• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

I can see the city helping out with the Coliseum project if this actually happens. The Rose Bowl just got a big, expensive facelift though, so I'm not sure if there would be too much money going to Pasadena. They'd be better off spending on infrastructure to get people to and from the Rose Bowl. Right now, to get there from downtown, you have to take a bus, then a subway line, then another bus, then a specific shuttle. Not going to work.

The metro is supposed to extend to the Rose Bowl if the bid comes through. It would split from the gold in Pasadena.

In a dream world LA goes HAM if they get the bid and expand everything. Redline goes all the way to Northridge. Split the track at North Hollywood and go towards Burbank.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
The good news is that Sutter's probably the second best face-off guy on the Canucks now, after Horvat. So, yay?

Calamari41

41 > 38
The metro is supposed to extend to the Rose Bowl if the bid comes through. It would split from the gold in Pasadena.

In a dream world LA goes HAM if they get the bid and expand everything. Redline goes all the way to Northridge. Split the track at North Hollywood and go towards Burbank.

NP01-Los%20Angeles.gif

This shit right here. All day.

Good luck getting the Tolerant Leftists of the West Side to allow a line that brings filthy brown people into and through their neighborhoods, though.

imBask

Banned
I hope the Canucks don't become the new Oilers... I didn't mind laughing at the Oilers all the time, but I kinda like the Canucks

calder

I hope the Canucks don't become the new Oilers... I didn't mind laughing at the Oilers all the time, but I kinda like the Canucks

I disagree strongly with 2/3rds of your statement.

The Canucks' woes are more like the 2010-era Flames than the Oilers.

That is probably true. Dang.

If anyone might become the new Oilers, it's the Leafs. The Canucks will bounce back sooner then the Leafs ever will at their state.

That is also probably true. Silver lining!

This shit right here. All day.

Good luck getting the Tolerant Leftists of the West Side to allow a line that brings filthy brown people into and through their neighborhoods, though.

God damn it's so beautiful. Who cares about the transplants on the west side. GIVE ME THIS. I don't want to drive anymore.

Jblanks

If anyone might become the new Oilers, it's the Leafs. The Canucks will bounce back sooner then the Leafs ever will at their state.

Hiring a top 3 coach, a top 3 GM of the last 25 years, having a great draft, and actually doing a proper rebuild (so far) are in a worse state then having a GM that keeps making bad trades, has no real direction, and has had mediocre drafts is better (Virtanan over Nylander/Ehlers? Yikes)? Alright man.

And prospect pools aren't close.

On second thought, the deal isn't that bad, but I still feel like the Canucks should've been in a position of strength as the Penguins were probably more desperate to offload a pending UFA with their team near the cap.

Sutter scored 21 goals in a third-line defensive role with a rotating cast of linemates. He's better in faceoffs than Bonino. He's also good in the playoffs.

Bonino has better offensive stats but he was playing top PP minutes in Anaheim and had Vrbata on his wing in Vancouver. He's also inconsistent and a year older than Sutter.

Clendening showed potential but with Weber and Corrado ahead on the depth chart he was going to be fighting for a top six spot.

As pointed out, the 2nd and 3rd draft picks are closer than one might think.

My guess is that the Canucks never saw Bonino becoming a bonafide 2C and wasn't good enough defensively to be a solid 3C. With Sutter, they get a strong 3C and hope that Horvat or another prospect can slide into the 2C position soon. Clendening was the odd man out with 8 waiver-eligible defencemen signed

Hiring a top 3 coach, a top 3 GM of the last 25 years, having a great draft, and actually doing a proper rebuild (so far) are in a worse state then having a GM that keeps making bad trades, has no real direction, and has had mediocre drafts is better (Virtanan over Nylander/Ehlers? Yikes)? Alright man.

I did say might. For all we know in 5-10 years, I could be proven wrong and the Leafs become a powerhouse in the league.

Socreges

Banned
On second thought, the deal isn't that bad, but I still feel like the Canucks should've been in a position of strength as the Penguins were probably more desperate to offload a pending UFA with their team near the cap.

Sutter scored 21 goals in a third-line defensive role with a rotating cast of linemates. He's better in faceoffs than Bonino. He's also good in the playoffs.

Bonino has better offensive stats but he was playing top PP minutes in Anaheim and had Vrbata on his wing in Vancouver. He's also inconsistent and a year older than Sutter.

Clendening showed potential but with Weber and Corrado ahead on the depth chart he was going to be fighting for a top six spot.

As pointed out, the 2nd and 3rd draft picks are closer than one might think.

My guess is that the Canucks never saw Bonino becoming a bonafide 2C and wasn't good enough defensively to be a solid 3C. With Sutter, they get a strong 3C and hope that Horvat or another prospect can slide into the 2C position soon. Clendening was the odd man out with 8 waiver-eligible defencemen signed
You make good points, but:

Any reason why this shouldn't concern us?

You make good points, but:

Any reason why this shouldn't concern us?

Yeah I've seen that. I've also seen a chart that shows the Bonino line and Edler-Tanev as one of the better five-man units in the league (forgot what it measured). It doesn't measure everything (team systems, injuries, zone deployment, competition, etc.) but it is a cause for concern.

I've also seen tons of charts and analytics that show Sbisa as a thoroughly poor hockey player, yet he got a sizable extension, so maybe management doesn't care about fancy stats, or they know something we don't.

Only time will tell.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah I've seen that. I've also seen a chart that shows the Bonino line and Edler-Tanev as one of the better five-man units in the league (forgot what it measured). It doesn't measure everything (team systems, injuries, zone deployment, competition, etc.) but it is a cause for concern.

I've also seen tons of charts and analytics that show Sbisa as a thoroughly poor hockey player, yet he got a sizable extension, so maybe management doesn't care about fancy stats, or they know something we don't.

Only time will tell.
Maybe they're trying to tank this team under the facade of trying to compete so as to continue selling tickets and pleasing corporate sponsors!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Considering the second round pick came from Anaheim, the Canucks' deal was basically:

Bonino, Bieksa, and Clendening for Sutter + 3rd.

Terrific asset management, Benning.

zroid

Banned
Ah Johnston screwed up :lol

6x$4.33 is great.

That's pretty bad, but its 6x4.33... which is pretty good.

nah. people need to remember that the bridge contract doesn't exist anymore. 6 years including his prime for $5.5M would not be too bad at all. Coots is an underrated player. But yeah the actual contract is great for Philly

Tabris

If Canucks trade the Sedins, I'll have to take a break from watching & investing much.

I can suffer through multiple Oiler like seasons as long as I still have Sedinery.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/07/...uple-of-rough-years-want-to-win-in-vancouver/

“They (the Sedins) know there’s going to be a couple of rough years,” said Lindquist, but the twins believe their chance may come the following year.

Lindquist added that if the Sedins have it their way, they’ll stay in Vancouver until the end of their current contracts and possibly beyond, and they’d accept being in more of a supporting role rather than leading the team, “If they have a chance to win. That’s important to them.”

So while Hank’s outlook isn’t overly optimistic for the next two seasons, it’s somewhat exciting to hear him say (through a Swedish reporter) that the team could be elite again within three years.

Curufinwe

Ah Johnston screwed up :lol

6x$4.33 is great.

nah. people need to remember that the bridge contract doesn't exist anymore. 6 years including his prime for $5.5M would not be too bad at all. Coots is an underrated player. But yeah the actual contract is great for Philly

Well, Couturier actually did a a bridge contract. Two years at $1.75m, which was a steal for the Flyers. But that came after he had a rough second season in 12-13.

This third contract is not a steal, but it's good value, even if he never goes much over 40 points.

Top Bottom