• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Chargers plan to announce that they are moving to Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vimes

E-sports should learn from pro leagues and have teams represent cities.

That is in no way economically feasible for esports. And we just got an object lesson in how it's apparently not feasible for the NFL, which is one of the most profitable sports ventures of all time.

Bento

That is in no way economically feasible for esports. And we just got an object lesson in how it's apparently not feasible for the NFL, which is one of the most profitable sports ventures of all time.
Yet pretty much all non-US sports works exactly that way? :p The model of teams just packing their shit and switching cities seems utterly bizzarre to me. Plastic/Abramovich/Sheik teams taken to the next level o_O

Mossybrew

Sad. I was a Chargers fan for years, from the Humphries days. Some great times, the heyday of the Seau/Harrison defense, the LT days. We also had Ryan Leaf. It was tough to be a fan at times. Moved away and I don't really follow football these days, but it still sucks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This probably tells you all you need to know about LA's attitude towards the Chargers:

"The Galaxy is the main priority for StubHub Center," StubHub Center director of communication Brendan Hannan told the Los Angeles Times.

"The Chargers' NFL schedule will be built around the Galaxy schedule. The same will happen in terms of 2018."

Get in line behind Major League Soccer, Dean.

norm9

This probably tells you all you need to know about LA's attitude towards the Chargers:

"The Galaxy is the main priority for StubHub Center," StubHub Center director of communication Brendan Hannan told the Los Angeles Times.

"The Chargers' NFL schedule will be built around the Galaxy schedule. The same will happen in terms of 2018."

That's because the Galaxy can get 30000 fans to show up. Not sure about the chargers.

Nightz

Legit teared up hearing Rivers choke up at the end of his interview with SD radio this morning. Him, Gates and a couple of others are probably the only reason I would have a passing interest in the LA Chargers. Just doesn't feel right.

ReAxion

lol, good.

Chargers Owner Dean Spanos Screwed San Diego, and L.A. Is About to Screw Him
i wrote something similar to this in this thread haha

jstripes

Banned
Yet pretty much all non-US sports works exactly that way? :p The model of teams just packing their shit and switching cities seems utterly bizzarre to me. Plastic/Abramovich/Sheik teams taken to the next level o_O

The league system in North America is very corporate. Major league sports are also far more of a production.

I look at European soccer matches, and everything seems far more low key, plus the stadiums they play in aren't billion dollar spectacles.

RBH

kbhOISD.jpg

The thing is most people in LA couldn't give two shits about having a couple professional football franchises in town 'cause they know it will mean a bunch of extra days with heinous traffic in and around the stadiums they will play.

San Diego needs to keep their team, sorry. LA doesn't need two teams, anyway.

Unlike other Lakers fans, I don't mind the Clippers but I always thought they were better off in San Diego or Seattle.

The thing is most people in LA couldn't give two shits about having a couple professional football franchises in town 'cause they know it will mean a bunch of extra days with heinous traffic in and around the stadiums they will play.

Football is on Sundays generally.

I work over by the memorial stadium. I never noticed game day traffic on the freeway

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

It sucked this season being forced to watch the Rams on Fox, the NFC channel. Was used to getting some good games each week but that changed being forced to watch the Rams every week.

The Chargers were almost always on CBS, even before they moved to Los Angeles so not much is going to change on that front. At least the Chargers have been an entertaining team since Rivers has been quarterbacking.

I still feel really bad for the fans in San Diego though. It's not a good look for the NFL that two franchises have moved in the last two seasons.

Weevilone

It sucked this season being forced to watch the Rams on Fox, the NFC channel. Was used to getting some good games each week but that changed being forced to watch the Rams every week.

St. Louis feels your pain. It was refreshing to have good games available without jumping thru hoops this year. The NFL's TV rules suck.

LA will care if either team starts winning. There's too many other teams/and shit in general to do to waste time and money watching a crap team.

You don't say...

LA doesn't care about either of the teams. At least not yet.

Actually the first 9 or so games of the season, including all pre season games were 90,000 sold out... and complete insanity. However, LA fans don't got no time for mediocrity and that is what you see in that photo.

LA fans care, but they show disdain by speaking with their wallets and simply not showing up. This isn't football exclusive, you see if for every sport. A lot of cities could honestly learn from this instead of showing up with bleeding hearts to support garbage performance. What motivation do many poor performing teams (ie, front office) have if their fans still show up, fill seats and spend money on concessions?

Hint : very little

Just look at Laker attendance the past 2 years, they've been surpassed by the Clippers. Not because of bandwagoning but because fans expect more of their teams and refuse to reward mediocrity.

RBH

StubHub Center, the home of the Chargers for the next two seasons, with a capacity around 30,000:

719abb4a-76ed-484b-9f3d-13aaf3f86084.jpg

b5e1c6fd-26c8-410d-8b79-de0774eea707.jpg

C2ZHnUyUUAA5Yv3.jpg

Complete with "luxury" cabanas!

196f047f-133a-44d2-98da-a9e13a958015.jpg

Sephzilla

To echo what I said in the NFLGAF thread - You know at some point they aren't going to be able to sell out that stadium, and it's going to be so god damn embarassing

I dunno, I think the other 31 franchises in the NFL, 30 teams in the NBA, 30 teams in MLB, and 28 teams in the NHL are a testament that the city/region models works fairly well most of the time.

It doesn't work, though, when dumb owners do dumb things, like open a team in a city that has almost no support for the sport/team, or move a team from a city that has supported that team for 50+ years despite ownership continually putting a shit product on the field. Sadly, the Chargers are an exercise in both of those things.

StubHub Center, the home of the Chargers for the next two seasons, with a capacity around 30,000:

C2ZHnUyUUAA5Yv3.jpg

I wouldn't be against a small intimate football stadium, but this place sucks. Benches instead of seats, and even worst, I bet rows 1-10 are terrible for watching NFL football games. The distance between the field and the stands looks pretty significant, and the seats don't look to be pitched high enough for American football. One of the funny ironies if you ever go to an NFL game is when they do those "Seat Rewards" and move somebody from, say, the 300 level down to the front row... Those are some of the worst seats in the house. You can't see most of the field, and if you're anywhere from the 40-40 yard line, players are obstructing your view. Best seats 45 to 45 and 15-20 rows back, or the front row of the first balcony.

Going to a packed, 30,000 person stadium is great in the right circumstances. But this just looks awful.

I didn't know the stadium was 100% privately funded. I thought I read somewhere that they moved because SD government refused to help pay for the stadium. I had assumed the LA government decided to pitch in.

C2ZHnUyUUAA5Yv3.jpg

They will be lucky to draw 15,000. This is a huge mistake, Rams couldn't even draw, and they have a history here. I swear this is so mismanaged, miscalculated.

It should have been the Raiders only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom