• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL votes to move the St. Louis Rams to Los Angeles for the 2016 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubz

I'm a long time 49ers fan that has lived in LA for way longer than I lived in SF. I've always said that if LA got a team I would stop being a Niners fan. Well that's impossible now, because the Rams may be the biggest Niners rival out there. It would just feel wrong. I'm happy for Los Angeles, though.

Algebrah

As a St. Louis person, I am ecstatic about this. Once my tax dollars pay finish paying for the old stadium I can feel lightly better because I am no longer funding that team.

entremet

You kinda brought up exactly why they're allowing it. LA is a fucking massive market, even more so than anything St Louis could ever hope to do. Hell, they're allowing and wanting 2 teams in LA. Sucks for fans in St Louis.

But they allowed LA to rot without a team for years for the benefits of owners and giving them a bargaining chip for tax payer paid stadiums.

The NFL isn't innocent in this whole thing. They're a scum organization.

Algebrah

I had no idea people still cared about the Rams this much. I live in STL and my Facebook feed is full of people upset about this.

Yeah, I feel like I live in a bubble. Everyone I knew pretty much expected them to leave and couldn't really care less. I feel like that stadium always had a lot of empty seats in it.

ReAxion

Mayor of San Diego having a press conference.

Wants to put the past behind.

Mission Valley offer is still on the table. If the Chargers want a different location, he's open to that (as long as it's viable and legal).

I dont follow football at all but many years ago in the first superbowl I ever watched (sb34 in 2000) it was Rams vs Titans and I arbitrarily picked Rams and placed my bets with family. They won and became "my team" if ever anyone demanded an answer.
Tickles me that they are now coming to my neck of the woods and will become the official team of my area. I also didn't know until just now that they have been in LA before.
This concludes my ignorant foray into football discussion for this year.

Weevilone

Yeah, I feel like I live in a bubble. Everyone I knew pretty much expected them to leave and couldn't really care less. I feel like that stadium always had a lot of empty seats in it.

That's how I feel, but I think it's a big bubble. None of my circle of friends has been to a game in ages, and all expected them to leave and don't care. If anything they're glad.

Mind you these are people that support the Blues and Cards quite well, and supported the Rams well in the past. It wasn't just the Rams performance on the field either, a lot of it was distaste for Kroenke.

It is hard to be a fan of a team when the owner of said team doesn't give a shit about where the team is. Moving teams should be only ever on the table under the most dire of circumstances.

Yes LA needs a team but like this?

I dont follow football at all but many years ago in the first superbowl I ever watched (sb34 in 2000) it was Rams vs Titans and I arbitrarily picked Rams and placed my bets with family. They won and became "my team" if ever anyone demanded an answer.
Tickles me that they are now coming to my neck of the woods and will become the official team of my area. I also didn't know until just now that they have been in LA before.
This concludes my ignorant foray into football discussion for this year.

What do you know. That is sort of how I became patriots fan, but with the 2002 super bowl, which also involved your rams

It is hard to be a fan of a team when the owner of said team doesn't give a shit about where the team is. Moving teams should be only ever on the table under the most dire of circumstances.

Yes LA needs a team but like this?

Well the Rams left Southern California in much the same way... so yeah I guess?

Nafai1123

Banned
Happy the Raiders aren't moving, but I have the feeling still having the option if the Chargers decide not to share with the Rams is just going to make Oakland/Davis continue to drag their feet on getting anything done in the East Bay.

Red Devil

I tried explaining soccer's relegation system to my native STL friends, they failed to grasp the concept of relegated to/promoted from minor league so I had to break it down like this: "Imagine that each season, 3 of the worst performing teams have to move to Boise, Idaho and unless they perform very well, they have to stay there"

Huh, that's not how it works.

RBH

20160108__SCHAAF-0109~1.JPG

In what could be the first step toward keeping the Raiders in Oakland long term, Mayor Libby Schaaf said Wednesday she is open to leasing the team land at a "favorable" price and sacrificing development opportunities to preserve parking spaces for tailgaters.

The mayor's statements, made one day after the NFL rejected the Raiders' bid to move to Los Angeles, marked a sharp departure from Oakland's Coliseum City vision of packing the 120-acre East Oakland site with new stadiums, office buildings, homes and shops.

Still, it's unclear whether the new approach is viable or whether Raiders owner Mark Davis will consider it. On Tuesday night, he refused to commit to playing in Oakland next season and wouldn't rule out trying to move to San Antonio.

Oakland's original Coliseum City plan was a non-starter for the Raiders in part because it would have required multilevel parking garages that would have been off-limits to tailgaters, while potentially snarling traffic after games.

While Schaaf still envisions some development on the site, primarily concentrated near the Coliseum BART station, she said the city's latest plan would retain 8,000 of the existing 9,500 surface parking spaces.

"We're asking the Raiders to give us the time and attention to show that this can be done," she said. "We never were able to get to the level of detail where they could see how we can leave room for development and still have the parking and tailgating they want."

The Raiders will have extra incentive to look closely at the city's new approach. As part of a compromise that will bring the Rams back to Los Angeles next season, the NFL is offering to boost its financial support for a new stadium in Oakland from $200 to $300 million.

Still, Davis in recent weeks has laid bare his grievances with city leaders, especially over a dispute whether the team had been promised full control over the Coliseum site.

Schaaf said she planned to call Davis on Wednesday in hopes of improving relations and making sure that Davis doesn't plan on leaving Oakland right away.

"Up until the last few hours, Mark has said consistently that his preference is Oakland," Schaaf said. "I intend to do everything I can to rekindle that feeling."

On Tuesday, Davis said he had no message for Schaaf. "She knows what it's going to take to get something done," he said, referencing his demand that the Raiders control the full Coliseum site.
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_29380109/oakland-ready-make-concessions-raiders-land-and-parking

RBH

The thinking among the owners is that, once Dean Spanos has a chance to process the opportunity in Inglewood, he’ll pounce.

Yes, it’s fair to wonder whether Rams owner Stan Kroenke will drive too hard of a bargain in the hopes of keeping a second team out of L.A. But, per multiple sources, Kroenke has promised the rest of the owners that he’ll be reasonable. Kroenke also, we’re told, has reduced to writing various commitments regarding the terms pursuant to which he’ll accept a second team in his new stadium.

As one source tells PFT, the Chargers already have begun working directly with the league to finalize the parameters for a deal in Inglewood, and the NFL will be directly involved in negotiations, if necessary.

There’s another reason for Kroenke to work something out. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Kroenke currently can’t begin selling premium products such as naming rights, club seats, PSLs, and sponsorships for his new stadium until 2017. If Kroenke makes a deal with the Chargers now, Kroenke can begin to sell premium products immediately.

The only lingering question is whether Spanos will choose to be a tenant or a partner. While partnership may be preferred, Spanos will have to be ready, willing, and able to write a check for half of the expenses required to get the stadium built. And if more of the overall development gets pulled into the partnership pot, the cost of equity and the risk that goes along with it gets even higher.

Given the $550 million relocation fee that the Chargers also would have to pay, Spanos could eventually opt to be a tenant.

Tenant or partner, it’s a deal that other owners think Spanos would be crazy not to do. As one source told PFT, “99 out of 100 would take this deal.”
-ProFootballTalk

nahlakhai

-ProFootballTalk

Florio is such crap. No sources, just pure speculation. The owners have all but basically said sorry not sorry to Spanos and Davis and to go back to their cities to get deals done. Unfortunately Spanos has crapped on the fans and the city and may be too proud to come back hat in hand.

RBH

Florio is such crap. No sources, just pure speculation. The owners have all but basically said sorry not sorry to Spanos and Davis and to go back to their cities to get deals done. Unfortunately Spanos has crapped on the fans and the city and may be too proud to come back hat in hand.
I'm fully aware that Florio that is a hack. :) Hence why I never post the direct link to his articles.

But in this instance, his speculation jives with what I've been reading from others. I think the bridge between Spanos and SD is beyond repair. Spanos will swallow his pride and head to Inglewood, in all likelihood.

How do you support a football team in the US, when they keep changing where they're based?

Say you live in a city and you support your local team, then that team moves away and a new team sets up. Do you just switch over to the new team that has arrived, or do you follow your old team from far away?

Sounds like bullshit to me.

nahlakhai

I'm fully aware that Florio that is a hack. :) Hence why I never post the direct link to his articles.

