• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

a9d03015-2760-43df-8056-d23af1969289.gif

giphy.gif

Samyy

Not surprised to see r/leafs and hfboards coming to the full defence of Matthews' comments, dude could probably murder someone and they would find a way to spin it as a good thing.

I'm not sure when r/leafs turned into a cesspool but seriously, any form of criticism to the players or management gets downvoted to all hell.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So some actual solid information about how our roster is shaping up. Going into camp AV said that the plan was going to be to have JT Miller start the season at center, basically making our center depth chart go Zibanejad-Hayes-Miller-Desharnais. This is no longer the case. JT is going to start the season at wing, due to the play in training camp of Lias Andersson, Filip Chytil, and Boo Nieves at center. Which pretty much guarantees that at least one of those three is making the opening night roster as a bottom six center, possibly even two or all three of them (with the others obviously as the 13 or 14 Fs).

All three of those guys are going to be in the roster tonight, so now it's a real fight between them to make the team. Gonna be about as fun as preseason can possibly be (which is to say, "not very," but at least it's something).

Right now I'm thinking opening night looks something like:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Zuccarello
Vesey-Hayes-Nash
Miller-Chytil-Buchnevich
Grabner-Desharnais-Lettieri (another surprise out of camp)
Andersson, Nieves, Fast (IR)

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Smith
Staal-DeAngelo
Holden/Pionk

Lundqvist
Pavelec

Realistically, Staal has no right being there. I would be absolutely shocked if he's not, though. Among the forwards, we haven't seen a lot of Puempel, which makes me think he's going to be on the outside looking in, though he will get a chance tonight. He is basically going to be fighting to keep Vinny Lettieri from taking his roster spot.

Blake Wheeler too
#NHLJets Blake Wheeler on Trump tweets. “It's been a slow boil. He's gone too far a few too many times. Felt right to take a stand.” #wfp

http://twitter.com/mikeoncrime/status/912347949715349505

Tampa’s owners would have JT’s back too, they are paying to remove confederate statues...

Cactus

Banned
Kristen Shilton ✔ @kristen_shilton
Auston Matthews well-spoken today on political climate in the ����. Supports athletes speaking out, but wouldn't kneel himself during anthem

Ok, not quite as bad as I thought. I was under the impression that he was against any player protesting during the anthem.

Socreges

Banned
Auston Matthews well-spoken today on political climate in the ����. Supports athletes speaking out, but wouldn't kneel himself during anthem

Ok, not quite as bad as I thought. I was under the impression that he was against any player protesting during the anthem.
So, both sides then. He said kneeling is dishonourable. That's at the heart of this protest. It isn't about people tweeting their displeasure with institutional racism.

Cactus

Banned
So, both sides then. He said kneeling is dishonourable. That's at the heart of this protest. It isn't about people tweeting their displeasure with institutional racism.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not absolving him of anything. His family apparently has a military background, so he's equating the act of kneeling with "dishonoring" American soldiers. That's a very narrow-minded and ignorant viewpoint considering how closely protesting the anthem is tied to race issues, but at least he isn't against the act of protesting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Sorry--when Dale Earnhardt Jr. of all people takes a more favorable stance than you do, you screwed up.

Cactus

Banned
Sorry--when Dale Earnhardt Jr. of all people takes a more favorable stance than you do, you screwed up.

I agree with you! (see my post above)

All I'm saying is that the original tweet that was posted makes it seem like Matthews is against other athletes kneeling during the anthem, which isn't true. Either way, I disagree with him.

Yawnier

Banned
Not surprised to see r/leafs and hfboards coming to the full defence of Matthews' comments, dude could probably murder someone and they would find a way to spin it as a good thing.

I'm not sure when r/leafs turned into a cesspool but seriously, any form of criticism to the players or management gets downvoted to all hell.

Apparently hfboards has a politics sub-forum but you have to have an account to go on it? Oh lawd I can only imagine the level of discourse on there.

Blake Wheeler too

http://twitter.com/mikeoncrime/status/912347949715349505

Tampa’s owners would have JT’s back too, they are paying to remove confederate statues...

Good guy Wheeler.

WEE WITTLE BAYBEEEE AWWWW

I think you are? Silver was the youngest (RIP) so I don't know who holds that title anymore

I’m 22 too

I think Creeper and I are the youngest with Silver being perma'd.

fucking yungins

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't you closer to my age Shadow? If true, You're pretty close to a yungin yourself :p.

yyzjohn

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I'm not absolving him of anything. His family apparently has a military background, so he's equating the act of kneeling with "dishonoring" American soldiers. That's a very narrow-minded and ignorant viewpoint considering how closely protesting the anthem is tied to race issues, but at least he isn't against the act of protesting.

To be fair, the entire thing over the weekend that precipitated all the questions around this is in direct response to Trump calling NFL players "sons of bitches" if they knelt during the anthem. A lot of those guys were kneeling to protest against Trump and not because of the original issue. Now it's suddenly a hot button topic in sports, which side do you stand on? Kneel or stand? I'd be interested to know exactly what question they asked Matthews, if they even mentioned the racism angle or just framed it as "do you consider it disrespectful to kneel during the anthem?" Matthews also said he believed everyone had the right to voice their own opinion, unlike Trump's stance.

Solo

Speaking of JOE, I'm tempted to get his #92 jersey as he'll be around for the foreseeable future, however there is this little voice in my mind I keep hearing that says "wait til the 2018-2019 season - Galchenyuk will be traded and Drouin will be wearing #27".

Ondor

Banned
Speaking of JOE, I'm tempted to get his #92 jersey as he'll be around for the foreseeable future, however there is this little voice in my mind I keep hearing that says "wait til the 2018-2019 season - Galchenyuk will be traded and Drouin will be wearing #27".
I would listen to that little voice of yours.

Cactus

Banned

That's very concerning.

imBask

Banned

Galchenyuk is so soff that Joe could literally just tell him he's using 27 now and I doubt he'd say anything

Pikma

Banned
Always assume the worst from NHL players.

A lot of them were already exposed as Trump supporters earlier this year, why would their teammates, who grew up in the same conditions as them and hang out with the exact same people, be any different.

They are a bunch of rich uneducated dumbasses

Expecting deeply woke af responses - to media folks looking for a hot comment - from a 20 year old seems like the kind of thing to do if you love disappointment.

I did expect more awareness from Crosby though. He's been in the 'game' long enough to know better, and has the requisite stature to effect change - or at least initiate conversation.

Pikma

Banned
Expecting deeply woke af responses - to media folks looking for a hot comment - from a 20 year old seems like the kind of thing to do if you love disappointment.

I did expect more awareness from Crosby though. He's been in the 'game' long enough to know better, and has the requisite stature to effect change - or at least initiate conversation.
Age and/or experience is absolutely not an excuse, let alone the reason, these people are showing support for a scumbag

Socreges

Banned
I agree with you! (see my post above)

All I'm saying is that the original tweet that was posted makes it seem like Matthews is against other athletes kneeling during the anthem, which isn't true. Either way, I disagree with him.
Well...

Jonas Siegel @jonassiegel
Auston Matthews says he isn't the type to kneel during an anthem. Says he considers it a "dishonour" to those who "fight for that flag.
I mean, it's more nuanced/neutered than Trump's outright objection to kneeling, but it's effectively the same position.

yyzjohn

Banned
Well...

I mean, it's more nuanced/neutered than Trump's outright objection to kneeling, but it's effectively the same position.

So since Colin Kaepernick, you suddenly have to kneel during the anthem to show that you're against the systemic racism that's been part of the U.S. for hundreds of years? Who decided this is the correct form of protest now? Like I said, a bunch of those guys yesterday were protesting against Trump and his words, not against the original racism angle.

Age and/or experience is absolutely not an excuse, let alone the reason, these people are showing support for a scumbag

Didn't say it was.

But no, I don't think Matthews saying that he doesn't agree with the kneeling, but respects people's right to kneel, makes him a frothy-mouthed Trumpist. That's a harsh judgement to to make based upon 1 conversation that none of us were around to hear.

The free speech argument gets made a lot as if it shields a person from the consequences. That's definitely an ignorant position to take, and Matthews is young enough to be ignorant in that way. And if that's what's going on, he'll either learn or he won't. Crosby has zero excuse though.

Alucard

Banned
Yeah, try to stay out of comments sections during this sports protests discussion. A lot of people are equating it with disrespect for the military or "the flag," which is an abject misreading of what athletes have been doing.

Pikma

Banned
Didn't say it was.

But no, I don't think Matthews saying that he doesn't agree with the kneeling, but respects people's right to kneel, makes him a frothy-mouthed Trumpist. That's a harsh judgement to to make based upon 1 conversation that none of us were around to hear.

Well then what does this mean?

See, you are more than free to give him the benefit of doubt for whatever valid or invalid reasons you come up with, just don't mind me if I don't

Cactus

Banned
Yeah, try to stay out of comments sections during this sports protests discussion. A lot of people are equating it with disrespect for the military or "the flag," which is an abject misreading of what athletes have been doing.

I've been actively avoiding comments on social media sites for years. I've been told that they've been getting even worse recently...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

I've been hating Crosby long enough to expect exactly the response we got from him.

In other news...
Speaking of Russian collusion, Henrik Lundqvist's heir apparent Igor Shestyorkin is currently 9-0-0 on the season in the KHL, with a 1.38 GAA, .946 Sv%, and 2 shutouts.
Make that 10-0-0, 1.34 GAA, .951 Sv%, and 2 shutouts. In 49 appearances since the start of last season: 41-4-1, 1.58 GAA, .940 Sv%, 10 shutouts.

Pikma

Banned
I've been hating Crosby long enough to expect exactly the response we got from him.

In other news...

Make that 10-0-0, 1.34 GAA, .951 Sv%, and 2 shutouts. In 49 appearances since the start of last season: 41-4-1, 1.58 GAA, .940 Sv%, 10 shutouts.
Holy shit at those stats

Top Bottom