• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2K to make a comeback next year? HipHopGamer firmly believes so

casmith07

Do you guys really think the next NFL2K will even be good.

It's been nearly 10 years; the team who did the old 2Ks have most certainly dispersed. They're going to need time to develop something decent. You all saw what happened to NBA Live after three years.

Yes.

Considering the amount of care that 2K Sports puts into the NBA franchise, I can only imagine that the game would not only look and present better than Madden, but play better than it too.

Madden/EA have been coasting along on name alone. There never should have been an exclusivity license, but 2K didn't have the marketing/star power to push their franchise like Madden did.

Madden's cover athlete was an annual spectacle -- who would get it? What about the Madden curse? etc. etc...2K never had any of that.

The demographics of people who play NBA games are largely different from those who play NFL games. NBA gamers latched on to NBA 2K early on and never let go, mostly because of presentation. Madden gamers have a much more casual base, and a more diverse base. Basketball players play 2K because it plays like real basketball. Everyone plays Madden because Madden.

I think an NFL 2K15 would be absolutely great. I really hope there's some truth to this rumor.

As a die hard NFL 2K fan, I obviously want this to happen.

But this isn't enough.. I'm a HHG fan, but I wouldn't take this as gospel.

casmith07

As a die hard NFL 2K fan, I obviously want this to happen.

But this isn't enough.. I'm a HHG fan, but I wouldn't take this as gospel.

I wish 2K, now with the WWE license (noticed from your av) would bring back the old code or members of AKI Corp. who made WWF No Mercy, WCW vs. nWo, etc.

Teletraan1

Banned
Just a cash grab by the NFL. They make more money than any other professional North American sports league yet they try and sell all these exclusive deals. I love how the NBA does not do this. It would be a crime if EA simply because they have the deepest pockets were the only ones able to do a proper NBA game. The NFL should want their sport to be represented by the best not the richest.

I wish 2K, now with the WWE license (noticed from your av) would bring back the old code or members of AKI Corp. who made WWF No Mercy, WCW vs. nWo, etc.

Oh yes please, I actually contacted AKI Corporation / syn Sophia about starting a KS for a wrestling game a while back, I doubt anyone paid any mind.

I hope NFL2K is back, I don't really watch football but it was a great series.

EA will probably lock up the license again sometime around June, they don't want to lose madden money, its huge.

all they gotta do is create a next gen engine and they are set for 4/5 years

I believe though. 2K please come back.

D-Stubbs

Like others have stated in this thread the great thing about EA maybe losing the NFL license is it would given anyone a shot at making an NFL game. I remember a time when we had around four or five NFL games. Madden, 2K, Gameday, Quarterback Club, Blitz. Hell I remember one of the first games I got for Xbox was NFL Fever. There was such a selection back then and I would love to see it go back to that.

No Love

Banned
If true, 2K is going to steal a LOT of Madden sales. Madden 25 is a poor excuse for an upscaled half-ass port of a previous gen game.

Fuck off EA. Come home, 2K.

newsguy

That video was so underexposed I stopped watching. I kept thinking my damn computer brightness was messed up. Anyway, even he says that maybe the football players simply scanned their faces for the heck of it. To see what they'd look like. I believe that's the case here. Without actually knowing that the exclusivity deal is void, there's no way in hell VC is going around and budgeting anything for scanning current NFL players. It's just financially impractical.

And:

210590b.jpg

The golden years of football! Actual competition kept two companies on their toes and actual innovation went into the products.

this.

casmith07

Oh yes please, I actually contacted AKI Corporation / syn Sophia about starting a KS for a wrestling game a while back, I doubt anyone paid any mind.

I hope NFL2K is back, I don't really watch football but it was a great series.

Indeed. Hell, I would be happy with them just taking No Mercy and updating the roster and graphics.

Truly the golden age of wrestling games. And I didn't even watch pro wrestling anymore by the time AKI/THQ got ahold of the WWF license.

Joco

Dear god I hope this is true. I love football but have been sick of EA just churning out Madden with little to no improvements (and in some things downgrades even). I'd buy an NFL 2K in a heartbeat regardless of reviews just to give Madden some actual incentive to try again.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Ehhhh did yall play All Pro Football? That was just three years of collecting dust and that game engine did not age well at all.

I suppose the potential added competition is cool tho. I can't imagine there being enough upside to the football game genre to get me back in those games tho.

linkboy

Well, the NFL is letting their exclusive deal with Riddell (the company that makes the player helmets) lapse at the end of this season, so I wouldn't be surprised if non-exclusive deals become more common with NFL-associated equipment and merchandise.

To be fair, one of the major reasons is that the helmet Riddell uses for NFL players is one of the worst helmets for preventing concussions, which as we all know, is a major issue for the NFL.

Abounder

Banned
I hope to the gaming gods its true. Maybe the EA bastards signed Star Wars to make up for losing on the NFL

EA is a shit company and we need to stop buying their broken, rushed, pieces of crap

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This would be so awesome.

Haven't bought a Madden since 2006(05) and would totally buy an NFL2K15 next gen.

Especially if it was next gen only. I would die.

NBA2K14 is the first NBA game I have purchased. Ever.

Yes.

Considering the amount of care that 2K Sports puts into the NBA franchise, I can only imagine that the game would not only look and present better than Madden, but play better than it too.

Madden/EA have been coasting along on name alone. There never should have been an exclusivity license, but 2K didn't have the marketing/star power to push their franchise like Madden did.

Madden's cover athlete was an annual spectacle -- who would get it? What about the Madden curse? etc. etc...2K never had any of that.

The demographics of people who play NBA games are largely different from those who play NFL games. NBA gamers latched on to NBA 2K early on and never let go, mostly because of presentation. Madden gamers have a much more casual base, and a more diverse base. Basketball players play 2K because it plays like real basketball. Everyone plays Madden because Madden.

I think an NFL 2K15 would be absolutely great. I really hope there's some truth to this rumor.

what about the "care" they put into MLB 2k?

p.s.

there was never an NFL 2k that was better than a madden released in the same year but competition is good for everyone

p.s.s.

if you are desperate for some 2k football and have the transfer cable for 360 there are guys who release the updated rosters every year. I've been playing it a bit here and there. kap is pretty dirty though lulz

oSoLucky

Ray Lewis looks like such a pathetic fucking manbaby in this gif.

I have no idea how you came up with that conclusion from watching the dance he's been doing his whole career.

what about the "care" they put into MLB 2k?

p.s.

there was never an NFL 2k that was better than a madden released in the same year but competition is good for everyone

p.s.s.

if you are desperate for some 2k football and have the transfer cable for 360 there are guys who release the updated rosters every year. I've been playing it a bit here and there. kap is pretty dirty though lulz

NFL2k2 and 2k3 were pretty damn close iirc. As unbalanced as Madden has been, 2k was much worse some years(esp the one that had Randy Moss on the cover).

I have no idea how you came up with that conclusion from watching the dance he's been doing his whole career.

NFL2k2 and 2k3 were pretty damn close iirc. As unbalanced as Madden has been, 2k was much worse some years(esp the one that had Randy Moss on the cover).

i liked 2k2 a lot but the WR crossing glitch (or money play i guess you could call it) really ruined the head to head experience. 2k3 and 2k4 suffered from the ridiculous pass blocking. i mean you could not fucking BUY a sack on the QB. 2k5 really fixed a lot of the issues with the series but i could not (and cannot) fucking stand the DB "matrix mode" animations. there is really no consistency to the defense and why/when it does what it does. this has always been my issue with the 2k series. if you give me a defined expectation that when i call X this will happen most of the time then i can concentrate on the chess match against my opponent. but when i call the right play, and it is literally a coin flip on if my defender will do what he is supposed to or if he's just going to fucking wig out and fuck it up, it makes me hate the game.

not to say that madden is or ever has been perfect in this regard but i just feel that it is better. i honestly was contemplating doing a youtube vid playing a full game of NFL 2k5 with sim sliders just to ask people wtf they are smoking when they say "zomg best game ever!" but i just don't feel like investing the time when what is the point? people like what they like

Wrong.

ESPN NFL 2K5 for xbox - MetaScore: 92
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox/espn-nfl-2k5

Madden 2005 for xbox- MetaScore: 91
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox/madden-nfl-2005

They were obviously both good games.

And APF 2K8 wasn't as bad you say.

APF 2K8 MetaScore: 75
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/all-pro-football-2k8

Madden NFL 08 for xbox 360- MetaScore: 85
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/madden-nfl-08

Not great but not bad for their first year back

Oh dear God yes, if this is true.

None of the nextgen consoles have any killer app that has sold me on them yet over my PC but a new NFL 2K football game would easily be a system seller for me.

Wrong.

ESPN NFL 2K5 for xbox - MetaScore: 92
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox/espn-nfl-2k5

Madden 2005 for xbox- MetaScore: 91
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox/madden-nfl-2005

They were obviously both good games.

And APF 2K8 wasn't as bad you say.

APF 2K8 MetaScore: 75
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/all-pro-football-2k8

Madden NFL 08 for xbox 360- MetaScore: 85
http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/madden-nfl-08

Not great but not bad for their first year back

lol alright. why do i care about metacritic? i have played countless hours of every football game. i have run online leagues for every madden and every 2k that has ever had online leagues available. i don't need a reviewer to tell me which games were better

old

Well, and this is pure speculation, since EA dropped the NCAA license maybe NFL 2K could become NCAA Football 2K?

mik

mik is unbeatable
We had to make up "gentlemen's agreements" every year in 2K football games to compensate for pretty glaring, game-breaking glitches... broken crossing routes, money outs, the ""crowd wave blitz"--on and on. The games were really neat, but they were also fucked pretty much every year.

And let's not be too selective in our adulation of 2K, since MLB 2K and NHL 2K were/are both pretty shit.

(I love the Christ out of NBA 2K though)

We had to make up "gentlemen's agreements" every year in 2K football games to compensate for pretty glaring, game-breaking glitches... broken crossing routes, money outs, the ""crowd wave blitz"--on and on. The games were really neat, but they were also fucked pretty much every year.

And let's not be too selective in our adulation of 2K, since MLB 2K and NHL 2K were/are both pretty shit.

(I love the Christ out of NBA 2K though)

MLB 2Kn was shit but NHL 2Kn was good. I miss NHL 2Kn greatly.

Like others have stated in this thread the great thing about EA maybe losing the NFL license is it would given anyone a shot at making an NFL game. I remember a time when we had around four or five NFL games. Madden, 2K, Gameday, Quarterback Club, Blitz. Hell I remember one of the first games I got for Xbox was NFL Fever. There was such a selection back then and I would love to see it go back to that.

That's kind of an anomly though. Nowadays there is one license holder. We don't expect multiple UFC games, or multiple WWE games, or multiple movie license games anymore. I doubt the NFL would not stick to being exclusive, especially since they do it for everything else. They love slapping the "The Official XXX of the NFL" label on products.

KaYotiX

Banned
I want to see a 2K NFL game for 2 reasons, if its great EA will have to step up, if it sucks then ppl will just stop with the "If 2K had it" crap.

Fox Mulder

Refuse to get hyped.

it would require EA to not renew the exclusive license, which seems stupid going into a new Gen.

I let myself get hyped for apf2k8.

I'd like to see FMT go in on Madden 25 like he goes in on 2k for some balance. I saw next gen Madden, and it's a damn disgrace they get away with charging $60 for that. Sales have been going down for a reason, and even next gen Madden has no buzz surrounding it. Certainly compared to the buzz for next gen NBA 2k14. 2k would bring some excitement to NFL football just for the potential for something progressive.

Top Bottom