• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread: "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coughlin just had his conference with the media. Some tidbits (lengthy post coming)

Coughlin on Jacobs future with the Giants:

"As far as I am concerned he is a big part of it."

Several Giants have had offseason surgery:

Linval Joseph had ankle surgery. Justin Tuck had shoulder surgery to deal with scar tissue. Chris Canty had knee surgery.

All are viewed as clean up procedures and none should effect the players availability for the 2012 season. The Tuck shoulder surgery was long overdue.

Does Coughlin expect Osi back with the team?

Coughlin on the team needs:

Last year, the teams biggest need was Center, this year he absolutely agrees that Tight End is the focus

On players that need to step up in 2012:

For next year, Coughlin points to Da'Rel Scott, Amukamara and Sash as young guys who could take big steps. Also mentions Jernigan

Coughlin says he has not yet talked "seriously" about his next contract with John Mara

On denying the Bucs the ability to talk to Kevin Gilbride Jr.

Coughlin explained decision not to permit Gilbride Jr. to interview, saying NYG couldn't lose another offensive coach. Coughlin also said Giants are "not in the business" of "training coaches" for other teams.

On Mario Manningham's future with the Giants:

TC on Manningham: "We'd love to have him back. We're not naive. The guy just made Super Bowl memorable plays."

On how long he can continue coaching:

Coughlin, 65: "Everybody thought I was kidding. What'd I say during the season, 72?"

He also mentioned that he has not had any meaningful conversation with John Mara on a contract extension as of yet (it'll happen).

One last thing - Ballard and Beckum's surgery went well. 7 month minimum recovery time though.:(

The idiot owners of the Bucs screwed themselves over by waiting too long to get a coach. Not surprised other teams don't want to have to replace their own assistants this late in the off-season just because the idiot Glazers couldn't get their own shit figured out earlier.

The idiot owners of the Bucs screwed themselves over by waiting too long to get a coach. Not surprised other teams don't want to have to replace their own assistants this late in the off-season just because the idiot Glazers couldn't get their own shit figured out earlier.

We're united by our hatred of the Glazers. (For different reasons, of course).

They ruined your football team, they're ruining mine.

Manchester United, not the Panthers, mind you.

All this PS Vita is getting me jealous. Im going to wait a month and pawn this on my girlfriend or relative to buy for me for my Bday.

Anyone planning on actually watching the combine (besides LJ)? It'll be nice background noise while doing other stuff, but I'll probably just pay attention for the defensive players since our offense is stacked to the heavens.

Jets plan to use a first round tender on Aaron Maybin:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/je...ybin-first-round-restricted-free-agent-tender

The Jets are expected to tender restricted free agent outside linebacker Aaron Maybin at the first-round level, according to a source. The likely estimated value for the first-round tender will be $2.5-$2.75 million.

Maybin led the Jets with six sacks in 13 games in 2011. The Bills' former first-round pick revived his career with Gang Green after a pair of disappointing seasons in Buffalo.

TheLegendary said:
All this PS Vita is getting me jealous.
I wish I had more time to play mine.:( It's a fantastic system. Love the hardware and the launch lineup is damned solid.

All this PS Vita is getting me jealous. Im going to wait a month and pawn this on my girlfriend or relative to buy for me for my Bday.

Anyone planning on actually watching the combine (besides LJ)? It'll be nice background noise while doing other stuff, but I'll probably just pay attention for the defensive players since our offense is stacked to the heavens.

If I were home, I would watch it.

But alas, no.

I am usually excited for the combine but I hate the idea of the Eagles drafting Luke Kuechly just to make the people complaining that they dont draft LB's happy. I am really having a hard time getting excited about this draft at all. Hopefully once it gets closer I will.

LJ11

I've never watched it, it's the truth. Only combine footage I watch is the shit NFL/ESPN plays during their pre-draft coverage,

Honestly didn't know things were getting started until I saw interviews today/yesterday from Chan & Co.

Just hand me a spreadsheet with times/height/hands, that'll do. I watch the Senior Bowl stuff though, the 20 minutes they show of it anyway. Much more interesting seeing a guy go one on one.

Milchjon

So, the NFL is auctioning off the specially minted coin used to determined the draft order between KC and Seattle. WTF.

chiefscoin-448x600.jpg

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
He might look good in a Pats uni,

tiB2g.png

I'd rather have Stevie Johnson. Make it happen Bills!

But the real reason I was 'The fucking' was because I don't understand how a 10,7 million bonus + a 900.000 salary results in a 8,8 million cap hit.

Pretty sure you guys had enough passes to go around in the SB, might want to let Johnson go elsewhere.

Wes

venison crêpe
I don't even know how to feel on this.

Well the only reason we're targeting Flynn is because we don't want to lose our #22 pick to move up two spots to get RG3. So why would we use that pick on a trade for Flynn?

The second rounder? I could be down for that.

QB: Flynn
WR1: Wright (#22)
WR2: Little
RB: Richardson (#4)

Suddenly looks a lot more exciting.

Heck we could even trade down from #4 and get more picks. Which we know Heckert loves doing.

I think they just don't want to risk, come draft day, not having Flynn and another team leapfrogging them to get RG3.

bionic77

The hardware on the Vita looks amazing.

But going by the DS I would assume the 3DS is going to have better games (the DS was the best system from last gen IMHO).

I wish someone would make a cheap high def 2D console with a SNES controller that had something like the PSP where you could take your games on the go as well. That would easily be the greatest invention in the entire history of mankind.

eznark

Banned
The hardware on the Vita looks amazing.

But going by the DS I would assume the 3DS is going to have better games (the DS was the best system from last gen IMHO).

I wish someone would make a cheap high def 2D console with a SNES controller that had something like the PSP where you could take your games on the go as well. That would easily be the greatest invention in the entire history of mankind.

If you're a sports gamer, this is the first handheld worth owning which I think is a serious paradigm shift.

bionic77

If you're a sports gamer, this is the first handheld worth owning which I think is a serious paradigm shift.
I do like FIFA and Winning Eleven so I might consider it (and I am a tech nerd so I usually waste money on shit like this).

The DS was pretty shit for realistic sports games and I am sure the 3DS will continue that fine tradition.

I am an old man though. I always preferred my sports game with someone in the room with me as opposed to online. It just doesn't compare, at least for me.

Godslay

Banned

I agree with you here. The Show is going to be the first step.

I believe FPS could be good on it as well if the sensitivity is done right. It's not terribly difficult to aim for head shots in Uncharted with the Sniper rifle or even the Ak47.

Personally, I hope it has a long life because it is a great piece of hardware.

I mean that the Vita isn't going to take off to any appreciable degree as a sport game platform. the typical gamer that wants to play sports games won't default to a portable; they'll play it on console.

I would default to the Vita personally, just something about not being tethered to a tv is a huge bonus for me.

eznark

Banned
I mean that the Vita isn't going to take off to any appreciable degree as a sport game platform. the typical gamer that wants to play sports games won't default to a portable; they'll play it on console.

The only way I need it to "take off" is for EA to feel that it is worth it to port the existing games to the Vita. Since the architecture is supposedly fairly close, that shouldn't be a huge threshold.

Dragon

Banned

That's why I think if Sony's smart they'll do more of the cloud saving that The Show has. And more importantly, bundle the two games together with a decent size savings compared to buying them separately.

I would default to the Vita personally, just something about not being tethered to a tv is a huge bonus for me.

There will be a section of gamers that will prefer this, naturally.

My worry would be the lack of community across the games. Madden is dead on the PS3, so it won't amount to much even if Sony is serious about cross platform play.

Nightz

That's why I think if Sony's smart they'll do more of the cloud saving that The Show has. And more importantly, bundle the two games together with a decent size savings compared to buying them separately.

I think Sony is pushing that. The big question will be if companies like EA and 2K do it.

Did Sony ever expressly say they were gonna do this? I've heard it said a lot but never seen it from the horses mouth.

Dragon

Banned
Did Sony ever expressly say they were gonna do this? I've heard it said a lot but never seen it from the horses mouth.

I don't believe they've said anything about The Show in that regard. But Ruin, which is now called Warrior's Lair, will have the two games sold together as a package. They haven't released pricing or anything yet so hard to say. Probably wishing on a star.

Godslay

Banned
I don't believe they've said anything about The Show in that regard. But Ruin, which is now called Warrior's Lair, will have the two games sold together as a package. They haven't released pricing or anything yet so hard to say. Probably wishing on a star.

That sounds great. I will most likely buy both versions of The Show. It's too bad that it is going to cost me $100, rather than say a $69.99 bundle. $69.99 would be the magic price point for me. Above that is too much.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Somebody mentioned in another thread that Sony was doing a buy the PS3 version of the game, get $20 off the Vita version (so $80) but nothing has been officially stated by anybody yet.

eznark

Banned

My worry would be the lack of community across the games. Madden is dead on the PS3, so it won't amount to much even if Sony is serious about cross platform play.

Oh, I give zero shuts about portable multiplayer gaming. I just want to be able p continue my franchises on the go. If they do the same thing for madden next year I will be triple dipping.

What a glorious day!

It's 70 degrees in Northern California, I get to see my kids tonight, and Ed Reed is coming back for the 2012 season!

Cheerful and upbeat BaltimoreLarry in full effect.

Greg

That's because the community is split across two platforms. Considering the Vita would be the only platform to play it on the go/away from the big screen, I bet the communities will do rather well even among the people that prefer playing the console versions on a 360.

The cross-platform stuff would certainly be a nice incentive to go with PS3/Vita combo deals, but I'm sure it's too late to have a huge impact on the PS3 communities.

What a glorious day!

It's 70 degrees in Northern California, I get to see my kids tonight, and Ed Reed is coming back for the 2012 season!

Cheerful and upbeat BaltimoreLarry in full effect.
Best Larry.

LJ11

Surprised EA didn't port NBA Jam to the Vita.

Love that game even though they haven't really supported On Fire Edition.

Sad to see the Packers releasing Clifton. Glad they were able to restructure Driver.

Kind of meh to both moves.
I'll miss Clifton. What a career.

Most recent awesome Cliffy moment was the super bowl. Made James Harrison look like a fool the whole game. After double knee surgeries and back, etc. issues dude was still a stud.

Driver coming back is a bit of a surprise.

Everyone seemed to think his presence distracted from Cobb's development.

He played lights out last year though so it's hard to complain.

Greg

Yeah, Clifton was awesome even through all the injuries.

I thought Driver was gone, but I'm glad he'll still be around even though I did want to see more Cobb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom