• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread: "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeaconKnowledge said:
Bud Selig's been commissioner for almost 20 years. Just saying.
Does he preside over a 9 billion dollar and growing league? Just saying.

Bigger, more profitable business = bigger paycheck. It's not rocket science regardless of whether you think he's done a good job or not. The owners do and they rewarded him as such.

jakncoke said:
Also fuck Bud Selig
You're just full of all kinds of hate today. On Valentine's Day, too! :jnc

LiveWire

Redskins aren't a competitor even with Peyton, they have literally no weapons on offense aside from Fred Davis. I think Peyton wants to go to a team that already has a great WR (Marshall, Fitzgerald, Holmes, etc.) but is lacking in QB. And I don't buy that he wants to play Eli twice a year, he'll probably go anywhere but the NFC East.

Can we really judge the Redskins skill players considering the coaching and/or quarterbacking in DC for the past 5 years? And like I said, plenty of stud WRs will be available in FA or draft. Of course Miami has an advantage as they already have a stud WR on the roster, but on the roster now or on the roster in April doesn't make a difference, they both will need to learn to work with Peyton. No one can outpay Dan Snyder. It just comes down to how Peyton views the Skins as a contender for him to win another championship. The one thing above all else that has kept the Redskins from contending is a good QB.

Bigger, more profitable business = bigger paycheck. It's not rocket science regardless of whether you think he's done a good job or not.

You're just full of all kinds of hate today. :jnc

6.6 Billion as of 2009. I'd say Selig's pay scales with Goodells considering.

Not that i'm arguing against Goodell making that kind of money in the first place. Calm down Future.

brady1.jpg

brady3.jpg

:JNC

jakncoke

Banned

Bigger, more profitable business = bigger paycheck. It's not rocket science regardless of whether you think he's done a good job or not. The owners do and they rewarded him as such.

You're just full of all kinds of hate today. On Valentine's Day, too! :jnc

My Selig hate is a little(lot) more valid. I'm a Pirates fan and ofc you know we refuse to pay free agents so our only chance is to over slot players, Selig closed that with his bs new rules. We are doubly fucked.

Narag

So with all this talk about Peyton Manning supposedly being willing to take an incentive-based contract in recognition of the fact that his arm strength still hasn’t returned, an obvious question arises.

Would he do that for the Colts?

Owner Jim Irsay publicly has posted that very question today, according to Mike Chappell of the Indianapolis Star.

“We can make it work if he wants to be here,’’ Irsay said. “We’d be excited to have him back and finish his career with us.

“I want him to be able to make the choice. We would love to have him back here if he can get healthy and we can look at doing a contract that reflects the uncertainty of the . . . healing process with the regeneration of the nerve
.’’

It doesn’t necessarily put Peyton in checkmate, but it definitely puts him in check. Now, he has to find a way around the reality that, if no other team is going to be willing to give him $28 million on March 8, why should the Colts?

Irsay’s comments also bring back into focus the reality that Manning could agree to bump back that $28 million bonus payment to a later date, if he so chooses. Though agent Tom Condon didn’t specifically say that Peyton wouldn’t delay the trigger in a Super Bowl-week appearance on NBC SportsTalk, he said the dates in the contract were picked for a reason.

It’ll now be even more interesting to see how this plays out. But with Irsay making it clear that he wants to keep Peyton with the franchise, Peyton faces the very real possibility of having to admit that, in the end, he simply wanted out of Indy.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/14/irsay-puts-peyton-in-a-corner/

My Selig hate is a little(lot) more valid. I'm a Pirates fan and ofc you know we refuse to pay free agents so our only chance is to over slot players, Selig closed that with his bs new rules. We are doubly fucked.

Pirates owners are making money hand over fist. You should hate them. They're the Bungles of baseball.

I think players in general should shut their mouths when it comes to other peoples pay checks considering how quickly they look into cashing in on their "god given talents". Rightfully so, mind you but you can't hate a man for making what he does.

Furthermore, for all of the bitching - the owners are who determines Goodell's paycheck last I checked. Specifically the leagues compensation committee (ironically headed up by Falcons owner Arthur Blank).

Yeah, I don't care for Goodell, but White's argument is retarded.

As for Goodell creating Thursday Night Football, he's extending it yes, but I doubt he created it. Goodell became commish the same year TNF started, '06, but that had to be in the works long before then under Tags's watch, most likely back when they put NFL Net together in 03. Making the Pro Bowl even more useless than it was and putting the draft in prime time are all his though.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I think we should just be thankful that Bob Costas wasn't successful in worming his way into the comissioner position.

Hellix

Good move by Irsay. Everyone knows the Colts are starting a clean slate, but I bet most fans would be outraged if they cut or traded their beloved QB. Now the decision is ultimately on Peyton if he wants to stay there or go to a team to contend for a Super Bowl, if healthy.

Fox318

Good move by Irsay. Everyone knows the Colts are starting a clean slate, but I bet most fans would be outraged if they cut or traded their beloved QB. Now the decision is ultimately on Peyton if he wants to stay there or go to a team to contend for a Super Bowl, if healthy.

Manning has no reason to re arrange his contract. He earned that bonus and Irsay should't have let a deal like that go though if he thought it was suspect. If it weren't for Peyton the colts would be in LA.

Spectral Glider said:
Making the Pro Bowl even more useless than it was and putting the draft in prime time are all his though.
Making changes to the schedule to put more divisional games at the end of the season was a solid move, IMO.

EDIT: Vita stuff arrived! Now I have to wait a week for the damned system.:(

Milchjon

Pro-Bowl should just be a fun event.

It doesn't need to be a game, it just needs to be fun and light hearted.

I think I'd prefer some kind of skill competition. Both the combine and those old QB competitions are more exciting. Maybe throw in a flag football game, but stop this pretend stuff they're doing now.

jakncoke

Banned
The pro bowl should have like all kinds of lulzy events. Like 40 yard dash among retired players, flag football tournement, qb competition again..ect ect. And it definitely needs to be played by regular rules, these pro bowl rules they got are fucking retarded

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
How much does David Stern make? That guy should be paid megabucks for what he's done to the NBA (in my amateur NBA opinion).

It's fun hating on Goddell but he is the commissioner of a league that is growing substantially year over year. Hard to argue with numbers.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
TexansGAF whats the word on Foster or Mario? I already said my piece on why it has to be Foster, but I'm wondering what the rumblings are down there.

Also:

Wouldn't it be interesting if the Texans
Exit 172 : 12:54 pm
stunned the world by taking Mario over a running back (Bush), but then chose to keep an undrafted running back over Mario?

That's funny. And Foster is about 50 times better than Bush.

TexansGAF whats the word on Foster or Mario? I already said my piece on why it has to be Foster, but I'm wondering what the rumblings are down there.

Also:

That's funny. And Foster is about 50 times better than Bush.

Try 100 times better. Bush is a fat sack of shit. Couldn't run his way out of a box of macaroni and cheese. God, I hope the Raiders don't keep him.

Those pics only remind me how soul-less the new SB logos are. "unity" and "continuity" here are synonyms for "laziness in design."

They have a good structure to the design, all they need to do is change up the font face and the styling and they'd be good, but they're too lazy to do that.

Silly.

Tamanon

Banned
Manning has no reason to re arrange his contract. He earned that bonus and Irsay should't have let a deal like that go though if he thought it was suspect. If it weren't for Peyton the colts would be in LA.

Just in terms of keeping the Colts competitive, Manning has been worth every penny. If only because Polian was a moronic GM who didn't know the concept of depth.

jakncoke

Banned
Best commissioner in the history of the game. Not his fault your team is fucking abysmal at drafting and developing talent.

Developing talent is besides the point! It makes no fucking sense to allow a basic free world for rich teams to spend spend and not allow the same in the draft. Gotdamn contrarian sconi

eznark

Banned
Developing talent is besides the point! It makes no fucking sense to allow a basic free world for rich teams to spend spend and not allow the same in the draft. Gotdamn contrarian sconi

Up until this coming draft, there was no restrictions on spending in the draft. The Pirates consistently took signability above talent. No one to blame but your ownership.

Sanjuro

Bettman is the only commissioner who intentionally hurt (raped) his sport. You can have issues with the rest, but they all pale in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom