• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2K to make a comeback next year? HipHopGamer firmly believes so

I haven't played a football game consistently since NFL 2K5. I rented Madden a few times here and there when each new one came out, but couldn't play more than 30 minutes cause of how shit it was.

They could seriously reuse 2k5's engine with updated graphics and rosters and I would be in heaven. I hope this rumor us true, but I'm not going to get my hopes up. Either way though I highly doubt EA will have exclusivity forever. We will see a NFL game from another developer someday I imagine.

Cudder

So if EA's NFL contract expires next year, does that mean 2k can begin working on an NFL game right now? What happens if they begin working on one and EA snaps up the rights again?

RedSwirl

It was simply where the entire genre plateaued. EA/NFL exclusivity killed any chance of competition and EA has done as little as possible year after year. We are literally stuck with Madden 05 with updated rosters, gang tackles and HD graphics. It's time to progress a little bit.

Y'know I was worried that I haven't played an NFL game since Madden 07. Has that little really changed since then?

Just give us Top Spin 5, 2K!

Yes Jesus!

Zep

Banned
They tried that route with APF 2K8. It didn't work.

Not exactly. 2K wasted their time and money with the legend players. That money should have went towards the best customization a sports game could buy. Have a livery where you could infact use real team logos, create stadiums, along with what EA did with NCAA football where the players name wasn't used but the ratings resembled the player.

They were too chickenshit at the time to do something that risky and piss off the NFL. We're about to see if that actually pays off for them.

No matter the cost? Actually, the absurd cost of the NFL license actually makes the exclusivity of questionable worth to EA. If it gets higher, they shouldn't bother. We talk about game budgets being crazy high and making profit hard to find, Madden starts $50 + million in the hole every year before even accounting for development and marketing costs.

Indeed. EA walked away from the MLB when it got too expensive. And it was a smart move by EA . . . that high-priced deal ended being an annual money-loser for 2K Sports. But it is over now.

And I'm still very curious as to what happens with the MLB now . . . Sony's platforms will have MLB The Show. But will there be no MLB baseball game for the xbox 360 and xbox One?!?!? Anyone know?

Not exactly. 2K wasted their time and money with the legend players. That money should have went towards the best customization a sports game could buy. Have a livery where you could infact use real team logos, create stadiums, along with what EA did with NCAA football where the players name wasn't used but the ratings resembled the player.

They were too chickenshit at the time to do something that risky and piss off the NFL. We're about to see if that actually pays off for them.
Uh . . . yeah, that didn't work out so well for EA and 2K Sports was wise not to go that route.

Perhaps a $40 downloadable only game with deep customization but no real team logos. Let players create (and share) their own created teams but make sure it doesn't violate any team or player rights.

a916

So if EA's NFL contract expires next year, does that mean 2k can begin working on an NFL game right now? What happens if they begin working on one and EA snaps up the rights again?

They can work on it right now if they want... THQ did that with their wrestling game and released WWF Wrestlemania 2000 literally months after Acclaim's contract ended and THQ's kicked in. (Not sure how much support they'd get from the NFL though as THQ probably knew they had a contract)

Players Association has to buy in to Take Two as well.

The Madden franchise has been a stick in my virtual football loving ass for over 20 years. PLEASE let this story be true.

$(KGrHqN,!hsE3,H)57rtBOChgy5VwQ~~0_35.JPG

Zep

Banned
Uh . . . yeah, that didn't work out so well for EA and 2K Sports was wise not to go that route.

Perhaps a $40 downloadable only game with deep customization but no real team logos. Let players create (and share) their own created teams but make sure it doesn't violate any team or player rights.

We're talking 2K8 here. EA was making good money on college football titles and a key component behind it was the ability to recognize and edit each college player. This whole fiasco with players likenesses is new. 2K just missed the boat.

