• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread: "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Not a huge fan of mind trip movies...

Basically all of that guy's movies are the opposite of what I want in a movie.

jakncoke

Banned
I was surprised how much I liked Rise, I was expecting to hate it.

Yeah when I first seen the trailers/commercials I was like oh great they took this franchise and Michael Bayed it ffuuu, After basically everyone loved I was generally surprised by the outcome and after watching can understand why everyone liked it.

jakncoke

Banned
Re-reading for the lulz and one thing thats funny aside from the posts and creepiness the amount of people in that thread that are banned.

cuevas said:
What the hell is even happening anymore?
You'll understand by the end.

It's really a film about obsession. Nina's obsession with attaining the perfect dance and she drives herself crazy in the process with the self mutilation and unfounded fears about Lily trying to take her place. Along with that the film mirrors the arc of Swan Lake in Nina's relationship with the company maestro and her "sacrifice" in the end.

If you enjoyed it, I'd highly recommend Powell's "The Red Shoes". Black Swan takes a ton of inspiration from the 1948 film and it's quite good in its own right.

Buckethead said:
PM me why you think that movie is good.

I've tried desperately to like it but just can't.
You'll have one tomorrrow. On the iPad at the moment and typing out my thoughts on this thing would drive me mad.

cuevas said:
Was the music the same as the Harry potter theme? Lol
Unless you think John Williams stole from Swan Lake, no.:) A majority of the score for Black Swan is rearranged music from the actual Swan Lake ballet. Mansell (who's awesome and is doing the Mass Effect 3 score) added his own themes for the scenes between Nina and Lily.

Black Swan was ... fucking weird. Great performance by Natalie Portman. Mila Kunis is hot. But ... yeah... weird.

Rise was awesome. Great movie.

By the way, it's February, right? Had to turn on the fucking A/C tonight here in Carolina. What the fuck happened to winter? If it's really gonna be summer can we rush right into football season?

You'll understand by the end.

It's really a film about obsession. Nina's obsession with attaining the perfect dance and she drives herself crazy in the process with the self mutilation and unfounded fears about Lily trying to take her place. Along with that the film mirrors the arc of Swan Lake in Nina's relationship with the company maestro and her "sacrifice" in the end.

If you enjoyed it, I'd highly recommend Powell's "The Red Shoes". Black Swan takes a ton of inspiration from the 1948 film and it's quite good in its own right.

You have won a place in my heart today with this post. I agree with everything about Black Swan (you probably said it better than I could). And "The Red Shoes" Is a phenomenal film

NawidA

Banned
Also, The Wrestler is required viewing after Black Swan, they're pretty much sister movies. And after that, check out Beyond the Mat, to see how fucking true to life The Wrestler is.

I really liked Black Swan, but I'm claustrophobic, so I'm not sure if I'll see it again.

I'm an unabashed Aranofsky fan so yeah, The Wrestler is indeed good shit. I absolutely love The Fountain. Seemingly his most divisive film but fuck that, I saw it four times in the theater and it's still an emotional gut punch every time I watch it.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I bet there's a correlation between age and interest in those types of movies.

As in, those types of movies just scream "college age!" to me.

wienke said:
I'm 34. Though I'd love to still feel like "college age". :)

jakncoke said:
The Fountain confused the fuck out of me, nicely shot though
You can interpret it in so many different ways, it's hard to explain or unravel it for you. Curious what you found confusing though...

NawidA

Banned

Yeah, man, what's up with people wanting more from their movies man? Farts and explosions is good enough, right? There is no need for French Movie Themes and shit.
Eh people say that but I don't really see it.

The Wrestler and Black Swan were originally one movie early on, then Aranofsky split them up.
They are damn near the same movie thematically.
They have the extremely similar endings and character traits for example

Either I'm getting old or God of War III is harder than the previous two. Or both. Just played for about 90 minutes and got my ass kicked ... a lot. Got past Hades finally but had some trouble a centaur and his army and then a chimera. I'm like, WTF? This used to be a great series because it made you feel like such a badass... now I feel like an old-ass.

squicken

That's always my feel on that as well. But also, it's got to be hard to face as a young person that the golden age of TV/film/music has past. Now is the golden age of funny photoshops and YouTube videos. I'd even argue that now is the golden age of gaming, but sooo many GAFfers are hung up on their memories of Earl Weaver's Baseball, that it's not worth the argument

Either I'm getting old or God of War III is harder than the previous two. Or both. Just played for about 90 minutes and got my ass kicked ... a lot. Got past Hades finally but had some trouble a centaur and his army and then a chimera. I'm like, WTF? This used to be a great series because it made you feel like such a badass... now I feel like an old-ass.

I thought that Hades fight was BS. Once you get past it the difficulty kind of averages out. I think

NawidA

Banned
That's always my feel on that as well. But also, it's got to be hard to face as a young person that the golden age of TV/film/music has past. Now is the golden age of funny photoshops and YouTube videos. I'd even argue that now is the golden age of gaming, but sooo many GAFfers are hung up on their memories of Earl Weaver's Baseball, that it's not worth the argument
The golden age has gone by? Are you high? Which generation had it better than The Wire, The Shield, Breaking Bad, Parks and Rec, Mad Men, Deadwood, Terriers, Friday Night Lights, Boardwalk Empire, Community, Game of Thrones, Homeland, Justified, Louie, and I could go all day son.

Same with music and same with film. This shit is the golden age, enjoy it while it lasts.

Yeah, man, what's up with people wanting more from their movies man? Farts and explosions is good enough, right? There is no need for French Movie Themes and shit.

They are damn near the same movie thematically.
Meh. I don't think so.
I can see why people say that but nah, not really.

I think that sentiment is embellished because Aranofsky said so.

NawidA

Banned
Meh. I don't think so.
I can see why people say that but nah, not really.

I think that sentiment is embellished because Aranofsky said so.
I've never heard of this Aranofsky interview and I connected them right away. Black Swan is a highbrow take on the same essential themes of The Wrestler.

yacobod

Banned
black swan is a pretty by the numbers psychological thriller, albeit a stylish one. i don't think postman's performance was all that great either, very hammy and over the top. probably my least favorite film from aronofsky.

major league baseball is just going easy on their poster boy braun. i don't understand how someone could test 20:1 over the normal amounts of testosterone in their system without using. does this mean we have to go and exonerate big mac, barry, and sammy? hall of fame or bust for those guys. professional sports should just drop the charade and admit that most of these guys are using PEDs and are too clever to get caught by the archaic testing policies employed by most pro sports. shit's dumb.

i'm calling it right now, the bears don't draft or sign a WR in the offseason, and chicago media and management are going to try to sell us on Randy Moss and Mike Tice's Randy Ratio. It's going to be RW11 all over again.

Milchjon

I don't seem to "get" Aronofsky. I hated, hated, hated Requiem for a Dream. I was mostly bored by The Wrestler. And all I remember from The Fountain is a lot of brown and what looked like too little budget for what it wanted to achieve visually.

Haven't watched Black Swan yet.

The musical scores are flawless, though.

I was mostly bored by The Wrestler.
image.php

Milchjon
My favorite movie is Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon
Today 12:31 PM
Reply | Quote

Milchjon

image.php

Milchjon
My favorite movie is Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon
Today 12:31 PM
Reply | Quote

Not entirely accurate, but more like it ;-)
Dunno, I always feel like dramatic stuff is now done better on TV. When I go to the cinema, I want an experience, either a cinematic one fueled by production values, or a social one...

Wrayfield

I had the exact same experience. Left it for another day ...

Ryan and Tannenbaum support Sanchez but are open to exploring options (which means they don't really support him that much!). Also:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_won_rule_out_possible_peyton_wHdSkKBPTVPogfhrhgBo6J

The Jets moved toward clearing some salary-cap room by restructuring the contract of Pro Bowl left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson. The move gives the Jets an additional $7.5 million in cap space, according to a source. ... Special teams coach Mike Westhoff said this season “definitely” will be his last. He plans on retiring when the year is over. He hopes to get a job in TV as a special-teams expert. ... Ryan said he was angry with backup quarterback Greg McElroy’s comments last month about the Jets having “selfish” players, saying he did not agree with him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, the Bucs apparently want more than just a small piece of the champs, they wanted to interview Kevin Gilbride Jr. as their QB coach. The Giants said sorry, not happening:

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/giantsblog/giants_deny_buccaneers_request_to_PKMi5tXoCzBZpwF3LXjytL

Since winning the Super Bowl, the Giants have already lost two of Tom Coughlin’s assistant coaches on the offensive side of the ball and do not want to lose another, and so they denied the Buccaneers’ request to interview Kevin Gilbride, Jr. for their vacant quarterbacks coach job.

The articles touches on the possibility of what's happening on the Giants coaching staff and I think they are spot on - current receivers coach Sean Ryan will slot into the QB coach position and Gilbride, Jr. will take over as receivers coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom