• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Week 16 |OT| The Comeback is Bigger than the Win

cdyhybrid

Go Hawks

Also go VikeBike and Cards this week.

Arizona we'll let you borrow HoFlynn this week if we can borrow Fitz for the playoffs.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
The Texans might have a Sanchez situation on their hands. I forgot they extended this dude for another 4 years earlier this season

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

:(

Could have had Manning.

harSon

Banned
The offense is designed for Ben to get rid of the ball if nothing is developing. The past few games Ben has not done this; instead choosing to wait for something to open up downfield and scrambling to buy time.

Ben stuck to this regimen at the beginning of the season and was putting up big numbers and we still had no run game. Upon his return from injury he abandoned it. Instead going back to scrambling and waiting to get downfield.

Yesterday there were tons of plays with guys wide open and able to get YAC underneath, and Ben ignored them for the big play.

Well, we were running on first and running on 2nd down (or some whack quick oass to the sidelines that would net 1-2 yards), and Ben would constantly be placed into a 3rd and long situation. He could either A) Throw the ball away and guarantee the drive resulted in nothing or B) Try and make something out of nothing. B obviously didn't work all that well in this game, but the net result is the same as A (ie. no points).

Not only was Ben scrambling the entire season, but the disciplined phase where Ben was racking up large numbers was largely during the stretch where our offensive line was healthy, playing as a unit consistently and blocking well, which led to a short lived renaissance of the running game. When that disappeared, so too did the offense as a whole. We were kind of shit in the beginning of the season if you recall...

I don't think Ben was back long enough (3 games) for you to make an assessment like this, especially when he played well for 99.9% of the Cowboys game. Ben definitely lost us the season, but it was by his absence due to injury, and not his overall play or mentality.

And I'm glad we lost Sunday considering we were unbelievably injured. Heath would have been out for the entire Playoffs.

Wellington said:
This was a bad season. If I stand back and look at the 2012 Giants I can't even tell you what the fuck the team is. They don't have a good pass rush, they can't really run the ball, they can't pass, they can't do anything well for more than one game. Fuck this team, players and the coaching staff, for wasting this season. Can't blame the FO, the talent to win is all there and we weathered injuries with relative ease. Hopefully Jerry Reese can draft another Madden style auto-win dominating player like JPP was his previous two years before this one
It has the stink of 2009 all over it doesn't it? The difference is at least the offense was still clicking in '09.

jbug617

Banned
What the hell happened to Freeman anyway?
We hadn't blown the Bucs out like that...I think ever.

New Taco Bell items

cZoiW.jpg

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
It has the stink of 2009 all over it doesn't it? The difference is at least the offense was still clicking in '09.

Right.

In 2009 Eli was ridiculous. Steve Smith was a pro-bowler, Nicks and Manningham showed they were supremely talented just needed play-time. Rushing game wasn't great but it's because we were behind due to a shit D.

At least that year we knew where the holes were. No safeties, no cohesive defensive game plan, DL couldn't produce a pass rush but Canty was out most of the year, Tuck was hurt, etc. This year there are too many leaks and it's hard to determine exactly what the problem was.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Shaub isnt a bad QB. I think it more has to do with coaching.

His noodle arm has been awful this year and he's still too damn slow, no coaching can fix that. Maybe it's cause we have had a running game since Foster, but he was better in the past imo. Have not been impressed with his play at all in important games this year, besides the Ravens game.

No one has even seen him in the playoffs yet, this shall be interesting.

Also the Texans could have had Manning over Schaub. Just ugh

Kubes has been awful the past three games, some of his worst coaching since we have become a good team. The players though are just as guilty, the O-line play has just been awful besides the ending of the Colts game.

squicken

What the hell happened to Freeman anyway?
We hadn't blown the Bucs out like that...I think ever.

He was just never more than an average QB at best. They asked him to do more this year and he couldn't. But that's good. They won't extend him and make a mistake on an average QB. If you don't have an elite QB that's worth $15m-$20m a year, then you need to be using a low cost one while you try and find the franchise guy. It's stupid to pay average QBs 9m a year when it's so easy to find that level of production for less money

Smokey

Shaub isnt a bad QB. I think it more has to do with coaching.

There isn't a less mobile quarterback in the league than him. There were numerous times yesterday on boots that broke down that any other QB would've been able to at least run and get a 2-3 yard gain rather than throwing the ball away or at the feet of receivers.

Weak arm -- hardly ever throws deep which means teams don't really need to account for it. Except on the boots, but you bottle that up and he becomes an extremely average QB

Scared to stand in the pocket. In the beginning of the year he did this (Denver hit) but like I said yesterday seems like he's playing scared.

Downs that require 8 yards for a first, he throws for a gain of 4. That may be more with Kubiak but that has happened way too many times this year

Everytime theres a game that means something he sweats like he's outside in a fucking rain storm

jakncoke

Banned
There isn't a less mobile quarterback in the league than him. There were numerous times yesterday on boots that broke down that any other QB would've been able to at least run and get a 2-3 yard gain rather than throwing the ball away or at the feet of receivers.

Weak arm -- hardly ever throws deep which means teams don't really need to account for it. Except on the boots, but you bottle that up and he becomes an extremely average QB

Scared to stand in the pocket. In the beginning of the year he did this (Denver hit) but like I said yesterday seems like he's playing scared.

Downs that require 8 yards for a first, he throws for a gain of 4. That may be more with Kubiak but that has happened way too many times this year

yeah but his play action game might be the best in the game!

Matrix

I think Schaub is becoming retarded with all the pressure...

201212231305471244192-p2.jpg

201212231538563264621-p2.jpeg

So VIKEBIKE's gonna have Niners and Hawks fans cheering for them this weekend?

I'm not counting all of the other fanbases that just want to watch GB get beat. :p

For a team that was 2-12 this time last year (on the way to a pointless third win), I'm impressed with what Frazier has done this season. Also- Spielman's drafting. Matt Kalil, Harrison Smith, Josh Robinson, Blair Walsh, and even Rhett Ellison. Absolutely wonderful young pick-ups.

A few more nice picks, more Ponder growing/improving, and this team could be a decent threat in the NFC for years to come.

I expect a classic NFC North black-and-blue game this weekend. Everything on the line. Glorious football, boys, win or lose.

cajunator

Banned
He was just never more than an average QB at best. They asked him to do more this year and he couldn't. But that's good. They won't extend him and make a mistake on an average QB. If you don't have an elite QB that's worth $15m-$20m a year, then you need to be using a low cost one while you try and find the franchise guy. It's stupid to pay average QBs 9m a year when it's so easy to find that level of production for less money

Probably the case. QBs can be so up and down. I think Brees misses Payton clearly, but honestly he always has two or three games where he plays like dogshit, and thats even when Payton is there, so this year was a bit similar. But Payton would be able to outcoach the other guy and that made a lot of the difference this year. Brees still got the team to a possible 8-8 so thats not too awful. I still think he was worth the big payday, because otherwise, this team would be 100% fucked. It says a lot about him that a bad year consisted of 39 TDs and 4700 yards, although his interception total was pretty bad. But a lot of times he was pressing because our defense is some of the worst ever seen. Gotta get him some help up front and get osme pass rush for next year.

Well, we were running on first and running on 2nd down (or some whack quick oass to the sidelines that would net 1-2 yards), and Ben would constantly be placed into a 3rd and long situation. He could either A) Throw the ball away and guarantee the drive resulted in nothing or B) Try and make something out of nothing. B obviously didn't work all that well in this game, but the net result is the same as A (ie. no points).

Not only was Ben scrambling the entire season, but the disciplined phase where Ben was racking up large numbers was largely during the stretch where our offensive line was healthy, playing as a unit consistently and blocking well, which led to a short lived renaissance of the running game. When that disappeared, so too did the offense as a whole. We were kind of shit in the beginning of the season if you recall...

I don't think Ben was back long enough (3 games) for you to make an assessment like this, especially when he played well for 99.9% of the Cowboys game. Ben definitely lost us the season, but it was by his absence due to injury, and not his overall play or mentality.

Ben was not scrambling the entire season. He was taking those measured, short throws. His completion percentage was way up and the receivers made plays. He gave that up when he returned. The running was still poor.

The gameplan yesterday was no different from Haley than it was at the beginning of the year with one exception - more no huddle to shut Ben up.

Ben was playing well the whole Cowboys game also, until the end. That interception that led to the loss was on him - he called it out of no huddle.

Draxal

Buahahahaha!

They didn't give a shit about the last two games and then they also lost focus in the NO game and they played like shit in the Redskins game. It's impractical to talk about blowing up the previous year's super bowl champ but it's disgusting that these millionaires can't be motivated enough to play the games in front of them. The talent is there, we saw it against the Packers, Niners, and in three quarters of the Saints game. It's disappointing, being a fan of a team that's complacent and doesn't give a fuck is awful.

This was a bad season. If I stand back and look at the 2012 Giants I can't even tell you what the fuck the team is. They don't have a good pass rush, they can't really run the ball, they can't pass, they can't do anything well for more than one game. Fuck this team, players and the coaching staff, for wasting this season. Can't blame the FO, the talent to win is all there and we weathered injuries with relative ease. Hopefully Jerry Reese can draft another Madden style auto-win dominating player like JPP was his previous two years before this one.

I think Reese has to take some of the blame here (Austin looks like a pure bum pick, and aside from Beatty our OL picks haven't panned out), and I'm a Reese fanboy.

In all honesty, I wonder if these's a front office/coaching staff schism as while Reese gets us good players (sans linebackers) I just wonder if he's not getting the right players that the coaches need.

The 2012 team is honestly Coughlin's worst coached year as he stayed loyal to players that he shouldn't of been loyal too, in Bradshaw (Brown should of gotten alot more playing time) and Diehl in addition to constantly trotting out a clearly hurt Nicks. This is like him putting O'Hara back in after O'hara was completely done in 2010.

Ænima

I hope so. Give us a better draft position at this point. No way the Bears, Vikings, and Cowboys all lose.
Vikings and Cowboys will definitely lose. So really all you have to hope for is that the Lions get their shit together, show some pride, and beat a Bears team that has been struggling for the entire second half of the season.

Yeah ok you are screwed.

squicken

Richard Sherman ‏@RSherman_25
I have some truly dedicated Coaches and teammates! On an off day and Christmas Eve the parking lot at the facility is practically full

Hate him and Pete and the Chickens but great culture there.

cajunator

Banned
So everybody's rooting for VIKEBIKE because we're the least threatening wildcard team? Fuck you guys!

Honestly I wouldnt mind seeing the Vikings or the Seahawks win it all. Yall never have and I just want to see what the ring looks like. now I finally know what a Saints ring looks like and it was pretty cool. Its time for a new team to win it that hasnt before.

Slo

Honestly I wouldnt mind seeing the Vikings or the Seahawks win it all. Yall never have and I just want to see what the ring looks like. now I finally know what a Saints ring looks like and it was pretty cool. Its time for a new team to win it that hasnt before.

grinch_zps784af25d.gif

Richard Sherman ‏@RSherman_25
I have some truly dedicated Coaches and teammates! On an off day and Christmas Eve the parking lot at the facility is practically full

Hate him and Pete and the Chickens but great culture there.

after he gets suspended for cheating the parking lot will have 1 less escalade in it (which is what i assume richard sherman drives)

cashman

Banned
So when the Redskins win next week, then all 3 teams will have knocked the Cowboys out of a playoff spot on the last week of the season in the last five years.

Ænima;45734390 said:
Vikings and Cowboys will definitely lose. So really all you have to hope for is that the Lions get their shit together, show some pride, and beat a Bears team that has been struggling for the entire second half of the season.

Yeah ok you are screwed.

Giants are done and i hope Philly wins so their fans can be happy about winning another NFC east SB...

squicken

after he gets suspended for cheating the parking lot will have 1 less escalade in it (which is what i assume richard sherman drives)

Sando has said a few times he thinks Wilson will be the divsiion's best QB simply b/c no one will work harder. Coming in on Mondays and watching film isn't just PR fluff. It's the kind of stuff that wins games

Sando has said a few times he thinks Wilson will be the divsiion's best QB simply b/c no one will work harder. Coming in on Mondays and watching film isn't just PR fluff. It's the kind of stuff that wins games

not too concerned about wussle. our defense came out flat last night, didn't seem like we did anything unique and didn't really have any interest in being there. harbaugh knows a bye week is the kiss of death so he sabotaged his own team, lomas brown style

MechDX

Having a chance to knock their divisional leader off from a number one seed is starter worthy. Do i sense a hince of fear mech?

After the debacle from yesterday I seriously wonder if we can beat the Colts 2nd stringers. I wouldnt play my starters if the game was complely meaningless for my team. yeah if no one gets hurt its a good call but what if Luck snaps a tendon or Wayne blows a knee? then its the dumbest decision ever.

After the debacle from yesterday I seriously wonder if we can beat the Colts 2nd stringers. I wouldnt play my starters if the game was complely meaningless for my team. yeah if no one gets hurt its a good call but what if Luck snaps a tendon or Wayne blows a knee? then its the dumbest decision ever.

why do bad things happen to good fans like us mechdx? why? what kind of god lets this happen?

Top Bottom