• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2023-2024 Season |OT| My Other Ride’s a Zamboni

image.gif

Durien

We shot ourselves early in the game but we pulled if off. I am telling you, the team coming back from behind game after game is giving me an ulcer...

Go Canucks!

I managed to catch the 3rd period of the Florida/Boston game. I was wondering if there was going to be anyone left to play. I get it though. The Canucks went through 3 years of getting knocked out of the playoffs by Chicago. This series is going to be crazy.

zAOnu2x.jpg

It’s about that time, the best time of year. The winds are getting colder, the leaves are starting to change, and the preseason is underway.

2023-2024 Season Schedule

Season Standings

Stats

Scores

Tickets

Cuddle up with a blanket and light a candle. Check your local listings and catch a little preseason before the real shit begins.
I’m watching the first Stars game broadcasted here, against the Avalanche.

Who’s your team? What are you expectations this year?

Canucks blow it every playoff season. I would be shocked if they didn't choke this year. Also, conflicted on Vancouver vs Edmonton. One one hand I am a BC native and have to support for the home team... on the other hand.. I am also partial to Edmonton. So if they win the second round, I will go with them.

Durien

Canucks blow it every playoff season. I would be shocked if they didn't choke this year. Also, conflicted on Vancouver vs Edmonton. One one hand I am a BC native and have to support for the home team... on the other hand.. I am also partial to Edmonton. So if they win the second round, I will go with them.
But Edmonton is not going to win the second round. Please remain seated :)

Durien

It would be nice if the 'nucks could surprise me once and win a Stanley cup. But they are cursed to choke at some point in the playoffs. This is a team I have been watching since 1994.
Yeah 2011 was heart breaking. After that OT win against Chicago in the first round, I thought Holy crap, we're gonna do it...I don't think our team now is as good as 2011 (honestly i don't think we'll be *that* good anytime soon) but we are finding ways to dig down deep and win. We might get lucky with the team coming out of the east too battered and tired to put up much a fight.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nice Trouba superman! Headhunter. If you watch the replay to the end, the last angle showed he tried to do a flying elbow!

Boston got embarrassed again today...anyone watch the game? Was it really that one sided?
Florida got a ton of PP goals, but it was still lopsided. Mid way through the game, Boston had 8 shots. And if Marchand is injured from that hit he got (it was hard to see if it was a check + punch to the face, or just a midice check), Boston is done.

Last edited:
No posts since Saturday?

DISAPPOINTMENT

Stars won again, round 2, 3-1.

The Hurricanes were down against the Rangers but have come back in the last two.

0vDqQxh.gif
GO

STARS

GO

HURRICANES!

FUCK THE AVALANCHE AND FUCK THE RANGERS!

ypFeSCf.gif

Last edited:

Durien

Fuuuuuu the last 2 minutes I went from cheering to wanting to flip the table. The Canucks were on their heels most of the game until they decided ok we have 10 minutes left I guess we'll turn it on.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Pickard looks pretty good. Let in one shot from the slot. And the second Van goal was a lucky bounce off a dman's stick and then off someone's ankle in front of a crowded net.

Definitely play him again next game.

Durien

blowing it implies they were ahead in games in the series, and they were never ahead.

the charging call on petey is bar none the worst call so far in these playoffs.
I think it is because he may have left his feet. I found it weird the ref in front of the play didn't call anything but the ref by the end boards was the one who called it.

I can tell you this, the canucks have to stop giving the Oilers power plays. It is ridiculous. Tochett is going to have an ulcer by the time the series is done. There have been some garbage calls yes, but there are also the legit calls too and in the first 5 minutes of the game, every damn game.

I think it is because he may have left his feet. I found it weird the ref in front of the play didn't call anything but the ref by the end boards was the one who called it.

I can tell you this, the canucks have to stop giving the Oilers power plays. It is ridiculous. Tochett is going to have an ulcer by the time the series is done. There have been some garbage calls yes, but there are also the legit calls too and in the first 5 minutes of the game, every damn game.
He jumped up but was not in stride. And Foegele was the one that made the hit, so to call Petey charging for receiving a check is beyond insanity. If that is charging then every hit is charging then.

I agree that penalties are literally playing with fire, considering how dangerous the oilers PP is.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
We've been spoiled with some great series all over so far.
Looking forward to Bos vs Fla & Dal vs Col tonight.

I predicted a Stars win in 6 let's see if my crystal ball was right 😁

Lol own goal fuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Hey man, decades of cynicism has caused me to think that way about the Vancouver Canucks. So ignore me. I have actually been really checked out with the Canucks since 2022, and found myself following Edmonton Oilers in the 2022-2023 season. I actually thought they had really good shot. My dad's side of the family hails from Edmonton. I have always been partial to the Oilers. Watching these two teams face locked in second round, I am interested in seeing where this is heading.

Durien

Hey man, decades of cynicism has caused me to think that way about the Vancouver Canucks. So ignore me. I have actually been really checked out with the Canucks since 2022, and found myself following Edmonton Oilers in the 2022-2023 season. I actually thought they had really good shot. My dad's side of the family hails from Edmonton. I have always been partial to the Oilers. Watching these two teams face locked in second round, I am interested in seeing where this is heading.
No worries man :) It has been a great series. If the canucks win the series, I've saved you a seat :)

Last edited:

Durien

Edmonton was 100% the better team tonight. Once again, edmonton scored first and had the canucks chasing the lead as usual. In each of the Oilers goals, canucks were standing around in the defensive zone watching the play. They weren't blocking shots, just standing there. Kane off the face off, they all literally stand there and watch.

Hopefully Canucks right the ship on Monday but Edmonton was the better team tonight and I am surprised they scored only 5...

Last edited:

Durien

My brother is a hockey fan and we give each other crap all the time. He follows the Kraken after following the Bruins all his life. He said since we "saw B's drink from the chalice multiple times" he is going to support the local team.

He sends me a text with "Boeser's out with blood clots. They snapped a picture of you receiving the news."

PoqBrSq.gif

Durien

Good luck to you all in the next round. Our anemic powerplay along with chasing a lead every game killed us. The Canucks did waaaaay better than I thought they were going to do this year. That is a good thing :)

Sorry for doom saying the Canucks... would love to see them with a cup in my lifetime. Really, where is the fucking motivation to knock Edmonton out? You think Edmonton in round two would have giving the 'nucks some drive. But as usual... as soon as their playoff season is over, their golfing season starts. I just call it tough love.

It will be interesting to see how well Edmonton fares.

Durien

Sorry for doom saying the Canucks... would love to see them with a cup in my lifetime. Really, where is the fucking motivation to knock Edmonton out? You think Edmonton in round two would have giving the 'nucks some drive. But as usual... as soon as their playoff season is over, their golfing season starts. I just call it tough love.

It will be interesting to see how well Edmonton fares.
You know, it would be cool to see a rivalry come out of this like the Chicago/Nucks of old. I still hate the damn Blackhawks but now it is kind of water under the bridge lol

man that was a frustrating loss. The scoresheet may indicate a close game but the oilers dominated from the start and deserved the win. Nucks only showed up in the last 8 mins. Can't win if you don't play a 60min game. They have to do something about that damn PP.

Dallas is a very deep team and well rested too so they should be able to exploit oilers' weakness. Skinner is still a god damn sieve.

Trogdor1123

I had total faith in the oil last night… to blow it. I was 100% expecting them to lose even with such a dominating performance.

Dallas will be a hard match for them.

I’m only a head in my hockey pool by a single point. My previous lead has been worn away more and more. By the weekend I expect I’ll be in second or third.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not surprised Oilers won. They dominated the series as a whole and Canucks stayed alive via their solid third string goalie. If he wasnt making lots of nice saves, Oilers could had score 2-3 more each game. Canucks offence disappeared. Petersson and Hughes invisible.

Anyone who didn't watch the series and just goes by the box scores of close games in a 7 game series, dont be fooled. Oilers dominated most of the games.

NYR vs Dallas in finals I say.

Florida vs NYR is tough. On one hand Florida seems deeper, but Bobby can be shaky sometimes. NYR Shesterkin is more reliable IMO so I go with Rags.

My pools are overall doing well. Tied for first in one! The other one I'm like 30th out of 100. But got all players remaining. But my Dallas guys are slacking off so much, I dont think I have enough horses to gain like 25 pts unless Pavelski and Hintz could actually get some decent pts. Robertson and Wyatt J are doing ok. If Dallas can go all the way, I might have a chance.

But the safe bet for me is if Oilers and NYR go to the final. At least I should be top 3 for the better pool I'm in.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

My brother got some money on Florida to win the whole thing - 11x payout. He got the odds during round one when it wasn't so obvious, won't get near those odds now.
I’m set with an oil/rangers final. If that happens I will win my hockey pool almost certainly (I’m in first right now and finally started increasing the gap). It would be a 18:1 payout…. That could buy me some Warhammer stuff!

I’m sure I’ll lose though lol. I don’t have enough faith in the oil

Top Bottom