• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL March 2013 |OT| Black History Forever

Cake Boss

Banned
In a bizarre twist to an already unusual story, Sportsnet.ca has discovered that the Flames were not only in danger of losing 2013 first- and third-round draft picks as compensation if the Avs hadn’t matched the O’Reilly contract, but they also would likely have had to surrender the player before ever getting him in uniform.

That’s because O’Reilly would have needed to clear waivers before joining the team’s roster.

The unsigned forward spent part of the NHL lockout playing with his brother, Cal, for Magnitogorsk in Russia. According to Metallurg coach Paul Maurice and KHL spokesman Shawn McBride, he appeared in games on Jan. 21 and Jan. 23 – both after the shortened NHL schedule was back underway – which meant that waivers were required before O’Reilly could return to the NHL as a free agent midway through the season.

Jeff Marek ‏@JeffMarek
So yes, Calgary would have lost the picks and the player.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013...tunate_colorado_avalanche_match_ryan_oreilly/

500px-HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

isI31Xop9KbUB.gif

Feaster, my gawd.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Haha oh man.

I imagine an even more hilarious scenario where Colorado doesn't match, ROR goes on waivers and then they claim him.

LOL that's hilarious.

Feaster is a genius, we just don't see it. Losing draft picks and O'Reilly is sheer brilliance that is beyond our comprehension.

pringles

That can't be right, can it??? How do they not have atleast one employee whose job it is to know stuff like that?

Would have been crazy if the Avs hadn't matched.

Merguson

Banned
Apparently the NHL/NHLPA has some sort of agreement in principle on realignment according to Kypreos.

If it's good, we should know more about it.

Apparently the NHL/NHLPA has some sort of agreement in principle on realignment according to Kypreos.

If it's good, we should know more about it.

An agreement so soon? We need a 10 day special with all the hockey analysts debating who cracked and why!

Chris R

Colorado is only 3 points out of the playoffs... If they play like they did in the 2nd and 3rd last night for the rest of the season watch out!

:(

No it appears that's the way it works, he wouldn't have had to go through waivers at all. Did seem way too stupid a mistake for even the Flames GM to make.
i thought that sounded too crazy to be true. so sportsnet is the one that didn't do their homework?

edit: but then, does it only apply to colorado, since he's their RFA, and not calgary's?

Canucks picked up Sestito on waivers from Philly.

Seems like another Weise: big guy with some offensive upside.

He scored his first NHL goal on December 15, 2010, against Roberto Luongo of the Vancouver Canucks in a 3-2 overtime loss. He scored his second NHL goal on December 23, 2010, against Cory Schneider, also of the Vancouver Canucks in a 7-3 losing effort.

Drafted by the Blue Jackets.

calder

Would have been the most unbelievably terrible/hilarious thing in hockey in years. Immediate firings in Calgary etc.

Damn lol.

Silexx

Looks like Sportsnet are the ones who didn't do their homework since everyone else is reporting that ROR would have been exempt from the waiver wire.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
If he'd have to clear Waivers in Calgary, wouldn't he also have to clear Waivers in Colorado to play?

Something definitely seems not right here.

Looks like Sportsnet are the ones who didn't do their homework since everyone else is reporting that ROR would have been exempt from the waiver wire.

"13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim."

"All Players on a Club’s Reserve List and Restricted Free Agent List will be exempt from the application of CBA 13.23 Waivers in the case of a mid-season signing.

For further clarity, if Club A trades such a Player to Club B and Club B signs the Player to an SPC, such Player will be exempt from the application of CBA 13.23."

He is not on the Flames reserve list but he is on Colorado's. If Colorado traded his rights to Calgary they could sign him safely.

sammich

It seems to be a weird situation that is can go either way to be honest.

The thing is if he would have to go through waivers if Col wouldnt match, then essentially no team would offer sheet ROR unless they were the last placed team(CLB?). So Col had a gun to ROR's head. No way would the NHLPA be ok with that. Im not sure that the NHL wouldnt be ok with that though. It keeps the players with their teams.

In either case i bet that it will be clarified/fixed asap.

Silexx

Wait, the first paragraph states that it only applies for the current season, so the Flames would just have to wait until next season to safely bring him up. I'm sure it would suck not to be able to play him but hardly the huge blunder this is being made out to be.

sammich

"13.23 In the event a professional or former professional Player plays in a league outside North America after the start of the NHL Regular Season, other than on Loan from his Club, he may thereafter play in the NHL during that Playing Season (including Playoffs) only if he has first either cleared or been obtained via Waivers. For the balance of the Playing Season, any such Player who has been obtained via Waivers may be Traded or Loaned only after again clearing Waivers or through Waiver claim."

"All Players on a Club’s Reserve List and Restricted Free Agent List will be exempt from the application of CBA 13.23 Waivers in the case of a mid-season signing.

For further clarity, if Club A trades such a Player to Club B and Club B signs the Player to an SPC, such Player will be exempt from the application of CBA 13.23."

He is not on the Flames reserve list but he is on Colorado's. If Colorado traded his rights to Calgary they could sign him safely.

It says A team, not THE team. Huge difference in interpreting what is meant by it.

The team would mean only colorado and calgary would get screwed.
A team would mean any player on anyones restricted list would be exempt.

NM.. as per TSN:

"And as NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly told TSN on Friday, O'Reilly would have had to clear waivers to join the Flames if he actually played in the KHL after the start of the NHL season on Jan. 19."

But i read that the NHL didnt even know that he played past the start of the NHL season. Either way, it now looks like the Avs saved the Flames.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Diaz and Bourque are still out indefinitely with concussions symptoms. Seems to be more severe than what BGally experienced.

Heretic

If he'd have to clear Waivers in Calgary, wouldn't he also have to clear Waivers in Colorado to play?

Something definitely seems not right here.

This is what I'm wondering too...

From reading the rules, wouldn't it be considered a trade too seeing as Calgary is giving something back?

Curufinwe

Good riddance to that scumbag.

huh?

Hes a goon.

Oh yeah, he hit Horton up high that one time, right?

Bryz called him Sestitov after he scored both goals in a 2-1 win over Tampa last month. He's actually got better hands for scoring than for fighting despite being a huge guy.

Ebbett sent back to Chicago. Guess Burrows or Raymond will slot in at centre. Maybe we'll see Kassian back with the Sedins.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Hansen-Burrows-Higgins
Raymond-Schroeder-Booth
Weise-Lapierre-Sestito

What are the odds of Brodeur playing Monday in Toronto? I got tickets to see him play one last time and he's on the IR =/

I was telling my friend and she was like, "I have no idea who that is" so I told her one of the best 3 goalies ever

Top Bottom