed. They're going to need time to develop something decent. You all saw what happened to NBA Live after three years.
Get the band back together. It worked in Blues Brothers.

belushy

Banned
If it does happen to where they are allowed to make NFL games next year, I'd personally wait for 2k16 for any sort of a stable and fully functioning football game. I doubt they'd have the time to even make 2k15, unless the NFL is letting them do this UTTR to prepare for a game next year.

GQman2121

Banned
If the NFL decides not to go with an exclusive model, no amount of money will matter.

But the NFL will go with the exclusive model because that's where the money is. They have no interest in the quality of the product produced using their license.

However......

Madden sales have plummeted over the last 5 years. At some point the cost isn't worth it.

Just a few months ago nobody would have thought they would have gotten out of College Football games but they killed off NCAA.

If the deal dies I fully expect it to die from EA's end and not the NFL. The league would love those big ass checks from EA but at some point those checks aren't worth writing.

...this is actually our only hope. That EA kills a deal because the investment outweighs their generated revenue. But even then I see them just cutting more corners and shitting out a cheaper product to hold on to the rights.

I want this to be true, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I spent the entire last generation waiting for 2K to have the chance to make another NFL game.

The NFL doesn't give a shit about the quality of the games, and they prefer having one licensed provider for everything so they will go with who gives them the biggest check.

Now is EA still willing to cut that check?

Can't see the NFL signing up for an exclusive again.

Didn't EA get sued and have to make the exclusivity payments to all people who bought the games?

If 2K can make football games again, then let EA work on baseball again. The MVP series was ah-mazing.

It is wide open for EA. 2K sports has no MLB contract. Sony makes MLB The Show but as of right now, there is no known MLB game for the xbox One or xbox 360.
(Or Wii or WiiU, LOL.)

jmood88

Hopefully the NFL is taking a hard look at how much more care that 2K takes with its sports games over what EA does. The "next-gen" Madden should be looked at as an embarrassment.

As much as I wish that the NFL cared about the quality of the games, in reality they don't give a damn. They just care about the check clearing.

is 2k going to hire someone to actually produce a decent set of online features? this game is worthless if they're going to pull the same shit that NBA 2k has online.... which is basically the same shit it had during dreamcast. they even removed association mode from the ps4/xbone version because they wouldn't get it to work for however many years online. and maybe even most baffling is WHY CAN MY OPPONENT AND I NOT CONCURRENTLY EDIT OUR OPTIONS?! why the fuck do i have to wait and watch my opponent do his shit, then RE-PAUSE it to do mine? it makes no sense.

for all the shit EA takes on the field of madden, CCM is incredible. full online owners mode with you and 31 of your bros. drafts, contracts, franchise tags, draft pick trades, players of the week/year, probowl voting, building up your players with XP.... just a great mode.

i know neogaf doesn't really give a shit about this stuff and is more interested in single player halftime shows and if the crowd looks realistic but i have no time for that shit when online is broken.

with all that said i DO hope that 2k comes back and there is some competition. competition from NFL2k5 produced the greatest football game in history: madden 06 (ps2/xbox... not the god awful 360 version). DO IT NFL!

slabrock

Banned
Would the nfl allow this though? I'm sure they would want have the license go to one publisher. That's how EA got the license in the first place. Maybe the nfl does the same deal with 2k but I don't see them allowing more than one company to make nfl games.
Sales declined like 40% this year for madden. Probably not good timing for EA; going into negotiations with the NFL against 2k.

RickA238

Well, the NFL is letting their exclusive deal with Riddell (the company that makes the player helmets) lapse at the end of this season, so I wouldn't be surprised if non-exclusive deals become more common with NFL-associated equipment and merchandise.

Fixed1979

I'd be willing to wager that anyone who believes this rumor will end up disappointed.

Is there a source for this?

He's heard rumors...

I'd be shocked if the NFL/NFLPA is even allowed to have player likeness scanned in by a company competing with EA. The whole thing doesn't make any sense.

Spinluck

Do you guys really think the next NFL2K will even be good.

It's been nearly 10 years; the team who did the old 2Ks have most certainly dispersed. They're going to need time to develop something decent. You all saw what happened to NBA Live after three years.

It's better than another shitty Madden game.

With that said, I'm taking it with s huge grain of salt. Madden doesn't deserve the license anymore, but it's really up to the NFL.

kyo27

Never heard of this guy. Is he credible and what is he basing this on? Some guy from the NFLPA said in a reddit AMA that the NFL is happy with it's deal with EA or something like that.

PLEEEEASE let this be true.
I'm sure that the first one won't be perfect, but I can't wait to see what it turns into (and turns Madden into) in a couple years.

codhand

I'd be willing to wager that anyone who believes this rumor will end up disappointed.

did you watch the video? he spoke of NFL players being scanned using the same tech that powers NBA 2K, coupled with the ending of the Madden / NFL exclusivity agreement, it becomes quite a feasible rumor.

Top Bottom