• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2K to make a comeback next year? HipHopGamer firmly believes so

DoubleTap

I will reserve all my hype until these two guys are back.

....aw hell. I'm hyped. What if 2k gets exclusive rights?! (They've certainly got the money and the pedigree with how awesome NBA 2k is)

I hope not. I'm all for NFL2K coming back, but we need competition. FIFA wouldn't be where it is , if PES wasn't around to try and outdo it.

HipHopGamer as the source so I'm not ready to get hyped, but if true..................................

iwtamWHaZC8DS.gif

I haven't bought a football game in years, I was a 2k guy and this would be amazing.

Tenumi

Banned
It's all on the NFL for this to happen, though. Wasn't it the NFL that pursued the exclusivity agreement to begin with? At least that's what I remember reading.

Nevertheless, competition is good. I've never played the NFL 2k games, but if it means better NFL video games period, I'm all for it.

jakncoke

Banned
I always hated 2k football games, But this will make EA either up their game or head to sports franchise where they deserve. So hopefully 2k can either put out a epic product or cause EA to put out a epic product

Do you guys really think the next NFL2K will even be good.

It's been nearly 10 years; the team who did the old 2Ks have most certainly dispersed. They're going to need time to develop something decent. You all saw what happened to NBA Live after three years.

The difference is that 2K had a great game and then left while NBA Live had an awful game, left and then proceeded to come back with the exact same thing. Even if 2K just made an HD version they'd still be doing better than NBA Live
slight hyperbole

Fatmanp

I remember the days on 2k5 on the original Xbox playing online. Twas epic. I did not even know the rules of the NFL then :)

The only way the NFL doesn't re-up is if they realize the damage Madden is doing to their brand, and I don't think the NFL sees anything but the paycheck they have been getting.

I always hated 2k football games, But this will make EA either up their game or head to sports franchise where they deserve. So hopefully 2k can either put out a epic product or cause EA to put out a epic product

does competition mean anything? look at how horrible MLB 2k is (with competition). look at how good NHL is (with no competition). some developers are good at certain types of games and some aren't. to some degree, competition doesn't really matter but i do think both games would benefit in the realm of football. maybe 2k would improve their god awful online and maybe tiburon would actually look into getting a true physics engine.

i hope if 2k does comeback they use the backbreaker system. i know it was rough around the edges but i think with a good developer behind it they can make it viable

stawnkald

More important than just 2K getting back into the NFL, letting anyone make a football game is the real big deal. Who knows what great developer could have made something awesome, aside from the 2K guys? Shit, maybe Sony has spent all these years, in secret, making an NFL game worthy of their PS1 era NFL Gameday franchise and the current quality of The Show.

...well, probably not, but getting some extra horses in the race is beneficial to everyone.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This would be awesome from a competition standpoint if nothing else. That being said, HipHopGamer isn't reliable in the slightest.

I've battled love and hate the last few days over the next gen Madden.

Sometimes it feels okay, sometimes it feels great... but most of the time it feels like just a rehash of what I've been playing since 2001. I remember buying Madden 2001 the day it was released in stores... and it sat on my computer desk at my parents house for 2 months before I was able to find a PS2 to play it on. I played this game so many hours... I loved everything about it. That was the high point for Madden. It's went downhill ever since then. EA Tiburon has been stagnant... and have let other developers simply waltz past them. If it wasn't for EA and their money backing the license this series would have been gone from Tiburons hands a long time ago. There's simply no innovation or evolution in their development process.

does competition mean anything? look at how horrible MLB 2k is (with competition). look at how good NHL is (with no competition). some developers are good at certain types of games and some aren't. to some degree, competition doesn't really matter but i do think both games would benefit in the realm of football. maybe 2k would improve their god awful online and maybe tiburon would actually look into getting a true physics engine.

i hope if 2k does comeback they use the backbreaker system. i know it was rough around the edges but i think with a good developer behind it they can make it viable

I don't know if MLB is a good example here, because, really, MLb is gonna sell to the half of the sports fan crowds that don't own a Sony system :p

Kade

Never heard of this guy. Is he credible and what is he basing this on? Some guy from the NFLPA said in a reddit AMA that the NFL is happy with it's deal with EA or something like that.

He's a shitty YouTube personality who dick rides publishers and developers for free lanyards and cinch bags and complains about the integrity of other "games journalism" but is too afraid to call specific people out because they might not send him any more free stuff. He also claimed on multiple occasions that NBA Live 14 was going to be on-par or better than 2K14 lol. He's not to be trusted or taken seriously.

Considering how big of a whooping NBA2K series has given to Live, I figure EA is going to throw a lot of money at the NFL to secure an exclusive license for another 10 years.

They aren't making NCAA Football $$ anymore.

God, I hope this rumor is true. I'm getting my PS4 in 2014 for NBA 2k14 and Destiny, but if neither of those two titles were coming I'd get a PS4 for a next generation version of NFL 2k. Hell yeah I would.

Screw Madden (not EA...MADDEN GAME)

And developers shouldn't need competition to drive innovation. Well, the lead title shouldn't.

NBA 2k had to grab the lead from the NBA Live series. They took it in spades.

Hopefully they can do the same with football.

I went back and played Live 10...it's shite except for the shot animations.

dakun

This is the same guy who said NBA Live was more ready than 2K for next-gen.

So excuse me if I don't believe a word from this dude.

"THE SNEAKER.. YOU CAN SEE THE STITCHING.. IN THE SNEEEEAKER DUDE"..

this guy knows how to suck up to companies to get into the industry.. the one guys EA will be sure to invite to press events.. and that's people how the gaming industry works.
Talk truth, you get blacklisted.. suck up and you get an invite and free games.

He's a shitty YouTube personality who dick rides publishers and developers for free lanyards and cinch bags and complains about the integrity of other "games journalism" but is too afraid to call specific people out because they might not send him any more free stuff. He also claimed on multiple occasions that NBA Live 14 was going to be on-par or better than 2K14 lol. He's not to be trusted or taken seriously.

not to forget his famous videos where he's guessing how some female gaming personalities would be in bed.

What's the odds that NFL sticks with exclusivity.. But gives it to 2k and ea never makes madden again.

Slim, just because I can't see 2K beating EA in a bidding war.

But who knows, maybe EA sees the writing on the wall, and hitches their wagon solely on the FIFA train for next gen.

AlphaK

More important than just 2K getting back into the NFL, letting anyone make a football game is the real big deal. Who knows what great developer could have made something awesome, aside from the 2K guys? Shit, maybe Sony has spent all these years, in secret, making an NFL game worthy of their PS1 era NFL Gameday franchise and the current quality of The Show.

...well, probably not, but getting some extra horses in the race is beneficial to everyone.

I would actually be pretty excited for a new NFL Gameday title, especially if sony put the right people on it. Anything but madden, i haven't played those games since Madden 2010.

Hope it happens. It would be in the NFL's best interest to move away from exclusive deals at this point. They certainly don't need the EA injection anymore and stand to make more by licencing their brand to whomever wants it. I believe the same goes for theit TV deals as well. I just don't see the logic in them staying with exclusive deals, and I think they may be opening their eyes to this as well.

pastapadre

Neo Member
Last I heard EA was still in negotiations with the NFL. They need each other at this point. NFL can't just drop EA, because then there would be no NFL video game on the market for a couple years. EA knows this so they're going to push for the most favorable deal possible. We already saw this happen when they extended for a year when heading into a possible lockout but needed a $25 million credit to do so. The NFL could open it up to multiple parties but that isn't how they handle their business - they'd make far less with multiple companies paying in than they do with an exclusive, and they'd lose some of the control they have over every little thing done with the products.

I wrote about all this in March, but that nothing has been officially completed at this point is at least curious.
http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/03/01/nflpa-explains-position-on-the-exclusive-license

lol you think MLB 2k had any effect on what the show was doing?

It pressured them to add right stick controls at the very least.

this guy knows how to suck up to companies to get into the industry.. the one guys EA will be sure to invite to press events.. and that's people how the gaming industry works.
Talk truth, you get blacklisted.. suck up and you get an invite and free games..

Speaking from personal experience this is absolutely true.

I'm sure T2 would fund them the money needed...But not for an exclusive license.
Hmmm. At this rate, 2K wouldn't even need an exclusive deal to get people's attention. It would just be quite the story if it were to happen

2K is part of Take-Two . . . you know, the company that just raked in $1 Billion in revenue from GTA V sales. They got bank.
How could I forget that. I'm slipping lol

Let's stop wishing and hoping. Let's at least attempt to make it happen. GAF isn't the only group that wants this.

We've seen how much of an impact gamers can have with their voice. So let's start it up. Hit twitter and facebook with #BringBackNFL2K. Tweet it to the NFL and everyone involved. Hell, tweet it to players too. They stand to benefit just as much. Petitions, videos, letters, lets get to work and see what happens.

Striker

Considering NFL 2k5 is better than Madden 2013, yes.
So is Madden '05. Who knows what happens.

But really, with NCAA having its issues and dropping the game from EA, there's just Madden and nothing else now. Competition helps everybody so I'm hopeful the exclusivity can be wiped also. I doubt it since the NFL wants it the most.

Top Bottom