• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL votes to move the St. Louis Rams to Los Angeles for the 2016 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Sheldon Adelson will meet with #Raiders owner Mark Davis tomorrow (Fri) about a potential Las Vegas Sands stadium. #NFL
https://twitter.com/Chris_Hoenig/status/692864014179643392?lang=en

BREAKING: UNLV plans to partner w/Adelson on stadium, bringing Raiders officials to town Friday to look at site: https://www.ralstonreports.com/blog/sands-partner-unlv-stadium-hope-bring-raiders-here …
https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/692834891365355520?lang=en

jblank83

Yeah this is the problem. The city of San Diego has made it 100% clear that they do not want the Chargers there anymore, so they have to go somewhere.

That's not true.

What the city has made clear is that they're not going to bankrupt themselves to build a stadium, nor ransom half the city's prime real estate to the Spanos family in exchange for helping to fund a stadium.

The city has made a realistic stadium proposal and continues to outreach to the organization to get a stadium built.

Yeah, I really don't get how moving to LA is a good move for the Chargers.

It sounded as though the Chargers were bidding for LA to prevent another team from moving to LA because they feared it would canibalize more of their market. The Chargers are one of the poorest performing teams in the NFL in terms of attendance and interest, and they were worried about losing what few fans they did have from the LA Area.

I hope that the Chargers stay in SAn Diego because I don't think that LA can support two franchises either.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The NFL will *never* approve a team in Vegas. Zero chance.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah this is the problem. The city of San Diego has made it 100% clear that they do not want the Chargers there anymore, so they have to go somewhere.

That's not even vaguely what happened, its just the Spanos narrative. What actually happened is that the Spanos family started demanding a stadium in the wake of the approval for construction of Petco Park and started ramping up the rhetoric for it right around the time the city was embroiled in a pension funding scandal in which the city was almost bankrupt, which was followed and coincided with the economy crashing in the late 00's.

In the wake of that, the Chargers demanded the City foot the bill for a huge stadium and spent all of their time demanding a downtown stadium which required the city to essentially raze the bus depot which is legally impossible to do for almost 15 years. When it became clear the team "plans" were just pie in the sky aspirations, the team started demanding that stadium funding get put to a straight vote backed by a tax hike which due to the CA Constitution requires a 66% approval rating (which is an almost literal impossibility for virtually any measure no matter what it is). This was because the Spanos family was ramping up to get support out of the owners for a relocation vote that the City was being uncooperative because the NFL has long held the position that they like San Diego as an NFL market and they needed a good reason to leave.

ReAxion

^ dead on ^ - also the hoteliers don't want a downtown stadium for some reason, I forget what it is. is it the tax hike?

It sounded as though the Chargers were bidding for LA to prevent another team from moving to LA because they feared it would canibalize more of their market. The Chargers are one of the poorest performing teams in the NFL in terms of attendance and interest, and they were worried about losing what few fans they did have from the LA Area.

I hope that the Chargers stay in SAn Diego because I don't think that LA can support two franchises either.

The attendance and interest are great when the team isn't a piece of shit, which has accidentally happened a couple times despite being under Spanos control. The NFL likes San Diego as a market which is why there's noise about the Raiders going there if the Chargers leave.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
The NFL will *never* approve a team in Vegas. Zero chance.
I understand that this is related to gambling, but I'm not sure why the gambling prevents an NFL team from moving there. Does it have something to do with match fixing?

I understand that this is related to gambling, but I'm not sure why the gambling prevents an NFL team from moving there. Does it have something to do with match fixing?

It's also a really, really bad idea from a personnel standpoint. Having a lot of young millionaires living in Vegas is a recipe for disaster.

Angry Grimace

You can sum up the answer with the word "gambling" but it also involves the mob.

There's a reason why there are no major league teams in Las Vegas despite it being quite a bit larger than other areas that have teams.

^ dead on ^ - also the hoteliers don't want a downtown stadium for some reason, I forget what it is. is it the tax hike?

The attendance and interest are great when the team isn't a piece of shit, which has accidentally happened a couple times despite being under Spanos control. The NFL likes San Diego as a market which is why there's noise about the Raiders going there if the Chargers leave.

Because they have some kind of hardon for a continguous convention center expansion and the mayor is a piece of shit who won't stand up to the hoteliers.

jblank83

The Chargers are one of the poorest performing teams in the NFL in terms of attendance and interest....

San Diego typically sells 90-95% of their tickets. Their average was 67k / 70k seats last year, near the median for all teams. While they're middle of the pack in total numbers, and lower end in terms of percent sold, it's not 80% St Louis Rams numbers.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_attendance_figures

Their worst recent year was 2012 when they did 84% ticket numbers.

In comparison, last year the New England Patriots sold just 57 (fifty seven) more tickets per game on average, and 2.6% more of the total seats available.

Point being that the Chargers organization isn't hurting from a lack of ticket sales. They're making money.

Would a team in Los Angeles cannibalize their sales that much? I doubt it but it's possible. I'd like to see some data on that topic, tbqh.

RBH

The Chargers have reached an agreement in principle with the Los Angeles Rams regarding the two teams sharing a stadium in Inglewood.

The agreement allows the Chargers to move to Los Angeles.

The question that remains is when that will happen — or if it will.

The next step is for Chargers chairman Dean Spanos to announce his decision about whether he will give his adopted hometown another try. Two sources indicated Friday that announcement is imminent, but they did not provide specifics.

NFL owners voted earlier this month to allow the Rams to move from Los Angeles and gave the Chargers the option to join them. The sides began meeting the following week and focused on a deal brokered by the NFL in which the Chargers would be a revenue-sharing tenant in the Inglewood stadium, which is set to open in 2019.

The Chargers have until January 15, 2017, to exercise their option to move. If they get a stadium initiative approved this year, that deadline could be extended to 2018 to allow for legal challenges or a second election, if necessary.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jan/29/chargers-rams-agree-principle-decision/

Nightz

Chargers are staying in San Diego for 2016. Get something done please!

Dear Chargers Fans,

Today I decided our team will stay in San Diego for the 2016 season and I hope for the long term in a new stadium.

I have met with Mayor Faulconer and Supervisor Roberts and I look forward to working closely with them and the business community to resolve our stadium dilemma. We have an option and an agreement with the Los Angeles Rams to go to Inglewood in the next year, but my focus is on San Diego.

This has been our home for 55 years, and I want to keep the team here and provide the world-class stadium experience you deserve.

Everyone on both sides of the table in San Diego must now determine the best next steps and how to deploy the additional resources provided by the NFL.

I am committed to looking at this with a fresh perspective and new sense of possibility.

With deep appreciation for your years of support,

Dean A. Spanos
Chairman

http://www.chargers.com/news/2016/01/29/statement-dean-spanos

Weevilone

Just talked to a neighbor that was a Rams season ticket holder since the beginning. He's putting that money into 2 trips per year to fly from St. Louis to Miami for a weekend so the family can see 2 Dolphin games.

Talked to another friend who was in for $20k per year with the Rams since day 1 (well $20k today dollars, no idea back in the day).. He immediately threw the $20k into the Blues, so I'm happy to see that. I'm a huge Blues fan, so hoping more people do that.

Angry Grimace

They're staying, but the problem is that the Chargers stadium plans are absurdly ambitious to the point of being non-feasible. They're leaving and the Raiders are going to get both the money and a reduced cost relocation fee to move to San Diego. It's happening, you'll see.

smoothj

great now another year of torture and trickle down news... Well at least I got my chargers for another year. Could be worse. Lets get a deal done!

Fantomex

Just talked to a neighbor that was a Rams season ticket holder since the beginning. He's putting that money into 2 trips per year to fly from St. Louis to Miami for a weekend so the family can see 2 Dolphin games.

Talked to another friend who was in for $20k per year with the Rams since day 1 (well $20k today dollars, no idea back in the day).. He immediately threw the $20k into the Blues, so I'm happy to see that. I'm a huge Blues fan, so hoping more people do that.

So he's actually paying to go see the dolphins?
nxMBqb4.gif

Thaedolus

Gold Member

What kind of fuck you money must a guy have to be in for 20k/year for a sports team? Jesus Christ. I can't even be assed to buy cable to watch my team

Gigglepoo

They better announce that they're staying in San Diego long term before the season starts of no one will show up. No one else should move to LA anyway. Who wants to be the Rams sloppy seconds. Ick.

ReAxion

They better announce that they're staying in San Diego long term before the season starts of no one will show up. No one else should move to LA anyway. Who wants to be the Rams sloppy seconds. Ick.

People will continue to sell their tickets to vacationing fans and the broadcasters will continue to wonder why the stadium is half full of visiting teams' fans.

I don't think the Raiders would mind being a tenant to the Rams, either.

t26

If the raiders move the Rams will be sloppy second

Blackhead

Redarse
They're staying, but the problem is that the Chargers stadium plans are absurdly ambitious to the point of being non-feasible. They're leaving and the Raiders are going to get both the money and a reduced cost relocation fee to move to San Diego. It's happening, you'll see.

I got my fingers crossed that the Raiders move to London just for the inevitable mascot fights during matchups between the London Raiders and New England Patriots :p

by the way, how many owners don't live in the same city as their team? Odds of an owner relocating a team to London/Toronto but not moving themselves?

"Sloppy Seconds" is the Chargers unofficial team name anyway. There's a reason there's more visiting fans than home fans at Chargers games.

riotous

Banned

What does this even mean? What does "threw $20k into the Blues" mean?

riotous

Banned
St. Louis Blues, which is a NHL team... :)

I know who the Blues are; how do you "throw $20k" into an NHL team?

Are they a publically traded comodity? Or is he just saying his neigboor tells him exctly how much money he spends on a sports team, and now he plans spending that same amount of money on tickets/merchandise a year but now on the Blues?

If so; what a weird conversation to have with your neighboor lol.

Weevilone

St. Louis Blues, which is a NHL team... :)

Yup, that's right.. Blues season tickets.. Should have been more clear with my wording. He simply had that much budgeted for Rams tickets and he's now moved that into Blues tickets.

To the other question about $20k.. it is kind of crazy. I know 1 guy that pays in excess of $50k for his Blues season tickets. They have a member's club called Sub Zero Club that's deep inside the arena next to the Blues locker room. You get "complimentary" food and beverages with that, as well as access to the players and alumni that come in.. as well as being able to high five the players when they come off the ice after games, etc.. That membership is $10k per person, per season on top of ticket prices. Guy has 2 seats at center ice down by the glass, 2 Sub Zero Club memberships.. plus I think 4 extra seats up high for other people to use. The extra 4 are for his employees, so at least that runs thru his business.

Sports business is interesting for sure.

If so; what a weird conversation to have with your neighboor lol.

It was a little less explicit than that, but I have season tickets as well, so when I found out where his seats are.. it's a holy shit moneybags moment and I knew roughly how much he was forking over... and then he told me how much.

riotous

Banned
Ah I guess that kind of makes sense; was thinking "NFL tickets gotta be more expensive" but then I realized there's probably far more NHL games.

Angry Grimace

The Raiders have a history of suing the league and winning, nothing would surprise me here.

There's just no way when there are basically any viable options.

People will continue to sell their tickets to vacationing fans and the broadcasters will continue to wonder why the stadium is half full of visiting teams' fans.

I don't think the Raiders would mind being a tenant to the Rams, either.

A friend of mine did bring up a good point: there's no rational reason to relocate in 2017 vs. 2016 if they don't have any intent to stay in San Diego to work out a deal. In fact, its like 100% downside in terms of building up a fanbase, tickets, etc.

RBH

The Chargers believe they could know within two to three months whether a new stadium deal is realistic in San Diego, sources told ESPN's Jim Trotter.

Faulconer and Roberts met with Spanos at his La Jolla home Friday. They contend that building a new stadium at the Qualcomm site in Mission Valley would be quicker and cheaper than the Chargers' desire to build a stadium downtown as part of a noncontiguous expansion of the convention center.

A spokesman for Faulconer said Mark Fabiani, who has led the Chargers' stadium push for 15 years, was not at the meeting. It wasn't immediately clear whether Fabiani, who has attacked Faulconer's proposals for the past year, will be involved when negotiations resume.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...eached-rams-long-term-solution-not-worked-out

RBH

The following memo, obtained by NFL Media's Albert Breer, was sent out by the NFL to the public relations directors for all 32 teams, regarding the Raiders' exploration of Las Vegas as a possible destination for relocation:

CZ_Rhy6UcAQAEYx.jpg:large

Angry Grimace

The NFL has been hostile to literally anything being in Vegas for well over half-a-century and has been hostile as recently as 2015. It's not happening.

The fact that the league itself doesn't say "no teams in Las Vegas" doesn't mean anything because the owners will never approve it and they already hate Mark Davis.

mcfrank

The best thing about the proposal in Vegas is that it is a shared University/NFL stadium. There should be way more of those in cities where it makes sense.

Meanwhile St.Louis has NOTHING and my insane love of football died the moment the trucks left town. I sincerely hope Stan Kroenke and Roger Goodell get eaten by a pack of rabid hyenas. Gut wrenching that my Dad and I can bond over the fact the NFL screwed both of us over in our lifetime 1st with the Cardinals and now the Rams. This blows.

RBH

Could the NFL stadium arms race hit Oakland? Its mayor says the city wants a “permanent, beautiful home for those Raiders” in the Bay Area.

Appearing on KTVU-TV on Sunday, Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf said (via Pro Football Talk), that the goal is to secure a renewal of the lease for the Raiders at O.co Coliseum then prepare for negotiations with team owner Mark Davis that would generate a new stadium in Oakland.

The NFL rejected last month the Raiders' proposal to move to Los Angeles, then offered $100 million to help finance a Raiders stadium in Oakland.

Schaaf said that the team’s preferred $900 million Oakland stadium “can be done" and be built using “limited public tools” to assist the process.

While the Raiders have explored other cities for relocation, including Las Vegas, Schaaf said simply, “I have spent the whole year as mayor looking at pictures of a stadium in Carson.

“We’re waiting for Mark to explore his options, which he absolutely has the right to do," she said.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-news/4693323-raiders-stadium-oakland-mayor-renew-oco-lease

RBH

In 2015, Carson became a 4-letter word to Chargers fans. But in an ironic twist of fate, now the same strategy the Chargers used to try and make their jump to Los Angeles is likely going to be used to try and build a new stadium in San Diego.

A lot has been made of the Chargers “coming back to the negotiating table” with Mayor Kevin Faulconer and County Supervisor Ron Roberts. If the Chargers plan plays out, local politicians will still have significant input into the process because the team will want and need their support. But, in the end, the content of the citizen’s initiative and the campaign to win support for it will be decided on and funded by the Chargers.

Through a review of financial disclosures in Carson, NBC 7 SportsWrap has learned the members of the team the Chargers put together to fully entitle the land in Carson via a citizen’s initiative. A source close to the Chargers, speaking on the condition of anonymity, confirmed the team’s desire to have a citizen’s initiative be their course of action for whichever site is chosen, be it Mission Valley or Downtown San Diego.

“No matter which site is selected — Mission Valley or downtown — the quickest and most legally defensible way to gain the necessary local environmental entitlements will be through the citizen’s initiative process,” said the source. “That process will also involve all interested parties — community groups, fan organizations, organized labor, and the private sector — helping to provide the effort with real momentum in the way that would not be possible as the result of months of quiet, behind the scenes negotiating.”

In reality, the team feels citizen's initiative might be its only option. The Chargers still fear the so-called "quickie" EIR the City did for the Mission Valley site will not stand up to legal challenges and miss the August certification window, making it impossible to put on a November ballot. One more reason to believe the Bolts will be focusing their efforts on Downtown.

Chargers owner Dean Spanos has said publicly he prefers the Downtown stadium idea. To get that done, his best bet is to assemble the same team that got the Carson site entitled in a mere two months.

That team, according to public disclosure forms, consists of the law firm of Latham & Watkins; the political law and lobbying firm of Nielsen Merksamer; global investment firm Goldman Sachs; and of course Chargers Special Counsel Mark Fabiani, and the campaign and signature-gathering team that Fabiani and his partner Chris Lehane assembled.

Together they were able to push a citizen’s initiative through in Carson.

Fabiani and Lehane were also able to help Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson secure a new arena for the Kings when it seemed they were destined to move away from the California capitol. The Chargers may have lost out with their Carson proposal, but it’s not because the team working on the legal aspects did not do their jobs.

So with that success in their back pocket, the Chargers’ A-Team is about to be re-assembled for a run at a citizen’s initiative in San Diego, and the Bolts plan on starting that process soon.

NBC 7 SportsWrap was granted access to internal team documents that detail the timeline for putting the citizen’s initiative on the November ballot.

The first major deadline is March 24. That is when the measure must be drafted and ready for filing because the very next day a Notice of Intention, the full proposed legislation and an explanation of it, must be posted for the public to review.

Then on April 15 the public gets involved. That’s the day the petition can be circulated and the signature drive can begin. The Chargers paid for the signature drive in Carson and plan on doing that again in San Diego. This time they’ll need nearly 67,000 people to sign within an eight-week period in order to submit it to the City Clerk for verification.

The next major fencepost is July 18, when the City Council (assuming the signatures are verified) will have options on whether to adopt the initiative by Council action (which is what occurred in Carson) or to put it on the ballot. Assuming the Council chooses to place it before voters, the last possible day to place the citizen’s initiative on the November ballot is August 12.

All that leads up to the November 8 election. If all goes according to the Chargers plan

November 8 will also be the day they find out if they can go ahead with a new facility in San Diego or if they take the deal to move in with Stan Kroenke in Inglewood.

That is the timeline we are working with but there is one more factor. Expect a big P.R. push from the Bolts as they try to win back fans and win favor from local decision-makers.

The team understands having as many community leaders as they can on a united front makes what they’re about to attempt a whole lot easier.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/spo...n-Diego-Stadium-Comes-to-Light-367238731.html

RBH

Raiders owner Mark Davis said Monday that his team is negotiating a one-year lease extension with the O.co Coliseum in Oakland, California, and expects his team will remain in the city for the 2016 season.

"As of today, right now we are in the process of trying to negotiate a one-year extension at the Oakland Coliseum to play the 2016 season there," Davis said in an interview with the San Jose Mercury News' Tim Kawakami for his "TK Show" podcast. "And after we get that done, we'll sit down and try to figure out where the future of the Raiders lies."

Davis said the Raiders remaining in their current situation for 2016 is "not desirable" but "in life, you have to do things that make sense, and this absolutely makes sense."

He said the Raiders are not seeking any changes to the terms of their lease from last season, so it's "up to the city" when the agreement for 2016 is signed. Their current lease expires Feb. 17.

"It's always more challenging when all you're trying to do is a one-year short-term lease,'' Scott McKibben, the head of the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority, told The Associated Press. "These are more difficult to get done than a five- or 10- or 20-year lease when you're getting a longer commitment from all parties. But things are moving along, and we are having productive and meaningful discussions.''

Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf also told The AP on Monday that she is looking forward to sitting down soon with Davis to negotiate a deal for a new stadium.

"Of course I'm anxious to get them back to the table to talk about a new stadium," she said following a news conference held by the local organizing committee for Super Bowl 50 in the Bay Area. "But I understand that their first focus is where they play next year."

Davis, who has had conversations with billionaire Red McCombs about San Antonio and visited Las Vegas, said he didn't consider any other temporary homes for the Raiders other than the planned Carson, California, project, which failed to gain approval at the recent owners meetings.

He said his visit to Las Vegas last week was "interesting." He said he had a "great meeting" with UNLV, whose contingent included university president Len Jessup and former president Donald Snyder. He said he also met with casino magnates Steve Wynn and Sheldon Adelson and UFC owner Lorenzo Fertitta.

Davis said UNLV is building a new stadium whether there is an NFL team involved or not.

"I think Las Vegas is coming along," he said. "I don't know if the environment is correct for the National Football League or not. That's for the other [31] owners to decide."

Davis said Las Vegas believes "the Raider brand would do well there." He said he was unsure if the NFL would resist a potential move to Las Vegas. The league said in a memo sent to all 32 teams, however, that no city is considered off limits to teams considering relocating.

Davis said he hasn't made a recent visit to San Antonio. He made a visit to the city in 2014.

Davis also said in the interview that there are some other Bay Area sites that could work for the Raiders but that Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, the home of the San Francisco 49ers, isn't one of them. He didn't identify the locations he thought would work in the Bay Area.

"No, it's not," Davis said about the possibility of moving to Levi's Stadium. "I've always said in my mind, it's just not for the Raiders."

As for the reasons, he said the three criteria important to him for a stadium are "ingress, egress and parking."

Davis was also asked about potential interest in moving the team to San Diego if the Chargers decide to follow through with their agreement to partner with the St. Louis Rams on playing in Los Angeles.

Davis said he didn't want to say too much about San Diego because he didn't want to affect the team's negotiations with the city, which he called a "phenomenal place."

"For the Raiders, it would be great because we have a very large Hispanic market, and we think that's something that we could tap into down there," he said.

Still, Davis said he hopes the Chargers are able to get a stadium in San Diego "because I know the fans down there would like to keep them."

Asked for his message to Raiders fans, he said the fans are at the "forefront" of his thoughts on finding a new stadium for the team.

"They have been so patient and so forgiving through all of this that it's unbelievable to me," he said of Raiders fans.

Davis said the Raiders "have to have a home. We have to have a great home, and we want to have a great home," not only for the players, but the fans as well.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ating-remain-oakland-oco-coliseum-2016-season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom