• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2K to make a comeback next year? HipHopGamer firmly believes so

Wouldn't be surprised if they are putting together a tech demo to try to convince the NFL to move away from the exclusive license. I think the MLB situation makes it more likely for the NFL to shy away from the exclusive this time out.

REDRZA

Banned
Hopefully the NFL is taking a hard look at how much more care that 2K takes with its sports games over what EA does. The "next-gen" Madden should be looked at as an embarrassment.

Yeah, because MLB 2k was such an awesome, quality baseball simulation even with 3rd party exclusivity, nope more like an embarrassment to the gaming industry and MLB. Like NHL 2k has been great the last few years, oh wait, they stopped making NHL games because EA beat the brakes off them.

So 2k makes one solid sports game? Yep.

June 2014.

Can't complain about this at all. More competition (or in this case any at all) might light a fire under EA's ass.

You know, they could work on the game , even if there is a deal. So they could be doing the motion scanning now, and then work on the game throughout the next year to hopefully have something ready for the end of next year or early 2015.

They could have easily been working on some assets, player models, stadium models, etc. for a while now.

Damian.

Banned
Yeah, because MLB 2k was such an awesome, quality baseball simulation even with 3rd party exclusivity, nope more like an embarrassment to the gaming industry and MLB. Like NHL 2k has been great the last few years, oh wait, they stopped making NHL games because EA beat the brakes off them.

So 2k makes one solid sports game? Yep.

They make two solid sports games, basketball and football. Get it right or pay the price, Budnick.

codhand

2k5pnstu.gif

Trey

Wouldn't be surprised if they are putting together a tech demo to try to convince the NFL to move away from the exclusive license. I think the MLB situation makes it more likely for the NFL to shy away from the exclusive this time out.

NFL wouldn't care about a tech demo. They would only care if 2K grew the market for NFL licensed games.

Jonboy

Who knows if the NFL will/won't renew with EA, but the NFL is certainly one of the few companies who doesn't need EA's money. If they really want the exclusivity to end, then it will, regardless of what money EA throws at them.

Damian.

Banned
2K5 wasnt even good and neither was Madden 05, I'll never understand 2k5 love

It was simply where the entire genre plateaued. EA/NFL exclusivity killed any chance of competition and EA has done as little as possible year after year. We are literally stuck with Madden 05 with updated rosters, gang tackles and HD graphics. It's time to progress a little bit.

daveo42

Banned
It's be pretty nice for EA not to have a stranglehold on the NFL so we can see something other than the exact same game with slightly better models every year. I think 2K would a damn better job than what EA has shown us already with their current sports lineup.

Also, lol @hiphopgamer as an actual source of info. Anyone could have predicted this with the exclusivity deal ending next year.

racismsolved8bcv5.gif

let's see 2K solve racism like EA did though

Wait, what?

Claneko

One can dream. I'm not big into football games by any means, but I can say that 2K2 was the first and only football game where I played an entire season to the Super Bowl and loved every moment of it. It had something about it that made it fun for me that I never seem to uncover when I give any Madden game a spin.

belushy

Banned
So is there any truth to what a poster in this thread said earlier about 2k offering more money the last time the license was about to expire?

LiK

It's be pretty nice for EA not to have a stranglehold on the NFL so we can see something other than the exact same game with slightly better models every year. I think 2K would a damn better job than what EA has shown us already with their current sports lineup.

Also, lol @hiphopgamer info.

Wait, what?

Gif is from Giant Bomb stream for Madden 25 on PS4. Best glitch.

God I would love an aggressive marketing campaign for this. One targeted at EA and their stagnation of the entire situation with Madden. Charging full price, producing bullshots and video to blatantly lie to their faithful customers, etc.

daveo42

Banned
Gif is from Giant Bomb stream for Madden 25 on PS4. Best glitch.

Gah, it would have been funnier on the X1, what with the crushed blacks they seem to be getting on all of their games.

Holy crap that sounds really racist

Sorc3r3r

I absolutely loved nfl 2k5, i think that it is my most played sport game ever, and i'm in italy.
Still waiting to see such perfection in a soccer game...

So 2k if you don't mind try with soccer too :D

E-DuB

I'm not even a crazy huge football fan and I'm hype as hell for this. Let's hope something good comes from these rumors.

I still play NFL 2K5. One of the best deals in gaming history to have picked up that game for $20.

Maybe 2K would plan to create an NCAA football game first while hoping that the NFL ends their exclusive deal with EA and then it can be Madden vs. 2K once again.

Or

The NFL keeps their exclusive deal with EA, and 2K only makes an NCAA 2K.

Either way, I just want 2K to start making football games again.

I wouldn't even bother with fighting EA for the pricy NFL license. Just make it a $20 downloadable title focused on customization and online leagues and add that next gen graphical sheen that NBA has and I think they can find a successful niche. EA left the door open for a next gen football game even without the license because of how underwhelming their next gen sports efforts have been.

I wouldn't even bother with fighting EA for the pricy NFL license. Just make it a $20 downloadable title focused on customization and online leagues and add that next gen graphical sheen that NBA has and I think they can find a successful niche. EA left the door open for a next gen football game even without the license because of how underwhelming their next gen sports efforts have been.
They tried that route with APF 2K8. It didn't work.

It doesn't mean shit and he doesn't know shit. No matter the cost, EA is not losing the NFL license.

No matter the cost? Actually, the absurd cost of the NFL license makes the exclusivity of questionable worth to EA. If it gets higher, they shouldn't bother. We talk about game budgets being crazy high and making profit hard to find, Madden starts $50 + million in the hole every year before even accounting for development and marketing costs.

Hmmm...I'll take it if it happens. Personally, I don't care for the licensed stuff and especially the focus on broadcast bullshit, but I do love playing the actual video game versions of the sports themselves. I miss the old days when it wasn't required to have absurdly-expensive licenses to bring great sports games to market. If 2K/T2 does go for it, I really hope they roll in some of the work that Natural Motion did with Euphoria and Backbreaker. Actually, I really wish BB had continued so as to evolve what they started with.

Top Bottom