• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2K to make a comeback next year? HipHopGamer firmly believes so

Afrikan

hQp1IxbtU.gif

So Good :)

riceapftdcatch.gif

OMG NEXT GEN CROWDZ 6 years ago. :/
OMG NEXT GEN TRUE STEP 6 years ago.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT.

If there's a PC version I might literally cry

I'd like to see FMT go in on Madden 25 like he goes in on 2k for some balance. I saw next gen Madden, and it's a damn disgrace they get away with charging $60 for that. Sales have been going down for a reason, and even next gen Madden has no buzz surrounding it. Certainly compared to the buzz for next gen NBA 2k14. 2k would bring some excitement to NFL football just for the potential for something progressive.

madden 25 current gen is a piece of shit and i have said that since its release.

madden 25 next gen is actually a very good game and i'm liking it a lot. i take it when you say you "saw" the game you mean that literally. you SAW it and didn't actually play it. i have no interest in shilling for EA or anyone else. i call it like i see it. madden 25 current gen is the worst football game since madden 06 360. you cannot play defense, it's truly a piece of shit and that is why our league collapsed.

next gen madden is much improved in nearly every area. zone defense is better than it has been in a long time. man defense is improved. it is also more fair in the run game because of true step or whatever they did. very difficult to cut on a dime immediately. this shows benefits in all phases of the game because you can fit balls into spaces you couldn't before since the D is unlikely to make that swift cut that few humans should be able to make towards the ball.

but it is a shame that the graphics show minimal difference. people buy a new console and they want the game to look outstanding, and madden really doesn't. i'm not much of a stickler for graphics. if they are competent i'm fine. the animations in EA are mostly shit, the presentation is garbage as well.

the difference between madden and 2k is control. this goes for NFL and NBA 2k. it's like you get stuck in these dumb ass animations and you can't do anything about it until the animation ends. i've played quite a bit of 2k14 on ps4 and i do like the game a lot but it is so fucking frustrating when your opponent on D "locks on" to you and forces you into an animation that you can't get out of and boom turnover. or you are trying to get a rebound and your guy is stuck in an animation where there is no way he can get the ball. there was a lot of this in 2k as well, especially on defense.

anyways if you don't like madden you don't. im sure you saw some youtube vids of next gen and call it a piece of shit and thats ok but it plays a good game of football and i'm enjoying it. i agree it shouldn't be a $60 game.... glad i got it for $40 with the buy 2 get 1 free amazon deal :D

Hyunashi

While I am extremely excited if 2K make a NFL game, I think it might take them a few years to get it on the level of their NBA franchise (which is a tier above anything EA can offer).

I would still rather support 2K at the end of the day and hopefully it happens. Please NHL next.

imtehman

Banned
lol alright. why do i care about metacritic? i have played countless hours of every football game. i have run online leagues for every madden and every 2k that has ever had online leagues available. i don't need a reviewer to tell me which games were better

how can u say that nfl2k5 wasn't the best football game that year? madden didnt even have gang tackles until like 2 years later after that

how can u say that nfl2k5 wasn't the best football game that year? madden didnt even have gang tackles until like 2 years later after that

i liked madden better. it did lack gang tackles which sucks, but i loved the vision cone and it's nice that things like QB spy worked (which they did not in NFL 2k5). just personal preference brotha

Zach

Holy crap. If NFL 2K comes back... I will lose my mind! Can't wait to read this entire thread at work tomorrow!

Korezo

I hope it's true, but I doubt EA would allow it because Madden will become like NBA live and EA will lose a ton of money.

linkboy

Well, and this is pure speculation, since EA dropped the NCAA license maybe NFL 2K could become NCAA Football 2K?

With how toxic the NCAA brand is due to the player likeness lawsuit, nobody is going touch that brand with a 10ft pole.

ray lewis can suck a dick for using performance enhancing drugs to play in the superbowl but then i will revoke the dick sucking because he stuck up for ahmad brooks this past week

geomon

All Pro 2K8 and Backbreaker were better football games than Madden this entire gen and nobody cared because they weren't NFL games. 2K can scan whoever they want for whatever but unless it's NFL approved, nobody will care again and it won't sell a dime.

Have u all forgotten the last nhl games thy did or the mlb series. One great series does not an unquestionably superior developer make

2k5 was a decade ago and if u srsly think theyll bring back the crib, lol

RS4-

The gamebreaking shit in 2k is still better than the complete shit that is in Madden year in and year out.

And yeah, the MLB 2k games are just...lol.

fade_

Didn't EA have to pay money in a class action lawsuit because of the monopoly? I got a check in the mail for it even. Wouldn't that hinder them going exclusive again?

Omega

Banned
what about the "care" they put into MLB 2k?

p.s.

there was never an NFL 2k that was better than a madden released in the same year but competition is good for everyone

p.s.s.

if you are desperate for some 2k football and have the transfer cable for 360 there are guys who release the updated rosters every year. I've been playing it a bit here and there. kap is pretty dirty though lulz

Madden 04 was garbage. 2K5 was better than 2005.

It wasn't 2K that year, I think that's when all their sports titles went by ESPN Whatever

All Pro 2K8 and Backbreaker were better football games than Madden this entire gen and nobody cared because they weren't NFL games. 2K can scan whoever they want for whatever but unless it's NFL approved, nobody will care again and it won't sell a dime.

correction: NFL and NFLPA approved! remember madden 64!?

NFL, make this the new Sunday Night Football intro - get on it.

NFL gameday had classic music and really pushed the genre forward with the 3d graphics. completely put EA to shame and forced them to go 3D even though they said it wasn't possible on psone.

then for some reason sony handed the keys over to 989 studios and the series just went to absolute shit. i'm not sure if 989 was the NEW developer or if some guys that worked on gameday 96-98 went to that part of sony or what but god damn the game dropped off a cliff after that.

i also thought NFL fever did some good things although the game itself wasn't very good. thought the "read and lead" passing system could be valuable with some fine tuning but then MS got rid of their sports division. fucking baffling too because there were some legendary games (nba inside drive, rallisport)

sweet memories of when there was competition in the football world :(

OmahaG8

NFL gameday had classic music and really pushed the genre forward with the 3d graphics. completely put EA to shame and forced them to go 3D even though they said it wasn't possible on psone.

then for some reason sony handed the keys over to 989 studios and the series just went to absolute shit. i'm not sure if 989 was the NEW developer or if some guys that worked on gameday 96-98 went to that part of sony or what but god damn the game dropped off a cliff after that.

i also thought NFL fever did some good things although the game itself wasn't very good. thought the "read and lead" passing system could be valuable with some fine tuning but then MS got rid of their sports division. fucking baffling too because there were some legendary games (nba inside drive, rallisport)

sweet memories of when there was competition in the football world :(

Ha, forgot all about 989. 2K on Dreamcast will always be special to me.

Also Rallisport Challenge 1/2 and Links are amazing. *nods*

The Jason

Really hope this is true. NFL 2K5 is still the best football game to date. Better animations than this years madden, and even the graphics (on a standard def TV ) are preferable to Madden's plastic look.

But 2k better have some money ready because EA will pay almost anything to continue to shovel out the same horrible game every year. We need competition.

MCasey

I did a post on the most ideal licensing deal with 0 interest from gaffers, but NFL needs to make this happen!

I thought I'd change the licensing deal bidding system forever, I thought :D

I like the idea, but it appears the NFL likes working with one company.
You should however tweet your post to the NFLPA guy that was taking questions on reddit. I know he's on twitter.
The good news is there hasn't been a deal yet, where before (in previous contract talks) at this time a deal was already made.
A bigger push would be to get #NFL2k trending on twitter. Maybe even some players get involved.

MCasey

HipHopGamer doesnt know anything. Goodell does whatever is bad for the NFL and exclusivity will remain as long as he's in charge

It's strange though, EA and the NFL still not having made a deal yet. Maybe 2K makes the stronger bid and this time around, the NFL accepts the offer. I can only hope.
Or maybe they give the license to both 2k and EA.

Madden 25 on the next gen is better than any football game produced in the past. I welcome competition if we can get it, but I refuse to be delusional about the current state of the genre.

SonnyBoy

i liked madden better. it did lack gang tackles which sucks, but i loved the vision cone and it's nice that things like QB spy worked (which they did not in NFL 2k5). just personal preference brotha

Same here. I was sad to see it go. It added another layer of strategy to the game.

linkboy

It's strange though, EA and the NFL still not having made a deal yet. Maybe 2K makes the stronger bid and this time around, the NFL accepts the offer. I can only hope.

That's the only way 2k is going to get a NFL license. Even with EA taking a lazy ass approach with Madden, the NFL isn't going to throw away a 20 year relationship on a whim.

SonnyBoy

This would be the best announcement ever, for me at least. Simply because EA would be forced to compete and give us a solid game. I'm not partial to either. I just want good football. I owned both 2k5 and Madden 05 and enjoyed both.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I've enjoyed Madden..but you can tell its just gotten stagnant - its not worth it for them to rebuild the entire game and start over - only 2k has the power to force them to do that.

This is what would be best for gamers. But as long as NFL feels they can extract the most money by it being exclusive, I guess that is the way it will likely remain. :-/

Can't believe some are saying APF2K8 played and looked like shit.

The animations still hold up very well today. From a gameplay standpoint, it does a lot of things better than NFL2K5.

I think some people get caught up in the whole "I don't know why I bought this game. I can't play as my favorite teams and players. This shit sucks"

Just based on football fundamentals(while not perfect)APF2K8 is the best football I've ever played.

Also to pasta

Last I heard EA was still in negotiations with the NFL. They need each other at this point. NFL can't just drop EA, because then there would be no NFL video game on the market for a couple years. EA knows this so they're going to push for the most favorable deal possible. We already saw this happen when they extended for a year when heading into a possible lockout but needed a $25 million credit to do so. The NFL could open it up to multiple parties but that isn't how they handle their business - they'd make far less with multiple companies paying in than they do with an exclusive, and they'd lose some of the control they have over every little thing done with the products.

I wrote about all this in March, but that nothing has been officially completed at this point is at least curious.
http://www.pastapadre.com/2013/03/01...lusive-license

How do you figure that? 2K/Visual Concepts could be developing a game right now and have it ready for next year. The contract is up a few months after the season is over.

Top Bottom