• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni No Kuni Collector's Edition for EU/NA [failure level well beyond critical mass]

Cbajd5

I assume NB is buying them from Prima? I mean, otherwise, all this will do is hurt Prima.

They'll say they'll buy them but cancel their payment as soon as they have the guides.

I'm having fun now.

EDITING IS ESSENTIAL: Why are they unable to produce more anyway? It hurts no one but the people who didn't get them. At least they should make more of the NinoStarter stuff for those who are ordering the EU versions.

It's good to see NA fans will get some compensation for this, at least you can save the coupon till Ni No Kuni is back in stock at Club Namco, and a free copy of the first print run Guide with some DLC. Sounds like a reprint is out of the question for NA though

Argyle

Differing product codes didn't stop Asian versions of games from being compatible with DLC from either US or Japanese PSN stores. For example, the Asian FFXIII-2 English dubbed version is compatible with DLC from the US store as well as from the Asian stores.

Was the actual product code on the disc different? I'm not sure what the best way to check this would be, maybe you could check by copying the savegame to a USB drive and seeing what directory it is stored in. I know many Asian versions are really just the Japanese discs with a different case and manual, so they would be compatible in that case - not really the same case as a typical European version of a game.

kirby2096

Was the actual product code on the disc different? I'm not sure what the best way to check this would be, maybe you could check by copying the savegame to a USB drive and seeing what directory it is stored in. I know many Asian versions are really just the Japanese discs with a different case and manual, so they would be compatible in that case - not really the same case as a typical European version of a game.

This isn't just a typical European release though, because it seems the US version is the copy! If that's the case why are we getting it after it's come out in the US? :x

Argyle

This isn't just a typical European release though, because it seems the US version is the copy! If that's the case why are we getting it after it's come out in the US? :x

Shrug, if it was exactly the same wouldn't it be more likely they would launch at the same time? I don't know...

All I do know is that the product code on the disc determines where on the hard drive the game will look for DLC, and this is generally what causes DLC to be incompatible between regions.

Vamphuntr

EDITING IS ESSENTIAL: Why are they unable to produce more anyway? It hurts no one but the people who didn't get them. At least they should make more of the NinoStarter stuff for those who are ordering the EU versions.

Namco Bandai doesn't have their own personal factory to print the collectables and the book. It means they had to contract a company to produce them in advance and for a specific number of items.

It's not like they are flipping a switch in their basement.

Knight77

Also, the italian adaptation (text only) seems to be very good, judging by the PR. Very funny work on some names, like the "elettroquaglia" in the DLC, and in the title too (Strega Cinerea/Ash Witch instead of the generic White Witch).

As Italian I am absolutely disappointed since watching some videos I found that they decided to make the character talking in dialet of rome (city), one of the most stupid ideas ever, really shitty idea Namco Italy. Totally ruin the game. I'll play it with Japanese voice and English stubs. It's a pitty that Amazon UK sold out the wizard edition otherwise I would have bought it there instead of giving my money to the Italian division of Namco.

Trust me if you are not Italian you cannot get how bad is this idea...

Yuterald

Wait, so there's not going to be a reprint for those who got dicked out of their orders? Just a compensation in the form of a strategy guide and a $20 discount at club-whatever? Barf. =(

Cbajd5

Namco Bandai doesn't have their own personal factory to print the collectables and the book. It means they had to contract a company to produce them in advance and for a specific number of items.

It's not like they are flipping a switch in their basement.

I know that, all that means is they have to contract someone again to produce them.

I know it'd take time as well, but it's better than them not doing it.

Quadratic

I cancelled my amazon.ca strategy guide order right now. I hope we're not being lied to about this because the hardcover guide is now getting hard to find too.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the German Wizard edition. What I really wanted was the book anyways.

I pray amazon.de has enough stock to take care of all these overseas orders coming their way.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Ok, that's a pretty good deal for the unlucky few. $20 and a $30 guide for free seems very reasonable. For those saying giving the guide is just a push for you to buy the game, I agree, but consider the other possibility: They give out free games after people have already given up and bought the regular game, and now they will have an extra copy for no reason. I think the guide is a pretty nice compromise.

i already ordered the guide! what i want is the Wizard's Companion book! wtf?! isn't that why we ordered a Wizard Edition? why are you giving us something we can buy off Amazon and a million other online book retailers?!

The official reason given was 'logistics' that were 'out of their control'. Even the regular editions were affected though so... :/

By the way, wasn't there something about us EU folks getting some bonus familiars as compensation for the delay? Will those be on vouchers inside the box, or as free dlc on the PSN store? Do we know any details about that?

madhtr

By the way, wasn't there something about us EU folks getting some bonus familiars as compensation for the delay? Will those be on vouchers in the box, or as free dlc on the PSN store? Do we know any details about that?

It's a draggle and it'll likely be in the case, and all DLC familiars are available the moment you're given the ability to serenade others.

Ok, that's a pretty good deal for the unlucky few. $20 and a $30 guide for free seems very reasonable. For those saying giving the guide is just a push for you to buy the game, I agree, but consider the other possibility: They give out free games after people have already given up and bought the regular game, and now they will have an extra copy for no reason. I think the guide is a pretty nice compromise.

Yeah, but the game is sold out. The guide is getting there, too. But it actually shipped when it was supposed to, so if you wanted it day 1 you got it.

Agree with you, especially for the people who ordered on the 17th. They were kinda not even supposed to get a WE since they missed out last summer. Now they have a 20$ off and a free CE guide. On the 16th they had fuck all, on the 25th they have a 20$ off and a CE guide for free. Not a bad deal, just sucks for the let down. However, if I would have not get the WE I ordered last summer, no amount of guide would suffice to calm me down.

It's a draggle and it'll likely be in the case, and all DLC familiars are available the moment you're given the ability to serenade others.

Thanks! So that would be 5 DLC familiars for me then, wonder if they'll actually be any good, heh.

Did the Japanese version of the game have many DLC familiars?

Cheska

i already ordered the guide! what i want is the Wizard's Companion book! wtf?! isn't that why we ordered a Wizard Edition? why are you giving us something we can buy off Amazon and a million other online book retailers?!

It's better than nothing. Sure, they had a huge mess up but they very well could have just ignored all the complaints and went on with other business.

It's better than nothing. Sure, they had a huge mess up but they very well could have just ignored all the complaints and went on with other business.

and to use that $20 coupon we have to deal with Digital River yet again. that $20 coupon will just pay the shipping cost to canada. it's as good as me buying the game new from any ebgames here.

Cbajd5

Unless they're switching their "E-commerce provider", aka Digital River, I have no confidence I'll actually get the guide & I'm already sure I won't be able to use my coupon, not that I want to, making that worthless. So for pointlessly raising my hopes for a moment before bringing them down disappointment again, this is worse than nothing.

Edit:

i guess the Prima guide is gonna saturate eBay next

Yeah, but it's only going to bring down the prices because of how many could potentially go up.

thuway

Gentelmen its time to start your Wizard edition petitions :). I think if enough people commit to buying one on their CC, it would have precedance for a reprint.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
and to use that $20 coupon we have to deal with Digital River yet again. that $20 coupon will just pay the shipping cost to canada. it's as good as me buying the game new from any ebgames here.
So.. you ordered the guide and not the game to spite Namco?

You've made it pretty clear that you're going to be pissed off no matter what, we get it.

So.. you ordered the guide and not the game to spite Namco?

You've made it pretty clear that you're going to be pissed off no matter what, we get it.

wow, you imagination sure is wild and wrong. i ordered the guide to go along with my supposed wizard edition. now my guide is being shipped when they cancelled my wiz ed.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
wow, you imagination sure is wild and wrong. i ordered the guide to go along with my supposed wizard edition. now my guide is being shipped when they cancelled my wiz ed.
Return the guide. This is minimal effort. Effort sure, but hey, make the best of it. Save yourself the anger, dude. Seriously.

Edit: Magpul knows what's up.

Return the guide. This is minimal effort. Effort sure, but hey, make the best of it. Save yourself the anger, dude. Seriously.

Edit: Magpul knows what's up.

yeah, just like what namco is doing: minimal effort. they probably just contacted Prima and asked who's printing the guides (hint: the guides are still being printed, they were sold out but they're get re-stocked a day after Ni No Kuni's release date), then asked to print 300 copies more for them, at discounted bulk price. they couldn't bother to print the wizard companion, despite it being smaller and having lesser pages.

malfcn

Do I sit around and wait or what? Because I bitched yesterday to DR and they said they were sending the $20 off coupon. Haven't got it yet.

And Namco, the only way to make sure this doesn't happen again is to tell Digital River to go fuck themselves and use a distributor that knows how to run a goddamn business properly.

what are you gonna buy off their website? ni no kuni doesn't even show up on search.

To make sure we get a guide.

Top Bottom