Brinbe

MEGAAAAAAAAATON

Seriously, for how good NBA is, VC's first baby was always football... I can't even imagine how amazing a next gen NFL2K15 would be. God, I want it.

rvy

Banned
I don't understand how American Football works. I don't like or dislike American Football. The only joy I can find in it is watching A Football Life.

I will buy this game.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
MEGAAAAAAAAATON

Seriously, for how good NBA is, VC's first baby was always football... I can't even imagine how amazing a next gen NFL2K15 would be. God, I want it.

How is this a megaton? There is nothing to back up anything this guy is saying. He doesn't give a source to anything he's saying. As much as I want it to be true, it's nothing more than the same rumors we've already heard over and over.

Why not just release a game with a Forza level of editing with layers for logos and such? You could even make stadiums or whatever. As long as the community makes it it wouldn't violate anything and would circumvent any "exclusive" deal anyone has. If someone had the time I bet you'd get an NFL and an NCAA game at the same time.

Alchemy

2k could be working on a football sim now, or for the past couple of years. The only thing they can't do is sell a football game using NFL teams, players, and other associated stuff like stadiums. The game could actually be built right now and waiting for the EA contract to be up.

I doubt it is, because it would be a bit of a crazy gamble to develop a game with the chance it will never be released, but who the hell knows. I just want NFL 2k back.

Allforce

Why not just release a game with a Forza level of editing with layers for logos and such? You could even make stadiums or whatever. As long as the community makes it it wouldn't violate anything and would circumvent any "exclusive" deal anyone has. If someone had the time I bet you'd get an NFL and an NCAA game at the same time.

I've been shouting for this to happen for years, just have 2K make "All Pro Football 2K15" with the layers and color editing from Forza, and let the community build the game. Just give us the solid core mechanics of the game and a way to swap rosters/logos/uniforms and within a week the guys at Operation Sports will have churned out every football team thats ever stepped on a field in the last 50 years.

It would be easy money, but would they burn bridges with the NFL? If you're out of the game for 10 years what do you have left? Might as well throw a hail mary.

REDRZA

Banned
They make two solid sports games, basketball and football. Get it right or pay the price, Budnick.

They haven't made a football game in years. And the last one wasn't an NFL game, and was running on an outdated engine.

2ks NHL games at one time were solid too, should we count the past? No, 2k makes one good sports game, NBA.

a916

2k could be working on a football sim now, or for the past couple of years. The only thing they can't do is sell a football game using NFL teams, players, and other associated stuff like stadiums. The game could actually be built right now and waiting for the EA contract to be up.

I doubt it is, because it would be a bit of a crazy gamble to develop a game with the chance it will never be released, but who the hell knows. I just want NFL 2k back.

Or, if they do end up sinking so much money, they're going to the NFL and throwing more money because of what they've already invested. (I doubt that too though...)

AColdDay

They added a bunch of meaningless licenses of oldass players which caused the price up to $60. They aren't competing neck and neck with madden w/o the license. Also online communities have evolved greatly since 2008.

With deep customization options, I think that if you let players share custom rosters and teams easily online then a game wouldn't need an NFL license.

admartian

It won't happen. At least not by the time football games/Madden releases next year. AT BEST, it'll be 2015 (and they start after that June 2014 license expiry - assuming it happens). So yeah, hopeful at best.

Sadly.

Do you guys really think the next NFL2K will even be good.

It's been nearly 10 years; the team who did the old 2Ks have most certainly dispersed. They're going to need time to develop something decent. You all saw what happened to NBA Live after three years.

I agree. Unless they are allowed 3 years development we will end up with another all pro football which played and looked like shit.

It doesn't mean shit and he doesn't know shit. No matter the cost, EA is not losing the NFL license.

Don't be so sure. There were a large number of players and retired players not entirely happy with the obvious collusion that occured between EA and the players' union in locking down the deal last time.

Also, EA still has a bit of a stink on them after the NCAA lawsuit.

Add to that the slipping sales of Madden, the lukewarm reception if the new title, and the NFL's more modern approach to new media (they've always been behind MLB and the NBA in terms of how they use their IP digitally) and we might see a new NFL deal without the exclusivity.

Iacobellis

What happened over at EA/Tiburon, though? I remember Madden easily being pretty top-notch during the PS2 generation. Maybe I was just being naive.

Lying is such a strong word.
It's called prediction. Patch does it all the time.

Let's be nice and clubs, clubs.
No he did not predict that he said something like he saw it or something. Forgive me for saying lying but I lost alot of credit from HHG but I still subscribed on youtube.

oSoLucky

They could always work on the engine, animations, models, etc. as if for a generic football game and just add a layer of specifics on top later.

C'mon. It wasn't bad.

hQp1IxbtU.gif

it honestly was not a good game. the animations looked really good but the game played like shit. if you want a good looking game then play back breaker on ps3/360. APF did some good things and you can cherry pick some good looking gifs accordingly but actually playing the game was very painful

Let's stop wishing and hoping. Let's at least attempt to make it happen. GAF isn't the only group that wants this.

We've seen how much of an impact gamers can have with their voice. So let's start it up. Hit twitter and facebook with #BringBackNFL2K. Tweet it to the NFL and everyone involved. Hell, tweet it to players too. They stand to benefit just as much. Petitions, videos, letters, lets get to work and see what happens.

Nah. I'd rather the message be "bring back COMPETITION" than just "bring back 2K." Because competition is what ultimately makes these products evolve and improve. And that's what we as gamers want.

Do you have a source for the idea that 2k would be able to bring more cash to the table than EA for the NFL exclusive rights?

Well 2K is owned by Take-Two. And Take-Two has loads of money from al sorts of things, including GTA V. So maybe they could offer a lot. I never said that they could offer more though. Just that when the exclusivity was first claimed by EA back in 2004, 2K did offer more. The guys at the NFLPA just would not accept an offer from anyone other than EA.

Omega

Banned
system seller right here.

I told myself I wouldn't spend 400 on a system for one game, but this is the exception. I played the fuck out of NFL 2K games back in the day.

So hope this happens, would actually buy a football game for the first time in years. But not holding my breath considering who the news is coming from.

Zinthar

Don't be so sure. There were a large number of players and retired players not entirely happy with the obvious collusion that occured between EA and the players' union in locking down the deal last time.

Also, EA still has a bit of a stink on them after the NCAA lawsuit.

Add to that the slipping sales of Madden, the lukewarm reception if the new title, and the NFL's more modern approach to new media (they've always been behind MLB and the NBA in terms of how they use their IP digitally) and we might see a new NFL deal without the exclusivity.

All good points. And at the time that the NFL made the original deal, Madden was selling much better than it currently does and had more critical acclaim. The NFL can't ignore that it's hurt at least somewhat when the digital representation of its sport is so far behind that of soccer, basketball, and even hockey.

Additionally, the terms of the exclusive contract is probably much less lucrative to the NFL now than it had been because it's likely that there's a royalty associated with it, and sales of Madden are down. Although I'm still not especially hopeful that it'll happen, it won't be a total shock if the NFL opts to not renew.

Jabba

Banned
That would be amazing. My nephew hasn't bought a football game SINCE 2K5. LOL
I'd buy him a 2K football game on his console of choice immediately. He's 24 now. He's always hated Madden compared to 2K.

jmizzal

Make it happen 2K
EA is not gonna pony up the money to the NFL
and the NFL has to see how much money NBA 2K is making and how good those games are

E3 2014 announcement?

Vandiger

Seriously, would buy a football game for the first time since Madden 06. If natural motion's euphoria engine is incorporated, watch out.

C'mon NFL . . . go nonexclusive and have them pay a % based on sales. They'll compete and come up with great games. And some big fans will buy both games.

Top Bottom