But in this instance, his speculation jives with what I've been reading from others. I think the bridge between Spanos and SD is beyond repair. Spanos will swallow his pride and head to Inglewood, in all likelihood.

Yep I agree. His leverage with the city is totally gone and I can't see him coming back with his tail between his legs. As a fan, I would totally be ecstatic if he eliminated LA and came back to the city, but I just can't see it happening.

On that note, his son A.G. Spanos who is the president of business ops, has publicly said that the $100million is a step in the right direction.

Into

How do you support a football team in the US, when they keep changing where they're based?

Say you live in a city and you support your local team, then that team moves away and a new team sets up. Do you just switch over to the new team that has arrived, or do you follow your old team from far away?

Its honestly the weirdest thing about American sports. One might ask why they cannot just introduce new teams, no need to take Sonics from Seattle, just give Thunder to OKC. And give a NFL team to LA etc.

But i imagine the way money is distributed to teams, the rest of the league would revolt. More teams = more sharing of TV revenue and even talent.

The football (soccer) team i support has been supported by my father and his father since WW1. The mere idea of moving that team is...mind boggling.

Grexeno

Relocation isn't exactly a common occurrence at all.

linkboy

It really doesn't happen all that often. Prior to this, the Browns/Ravens going to Baltimore was the last one and that was back in 1996.

Nightz

Definitely not following the Chargers when they move. Big draw for me about the San Diego Chargers was the San Diego part.

johnny956

For us in St Louis you just pick another team. Probably the Chiefs as they're still in state

Will they still be called the Rams? I wish they'd change it.

However, even though I could care less about the NFL or football, I know that LA had the Rams first.

I feel bad for St. Louis. I remember watching football at friends' and it being Kurt Warner winning the bowl.

slit

However, even though I could care less about the NFL or football, I know that LA had the Rams first.

I feel bad for St. Louis. I remember watching football at friends' and it being Kurt Warner winning the bowl.

Well technically Cleveland had them first.

Tobor

Why would they change it? They were the LA Rams for 60 years. They were only the St. Louis Rams for 20.

The name belongs to LA.

Weevilone

Its honestly the weirdest thing about American sports. One might ask why they cannot just introduce new teams, no need to take Sonics from Seattle, just give Thunder to OKC. And give a NFL team to LA etc.

But i imagine the way money is distributed to teams, the rest of the league would revolt. More teams = more sharing of TV revenue and even talent.

The football (soccer) team i support has been supported by my father and his father since WW1. The mere idea of moving that team is...mind boggling.

It's just a game of billionaire boys club. These guys are worth billions and get angsty when they can't milk as many more billions out of local economies as they wish. Kroenke went on in his report about financial ruin in St. Louis, but he's tripled his franchise investment from $500M to 1.5B during the time he's had the team. Shit was 80% sold out despite the poor play and asshole owner. Now he can go play LA and see if he can improve his nearly $8B fortune.

The fact that the public often winds up financing stadiums for these guys is obscene.

Why would two teams move to LA? How do people decide which to go for?

I mean I know there are the Clippers/Lakers and all but I find it weird having two sprout at the same time

smurfx

get some go again

I mean I know there are the Clippers/Lakers and all but I find it weird having two sprout at the same time
i'll go to some chargers games if i can get cheap tickets. actually i would prefer just going to some kick ass tailgates and eating some good food.

slit

Well because if the city/market is large enough it can support two teams. LA is definitely large enough. Whether or not the enthusiasm is there is another story.

The NFL is a little different than most sports in the US or elsewhere in that regard. You can find fans of every team in every city. The games are almost all on free network TV and all the big games are nationally televised. As you can see from this thread, people just pick teams almost at random and stick with them. There are several teams that have big national followings thanks to winning traditions. And people often follow big-name players, too, regardless of team. It's just a huge sport here and the league transcends regionalism.

And besides, it's a rare occurrence that teams move.

For us in St Louis you just pick another team. Probably the Chiefs as they're still in state

I'm down in Springfield and it's a big Chiefs area. I have pulled for both teams over the years. Chiefs fans are die hards. My problem now is that between this conniving bullshit, the concussions, the looking the other way when players beat women, the other felonies ... football is just less and less appealing to me.

Does the 550 million relocation fee go to the city of san diego?

LOL. That would make too much sense. It does to rich people (owners), not taxpayers or fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom