• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Off-Season Thread: "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
i used to make fun of hockey but then i saw a kings game live and it was actually pretty fucking awesome. it still doesn't make me want to watch it on TV. but i would not hesitate to see a hockey game in person

Big-E

I know I am a little late on the Goodell talk but wanted to just back jnc up. Goodell can fuck all off as a fan. I don't care if the NFL is a 9 billion dollar business or a 2 billion dollar business. Either way, I get to watch the sport so all that matters to me is that the league is healthy and the product is good. Goodell can be some awesome negotiatior with the networks but I don't give a shit about that because that doesn't really affect me all that much. What affects me is the product on the field and Goodell has done a pretty awesome job of coming up with rule changes that don't really make a lot of sense and in my honest opinion, have hurt the game. Championing a man just because the NFL is making more money than ever is just bullshit because like JNC said, I didn't get one dime from that 9 billion. Goodell inherited the Superbowl, he inherited all of this.

People brought up Bettman and I think he is a piece of shit too but like him or not, he has been able to grow his product while facing much more adversity than Goodell.

We got spoiled during the 90's. There are still decent crowds on the weekends, but there is almost no one there during the week.

About the Braves... its an all latino/caucasian roster in a +54% African/African-American city with a 5% latino population and a 36% Caucasian population...

Atlanta has ~420k people.

Here is the player breakdown nationwide as of 2005, Caucasian (56 percent), Latino (28.2 percent), African-American (10.8 percent) or Asian (2 percent).

Im just saying... and IIRC attendence is very much swayed toward the latino and caucasian communities.

Just saying.

I know I am a little late on the Goodell talk but wanted to just back jnc up. Goodell can fuck all off as a fan. I don't care if the NFL is a 9 billion dollar business or a 2 billion dollar business. Either way, I get to watch the sport so all that matters to me is that the league is healthy and the product is good. Goodell can be some awesome negotiatior with the networks but I don't give a shit about that because that doesn't really affect me all that much. What affects me is the product on the field and Goodell has done a pretty awesome job of coming up with rule changes that don't really make a lot of sense and in my honest opinion, have hurt the game. Championing a man just because the NFL is making more money than ever is just bullshit because like JNC said, I didn't get one dime from that 9 billion. Goodell inherited the Superbowl, he inherited all of this.

People brought up Bettman and I think he is a piece of shit too but like him or not, he has been able to grow his product while facing much more adversity than Goodell.

Or, you can not make the rule changes and let the scrutiny of the game from doctors, and ex-players destroy the popularity of football. Have the league crumble slowly over the next couple of decades and finally be buried under all the lawsuits.

Honestly the only thing I don't like is the handcuffs they put on defensive players every year, but they will adapt, they always do.

As a Steeler fan, I've always been a fan of hard-hitting defense. The Steel Curtain would all be fined and/or suspended in today's NFL. While I understand the concerns around concussions and potential lawsuits down the road, the product on the field has been adjusted to the point where teams can't play that intimidating style of defense any longer.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that the success of Manning and Brady -- and their matchups -- and the subsequent injury to Brady forced Goodell and the owners to make adjustments that simply made the game less violent. And while that's likely better for the players, it's less interesting for us fans.

Final word on Goodell. He needs to hand over the reigns on fines for hits, etc. He's inconsistent as fuck and his petty grudges against certain individuals come creeping out. Give it to a former player who understands how this all goes down on the field. I really like how the NHL has Shanny handling it. He's doing a pretty good job at being consistent and explaining why certain hits are fined certain amounts, etc. Also, repeat offenders get the suspensions.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
It's no secret that I dislike Goodell, but I don't give 2 shits what he gets paid. Frankly, he's probably grossly underpaid for being the CEO and public mouthpiece of a $9b company.

Greg

i used to make fun of hockey but then i saw a kings game live and it was actually pretty fucking awesome. it still doesn't make me want to watch it on TV. but i would not hesitate to see a hockey game in person
Yeah, live hockey is a great experience. I saw a CHL and an NHL game, and both were a ton of fun.

It's no secret that I dislike Goodell, but I don't give 2 shits what he gets paid. Frankly, he's probably grossly underpaid for being the CEO and public mouthpiece of a $9b company.

Well shit, I never thought about it this way.

NHL needs to cut 6 teams and 20 games off its schedule.

Also, ban fighting already. Playoff hockey is amazing and features virtually zero fighting.

Let's see, cut:

Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancover, and Montreal. That WOULD improve the league! (yeah, I know. You wanna cut my team, don't ya?)

Well shit, I never thought about it this way.

Let's see, cut:

Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Calgary, Vancover, and Montreal. That WOULD improve the league! (yeah, I know. You wanna cut my team, don't ya?)

Who's your team?

6 teams, I would cut - Florida, Carolina, Tampa, Phoenix, Nashville, Dallas. NHL were fools to think Gretzky alone would sell hockey in the south.

snesfreak

Banned
I'm pretty sure my original post would have gotten me banned.
Ugh, hurry up laptop I have to go to sleep.
Restoring my laptop back to factory settings so I can sell it, it's taking forever.

BigAT

Mark Sanchez trying to patch up his relationship with Santonio like a man:

Mark Sanchez @Mark_Sanchez
@santonio10 you want to be my Valentine? #fb pic.twitter.com/6qEuVyMK

Alq-1mGCMAAmbqE.jpg

bionic77

I thought the ps3 is the best all around player
It was for a few years after the PS3 came out but that is some old ass tech in there.

That said I use my ps3 almost exclusively to watch BR and Netflix. It might do everything but that is all I use it for.

I can't believe I paid $500 for it.... :(

eznark

Banned
Pretty much any blu ray player that has internet connectivity is fine these days. Find one you like for $80-100 and you're golden. Vizio has one that is perfectly good for like $80 last I checked. It even has built in apps and shit.

bionic77

Pretty much any blu ray player that has internet connectivity is fine these days. Find one you like for $80-100 and you're golden. Vizio has one that is perfectly good for like $80 last I checked. It even has built in apps and shit.
How often do you have to update a stand alone DVD player for shit like Netflix and other apps?

It is annoying as fuck to update the PS3. It takes forever and it seems to need some new update every other week.

Dragon

Banned
How often do you have to update a stand alone DVD player for shit like Netflix and other apps?

It is annoying as fuck to update the PS3. It takes forever and it seems to need some new update every other week.

Netflix caches the login bro. Most times you can just hit circle and bypass logging into PSN.

eznark

Banned
You never have to. I bought a Vizio for my home office and it turned out that it had wi-fi and apps. I was shocked and kind of stoked (for like an hour, then I realized that the Roku does all that shit better). I've never updated it.

Most bluray firmware updates come on new releases and you don't really even notice the update.

Buckethead said:
What's a good Blu-Ray player?
This is the one I own:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004G8HXXO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Amazon, Netflix and a bunch of other apps are included. The wifi is built in and pretty good and playback is great. A bit better than the older Sony I had which was displayed a bit of a soft image in the PQ category.

bionic77 said:
I've updated twice in 7 month period and as mentioned, you never HAVE to. Though sometimes those firmware updates include disc compatibility updates. It's worth checking the release notes on the manufacturers website.

bionic77

Netflix caches the login bro. Most times you can just hit circle and bypass logging into PSN.
Yeah I know, but it is still a horrible experience. And sometimes you have to upgrade Netflix and that shitbox won't let you go online until you upgrade the PS3 to lastest firmware. Outside of the DS this gen sucked.

Btw, how did your valentine's date go? Did it end successfully with true love and a furious bout of love making in a truck stop or fast food bathroom? Or did it end unsuccessfully with your date wedged in the doorway and you unable to navigate the folds to enter the promised land?

Details!

6 teams, I would cut - Florida, Carolina, Tampa, Phoenix, Nashville, Dallas. NHL were fools to think Gretzky alone would sell hockey in the south.

Bettman is NBA oldschool though - the "you don't move a team that's won the title" mindset. Which means the Whalers, Bolts and Cowboys aren't going anywhere. (Dallas also has that odd new vancouver ownership...) I agree it would be a better league with fewer games though. Every game of the NFL season feels more important than any regular season NHL game.

This post-superbowl wasteland...ugh. Just counting down the days for Seattle to make another wild QB signing we can make fun of.

Oh and we should sign Arian. Drop Mendenhall off at the nearest shelter and revel in the league's best RB / twitter savant. Otherwise god help us when Dwyer is getting 15 rushes a game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom