• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Penis Oreo isn't as bad as Bargain Bin, I think they realize they need a legit game breaker up front, how they get that is entirely up in the air.

A lot of good work done in the past months, this season could be used a building block for the future.

Looking forward to the future with Chabot and White in the lineup :)

Really hope Vegas doesn't pick Claesson in the expansion draft... IMO he was our 3rd best dman in the Pens series.

bigJP

im not believing in the sergachev hype... been burned way too often
tinordi, latendresse, leblanc, jacob "staal" de la rose, fucale, and the list goes on and on.

each one hyped to no end.
can even add beaulieu and galchenyuk to the list...

Cake Boss

Banned
Looking forward to the future with Chabot and White in the lineup :)

Really hope Vegas doesn't pick Claesson in the expansion draft... IMO he was our 3rd best dman in the Pens series.

Its gonna be either Methot or Wideman, more likely Wideman because hes cheaper and younger.

I loved Cleasson, if we trade Ceci (replaced by Chabot) for some help at forward, the defence will be much better for it.

I can't believe we got 11 playoff wins with Phagoof-Ceci as our 2nd pairing, Boucher tha gawd.

and was sent down because he was struggling hard.

He was sent down because there was no room for him on the Roster. He'd be scratched for most of the time and that could hinder his development that's why we sent him back so he wouldn't be cooked up in the press box and play meaningful minutes in junior so he can be ready for next season in Montreal.

I dunno he seems to be doing fine at the memorial cup. He's our future top pairing defenceman with Webhead.

imBask

Banned
He was sent down because there was no room for him on the Roster. He'd be scratched for most of the time and that could hinder his development that's why we sent him back so he wouldn't be cooked up in the press box and play meaningful minutes in junior so he can be ready for next season in Montreal.

I dunno he seems to be doing fine at the memorial cup. He's our future top pairing defenceman with Webhead.

Memorial cup? you mean that tournament where Henrik Samuelsson dominated that one year?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like bask is trying too hard to be negative so he's not burned by disappointment.

On the other hand, Montreal management and drafting has given no real reason to believe in their picks lately.

Sergachev will be good imo,
top pairing? Let's see how he deals with the NHL first

Well if Boucher follows the pattern in Tampa we will miss the playoffs next year....

I don't trust Dorion to make the right moves next year. He will resign Ceci and Boro to 7 year extensions. Chabit and White are 2 things he can't fuck up but I wonder where the roster spot will come from.

No one on the blue line can move the puck out except EK. Chabot could improve this but that may not happen right away.

Anderson is getting old, we don't really have a replacement in waiting. We used to have 2!!!

Impressive run this year. But they always fall back to earth the following year, hope that changes. I'm just too cynical now.

Its gonna be either Methot or Wideman, more likely Wideman because hes cheaper and younger.

I loved Cleasson, if we trade Ceci (replaced by Chabot) for some help at forward, the defence will be much better for it.

I'm convinced they will never trade Ceci. He is fucking terrible but he's from Ottawa so who cares. He's borderline Cowen at this point.

I'd be OK with losing Methot. They need the $$$ for EK next contract.

Claesson better stay.

Silexx

I wouldn't be surprised if they leave Dzingel exposed and he gets drafted. It would hurt, but I think we could get past it.

imBask

Banned
I feel like bask is trying too hard to be negative so he's not burned by disappointment.

On the other hand, Montreal management and drafting has given no real reason to believe in their picks lately.

Sergachev will be good imo,
top pairing? Let's see how he deals with the NHL first

With Subban in the Cup Final when the whole point of trading him was to win now, this is probably the most cynical i've ever been about the Canadiens

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Well if Boucher follows the pattern in Tampa we will miss the playoffs next year....

I don't trust Dorion to make the right moves next year. He will resign Ceci and Boro to 7 year extensions. Chabit and White are 2 things he can't fuck up but I wonder where the roster spot will come from.

No one on the blue line can move the puck out except EK. Chabot could improve this but that may not happen right away.

Anderson is getting old, we don't really have a replacement in waiting. We used to have 2!!!

Impressive run this year. But they always fall back to earth the following year, hope that changes. I'm just too cynical now.

I'm convinced they will never trade Ceci. He is fucking terrible but he's from Ottawa so who cares. He's borderline Cowen at this point.

I'd be OK with losing Methot. They need the $$$ for EK next contract.

Claesson better stay.

I'm ok with Ceci as a 3rd pairing d-man, but feel he's being way overplayed right now for what he offers. Same with Boro, I'm ok with him being a semi-regular, playing against more physical teams but generally sitting most games.

It's gonna be painful losing Methot if Vegas takes him, he's the type of heart and soul guy you want for the playoffs. Best case scenario would be if Vegas takes Wideman, good regular season d-man but I think the physical play of the playoffs hurt his game.

Also looking forward to some rookies taking the next step in their development, like Claesson, Dzingle and Harpur. Stone and Hoffman have some room to grow as well.

Conflicted about Ryan, Brass and Burrows. Ryan was a no show in the season but was a beast in the playoffs, Brass showed up sometimes during both and Burrows was a no show after his first game in a Sens uniform. I'd like to keep Ryan, if only for the playoffs, but he makes so much damn money.

Looking at things in a more glass half full way, atleast I can skip SCF games guilt free next week while I'm on my honeymoon ;)

Cake Boss

Banned
I hope they take Wideman instead, our prospect depth is at defense and can sustain his loss next season with Chabot, Harpur, Englund and Jaros coming.

The #1 issue with the team right now is that it can't be complacent, and just looking to improve from within, the division will be even tougher next season with Tampa healthier, Toronto improving, Florida finally getting a coach and GM, Buffalo possibly improving as well with a new GM and coach.

Like I said before we need an impact game breaking forward, preferably one that plays center, I don't think there is a Seguin or a Johansson available though but who knows. Maybe a Jeff Carter is available or maybe a 1 year contract to Joe Thornton I wouldn't oppose too much.

Turris contract is up soon and most likely going to command 6m+, I wouldnt be opposed to packaging him up for a proper #1 center if that even exsists out there.

I wouldn't be surprised if they leave Dzingel exposed and he gets drafted. It would hurt, but I think we could get past it.

A healthy and motivated Ryan and next level Pageau can more than make up for a Dzingel loss. The question is if they can play like that consistently.

We need a 70 pt player to help Norisson. Get rid of Ceci and Boro, Claesson and Harpur were excellent. Chabot is coming so there is legit no more room for him.

Turris, Liege, Brass, Hoff, Ryan, Stone (probably our best forward) are all good to great players, but we really need that game breaker up there that is always a constant threat.

Silexx

I think there's still a legitimate window to make a run next year as I think the division will still be wide open. I think management is smart enough to realize that there's a real shot to be had, it's just a question of whether they know which moves need to be made in order to give this team the chance they need.

The downside is that I think the window will close after the next season. Too many expiring contracts that will command dollars and term that the Sens, even if they were a cap team, can't accommodate all of them, at least not with the other contracts already in place and we can't expect the other team in the division to continue being 'on the verge of breaking out'.

I feel confidant that the Sens will re-sign Karlsson when the time comes, the problem is that will they have room to surround him with anything of value?

A healthy and motivated Ryan and next level Pageau can more than make up for a Dzingel loss. The question is if they can play like that consistently.

We need a 70 pt player to help Norisson. Get rid of Ceci and Boro, Claesson and Harpur were excellent. Chabot is coming so there is legit no more room for him.

Turris, Liege, Brass, Hoff, Ryan, Stone (probably our best forward) are all good to great players, but we really need that game breaker up there that is always a constant threat.

I see you guys going after RNH. I think he would fit great in Ottawa or a winger like TJ Oshie or Justin Williams

Silexx

I see you guys going after RNH. I think he would fit great in Ottawa or a winger like TJ Oshie or Justin Williams

Is Edmonton even looking to dangle RNH? I know he didn't have a great post-season, but it seems like there was still hope there. I figure Eberle is the one they want to unload.

Is Edmonton even looking to dangle RNH? I know he didn't have a great post-season, but it seems like there was still hope there. I figure Eberle is the one they want to unload.

Oh shit I forgot about Eberle. Yeah I see him or RNH going. There's going to some sort tiny shake up in Edmonton, either one of those guys could go.

Cake Boss

Banned
I think there's still a legitimate window to make a run next year as I think the division will still be wide open. I think management is smart enough to realize that there's a real shot to be had, it's just a question of whether they know which moves need to be made in order to give this team the chance they need.

The downside is that I think the window will close after the next season. Too many expiring contracts that will command dollars and term that the Sens, even if they were a cap team, can't accommodate all of them, at least not with the other contracts already in place and we can't expect the other team in the division to continue being 'on the verge of breaking out'.

I feel confidant that the Sens will re-sign Karlsson when the time comes, the problem is that will they have room to surround him with anything of value?

Other than Stone and Turris after next season, there isn't much to sign. Brassard, and Burrows will be UFAs after 2 seasons from now, and will likely be replaced by White and Paul from within.

Karlsson will be a big one, $9M+.
Stone and Turris will ask for $6M+ each.

I think this team has decent hybrid of older players and still legit prospects coming in like Chabot, White, Brown, Chlapik, Perron, Englund, Jaros, Paul and Lajoie hopefully making an impact.

Merguson

Banned
I guess Dubas and Colorado isn't a thing anymore.

”I believe the window is closed. I don't think he'll be going. And I believe that Toronto closed the window. That initially they were willing to let him go, and then they weren't. And so I think that's kind of where it stands here.
https://www.fanragsports.com/news/friedman-believe-window-closed-avalanche-dubas/

The scenario is a bit strange but it does indicate that Mark Hunter is probably the future GM if Dubas is allowed to talk to other teams.

Silexx

Big challenge for Dorion, if he wants to make any significant moves, is that Ottawa only has $6 million in cap space heading into next season. Pretty much means that any contract we take has to send the equivalent amount back, unless Melnyk sticks to his word of opening the cheque book once this team becomes a contender.

The scenario is a bit strange but it does indicate that Mark Hunter is probably the future GM if Dubas is allowed to talk to other teams.

Might just be that teams aren't asking after Hunter.

Or maybe Elliotte just got some details of the story wrong. Sounds like he was inferring a lil bit in his 1st report.

Parch

Both RNH and Eberle could go. Oilers are disappointed with the production for the cost so they want to move some salary to sign Russell and remodel the 2nd line. If anybody wants Pouliot for free they'd move him for the salary dump.

Parch

Nice try from the Sens. So close. They could use a couple of pieces to round out that roster and give Karlsson more support.

Not a big fan of that system though. Karlsson isn't enough to counter the borefest they try to play. Give him a first line that can generate some excitement and get some powerplay points and maybe Sens tickets will be something people actually want.

Still a good run for them though. They could have beaten the Predators and stolen a Cup. They were really really close to making that happen.

Socreges

Banned
Nice try from the Sens. So close. They could use a couple of pieces to round out that roster and give Karlsson more support.

Not a big fan of that system though. Karlsson isn't enough to counter the borefest they try to play. Give him a first line that can generate some excitement and get some powerplay points and maybe Sens tickets will be something people actually want.

Still a good run for them though. They could have beaten the Predators and stolen a Cup. They were really really close to making that happen.
Parch, why do you always come across as so salty

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Well my odds tell me He's going to be a better defenceman next season for Montreal than Markov or Petry.

whiguyblink.gif

There's a very good chance he doesn't even make the roster next season......

imBask

Banned
Wasn't Sergachev a fairly obvious pick at #9? Definitely could have been taken sooner

let me add this then :eek:ne of them will be developed by the worst development team in the NHL

wait both would

wait did I just find the problem with the Montreal Canadiens? 🤔

Top Bottom